Page 4 of 29 [ 458 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 29  Next

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2011, 12:18 am

Inuyasha wrote:
Anyways, if you are referring to Mitt Romney, the only way I'm voting for that clown is if he's the nominee to run against Obama.

I was referring to one Michelle Bachmann, in point of fact.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2011, 12:21 am

Inuyasha wrote:
So you finally admitted you are a liberal.

It seems to me that he is admitting to being a Moderate, in the sense that he is applying socially liberal ideas in a conservative (and thus more effective and efficient) manner. "Think Liberal, Act Conservative" - there's nothing wrong with that.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2011, 12:23 am

Fnord wrote:
marshall wrote:
You're the one constantly bitching about how hard your life was.

Correct. The key word is "was". I gave up on self-pity long ago, right about the same time that I resolved to make something of myself rather than rely solely upon the kindness of strangers.

No you haven't. Self-content people don't b***h about how hard thier life was.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2011, 12:25 am

Fnord wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
So you finally admitted you are a liberal.

It seems to me that he is admitting to being a Moderate, in the sense that he is applying socially liberal ideas in a conservative (and thus more effective and efficient) manner. Nothing wrong with that.

Moderate doesn't mean anything. On social issues I am liberal, but if push came to shove I would typically be willing to sacrifice social issues for economics. On economic issues I am, for the most part, a pragmatist. This means opposing the proposals put forward by the Republican party in recent years- it does not necessarily mean backing Democratic proposals.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2011, 12:26 am

Orwell wrote:
You really think liberals just want to mooch off other people?

Lol, no. I'd say that they're compassionate people with big hearts but misdirected energies.

Orwell wrote:
I'll have you know that I qualify for food stamps, and do not take them. The government money that I have taken has consisted of $4500 in academic merit-based scholarships that I received for being one of the top 150 students in my state (it would have been $6000 but the Republicans cut funding for the program last year) and some subsidized student loans which I will be paying back, albeit at slightly below-market interest rates. I pay taxes on my modest income, and later, when I am earning more money, I will pay higher taxes without constantly bitching about it.

The concern is more about having jobs in the long run. I think the biggest quagmire we're in right now is making the 'rich' an inseparable block. There are the billionares, the legacy people, then there are the people who just barely - marginally - classify as rich who are the small-mid sized company heads who are providing the jobs. I'd much rather see companies like GE have their loopholes shut and letting small business have a better go at holding their own with the giants.

Orwell wrote:
Over the course of my lifetime, I will pay a lot more in taxes than I will receive in direct government services. You right-wingers need to stop projecting your own self-serving nature on to the left. Man up and fulfill your obligations to your country. Take responsibility for yourself and be a contributing member of society- and this includes helping to support the institutions that keep our society intact.

Is that an implication that we sit around on big pallets of stacked cash doing nothing all day? Maybe the legacy millionaires of the world, not the upper middle class and not the middle-middle class like myself.

Orwell wrote:
This conservative myth about how they are the real, hard-working, self-reliant Americans is utter BS.

So is the notion that we come home from work and supposit our thumbs? Would you figure that its only liberals volunteering at soup kitchens and hospitals or taking financial hits to work in non-profit or teach in poorer areas of the world? That's a strange theory, I think you'd be the first I've ever heard to have suggested that.

Orwell wrote:
I know plenty of conservatives who are happy with government handouts to themselves- in fact, at least one of them is currently a front-runner for the Republican nomination for President. Heavily conservative regions also tend to be the areas that are the largest recipients of government aid.

Farm subsidies? I think everyone agrees those need to be cut. If that's really a moral blackmail chip in your books I don't think its going to be there in its current state much longer.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2011, 12:29 am

Orwell wrote:
This is not as rare as you might think. I have even seen you indulging in such assumptions before.

Given that I am referring to a great extreme, on the same level as the "Aspie is master race" crowd, I think you're mistaken.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2011, 12:30 am

Fnord wrote:
"Mindblind" is the new "Closed-Minded" - both are merely liberalist buzzwords.

Hunh???? I'm referring to theory of mind, Fnord. Theory of mind is one of those things that Aspies are usually considered bad at, and it merely is just the ability to model other minds effectively. The failure to model minds effectively can lead to overstating the necessity of certain conclusions. In particular, I am actually in some sense, defending the viability of a person with AS being a conservative in pointing out that the failure to recognize the possibility is likely the result of a cognitive flaw. So...... yeah, I have no idea what you are referring to, as I don't see this term being used in the public discourse, with the major use being THEORY OF MIND issues.

