Page 3 of 8 [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2024, 6:17 pm

TwilightPrincess wrote:
TwilightPrincess wrote:
One of my cousins believes in ancient aliens. She was selling essential oils for a while and is into homeopathy, so it’s not exactly surprising.

The alien stuff is even crazier than I thought. Apparently, those pesky aliens built pyramids so they could communicate with each other in different locales (and, I suppose, different time periods). One would think that they’d be advanced enough that they wouldn’t need pyramids. Of course, maybe they liked them from an artistic standpoint. I can’t fault them there.

yeah. Youd think that the aliens would build steel cell phone towers like we do now. But no ...they stacked thousands of stones into five hundred foot tall stacks that had very little usable space relative to their huge mass to do the job.

Europeans were building megalithic structures like stonehenge and Carnac in France about the same time as the Old Kingdom pyramids of Egypt. And because the Europeans of that time had no writing imaginative modern investigators often link the megalith structures to aliens. But stone henge wasnt tall enough to be much of a cell phone tower.

The Egyptians graduated from pyramids to post-and-lintel temples which contained actual usable space ....did so after the fall of the Old Kingdom. But pyramids reappeared ...in Mesoamerica, and in Southeast Asia, both much later in time...only 800 to a 1000 years ago when the Giza pyramids were all already three thousand years old plus. So the aliens quit Earth, but 3000 years later returned to SOME PARTS of Earth, but not to others, to build pyramids in Southeast Asia and in the Americas. This second alien building boom on earth coincided with the building of the Gothic Cathedrals in Western Europe in the late Middle Ages (second only to pyramids as the tallest structures up to that time). But we have better written records in Europe in that era so we know that the Europeans did not get any help from space aliens to build Chartres or Notre Dame. Though those 17 story tall things would have been about as good as cell phone towers as the pyramids.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2024, 8:00 pm

TwilightPrincess wrote:
TwilightPrincess wrote:
One of my cousins believes in ancient aliens. She was selling essential oils for a while and is into homeopathy, so it’s not exactly surprising.

The alien stuff is even crazier than I thought. Apparently, those pesky aliens built pyramids so they could communicate with each other in different locales (and, I suppose, different time periods). One would think that they’d be advanced enough that they wouldn’t need pyramids. Of course, maybe they liked them from an artistic standpoint. I can’t fault them there.

In all seriousness, my cousin is still prone to the same sort of irrational beliefs she had when she was still in the cult. Her focus has just shifted.

She’s also an antivaxxer. It seems like people rarely have one irrational belief. It’s typically a cluster of them.

It's funniest when people who brag about their rational thinking hold multiple irrational, baseless beliefs. It makes their bragging sound like satire.

"Many of us like to ask ourselves, What would I do if I was alive during slavery? Or the Jim Crow South? Or apartheid? What would I do if my country was committing genocide?' The answer is, you're doing it. Right now." —Former U.S. Airman (Air Force) Aaron Bushnell

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2024, 8:51 pm

At least my cousin has some good excuses for her irrational beliefs. She was also homeschooled, but her education was even worse than mine was which is pretty bad. I was allowed to read secular books. Apart from stuff like Little House on the Prairie, she was stuck reading cult publications and the Bible, so she didn’t read much. When we were kids, her mom said in front of us that she just wanted them educated enough to be able to read the Bible. :roll:

In just about every paragraph of the religious publications, there was at least one glaring logical fallacy or some similar absurdity. When you’re raised to believe that that’s the gold standard, it takes a lot of time and effort to learn how to think.

My cousin is a bit resistant to change. Part of that is because she thinks her beliefs are fun. It wouldn’t matter too much except for the fact that she’s not vaccinating her kids and has chosen to homeschool them. The standards are stricter than they used to be so that’s something, but it still feels like ignorance is an inherited, multigenerational problem in my family.

Anyway, I think that irrational beliefs are often fun or, at least, convenient in some way even for well-educated folks.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2024, 9:22 pm

Yes. Ive noticed how some folks do latch onto multiple irrational beliefs. You would think that EVERY one would pick a few from the irrational buffet and leave most of the rest. But it seems like a minority go for the "all you can eat buffet at Shoney's" and take everything, with the rest not touching the buffet at all.

