Page 21 of 34 [ 533 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 34  Next

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2021, 6:01 pm

ironpony wrote:
Yeah it seems that way, which is why it all feels hypocritical to me. I feel that when it comes to politics, that hypocrisy is the biggest issue. If the word hypocrite was used as much as the term 'sexist' or 'racist', that would be really productive and progressive in politics I think.

There is more hypocrisy, on both sides of the political divide, than you can shake a stick at. :mrgreen:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2021, 6:07 pm

I just wish we would get over this garbage.....

And move on to something else.

I wonder what would have happened had McCain had became President, rather than Trump. I probably wouldn't have minded McCain at all.

(by the way, I'm a registered Independent, rather than a Democrat).

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2021, 6:15 pm

Pepe wrote:
There is more hypocrisy, on both sides of the political divide, than you can shake a stick at. :mrgreen:

You don't think that there is hypocrisy in the 'centre' either?

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2021, 6:17 pm

Pepe wrote:
ironpony wrote:
It just seems that cancel culture is going too far though. For example, there are now calls to in cancel culture to now cancel Henry Cavill because he and Gina Carano dated at one point, before this whole incident. I think that is ridiculous and going too far.

Please note the highlighted.

Yes I understand they are just calls, but Hollywood is stupid enough to listen, since they listened for calls for Carano, who says they will not listen again now.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2021, 6:32 pm

ironpony wrote:
Yes I understand they are just calls, but Hollywood is stupid enough to listen, since they listened for calls for Carano, who says they will not listen again now.

Call from who? Who is calling for him to be cancelled? Because everything there just looked like people wanting to convince others that he is being cancelled for a no good reason. I would not even be surprised to find some sort of false flag posters who will pretend to be cancelling him to create an illusion that there are people, but there is nothing credible in those stories.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2021, 6:44 pm

slam_thunderhide wrote:
People might refer to Gina Carano's sacking as "cancel culture", but it's just a high-profile example of what's been going on in the US for years and years. It's not a particularly good example, but it is an example.

Ordinary people, on both the right and left, have been losing their jobs in the US over their political opinions for years.

People who keep saying "free speech doesn't mean freedom from consequences" or "free speech doesn't mean freedom to be an a**hole" or "private companies can do what they want" just don't seem to get it.

Do you really want to live in a society where ordinary people (factory workers, teachers, doctors, store clerks etc) can lose their livelihoods for expressing their political opinions (be they a right-winger supporting immigration restriction or a left-winger supporting BDS, for example)? Even for expressing those opinions outside of work?

If you can't express your political opinions without fear of losing your livelihood, then the first amendment is virtually worthless.

In Nazi Germany, you could have ended up in a concentration camp.
"Are we there yet?"
Not quite. :mrgreen: [hypobolic joke]

I think it is *so* ironic that freedom of speech is being whittled away in the land of, well, the epitome of freedom of speech. :lmao:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2021, 6:45 pm

ironpony wrote:
Pepe wrote:
ironpony wrote:
It just seems that cancel culture is going too far though. For example, there are now calls to in cancel culture to now cancel Henry Cavill because he and Gina Carano dated at one point, before this whole incident. I think that is ridiculous and going too far.

Please note the highlighted.

I was supporting your point of view. ;)
Yes, cancel culture, and many of the people who embrace it, is an abomination.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2021, 6:54 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I just wish we would get over this garbage.....

And move on to something else.

Agreed.

kraftiekortie wrote:
I wonder what would have happened had McCain had became President, rather than Trump. I probably wouldn't have minded McCain at all.

(by the way, I'm a registered Independent, rather than a Democrat).

I am an independent, also.
I don't vote for any of the major conservative parties, and definitely not Labor.

The greens?
Pfft.
Do I look that sanctimoniously silly? :roll: :mrgreen:

Last time I didn't vote for any party bc I was so disgusted by the lot of them.
"A pox on *all* their houses." :eew:

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2021, 7:37 pm

Bradleigh wrote:
ironpony wrote:

Call from who? Who is calling for him to be cancelled? Because everything there just looked like people wanting to convince others that he is being cancelled for a no good reason. I would not even be surprised to find some sort of false flag posters who will pretend to be cancelling him to create an illusion that there are people, but there is nothing credible in those stories.

