Page 27 of 100 [ 1585 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 100  Next

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2012, 8:16 pm

[img][800:480]http://i476.photobucket.com/albums/rr125/flanger-hanger/AirelFacepalm.jpg[/img]

to his Interest."

femme
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Mar 2012, 8:25 pm

I :heart: Ariel

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2012, 10:49 pm

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

LiberalJustice
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2012, 11:19 pm

femme wrote:
Joker wrote:
My sister is a feminist I dont see anything wrong with it 8)

No their isnt anything wrong with being a Feminist I am strait edge a vegan and a Feminist I have always been a Feminist since middle school. Women run the world, men just think they do.

It's the kind of feminism implied in the bolded part that I do not agree with (the whole "female supremacy" attitude). I believe men and women should be equal. That was the whole point behind the original movement.

Adopted mother to a cat named Charlotte, and grandmother to 3 kittens.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2012, 11:25 pm

I can't think of any feminists who think that women already run the world. I have read some stuff by female supremacists (no, I don't agree with it, at all) and their argument is that women should run the world.

What femme said sounded more post-feminist to me, the whole, 'women have this sort of subtle power over men, so feminism isn't really necessary' schtick.

TheDarkMage
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Mar 2012, 3:58 am

femme wrote:
women run the world men just thank they do.

and so feminism shows its true face.

donnie_darko
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2012, 4:07 am

unduki wrote:

I tend to think any man who says he's anti-feminist is arguing for an excuse for bad behavior, however I don't like how feminism vilifies men. One can hardly blame a man for not liking something that portrays him as evil for being born. Can't we all just get along?

That, and the fact that feminists have a tendency to trivialise the unique problems that men face that women don't have as much of an issue with. An example, dating. Women often complain that the men they date are jerks, and I'm sure often times that's a legitimate complaint, but what about the many men, including myself, that have trouble even finding a woman? No matter how unattractive you are, as a woman, you will find SOME man who will go out with you. In fact if you're unattractive you're more likely not to be used by selfish men even though your pool is shallower, basically you're in a similar boat to the typical man when it comes to dating. On the other hand, you can be a man with good hygiene and is average looking, but if you are nerdy, awkward, or unskilled when it comes to dealing with the opposite sex, you literally might die an unkissed virgin.

And of course, the fact men have a shorter life expectancy, and historically were forced to march off to war. And it's not like being 'the boss' is always a good thing, it's as much, if not more, of a burden than a privilege.

I wouldn't say I'm anti-feminist though, if you are going by the dictionary definition of a feminist that a feminist is simply a person who believes the sexes are of equal worth. Personally, I think that is not what feminist really means, but yeah obviously anyone who thinks the sexes are not equal is a mean person.

donnie_darko
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2012, 4:11 am

I also stand by my case that the reason women are under-represented in leadership is because, on average, they are simply less interested in being leaders. Which is pretty disappointing to be honest.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2012, 6:11 am

donnie_darko wrote:

That, and the fact that feminists have a tendency to trivialise the unique problems that men face that women don't have as much of an issue with. An example, dating. Women often complain that the men they date are jerks, and I'm sure often times that's a legitimate complaint, but what about the many men, including myself, that have trouble even finding a woman? No matter how unattractive you are, as a woman, you will find SOME man who will go out with you. In fact if you're unattractive you're more likely not to be used by selfish men even though your pool is shallower, basically you're in a similar boat to the typical man when it comes to dating. On the other hand, you can be a man with good hygiene and is average looking, but if you are nerdy, awkward, or unskilled when it comes to dealing with the opposite sex, you literally might die an unkissed virgin.

Um, not all women are straight?

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2012, 6:13 am

donnie_darko wrote:
I also stand by my case that the reason women are under-represented in leadership is because, on average, they are simply less interested in being leaders. Which is pretty disappointing to be honest.

The conditioning of girls to be subordinate is pretty strong, even though there have been attempts to erode it. You have to remember how dire a lot of women's self-esteem is when it comes to leadership issues.

I, personally, have an interest in leadership, but I've always lacked confidence.

TheDarkMage
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Mar 2012, 6:42 am

puddingmouse wrote:
You have to remember how dire a lot of women's self-esteem is when it comes to leadership issues.

I, personally, have an interest in leadership, but I've always lacked confidence.

and your point is?

what is the difference between that and the legions of men who have the same issue? Should women be given preference because of self esteem issues?

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2012, 6:45 am

TheDarkMage wrote:
puddingmouse wrote:
You have to remember how dire a lot of women's self-esteem is when it comes to leadership issues.

and your point is?

what is the difference between that and the legions of men who have the same issue? Should women be given preference because of self esteem issues?

The difference is that women's self esteem issues are culturally conditioned. It's the cultural conditioning that I want to tackle. I cba with positive discrimination.

TheDarkMage
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Mar 2012, 6:49 am

puddingmouse wrote:
TheDarkMage wrote:
puddingmouse wrote:

and your point is?

The difference is that women's self esteem issues are culturally conditioned. It's the cultural conditioning that I want to tackle. I cba with positive discrimination.

cba?

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2012, 6:50 am

^

can't be arsed

TheDarkMage
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Mar 2012, 6:53 am

puddingmouse wrote:
^

can't be arsed

cant be arsed or dont agree with it?

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2012, 6:55 am

TheDarkMage wrote:
puddingmouse wrote:
^

can't be arsed

cant be arsed or dont agree with it?

both

But I think it's more backlash than it's worth, even if I agreed with it.