There was a young gentlemen ( a teen actually) who used to be on WP who...both supported Trump, AND believed in Young Earth Creationism. But that was his family's belief system. Partisan and religous beliefs.

But...

He was also anti vax with a passion. Okay...that also kinda relates to his family's partisan and sectarian stances. Sorta.

But he also latched onto things like the Moon landing being fake (which doesnt relate nor grow out of either partisan politics nor out of religion in any obvious way to me). So you couldnt put it down to him just being influenced by his family or church or party.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2024, 12:37 pm

The current events in this country makes other people around me uncertain.
The news more especially.

And I feel nothing about it.
I'm just waiting if it ever happens. Should I care at all?

Whether possible changes in policies affects me and anyone or not, I feel nothing about it.
It's just additional info is all. Not even a possible war or take over or some debt contract or other conspiracy.

I understand how it may affect the livelihood of those around me, but...
... It's like I could care less about any change, for better or for worse.

Not that I actually have a plan for anything.
It's just that whatever it may be, I'll just live through it.

Existentially, I'm bored.
I'm just waiting for my lifespan to end.

And no, I'm not suicidal.
Just bored. Every time there's a good thing going on, I'll forget it what I'm excited on about the next day.

All I have to do is sleep and wake up -- I'll wake up going back into this bodily exhaustion and laziness and chatter of head excuses and it make up reasoned unwillingness unlike the previous hours ago every start of the day.

As if I never enjoyed the day before. As if I don't look forward to anything until the next several hours... Or never again until another few months. Sleeping and waking up just messes me up every day.

Either I'm meant to experience this amount of boredom and constant interruption, or I'm doing it wrong.
Either ways, I'm fricking bored and annoyed most at the time. At least I no longer feel that background irritation.

To say every moment is fleeing and that one would savor it is one thing...
And that all that is unpleasant will pass...

... But nearly forgetting what it was like almost every day for no reason other than fall asleep and wake up is ridiculous.

Doesn't matter why.
Good or bad emotions; it'll always be overpowered by that sheer physical discomfort that fluctuations just exacerbates every 'morning'.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2024, 3:04 pm

This is what bravery looks like.

"Many of us like to ask ourselves, What would I do if I was alive during slavery? Or the Jim Crow South? Or apartheid? What would I do if my country was committing genocide?' The answer is, you're doing it. Right now." —Former U.S. Airman (Air Force) Aaron Bushnell

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2024, 11:32 pm

Ben-Gvir got something off his chest today, bragging about how all the allegations made about the detention camps are true and intentional.

Quote:
The time has come to dismantle the spins, and answer the flood of briefings and false accusations by the Shin Bet and its spokespersons in the media.

Since I assumed the position of Minister of National Security, one of the highest goals I have set for myself is to worsen the conditions of the terrorists in the prisons, and to reduce their rights to the minimum required by law. This is what I committed to my voters and the people of Israel back in the elections, when I announced that I would claim the position.

Everything published about the abominable conditions of these vile murderers in prison was true. They ruled the prisons without question, and did whatever they pleased.

In the last year, before the war broke out, I waged a war of attrition to carry out the long-awaited reform of their conditions, and to fulfill the mandate I received from the public.
The central organization that fought my attempts to lead this important reform, and even managed to prevent it, is the Shin Bet, under the command of Ronan Bar. It stood on its hind legs, and convinced the prime minister time and again that worsening the conditions of the terrorists would lead to an escalation, an explosion, the burning of the Middle East . What not.

On the seventh of October we discovered the bitter truth: our enemies do not need any excuse to massacre us, and lead to "escalation". They have one reason why they do this: our existence as Jews.

At the same time, after the outbreak of the war, I was able to finally carry out the long-awaited reform. The conditions of the terrorists in the prison were reduced to a minimum: we stopped the financial deposits, canceled the canteens for the terrorists, removed the electrical devices from the cells, stopped the terrorists' promenade, dramatically reduced the terrorists' stay in the showers, canceled the speaker's status, stopped the indulgent food menu that was converted into a minimal menu, and in short - We completely stopped the summer camp conditions. Terrorists who are currently released from prison testify that they will never want to return to Israeli prison. The prisons of the State of Israel are no longer a sad joke.

