Page 3 of 5 [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Tim_p
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2005, 2:12 am

Grievous wrote:
By the way, has anyome read the curious incident of the dog in the nightime? Great book.

I read it, and I did not particlularly enjoy it.

On a pointless side note, the main characters math is flawed. Around two-thirds of the way through the book he says that
"Fear of new place X fear of father = total fear" and because of that his total fear remains constant as he moves away from his father toward the new place, but he clearly implies fear is a linear function with respect to distance in which case he would be most afraid directly in between his father and the new place. It would work as F1 + F2 = Tf, or if his fear vs distance was an exponential function.

Soma
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Nov 2005, 3:45 am

I enjoyed it, not for the maths, but for the story.

Henry David Thoureau, 1854

Theyfan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Nov 2005, 4:10 pm

Mockingbird wrote:
neongrl wrote:
You said you have a ska version of the song you quoted - who's it by?

The thing is, I have no idea. I got it off the internet, the recording studio/distributor/music company's name is Stone Groove, but I can't find any info on them either :cry: It's sad, 'cause the song is really well done.

I don't know if you have already had this answered, but I like to singalonga the Karaoke version of this song on www.cyberhymnal.org, look up the song list and it's under "I danced in the morning when the world was begun".

I am very heartened to read there are Christian Aspies. I'm the mother of a boy just diagnosed and I hope he grows up to be a Christian. :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Grievous
Toucan
Toucan

22 Nov 2005, 12:51 pm

Tim_p wrote:
Grievous wrote:
By the way, has anyome read the curious incident of the dog in the nightime? Great book.

I read it, and I did not particlularly enjoy it.

On a pointless side note, the main characters math is flawed. Around two-thirds of the way through the book he says that
"Fear of new place X fear of father = total fear" and because of that his total fear remains constant as he moves away from his father toward the new place, but he clearly implies fear is a linear function with respect to distance in which case he would be most afraid directly in between his father and the new place. It would work as F1 + F2 = Tf, or if his fear vs distance was an exponential function.

8O Impressive. Agreed. I found that how they had the character behave is not similar to how I behave as an Aspie. I enjoyed it, but found some aspects to be too fictionalized.

Cadzie
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

30 Dec 2007, 5:02 pm

Mockingbird wrote:
As a side note, what translation of the Bible does everyone use? I have the NIV and NKJ, but my main one is the Holman Christian Standard-I love it sooo much...I highly reccomend it to everyone! My church mostly uses KJV, which is enjoyable to read IMO, but especially hard for aspie sensibilities to understand, I think.

I read the new worlds translation, might was well be my sometimes, because when Reading aloud I add words I think should be there, nothing big, like the's and's, so forth.... I'll look up the holman one as I never heard of it

Cadzie
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

30 Dec 2007, 5:04 pm

Mockingbird wrote:
neongrl wrote:
You said you have a ska version of the song you quoted - who's it by?

The thing is, I have no idea. I got it off the internet, the recording studio/distributor/music company's name is Stone Groove, but I can't find any info on them either :cry: It's sad, 'cause the song is really well done.

there's a band in canada, called Captain Tractor, they sing this song as well, it's like folk, mountain music their sound

preludeman
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2008, 7:43 pm

I belong to a fundemental religious group, and I don't know how they would react to my

As. 8O I joined WP to find people with AS , and now it is nice to find people who believe in

God. :D I use KJV,NKJV,and Dickerson Study Bible. :)

Paula
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2008, 10:42 pm

Preludeman, we had a fundemenalist here who was a fanatic, yet he was not a memeber of a Church but was looking for one. I contacted every fundementalist group in his area and ALL OF THEM, wanted him, even though they knew he was causing alot of problems here,
I think he was eventually banned. They told me they would help him, and welcome him. They didn't care that he had AS as a matter of fact, one of the churches had a big autism ministry going because they said they really needed one. If people you trust know about your AS then they would say..."Oh yeah, that makes since." At least let your Pastor know.

