Page 3 of 15 [ 240 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15  Next

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2019, 8:16 pm

epilanthanomai wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
I still don't understand what's wrong with the current system. Where is the issue? Please explain this to me.

Do you mean the current system where people are literally standing outside the women's room with guns threatening to arrest or even kill trans women who need to go pee? I think that's a pretty big problem.

No, the current system where those equipped with penises got to a men's restroom, and those with vaginas go to a women's restroom. Somehow, I don't think anyone is going to be shot over this issue. If there are cops hanging around restrooms...well, I'm not in favor of that either. Come down to earth, alright?

Oscar Meyer Lansky

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2019, 8:30 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I do believe there should still be separate bathrooms for men and women.

I do believe there are heterosexual guys who would take advantage of access to the ladies' room. It could happen.

If a "trans" man-to-woman wants to use the ladies' room, I see no problem with that.

But a cis-man (gay or straight). No way!

The sign still says "women". It's confusing to some precious lil "people" that do not know the difference between "sex " and "gender"

Besides there is no way to know someone else's gender identity

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2019, 8:37 pm

Unless they tell you....

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2019, 10:11 pm

Study physics, and learn that reality is richly probabilistic, not simply X or Y.

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2019, 4:04 am

VegetableMan wrote:
epilanthanomai wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
I still don't understand what's wrong with the current system. Where is the issue? Please explain this to me.

Do you mean the current system where people are literally standing outside the women's room with guns threatening to arrest or even kill trans women who need to go pee? I think that's a pretty big problem.

No, the current system where those equipped with penises got to a men's restroom, and those with vaginas go to a women's restroom. Somehow, I don't think anyone is going to be shot over this issue. If there are cops hanging around restrooms...well, I'm not in favor of that either. Come down to earth, alright?

I propose we change the restroom signs to pictures of genitals - since the words "man" and"woman" are the culprit, the point where bilogical sex, gender identity, gender expression and gender role all converge.

that only leaves a some of the intersex people uncatered to.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

29 May 2019, 4:16 am

shlaifu wrote:
I propose we change the restroom signs to pictures of genitals - since the words "man" and"woman" are the culprit, the point where bilogical sex, gender identity, gender expression and gender role all converge.

that only leaves a some of the intersex people uncatered to.

The circle and triangle used in Poland may have come from this...

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2019, 4:59 am

VegetableMan wrote:

But you stated the problem yourself - it makes women uncomfortable if someone who appears to be male uses their restroom.
Do you deny that there are people with vaginas who appear male?
Or do you think we must force such people to present in a fashion aligned with their biological sex, however uncomfortable they feel about that?
Kind of reminiscent of autistics being forced not to stim to align with neurotypical expectations of behaviour, wouldn't you say?

The Grand Inquisitor
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2019, 6:39 am

Why isn't this all framed in such a way where sex is biological and relates to your anatomy, chromosomes, hormones, etc, and gender is social/cultural, and relates to whether you're masculine, feminine, androgynous, etc, and sex is what is important as it relates to which bathroom you use rather than gender?

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2019, 7:18 am

VegetableMan wrote:
A touchy topic, indeed. The idea being promoted that there are 71 different genders, and that gender is a"social construct" is simply not backed up by legitimate science or biology. However, fear of being labeled trans-phobic frequently shuts down the conversation. It's no longer about rights; rather it's about control. How did we arrive at the point where progressive became repressive?

Is this a: "Don't let science get in the way of a good story?" story? :scratch:

epilanthanomai
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 May 2019, 7:20 am

VegetableMan wrote:

100% down to earth here. Some men literally brag about standing outside women's rooms with guns to literally shoot trans people trying to go in, in those words. I know people who've been harassed by police and security for using the rest room. This isn't even uncommon: Trans people in many areas regularly plan their social lives and travel around safety and bathroom access. There are entire websites and apps focused on where it's safe to pee. I'm not in any way exaggerating even a tiny bit. I get that you might not see it much. Trans people have to, and absolutely a safety issue.