As part of the war, the army made many arrests of terrorists and wanted terrorists in Yosh, along with many terrorists who were brought from Gaza. A large part of the detainees were housed in a military camp, Sde Yemen, where they were held by the army. The IDF and the Shin Bet rushed to fold, and to announce that the conditions of incarceration at the site would be examined, and that the number of prisoners held at the site would be reduced. In practice, a situation has arisen in which due to the harsh living conditions of the prisoners (we are talking about despicable terrorists, yes?), there are now 1,500 vacant prison places in the Yemeni field.

Even in the prisons that are under the responsibility of the Security Service, where many terrorists were taken in, overcrowding was created. But I never thought of releasing terrorists from prison because they are crowded.

And this is the core of the dispute between me and Shin Bet chief Ronan Bar:
Ronan Bar claims that the conditions of the terrorists in prison, including overcrowding, look bad in the world, and may lead to escalation.

And I claim that if any other country in the world were to do what was done to us, it would do many times more against those terrorists - and put one big line on all those who cluck their tongues. Are they crowded? Next time they will think twice before they go out to slaughter, rape and loot.

And as for the Shin Bet's claims according to which the Shin Bet and the Ministry of National Security did nothing to establish and add new prisons - this is nonsense, which was fully promoted by the leftist media.
These are the exact facts: the Shevash has already begun an accelerated construction project of new prisons, and since October 2,500 new prisons have been added. Another project began last April, and it includes the construction of 936 additional prisons that is currently underway, when in addition to the emergency construction during the war, the Shev S. will complete by the end of the year a construction project of about 1,200 prison places throughout the country. All this, alongside the fact that since the beginning of the war, the Israel Defense Forces has captured a record number of over 5,000 terrorists arrested by the security forces.

It is very possible that even after the addition of the new prisons is completed, the many terrorists will still be overcrowded in prison. I have already proposed a much simpler solution, of enacting the death penalty for terrorists, which would solve the overcrowding issue - legislation to which the Shin Bet is also vehemently opposed. But until this legislation, with God's help, is passed, nothing will happen if the No'Hava terrorist, who burned a baby girl in October 7, It will be crowded in the prison cell where he died.

Translated from: https://x.com/itamarbengvir/status/1808031178277925263

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2024, 2:58 pm

I wish religions were more about preventing the end of the world rather than embracing or causing it.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

crisv
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Jul 2024, 6:37 pm

Aspiegaming wrote:
I wish religions were more about preventing the end of the world rather than embracing or causing it.

Religions are only about controlling people using their fears and their ignorance, that they nurture

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2024, 8:50 am

I'm worried that if Trump is reelected and Project 2025 is implemented, I won't be able to do (or want to do) the things I enjoy in my own home without the cops busting down the front door.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2024, 1:37 pm

It really sucks that the leadership of a country whose domestic and foreign policies impact more or less everyone on the planet is decided by such a small number of people, at least 50% of whom appear to be either hopelessly ill-educated or completely insane.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2024, 8:26 pm

I don't really care about whether or not foxes can be domesticated or when the next rocket is going to be launched into space. What I want to know is how little time have we got left before a bunch of shriveled up evil old men from USA and Russia decide to nuke the planet. And how to kill myself the quickest and most painless way possible before that happens. Maybe I should practice writing a note to my mom before I do. It'll devastate her, but at least she'll know I cared enough to write to her.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2024, 7:40 am

It's funny like how animals in the wild don't need laws and governments to let them know how to behave and what to do but human beings do

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2024, 12:17 pm

babybird wrote:
It's funny like how animals in the wild don't need laws and governments to let them know how to behave and what to do but human beings do

No we don't, and without laws and a state to enforce them our existences would be a lot more like other animals, which is to say driven by what we can get away with day to day.

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2024, 9:05 pm

Political friction in my family is happening. I live in a conservative household. My mother is watching the RNC on TV and my younger brother who's more liberal is giving snarky remarks from the other room and mom is starting to get pissed. At least I try to hide my liberal side from my family.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

Rossall
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2024, 8:18 am

Good to see Labour turning the boats back to France co-operating with the French government. The tory Rwanda scheme was a joke. Would like to see us rejoin the EU tbh. I think Labour need to hold another referendum on it. I think people now realised it's screwed up the country with mass immigration, higher food prices and slower economic growth meaning less money for public services unlike what Farage and his mates promised.

Interests: music (especially 80s), computers, electronics, amateur radio, soccer (Liverpool).