Page 3 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Pondering
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2013, 3:47 am

What I get from this is- You believe other people should take up feminism because you have flaws and it would make you feel better if we were all more forgiving of those flaws, and you think feminism will make us more forgiving or understanding.

The problem with that thought process is that your incompetence and ditzy personality will be looked at negatively by not just males, but females, and feminists of both gender. Just hang out with nicer people. I'm not a feminist or a male rights activist, or whatever these people call themselves now, nor do I want to be, but I have respect and believe in equality.

I don't think your "problem" is relative to gender roles. You have a personality flaws that can be improved and you might want to be around nicer people.

Tyri0n wrote:
Part of being on the spectrum/NVLD is being gender atypical to a greater or lesser extent. Most men and women with one of these disorders cannot match the full expectations of sexist society their gender (for women, being empathetic caretakers, for men, being go-getters/taking initiative/being providers, among other things); many deviate from gender norms in much more extreme ways.

I have a general incompetence and ditziness that society associates with blond women. It's due to NVLD.

By trying to erode traditional gender roles, it would seem that feminism would do a big favor to both aspie men and women.

Why am I wrong?

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Douchebag Capital of the World (aka Washington D.C.)

23 Feb 2013, 8:05 pm

Pondering wrote:
What I get from this is- You believe other people should take up feminism because you have flaws and it would make you feel better if we were all more forgiving of those flaws, and you think feminism will make us more forgiving or understanding.

The problem with that thought process is that your incompetence and ditzy personality will be looked at negatively by not just males, but females, and feminists of both gender. Just hang out with nicer people. I'm not a feminist or a male rights activist, or whatever these people call themselves now, nor do I want to be, but I have respect and believe in equality.

I don't think your "problem" is relative to gender roles. You have a personality flaws that can be improved and you might want to be around nicer people.

Tyri0n wrote:
Part of being on the spectrum/NVLD is being gender atypical to a greater or lesser extent. Most men and women with one of these disorders cannot match the full expectations of sexist society their gender (for women, being empathetic caretakers, for men, being go-getters/taking initiative/being providers, among other things); many deviate from gender norms in much more extreme ways.

I have a general incompetence and ditziness that society associates with blond women. It's due to NVLD.

By trying to erode traditional gender roles, it would seem that feminism would do a big favor to both aspie men and women.

Why am I wrong?

To an extent, but I don't think it's that bad for people to notice directly most of the time. It tends to manifest itself in terms of not being assertive or other habits or beliefs not directly related to incompetence or autism. Example: it seems like my field women always want to take public interest jobs while men always gravitate towards Type A private sector jobs in large law firms that require working 100 hours a week. I am smart enough to know that avoiding stress and having plenty of recharge time is an important part of managing my symptoms, so I am one of the few guys going into public interest work. I could not work 100 hours a week or in any stressful job for that matter without my autism regressing. I HAVE to have a low-stress government job.

If gender were more equal and fluid, you would have equal numbers of men and women going into both, and I wouldn't look like a "loser" for working at a federal agency instead of a Wall Street firm.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2013, 10:12 pm

MCalavera wrote:
I never said feminists never spoke out against FGM anyway. It's not that I'm here to deny reality. It's just that there's some unusual bias that goes on in favor of feminism where feminism does things for men that other movements supposedly don't. I'm all for equal human rights for both genders, and I know that you are the same. But this means, in my book, that you're a feminist and an egalitarian. I don't equate the two together. Whether men benefit or not indirectly from feminism, feminism has always been about women's rights. I still don't fathom what more do women want in the Western world, seeing how women have just as much freedom as men do now.

How many feminists you know speak out against male circumcision by the way?

Of the dozen or so prominent feminists I follow, probably three or so are vocally against MGM. I personally see it as none of my business, in the same way that abortion isn't really men's business; if I ever had a son, I'd leave it entirely up to the dad.

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2013, 11:05 pm

LKL wrote:
MCalavera wrote:
I never said feminists never spoke out against FGM anyway. It's not that I'm here to deny reality. It's just that there's some unusual bias that goes on in favor of feminism where feminism does things for men that other movements supposedly don't. I'm all for equal human rights for both genders, and I know that you are the same. But this means, in my book, that you're a feminist and an egalitarian. I don't equate the two together. Whether men benefit or not indirectly from feminism, feminism has always been about women's rights. I still don't fathom what more do women want in the Western world, seeing how women have just as much freedom as men do now.

Of the dozen or so prominent feminists I follow, probably three or so are vocally against MGM. I personally see it as none of my business, in the same way that abortion isn't really men's business; if I ever had a son, I'd leave it entirely up to the dad.

There's really nothing wrong with male circumcision. There are bigger issues to worry about.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2013, 11:19 pm

Tyri0n wrote:
LKL wrote:
MCalavera wrote:

There's really nothing wrong with male circumcision. There are bigger issues to worry about.

