Aridarr
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2007, 5:25 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
greenblue wrote:
How can I prove that you are not a parakeet? :P

My ability to type?

A large parakeet could be trained to compress keys for a reward...

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2007, 5:42 pm

Aridarr wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
greenblue wrote:
How can I prove that you are not a parakeet? :P

My ability to type?

A large parakeet could be trained to compress keys for a reward...

What is your definition of a parakeet?

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2007, 7:27 pm

I think the only proof is our own intuition and how a lot of our deepest drives and faculties actually make us weaker in the face of natural law rather than stronger. My advice, for anyone who's really cerebral and needs better answers than what mainstream Christianity talks about, read the Nag Hammadi and pay special attention to the books that are Valentinian-geared, also pay close attention to the Gospel of Truth. I haven't read all the way through it mind you but I've found some really fascinating things in a lot of the older gnostic text, it gives you a very powerful as well as abstract exterior argument, and while it seems far fetched on first read (particularly Tripartite Tractate) what's there really doesn't seem to clash against the real world around us that we see everyday, more realistically it tends to feed into the fact that under the system they propose things would be exactly as they are, as we see them, concrete, crime, bloodshed, starvation, pop-culture, you name it.

While I'm not saying these are any kind of direct proof I think, if you really dive into reading this stuff and especially if you tend to feel at heart like your seeking a higher truth, this seems like it really strikes at the core matter of our existence and phrases it in a pretty believable way.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2007, 7:32 pm

Well, I'm not a parakeet then. Whew! That was close!

Mc_Jeff
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

22 Nov 2007, 11:50 pm

elvenmage wrote:
Can you give me some proof of it's existence?

This isn't meant as a trick question or anything, it's just that i'd like to know why people actually beleive in a god.

Thanks. 8)

God's existence can only be proven if you say "We had to come from somewhere".

Life has never been created from non-life in any way that we've been able to duplicate.

However, somehow, life had to come from non-life.

Maybe how that was done is utterly beyond our comprehension. Maybe the world is goverened by things that are beyond our comprehension. Maybe what we call "fate" is not just a concept. Maybe the fourth dimension does exist, but we can't comprehend or interact with it... or we just can't comprehend it, and when we interact with it, we don't know what we've done.

Maybe there is a force of some sort out there that could possibly be, from our limited perspective, a "god".

I don't believe that the Judeo-Christian God exists as he is described in their holy texts. I don't believe in anything. I just don't believe in nothing, either.

The_Chosen_One
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2007, 9:38 am

OK, here's one for those creationists out there: If god created the universe from nothing, and time is only measured from the beginning of the universe, then where was god BEFORE all of this? He could not have created something from nothing because he would have had to survive in nothingness to begin with; ergo, god can never have existed BEFORE the universe because no living thing (and Christians would have us believe their god is a living spiritual entity) can survive in a vaccum. Therefore, man created god, and without man there is no god.
Oh, and before you start in with the crap about the world and unvierse only being less than 10,000 years old, explain how light from Alpha Centauri, which is 4.5 light years away (a light year is the distance light travels in a year at 186,202 miles per second/per second) travels to earth. Try working that distance out, and then compare that with the distance of a pulsar with a red shift of 99.98% of the speed of light sitting near the edge of the observable horizon. Then you will realise the 10,000 year figure is about as phoney as the belief in an all-powerful force that could create the universe with it's billions of galaxies from nothing. So endeth the lesson.

Karma decides what must happen, and that includes everyone.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2007, 9:52 am

God is eternal and not part of the created universe. Also, in Deuteronomy it says "God made the heavens of old" whether in appearance only or through some unknown mechanism.

The_Chosen_One
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2007, 10:08 am

Twisted logic.

God cannot create himself from nothing to then create a universe from nothing. You seem to think that a being can exist in nothingness and thn create something for some grand plan just to make you lot happy? Why bother? If this supposed god of yours existed before the universe ever existed WHY WASTE THE EFFORT AT ALL? As I said earlier, it was bronze age man that created god, and the scriptures were written by man, for man. They are folklore passed on through the generations, and the translations from the Aramaic to Hebrew to Greek to Latin to Greek to English have been misconstrued and taken out of context. No eyewitness accounts were available from the writers, and natural events that did occur which couldn't be explained were given a spiritual aspect. Now if you want to put all your faith and hope into believing in something that only you think you can see, go ahead. Doesn't mean that you'll get the reward your looking for in the end.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2007, 10:12 am

God is not a creature.

The_Chosen_One
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2007, 10:41 am

To quote you Christians 'God is an omniscient being, the creator'. Obviously he or it must have some form. If so, he or it cannot survive in nothingness if man is created in his image. Actually, the statement should read that 'Man created god in his image'. That is more logical considering the personal pronoun affected toward your deity, and the images painted by Michelangelo and others. As I said earlier too, I may believe in reincarnation, but if it doesn't happen, that's no biggie. Because pagans don't acknowledge Satan and hell, I won't be worried about that either. Maybe you Christians should stop worrying so much about the afterlife and concentrate on making your present life as enjoyable as possible. That way you'd be less hung up.

Sunfish_McCaul
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

23 Nov 2007, 6:38 pm

I don't think it's possible to prove or disprove the existence of God. The question of God has been one of the largest philosophical quandaries in the history of humanity. Everyone has always been asking about it.
If an answer was possible, I think it would have happened by now.
All that's left is faith, which isn't a bad thing. Faith holds a lot together.

Aridarr
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2007, 6:40 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Well, I'm not a parakeet then. Whew! That was close!

What makes you so sure?

Averick
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2007, 7:00 pm

God doesn't exist like Christians believe. He is not some white-bearded man sitting on a throne of gold up in a cloudy place. This conceptialization was created for people who need to be lead, so that they could identify with what a healthy life could be. God is infinate. We could as animalae-machina never fathom what that is. And the funny thing about it to me is, is that Jesus was black, and a Jew, and now i know now some poor "autistic" with a Creed cassette is crying somewhere:

"How could that be? Jesus is white!! And he looks fairly hippyish!! And the part of him being Jewish doesn't mean anything, cause they don't own up to it, and they killed him!! !!"

I rest my case.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2007, 7:06 pm

Heh, a lot of people would swear that its the Father, The Mother, and the Son, not the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Though I can see what happened back in the early days - before relatively recently, do to the social moors of the time, they really couldn't say it like it was and it seemed like the best they could do was give the Virgin Mary elevated status. Just another example of how bigotry of the times can make certain odd amendments to history a necessity if they wanted anyone to follow the teachings at all.

Mc_Jeff
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

23 Nov 2007, 8:11 pm

Averick wrote:
God doesn't exist like Christians believe. He is not some white-bearded man sitting on a throne of gold up in a cloudy place.

That's not what most Christians say.

That's what the Christian-hating Athiests and Black Supremacists say when trying to stereotype mainstream Christians.

Learn the difference.

For that matter, learn that Jerry Falwell and Pat Buchanan are less representative of Christianity than Osama bin Laden is of Islam.

Averick
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2007, 8:57 pm

So, what do you think of God? Or rather, others interpretation of God?

BTW, I'm not an atheist. I have faith, i'm agnostic.

ag*nos*tic
n. 1. One who believes that there is no proof of the existence of God but does not deny the possibility that God exists.
2. One who is doubtful or noncommittal about something.
adj. 1. Relating to or being an agnostic. 2. Non-committal
--ag*nos'ti*cal*ly adv. --ag*nos'ti*cism n.