Last edited by Awesomelyglorious on 13 Aug 2011, 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2011, 12:32 am

marshall wrote:
techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Then again for aspies and people with disabilities in general who aren't in that situation and can sustain gainful employment - there should be agencies and assistance but nothing like handouts, much more like geared employment agencies who'd perhaps help them fight right-fit situations and cultures where both their gifts and their natural brick walls are accounted for appropriately.

In an ideal world that would be great. In a real job situation you have to be extraordinarily gifted in some aspect of the job to avoid being cut down for your deficiencies another aspect. Sadly, it is the weakest link that matters most. It seems like the government isn't motivated to have a "make-a-job" program for people with disabilities when it's cheaper and easier to just send them a check in the mail.

I don't think there will ever be a perfect situation for us, or situations where plenty of us don't catch criticism for the friction that our disabilities cause. The thing that I think can be agreed on as messed up is when employment overall is threatened more due to cultural issues rather than aptitude and when you have people who may likely be dying ten or fifteen years early from the stress of just trying to make ends meet and hope they can save up enough money by the next time they're fired to hunker down and have enough money for rent or mortgage until the cycle can renew itself.

In that sense its not a pie-in-the-sky issue at all. Right now though already there are more and more privately funded grants and endowments to help lift people with dissabilities off of social security and into meaningful work, likely the growth of agencies will be the next step.

Ancalagon
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2011, 12:39 am

marshall wrote:
The OP may genuinely beleive the stereotype presented which you happen to find offensive. Ruveyn is deliberately calling liberals insulting names.

Quote:
What the f**k is this. All you are is a bitter curmudgeon who likes to self-aggrandize and b***h

Quote:
It looks like a lot of as*holes get misdiagnosed with aspergers syndrome due to the whole "lack of empathy" myth.

First you call someone out for what you call insults. Then you start dishing out insults.

:?

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2011, 12:41 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Orwell wrote:
You really think liberals just want to mooch off other people?

Lol, no. I'd say that they're compassionate people with big hearts but misdirected energies.

Then why would you say "we prefer that to bilking the man, getting fat off the system for five or ten years just to see our society collapse beneath us" when attempting to contrast conservatives and liberals?

Quote:
then there are the people who just barely - marginally - classify as rich who are the small-mid sized company heads who are providing the jobs.

This is a myth, and it's been debunked. Small business owners do not earn a quarter million dollars a year.

Quote:
Orwell wrote:
Over the course of my lifetime, I will pay a lot more in taxes than I will receive in direct government services. You right-wingers need to stop projecting your own self-serving nature on to the left. Man up and fulfill your obligations to your country. Take responsibility for yourself and be a contributing member of society- and this includes helping to support the institutions that keep our society intact.

Is that an implication that we sit around on big pallets of stacked cash doing nothing all day?

No, and I refuse to believe you are so illiterate as to misinterpret my post that badly. Everyone has the obligation to pay their fair share to support vital institutions in our community. Complaining about being asked to do your part, and trying to push for policy changes that would allow you to free-load, is unpatriotic.

Quote:
Orwell wrote:
This conservative myth about how they are the real, hard-working, self-reliant Americans is utter BS.

So is the notion that we come home from work and supposit our thumbs? Would you figure that its only liberals volunteering at soup kitchens and hospitals or taking financial hits to work in non-profit or teach in poorer areas of the world? That's a strange theory, I think you'd be the first I've ever heard to have suggested that.

Again, this is a pathetic straw man. I never said anything of the sort. Learn to read. The conservative mythos- which you were just promoting- of complete self-reliance is false. Conservatives accept government aid whenever it is offered.

Quote:
Farm subsidies? I think everyone agrees those need to be cut. If that's really a moral blackmail chip in your books I don't think its going to be there in its current state much longer.

Also Medicaid. Although accepting Medicaid is not a problem to me so much as the hypocrisy.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2011, 12:42 am

Ancalagon wrote:
marshall wrote:
The OP may genuinely beleive the stereotype presented which you happen to find offensive. Ruveyn is deliberately calling liberals insulting names.