I dunno, I'm a feminist and I think male circumcision is very important. I'm personally against it.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2013, 11:43 pm

I'm circumsized nothing I can do about it but just live with it. Like being born an aspie nothing I can do about it but live with it.

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2013, 12:01 am

Once when cruising down a Kansas highway I saw a billboard with a giant baby on it,I was sure it would be a pro-life ad,nope,as I got closer it said in giant letters;
Stop Circumcision Babies Are Born Perfect

There are quite a few men here that were home birth and they were not "clipped".
I didn't have my son circumcised,I didn't see any need to do that to him.

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2013, 12:47 am

AspieOtaku wrote:
I'm circumsized nothing I can do about it but just live with it. Like being born an aspie nothing I can do about it but live with it.

Lol, no comparison. I'm circumcised, too. All it means is that girls enjoy the sex more because it lasts longer, even if I don't necessarily enjoy it at all. :roll: That's about it. That, and I have less of a chance of getting HIV.

I don't see what it has to do with feminism though. There are bigger issues to worry about though.

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2013, 12:52 am

In case of phimosis, adult circumcision would be the best way to solve the issue. So circumcision may be necessary/helpful in few cases, but I don't think parents should decide for their infants when it comes to MGM. Especially if it's mainly for religious purposes.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2013, 2:40 pm

ImjustRandom wrote:
Jono wrote:
ImjustRandom wrote:
Warren Farrell anybody? He has some really good books out. Here's a couple links http://www.warrenfarrell.com/ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6w1S8yrFz4

Warren Farrell has said some bizarre things in the past. That's part of the reason why many feminists don't like him very much.

What things?

For example, how about Warren Farrell on incest:

http://manboobz.com/2013/02/20/mra-founding-father-warren-farrell-responds-to-questions-about-his-incest-research-with-evasive-non-answers-and-a-smiley/

In his book "The Myth of Male Power", he also said some things about date rape that make utterly zero sense.

When I first heard of him, I initially thought that some of Warren Farrell's stuff was good but I hadn't known about those 2 things though.

Keni
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Feb 2013, 3:07 pm

I think feminism was useful in the sixties to change a mindset of women-as-male-accessory , unequal pay etc.
These days its like protesting against child chimney sweeps. The change to laws has already happened in the western world.
Only Neanderthals are unaware of this.
Find new inequalities to pursue.

ImjustRandom
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

26 Feb 2013, 5:16 am

Jono wrote:
ImjustRandom wrote:
Jono wrote:
ImjustRandom wrote:
Warren Farrell anybody? He has some really good books out. Here's a couple links http://www.warrenfarrell.com/ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6w1S8yrFz4

Warren Farrell has said some bizarre things in the past. That's part of the reason why many feminists don't like him very much.

What things?

http://manboobz.com/2013/02/20/mra-founding-father-warren-farrell-responds-to-questions-about-his-incest-research-with-evasive-non-answers-and-a-smiley/

In his book "The Myth of Male Power", he also said some things about date rape that make utterly zero sense.

When I first heard of him, I initially thought that some of Warren Farrell's stuff was good but I hadn't known about those 2 things though.

I wouldn't trust anything David Futrelle post as truthful.
http://www.avoiceformen.com/updates/act ... -his-name/

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2013, 2:03 pm

ImjustRandom wrote:
Jono wrote:
ImjustRandom wrote:
Jono wrote:
ImjustRandom wrote:

What things?

I wouldn't trust anything David Futrelle post as truthful.
http://www.avoiceformen.com/updates/act ... -his-name/

that's a bunch of gossip from an MRA site. he couldn't even name a source and didn't speak with any certainty. not exactly reputable either way.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2013, 5:26 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qF9iofDpf0g[/youtube] Yes female bodyguards! They are women hear them roar!!

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

DoodleDoo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Jul 2013, 12:44 am

Its great to see Warren Farrell bring attention to the crises with boys and young men.
I don't think its the right question is feminism good for us, the question is weather our current state of gender relations is good and is the course we are on good for our future.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6w1S8yrFz4[/youtube]

Anything that can reduce the toxic gender relations we have now is all good but more importantly making positive changes to address the crises with boys and young men.

redriverronin
Toucan
Toucan

21 Jul 2013, 3:29 pm

DoodleDoo wrote:
Its great to see Warren Farrell bring attention to the crises with boys and young men.
I don't think its the right question is feminism good for us, the question is weather our current state of gender relations is good and is the course we are on good for our future.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6w1S8yrFz4[/youtube]

Anything that can reduce the toxic gender relations we have now is all good but more importantly making positive changes to address the crises with boys and young men.

Current gender relations are not good people are being made to play roles that they don't want to play and feminism isn't helping making it seem that all women are being demeaned and abused when nothing could be further from the truth. Real men who are empathetic and caring are being forgotten while women who would rather be a good wife and mother are being attacked and degraded because they don't want to treat their family as a burden and problem.