Page 26 of 100 [ 1585 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 100  Next

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2012, 12:28 am

hyperlexian wrote:
let's keep the actual sexism and personal insults out of the thread, please, or it will be locked. thank you.

EDIT: i should add that i removed a bunch of unacceptable posts.

My FIFY edit was deemed acceptable :P

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2012, 12:31 am

Vexcalibur wrote:
You've been treated badly by women, ergo you lost sympathy for women.

But chances are you've been treated badly by men as well.

The problem with sexism is this:
https://xkcd.com/385/

To consider the other gender as alien and as a uniform group rather than as fellow human beings who happen to have a different chromosome.

Wanna know something funny about girls? There are as many different kinds of them as there are different kinds of boys.

i really just wanted to highlight this. by seeing each other as people first and gendered (or whatever) second, there can be less of a divide.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2012, 12:33 am

Vigilans wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:
let's keep the actual sexism and personal insults out of the thread, please, or it will be locked. thank you.

EDIT: i should add that i removed a bunch of unacceptable posts.

My FIFY edit was deemed acceptable :P

i missed it, but when i went back and found it, it still passes muster. nothing offensive there.

myth
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2012, 6:01 am

TheDarkMage wrote:
what he actually meant was a play on words. because you said you agree with tequila it sounded like you find tequila an agreeable drink therefore he suggested you should see a doctor.

it didnt have offensive intent.

Ah. Thank you! This was what I was looking for :) I did not understand the expression.

Nothing is absolute.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2012, 11:55 am

DoneOver wrote:
How is saying that I don't want naked men fanning me an unacceptable comment? It was in response to vigilans.

that wasn't what you said. i will respond via PM so the thread is not derailed.

unduki
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2012, 1:06 pm

Master_Pedant wrote:
Given the amount of times I've seen anti-feminist threads on this board (some with pretty friggin' bad arguments, btw), I must ask - does anyone else agree with the feminist propositions? Namely, that...

• Gender equality is an ideal to strive for.
  • Structural inequalities that disadvantage women still exist.

I don't like sexism at all. I hate the whole, "I'm stronger so you have to do what I say" way of thinking because frankly, some men are just plain stupid. It makes no sense
. I grew up a tomboy and thoroughly resent all the doors that have been slammed in my face because I was born without man parts. I might have been a feminist had I not birthed and raised three sons. Having a mother's perspective softens my expectations of men. They can't help being men any more than women can help being women. There are just certain things going on that can't be denied. The physical stuff, the hormones, all the stuff we have regardless of ideology.

Saying men can't raise children alone is sexist. I've raised 4 kids on my own and I'll tell you women can't do it alone, either. It's a two person job. We just do it because it has to be done and some of us do a damn fine job, but looking around, I don't think we're doing as well as we should. Divorce should be outlawed until the kids are grown. (Wouldn't that be fun?) You have a baby, we'll do DNA testing and track down your future husband. hah! Maybe then more people might pay better attention to what they're putting in their bodies.

If you think things are bad now, watch a few episodes of "I Love Lucy." She had a great way of making fun of the inequities of the day but if you remove the humor and consider the reality you'll realize we've come a long way in the past 50 years.

Lucy had the right of it. She used comedy to educate the masses. She showed us how silly we were behaving.

I tend to think any man who says he's anti-feminist is arguing for an excuse for bad behavior, however I don't like how feminism vilifies men. One can hardly blame a man for not liking something that portrays him as evil for being born. Can't we all just get along?

I'm more concerned with the rights of women in other countries where they are given less regard than livestock.

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2012, 1:24 pm

AspieRogue wrote:
I personally have had a lot of problems IRL getting along with (NT)women and while I won't go into detail here, I will say that many many of them have treated me poorly for being socially inept. So the reason I'm not much a feminist isn't because I lack respect for women, it's that I lack sympathy for women AS A WHOLE. But I do not hate all women and have no trouble accepting women as individuals.

I have had no such problems with most women. Some of the nicest women I've met have been feminists.