Quote:
What the f**k is this. All you are is a bitter curmudgeon who likes to self-aggrandize and b***h

Quote:
It looks like a lot of as*holes get misdiagnosed with aspergers syndrome due to the whole "lack of empathy" myth.

First you call someone out for what you call insults. Then you start dishing out insults. :?

Is he the pot or the kettle? I forget which... :lol:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2011, 12:42 am

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
Orwell wrote:
This is not as rare as you might think. I have even seen you indulging in such assumptions before.

Given that I am referring to a great extreme, on the same level as the "Aspie is master race" crowd, I think you're mistaken.

There is a difference of degree, of course.

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2011, 12:59 am

150 years ago all of these religious right conservatives were members of the Confederate States of America.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2011, 1:01 am

Ancalagon wrote:
marshall wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

First you call someone out for what you call insults. Then you start dishing out insults.

:?

Why is telling the truth dishing out insults?

Why don't we all drop the silly accusations of hypocrisy and admit that we hate each other. Fnord hold contempt for liberals and I likewise hold contempt for bitter old curmudgeons with personality disorders. American conservatism attracts diseased minds filled with caustic loathing.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2011, 1:22 am

Orwell wrote:
Then why would you say "we prefer that to bilking the man, getting fat off the system for five or ten years just to see our society collapse beneath us" when attempting to contrast conservatives and liberals?

I'm contrasting the OP's claims that its horridly wrong to be conservative and even further beyond the pail to be an aspie conservative. For liberals as well its not saying liberals are lazy, but I would acknowledge that I believe that the liberal crowd in politics consists more often than not of what would be considered first-stage thinkers (yes, its a coined term), that the experiments performed more often than not blow up (Great Society and the New Deal being two of the largest examples among many similar missteps), and while everyone is doing what they believe shows good intent its often going hand in hand with squandering resources on what we already know won't work rather than solving the problem in a more practical manner.

Orwell wrote:
This is a myth, and it's been debunked. Small business owners do not earn a quarter million dollars a year.

How tightly are we defining small? I'd call it anything less than 100 employees.

Orwell wrote:
techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Is that an implication that we sit around on big pallets of stacked cash doing nothing all day?

No, and I refuse to believe you are so illiterate as to misinterpret my post that badly. Everyone has the obligation to pay their fair share to support vital institutions in our community. Complaining about being asked to do your part, and trying to push for policy changes that would allow you to free-load, is unpatriotic.

You really think that's what's happening? I would have thought it was about mismanagement of funds but what do I know.

Orwell wrote:
Again, this is a pathetic straw man. I never said anything of the sort. Learn to read. The conservative mythos- which you were just promoting- of complete self-reliance is false. Conservatives accept government aid whenever it is offered.

No, I sincerely have no idea what you're talking about. Are you perhaps confusing all conservatism with Randianism? That might be a big part of what you're projecting on me and why this conversation's been as strange as it has.

Orwell wrote:
Also Medicaid. Although accepting Medicaid is not a problem to me so much as the hypocrisy.

And this is where you're erecting your own straw men. It really sounds like you're implying that the majority of conservatives are tax-protestors for the sake of just not wanting to pay their fare share.

On the personal level, people are disturbed with what Washington's doing with their money. Do you think the tea party protestors may have wanted to get into Washington to change spending habbits and efficiency more than just cut themselves a free check? It seems really popular for people to say 'Where were all these people when Bush (really Nancy and Harry) was spending all this money?', it takes a lot for people to get pissed enough to form grassroots movements, they'd rather be home living their lives and things have to get pretty bad in general before most people really feel like they need to get out and fight for their fundamental understandings of economics and national exceptionalism.

Also for corporate taxes, I know I'm pulling Wiki in, this is on the fly but I've heard this before and here's some evidence at least that its not a rumor - the US has the second or third highest corporate tax rates in a global economy:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tax_rates_around_the_world
That might not be a wise place to stay if we really wish to encourage business to stay at home, let alone to base themselves here.

cw10
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2011, 1:37 am

ruveyn wrote:
Andoryuu wrote:
Seriously. I have trouble just thinking about why anyone would want to be a conservative, but AS people should know what it's like to not be part of the majority and to need healthcare, etc. Why would they belong to a group that is so focused on building a world of just rich, white, heterosexual men with nothing different about them and no illnesses?

I know several people with AS beside myself who are not pinko stinko commie loving liberal collectivists.

ruveyn

QFT.