preludeman
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2008, 8:30 pm

Paula wrote Preludeman, we had a fundemenalist here who was a fanatic, yet he was not a memeber of a Church but was looking for one. I contacted every fundementalist group in his area and ALL OF THEM, wanted him, even though they knew he was causing alot of problems here,
I think he was eventually banned. They told me they would help him, and welcome him. They didn't care that he had AS as a matter of fact, one of the churches had a big autism ministry going because they said they really needed one. If people you trust know about your AS then they would say..."Oh yeah, that makes since." At least let your Pastor know.
I hope I do not sound "bigoted" or "mean". I am not a fantic or a trouble maker.
At one church I went to one member was a"Collection Plate Watcher", and he thought I did not give enough.At another church the people were "Rightous Than Thou" and they did not like me because my parents were divorced, and I was not "Raised" in their church. I tried to join a singles group at another church, and when they found out I work at the time as a janitor they wanted nothing to do with me. There is no "Autistic Ministry in my area. I do not wish to talk to my "minister" I learned about that the last time, and it only made things worse. I am not ashamed of my AS , yet there are those who would not "understand". I have discussed this with those I trust and who need to know.I thought this was to be a "Christian Forum" not one where I am attacked,given the third degree, and spill my guts. I also do not understand "why" "NT's" are allowed to use WP.I really do not think "Paula" understands that to me AS was the "Stranger" I lived with for nearly 40 years. I know many of you have your own stories , and I hope you can forgive me .I also hope "Paula" forgives me also , for questioning her and other "NT's" reason for being on WP.

Paula
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2008, 10:31 pm

Well first off, I was not accusing you of being a fanatic nor a troublemaker. The kid I mentioned needed help and one of the moderators asked me to deal with him, being a Christian myself I sought help with people he would feel comfortable with but did not know how to contact.He was comfortable talking to me, and I could get him to chill out for awhile. I'm not a fundamentalist, but I respected what he wanted and went with it. I figured whoever he would choose, they would help balance and ground him, he was condeming everyone to hell and was very offensive. He needed these ministers council and guidance. I am 46 years old, and Alex says I can be here. I originally came on because I have a friend who is aspie, I lurked at first, then started to talk to people and then I told my friend to join. I now tell lots of people about this site. I use to work in a residential home for boys, and now I work in the school district special ed section. Alot of my clients are on the spectrum. I have recommended this site to many students,parents and teachers and when I'm stuck, I always find someone here that can give me advice on my students. When I am given to, I like to give back. This site has been a Godsend for me, so I'm here.

preludeman
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2008, 5:22 am

Again I am sorry if I caused trouble for Paula and the AS community.

It has been hard for me to find the right church for myself, for the various reasons

I mentioned earlier. I have chosen to keep my condition to myself except for those that need

to know. I am sure that Paula and most of you understand how some people are about

AS. Again I am sorry to cause trouble

Paula
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2008, 3:00 pm

You are not causing trouble here. We all have our issues.

Cadzie
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

03 Jan 2008, 3:13 pm

Paula wrote:
You are not causing trouble here. We all have our issues.

yeah, like the lady said this is sharing circle man, I tried to discuss my problems with not fitting in with someone else in my faith, this person claims to understand my problems but then told me he was pissed because I forgot to do something, and well, if he knew what that means, it's like I'm feeling cut off because none of them have anything to do with me outside meetings, I'm happy I have this place to discuss things, if I didn't well, I don't know much

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2008, 3:15 pm

I read the NKJV now but I have completely read the NIV. It took me five years to read it because I read slow and have many interruptions from housework and homework.

Who else has read the entire Bible?

Who else was/is homeschooled?

Azharia
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Jan 2008, 6:24 pm

Curious. As a catholic, I pray every night. But I have never found going to church very insightful. And it is always very crowded. :( I've tried.
Anyone else feel it easier to practice alone?

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2008, 6:51 pm

Azharia wrote:
Curious. As a catholic, I pray every night. But I have never found going to church very insightful. And it is always very crowded. :( I've tried.
Anyone else feel it easier to practice alone?

It is easier, but also lonelier. I don't care for crowds of unknown people, but as I get to know everybody I like it better. As for insight I recommend self study: buy some references and learn on your own.