Not that I'm going to trade one anecdote for another as "proof" of anything.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2012, 2:46 pm

AspieRogue wrote:
[I can tell you quite honestly that being servile to our "new feminine overlords" is not going to make them sleep with you!

Oh, don't be so fast! Vexcalibur, Maser Pedant, et. all are the sexiest guys on WP. :wink: I might not sleep with them after meeting them and finding out that they have extra limbs growing out of their torso, are stinky, or some other disqualifier that I can't predict, but their brains definitely have them starting out with more points than average.

Edit: that didn't come out like I meant it to, but it's too late to delete it now. For the record, I'm practically celibate.

Last edited by LKL on 19 Mar 2012, 12:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

TheDarkMage
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Mar 2012, 2:50 pm

unduki wrote:

I tend to think any man who says he's anti-feminist is arguing for an excuse for bad behavior

not true. im very well behaved and respect any who respect me back - male or female.

unduki wrote:
however I don't like how feminism vilifies men. One can hardly blame a man for not liking something that portrays him as evil for being born.

exactly why i am anti-feminist

unduki wrote:
Can't we all just get along?

i would love to.

unduki wrote:
I'm more concerned with the rights of women in other countries where they are given less regard than livestock.

as should everyone be

TheHouseholdCat
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2012, 2:52 pm

Master_Pedant wrote:
AspieRogue wrote:
I personally have had a lot of problems IRL getting along with (NT)women and while I won't go into detail here, I will say that many many of them have treated me poorly for being socially inept. So the reason I'm not much a feminist isn't because I lack respect for women, it's that I lack sympathy for women AS A WHOLE. But I do not hate all women and have no trouble accepting women as individuals.

I have had no such problems with most women. Some of the nicest women I've met have been feminists.

Not that I'm going to trade one anecdote for another as "proof" of anything.

Well, it just shows that not every feminist is the same.

I have been treated poorly for being socially inept by men AND women. Isn't it a bit contradictory to say that you lack sympathy for all women, but can accept some of them as individuals? It's quite funny, if you think about it. I sometimes feel that way about men, but it's mostly just those stereotypes rather than them as "men".

"It's how they see things. It's a way of bringing class to an environment, and I say that pejoratively because, obviously, good music is good music however it's created, however it's motivated." - Thomas Newman

TheHouseholdCat
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2012, 2:55 pm

TheDarkMage wrote:
unduki wrote:
however I don't like how feminism vilifies men. One can hardly blame a man for not liking something that portrays him as evil for being born.

exactly why i am anti-feminist

If you knew a bit more about feminism, you wouldn't say that. It also depends on how you define "feminism". There are a lot of feminists who say that sexism affects both men and women. And it just makes sense. By forcing both women and men into a particular role, you do damage to both of them.

I couldn't relate to feminism myself for a long time, but if you think about it enough, it's not so evil.

"It's how they see things. It's a way of bringing class to an environment, and I say that pejoratively because, obviously, good music is good music however it's created, however it's motivated." - Thomas Newman

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2012, 2:55 pm

TheDarkMage wrote:

unduki wrote:

as should everyone be

Has anyone here put two and two together and figured out why women are treated so badly in other countries?

TheHouseholdCat
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2012, 2:58 pm

puddingmouse wrote:
TheDarkMage wrote:

unduki wrote:

as should everyone be

Has anyone here put two and two together and figured out why women are treated so badly in other countries?

Well, I guess a lot of it is rooted in religion and old-fashioned values. But that seems to be a general trend.

It seems to me though that feminism is a transnational movement, it's not about who has to live under worse conditions. Because there's quite a lot of projects in "other countries", too.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2012, 3:04 pm

^

I'm not gonna say the 'p' word again in this thread because I feel even more like a broken record than usual.

Of course feminism is a transnational movement, as the phenomenon it tackles is a transnational one.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2012, 6:09 pm

My sister is a feminist I dont see anything wrong with it 8)

femme
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Mar 2012, 8:15 pm

Joker wrote:
My sister is a feminist I dont see anything wrong with it 8)

No their isnt anything wrong with being a Feminist I am strait edge a vegan and a Feminist I have always been a Feminist since middle school women run the world men just thank they do.