The thing is, I 100% promise you have no way of knowing who has a penis and who doesn't without making them drop their pants. If you have an image in your head of what a trans person looks like, then it's probably based on someone you saw, and I guarantee you there are a bunch of trans people you didn't see. There are a ton of trans people in the world who are totally stealth, and lots of them haven't had genital surgery. Some don't even want it. If someone is uncomfortable with men in the ladies' room then I guarantee I know a fair number of trans men without penises who would make that person very uncomfortable. And if someone is uncomfortable with ladies in the men's room then I could introduce you to some shockingly beautiful women who have penises. Fit that matter I've seen cisgender (not trans) women who look butch enough that they get harassed by security for trying to use the women's room, despite being identified and recognized as women from the moment they saw their first hospital lights.

And none of that takes into account the needs of the trans person who--regardless of their genitals of other physical traits--just needs to pee and would really like to do it without being harassed. They're important too.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2019, 7:46 am

How many men have you encountered who brag in this way? If more than 1% of men have these proclivities, then we have a problem. But most men really don't have time for this sort of stupidity.

I would not make this a "characteristic" of men.

I understand that men could take advantage of the "opportunity" when in a woman's restroom. Men have set up cameras to observe women "doing their business" and just observing them in a perverted manner in general. I work in the courts of New York City. And I see this sort of thing.

I know the feeling very well. I've had to pee and to do "the other thing" many times. I am lucky that I am a cis-man, and will never be denied access to the men's room. My only inconvenience is waiting for the other guy to "finish." I have no desire to go into the woman's restroom. It's their domain.

I believe, if a trans man to woman has no penis, then she should be able to use the woman's restroom. But if the person still has a penis, then he/she should use the men's room.

If there's only one toilet in the bathroom. I don't see why either a man or a woman, or some other gender, should be denied use of the bathroom. As long as the person locks the door.

But what does it matter? If you're desperate, you'll use any bathroom available.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2019, 7:50 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
How many men have you encountered who brag in this way? If more than 1% of men have these proclivities, then we have a problem. But most men really don't have time for this sort of stupidity.

I would not make this a "characteristic" of men.

I understand that men could take advantage of the "opportunity" when in a woman's restroom. Men have set up cameras to observe women "doing their business" and just observing them in a perverted manner in general. I work in the courts of New York City. And I see this sort of thing.

I know the feeling very well. I've had to pee and to do "the other thing" many times. I am lucky that I am a cis-man, and will never be denied access to the men's room. My only inconvenience is waiting for the other guy to "finish." I have no desire to go into the woman's restroom. It's their domain.

I believe, if a trans man to woman has no penis, then she should be able to use the woman's restroom. But if the person still has a penis, then he/she should use the men's room.

If there's only one toilet in the bathroom. I don't see why either a man or a woman, or some other gender, should be denied use of the bathroom. As long as the person locks the door.

But what does it matter? If you're desperate, you'll use any bathroom available.

Don't they have uni-sex toilets in some countries?
So much fuss and nonsense.
The internet is much better in any case. :wink:

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2019, 7:54 am

Or not use the public washrooms at all and force yourself to wait until you can find a gender neutral washroom or until you get home.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2019, 7:56 am

Also, I'm trans and not intersex.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2019, 8:01 am

^^^I believe people have a fundamental right to relieve themselves in bathrooms outside the home, and I believe public places have the obligation to provide restroom facilities for people. Like libraries and other places open to the public.

If an "imminent explosion" is coming, then I know I can't "wait until I get home."

There are unisexual bathrooms in the US---they are becoming more common, but they are still rare. These sorts of bathrooms almost always have only one toilet. There's really no such thing as a bathroom with multiple toilets which are unisexual.

In Europe, people are frequently charged to use the public restrooms. McDonald's and many pub/bar type places which are somewhat friendly are places where one can go free. In non-English-speaking places, they are usually called the "WC."

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2019, 8:02 am

I don't believe people should be forced to "hold it in" all day. It's not healthy to do that.