But that's how culture cancel is. Someone trying to convince others that someone should be cancelled for no good reaosn, and then Hollywood actually listens.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2021, 7:43 pm

ironpony wrote:
But that's how culture cancel is. Someone trying to convince others that someone should be cancelled for no good reaosn, and then Hollywood actually listens.

I am not sure what might strictly count as cancel culture, but the people who do campaigns to no longer support people because of some sort of part of them is problematic generally see there as a good reason.

No one is trying to get Cavill 'cancelled', especially for used to dating someone. Some people just made stuff up, and you are repeating it.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2021, 8:05 pm

Bradleigh wrote:
Some people just made stuff up, and you are repeating it.

Such as the claim that Ms Carano's post was solely about "conservative"\"right wing" people? Yes, lots of people are repeating that assertion that someone made up...

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2021, 8:12 pm

Pepe wrote:
i)Antifa members aren't 'progressives'/lefties?
News to me.

That's a red herring Pepe. Antifa members are pro-gun and most lefties aren't pro-gun. Being anti-fascist is one thing but arming yourself only opens yourself up to getting labelled or worse. Most of us (including me) subscribe to Gandhi's non-violent protest. Non-violence means not destroying public property or carrying arms. Because leftwing movements tend to be inclusionary we are a broad church and are infiltrated in protests by people who have other motives.

Pepe wrote:
ii) Are you saying you think it reasonable to assault someone physically because you are being provoked?

Andy Ngo is a weasel. I feel like smashing his face when I hear him speak (but of course I adhere to the non-violence mantra :lol: ).

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2021, 8:14 pm

Brictoria wrote:
Bradleigh wrote:

Such as the claim that Ms Carano's post was solely about "conservative"\"right wing" people? Yes, lots of people are repeating that assertion that someone made up...

Curious then that it's "conservative right wing people" rushing to defend her then. Why do think that is Brictoria? Are they doing out of the goodness of their heart?

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2021, 9:13 pm

Bradleigh wrote:
ironpony wrote:

I am not sure what might strictly count as cancel culture, but the people who do campaigns to no longer support people because of some sort of part of them is problematic generally see there as a good reason.

No one is trying to get Cavill 'cancelled', especially for used to dating someone. Some people just made stuff up, and you are repeating it.

Oh okay my mistake. I just thought that Hollywood may take it seriously since they take these other cancel culture requests seriously.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2021, 9:15 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Brictoria wrote:
Bradleigh wrote:

Curious then that it's "conservative right wing people" rushing to defend her then. Why do think that is Brictoria? Are they doing out of the goodness of their heart?

I don't understand this right vs left thing when it comes to certain things. Why is it that a lot of people in the US take to two sides like this? Why does the right believe in more freedom of speech when it comes to career and jobs, but the left is doesn't like it and is more pro-cancel culture over it?

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2021, 9:22 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Brictoria wrote:
Bradleigh wrote:

It's not just "conservative right wing people" defending her...There are centrists and those on the "left" doing so as well.
Quote:
New York Magazine writer Jonathan Chait has accused Hollywood of engaging in a McCarthy-esque crusade against conservatives after actress Gina Carano was fired from Disney.

Chait weighed in on the controversy in an essay for the Intelligencer in which he argued there was no 'principled distinction' between the Hollywood blacklist against communists in the 1950s and Carano's termination.

Quote:
Chait, who is Jewish, dismissed the outrage surrounding the post, which he said 'was not anti-Semitic by any reasonable definition.'

'The post simply argued (uncontroversially) that the Holocaust grew out of a hate campaign against Jews, which it then likened (controversially) to hatred of fellow Americans for their political views,' he wrote.

'I don't find this post especially insightful. But overheated comparisons to Nazi Germany are quite common, and, more to the point, not anti-Semitic. There is no hint anywhere in this post of sympathy for Nazis or blame for their victims.'

Chait also bemoaned the media's coverage of the controversy as well as the lack of public criticism towards Disney or Carano's talent agency for penalizing the actress for sharing such views.

Source: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9257095/New-York-Magazine-writer-bemoans-McCarthy-esque-silences-conservatives-Gina-Caranos-firing.html