Page 24 of 100 [ 1585 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 100  Next

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2012, 11:07 am

myth wrote:
*edit* Been scanning through the previous pages a little bit and I seem to laregly agree with Tequila.

Thank you.

It's every bit as unpleasant listening to misogynistic men talk about women in disgusting, stomach-churning ways and use nasty slurs (some of the boards I use are shocking for this) as it is sitting with a group of with vicious middle-aged women regaling us with how all men are useless and being horrible about other people's husbands and sons (and sometimes even their own), even going so far as to make bullying sexual taunts.

Neither is nice to be around.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2012, 11:10 am

myth wrote:
I don't consider "sex objects" to be derrogatory as this is where most of their power comes from cultrurally. So a woman shown to be very attractive and desirable is one that is powerful and in control of the stereotypical male.

Female 'power' from being a 'sex object' (I shudder saying that phrase), can only exist in a patriarchal system.

I really want to divorce sex from power.

The-Raven
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2012, 11:17 am

myth wrote:

*edit* Been scanning through the previous pages a little bit and I seem to laregly agree with Tequila.

perhaps you should see your Dr about that? :lol:

myth
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2012, 11:40 am

The-Raven wrote:
myth wrote:

That seems somewhat insulting unless I misinterpreted your statement?

Re: other points above: I have responses I will just have to wait until after work to reply. I'm up to my ears right now and I'm here anyway because I am interested in the disucssion :lol: but I'm going to have to try very hard not to come back until the end of the day.

Nothing is absolute.

TheDarkMage
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Mar 2012, 11:44 am

myth wrote:
I have not read the entire thread so I apologise if some of my points have been addressed. The following is simply my take on the subject of gender discrminiation in general:

I believe in "equal" "rights" (although both terms "equal" and "rights" are somewhat sketchy and may need to be clearly defined within this context) and dislike the term "feminism." If it were about equality, why would it be called that?? The term itself seems to indicate favortism towards females. (Yes, I read about how it's just a carry over from when they were fighting for women's right to vote. If, then, you are not still fighting for women's rights specifically, I suggest you use a different label.)

I also agree with the "too much anti-male propoganda" group. I think that Western society currently favors females and ends up giving them special treatment, not equality. Every sitcom and many comercials display the women controlling their male partners with threats of witholding sex as well as being smarter, more mature, and more responsible than their male partners. Granted, females are oftentimes portrayed as unreasonable or crazy as well but it is rare for them to appear stupid or controlled by a powerful spouse. Much rarer than the inverse. I don't consider "sex objects" to be derrogatory as this is where most of their power comes from cultrurally. So a woman shown to be very attractive and desirable is one that is powerful and in control of the stereotypical male.

I have seen a few examples of an abusive male who physically damages his female partner but those examples are extreme and the male is (rightly) vilified. Compare this to the hundreds of examples I have seen in the media and in real life of females slapping males in the face who they simply considered rude or disrespectful and this is accepted. What would happen if a male did that to a female? "Don't you talk that way to me!" *slap!* Public outrage. This view is somewhat reasonable because females are usually physically weaker and a male usually is capable of doing significant damage to a female if he so chooses. However, I don't think a female who physically attacks a male should be condoned in any form, nor the other way around. Females should not take advantage of their protective status in this manner. The fact that you are physically weaker is exactly why you shouldn't pick physical fights. You would only do so if you were confident there was no way that person was going to retaliate against you.

Not to mention the vast snarky little comments by female relatives and co-workers I hear on an almost daily basis where they unfavorably comment on their spouse and cackle and agree with eachother on how usless men are. Do men have these sorts of conversations about women? They might, I haven't heard any but they are unlikely to engage in such behavior in my presense even though I would not be upset at them for it. The women referenced above do say this in front of males, though, because (again) of their protected status. In my experience, men are more likely to laugh things off. God forbid you offend a woman.

Just a few examples of the attitude, not intended to be a synopsis of the problem at large. I do not in any way consider society to be male-dominated nor my own life. I don't generally see things in terms of gender until presented with a blatant double-standard which is usually female-favoring based on my observations. For the most part, I think things are generally equal with occasional isolated discrimination on both sides and society as a whole in general favoring women in a few key areas.

now thats how to post a view. brilliant. agree 110%. i wish i could have posted that.

The-Raven
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2012, 12:54 pm

myth wrote:
The-Raven wrote:
myth wrote:

That seems somewhat insulting unless I misinterpreted your statement?

its supposed to be funny, hence the :lol: laughing face.

myth
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2012, 1:06 pm

It being funny/laughing doesn't exclude it from being an insult. But very well, I will take it as a friendly/teasing jab.

Nothing is absolute.

The-Raven
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2012, 1:10 pm

myth wrote:
It being funny/laughing doesn't exclude it from being an insult. But very well, I will take it as a friendly/teasing jab.

yes it was friendly teasing at Tequila.

I shall remember you dont like that sort of thing in future.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2012, 1:11 pm

I feel sorry for the misogynist males. I have secured my spot for the future as part of the 10% permitted male population in the new Vaginarchy. You must welcome our feminine overlords with open arms and a big smile (and maybe breakfast in bed) if you wish to be spared forced gay marriage!! !

myth
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2012, 1:14 pm

The-Raven wrote:
myth wrote:

I didn't say I didn't like it. I personally find sarcastic/insulting language very humorous. I was just asking as to your intentions.

Nothing is absolute.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2012, 1:16 pm

The-Raven wrote:

Were you teasing me or were you using my name to tease myth?

Come on now, spill the beans. ;)

TheDarkMage
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Mar 2012, 1:20 pm

myth wrote:
The-Raven wrote:
myth wrote:

I didn't say I didn't like it. I personally find sarcastic/insulting language very humorous. I was just asking as to your intentions.

what he actually meant was a play on words. because you said you agree with tequila it sounded like you find tequila an agreeable drink therefore he suggested you should see a doctor.

it didnt have offensive intent.

Kjas
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2012, 1:21 pm

Vigilans wrote:
I feel sorry for the misogynist males. I have secured my spot for the future as part of the 10% permitted male population in the new Vaginarchy. You must welcome our feminine overlords with open arms and a big smile (and maybe breakfast in bed) if you wish to be spared forced gay marriage!! !

Image Stop it!

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2012, 1:23 pm

TheDarkMage wrote:
it didnt have offensive intent.

Correct.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2012, 1:23 pm

TheDarkMage wrote:
there is no gender pay gap.

wrong. here are some stats from Canada. the gap is slightly higher here, but it is applicable as our economies are similar:

http://www.conferenceboard.ca/hcp/detai ... e-gap.aspx

if you do some research, there are some economists who have been able to explain large portions of the gender pay gap, but the explanations don't eliminate the gap. the gap still exists, and it is largely outside a woman's control to change.

also, you really need to provide evidence of your claims instead of just making statement and then defending them with "yes they are". it's not a proper discussion if you can't back it up.

The-Raven
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2012, 1:24 pm

Tequila wrote:
The-Raven wrote:

Were you teasing me or were you using my name to tease myth?

Come on now, spill the beans. ;)

I was teasing you! :P