Page 3 of 6 [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2023, 10:04 am

Aspinator wrote:
In essence you are saying you think other people should be as superstitious as you are.

In a sense, yes. But, I'm trying to be persuasive, presenting reason and logic, for people to share my superstitions. If I can get this rolling, then I will be grifting for money. I'll have my own private jet, and several mansions around the world. But, for the time being, reason and logic.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2023, 10:20 am

Honey69 wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
Honey69 wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
The Mormons believe God has a wife but he keeps her name secret so we won’t blaspheme her name.

You can tell them that we do know her name. It is Asherah.

You can tell them for me.
They might get testy about it.

I haven't seen any Mormons in a while.

The Jehovah's Witnesses get active this time of year. Easter is the only holiday they celebrate.

They stopped coming here.Now they write letters instead.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2023, 10:27 am

I’m a former Jehovah’s Witness. They don’t really “celebrate” Easter. They do a memorial service for Jesus’ death at their church and that’s it. They don’t call it “Easter.” Anything fun that’s Easter-related is off-limits. Most even avoid Easter candy until after Easter is over.

JWs are active at all times of the year although they tend to have special “campaigns” and preach more in March and April. You have to log preaching time every month in order to still be considered a JW by them. They have been starting to go door-to-door and stand at carts again. Many are still writing letters as well.

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2023, 11:08 am

Twilightprincess wrote:
Catholics have the fear of Hell.

But, according to the Pope,

https://www.npr.org/sections/parallels/ ... e-Redeemed

Pope Francis wrote:

The Lord has redeemed all of us, all of us, with the Blood of Christ: all of us, not just Catholics. Everyone! 'Father, the atheists?' Even the atheists. Everyone! And this Blood makes us children of God of the first class. We are created children in the likeness of God and the Blood of Christ has redeemed us all. And we all have a duty to do good. And this commandment for everyone to do good, I think, is a beautiful path towards peace. If we, each doing our own part, if we do good to others, if we meet there, doing good, and we go slowly, gently, little by little, we will make that culture of encounter: We need that so much. We must meet one another doing good. 'But I don't believe, Father, I am an atheist!' But do good: We will meet one another there.

If atheists can get into Heaven, then Catholics shouldn't have a problem.

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2023, 11:10 am

Recidivist wrote:
Just feeling guilty about not being able to meet all the demands of one's religion - Catholic Guilt, which sometimes turns into scrupulosity OCD - A religion that can give you a mental illness , thanks God :jester:

How do the Catholics do this? Do the priests give depressing sermons? Or, are there some other methods?

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2023, 11:19 am

Twilightprincess wrote:
I’m a former Jehovah’s Witness.

Were you excommunicated?

Twilightprincess wrote:
They don’t really “celebrate” Easter. They do a memorial service for Jesus’ death at their church and that’s it. They don’t call it “Easter.” Anything fun that’s Easter-related is off-limits.

A lot of JWs do go to beauty parlours and get prettied up just before Easter.

Twilightprincess wrote:
Most even avoid Easter candy until after Easter is over.

Well, that is practical. Easter candy is 50% or more off, after Easter. Who knew that a religion could call for people to be practical?

Twilightprincess wrote:
JWs are active at all times of the year although they tend to have special “campaigns” and preach more in March and April. You have to log preaching time every month in order to still be considered a JW by them. They have been starting to go door-to-door and stand at carts again. Many are still writing letters as well.

Some JWs came by this week to invite me to some kind of church service (although I guess they don't call it "church", either). At first, I thought they were Mormons, because they were wearing ties. But, they said that if they were Mormons, then they would have been wearing name tags.

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2023, 11:22 am

Misslizard wrote:

Maybe that was during the pandemic. They're back to door-to-door evangelizing.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2023, 11:26 am

Honey69 wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
I’m a former Jehovah’s Witness.

Were you excommunicated?
Yes. Fun times.

Quote:
A lot of JWs do go to beauty parlours and get prettied up just before Easter.
This is true. Everyone wants (and is instructed) to look their best at the church service to help impress and hopefully convert nonmembers that were invited and showed up. It’s also a special occasion on account of Jesus and all, but this reason is secondary. If we (or I) could afford it, I usually got a new dress.

Quote:
Some JWs came by this week to invite me to some kind of church service (although I guess they don't call it "church", either). At first, I thought they were Mormons, because they were wearing ties. But, they said that if they were Mormons, then they would have been wearing name tags.
JWs and Mormons tend not to like each other that much due to cognitive dissonance. They both want to think that they’re the only ones engaged in a worldwide preaching work. My family would always get annoyed when Mormons came to our door. The lack of awareness was just… :lol:

ExJWs and ExMormons call each other “cult cousins.” It’s great.

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2023, 11:35 am

Young Mormons are supposed to spend a year or two as missionaries. They've been most successful in the Pacific Islands. Young male Mormon missionaries are called "elders", but they don't seem to catch the irony. They also have some parochial schools and universities.

JWs aren't nearly as visible. I never heard of a JW parochial school or university.

But, when they come to the door, I will usually let them give their spiel, until they get bored or annoyed with me.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2023, 11:36 am

I was raised Episcopal, Robin Williams said it was Catholic-lite, half the guilt.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2023, 11:38 am

^^ JWs are against higher education. They tend to be in a much lower socioeconomic class than Mormons for this reason. I was the first person in my family to go to college, and it caused major drama.

Still, there are a lot of similarities. All cults employ similar tactics to exert control over members.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2023, 11:39 am

Honey69 wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

Maybe that was during the pandemic. They're back to door-to-door evangelizing.

Not here.I just got another one with the Watchtower magazine.
Anyway, I have large dogs .Tends to keep door to door people away and my driveway is getting rough.
Last but not least.
I don’t answer the door if they manage to get up the drive and past the hounds.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2023, 11:39 am

Misslizard wrote:
I was raised Episcopal, Robin Williams said it was Catholic-lite, half the guilt.
I’ve heard people call Lutherans Catholic-lite.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2023, 12:06 pm

I think what the Catholic church says about all being saved could be true.

If it were not true, it would be the greatest tragedy if even one person went to hell.
Therefore the most important part of church life would be evangelism, in that case.

Hardly any Christians spread the word about Jesus,it's treated as the least important thing.

God would be doing loads of miracles quite often if he really wanted to save a lot of people, but you don't see much happening.

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2023, 12:22 pm

klanka wrote:

Hardly any Christians spread the word about Jesus,it's treated as the least important thing.

I gather that you haven't met any American evangelicals.

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2023, 12:25 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
^^ JWs are against higher education. They tend to be in a much lower socioeconomic class than Mormons for this reason. I was the first person in my family to go to college, and it caused major drama.

Still, there are a lot of similarities. All cults employ similar tactics to exert control over members.

The Mormons strike me as being very similar to Southern Baptists, in terms of control over members' lives and thoughts. Mormons basically have their week's activities planned for them by the church.

I think that JWs are allowed to go feral during the week, so long as they do their quota of proselytizing.