Preparing for election, post election riots

Page 4 of 19 [ 298 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 19  Next

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

05 Nov 2020, 5:39 am

Please, don't heat the atmosphere.
We need to go through it together.
Obviously, press slanted this or that way will cherry-pick shots to report the opposite side rallies as more violent than they are.
Don't buy into these narratives.
The world is too small and the weapons too powerful. We need solutions, not tribe wars.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2020, 5:42 am

PHOENIX (Reuters) - A crowd of Donald Trump supporters, some armed with rifles and handguns, gathered outside an election center in Arizona on Wednesday night after unsubstantiated rumors that votes for the Republican president were deliberately not being counted.
https://in.reuters.com/article/us-usa-e ... SKBN27L0PC

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2020, 5:43 am

magz wrote:
Please, don't heat the atmosphere.
We need to go through it together.
Obviously, press slanted this or that way will cherry-pick shots to report the opposite side rallies as more violent than they are.
Don't buy into these narratives.
The world is too small and the weapons too powerful. We need solutions, not tribe wars.

Ok I'll cool off

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2020, 6:30 am

cyberdad wrote:
We know who is causing the protests and intimidating staff in polling booths accusing them of fraudulent counting
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... s-election

Happening all over the country Bric

Yet another example of projecting onto those you dislike, it appears...

If you read the article, the "right wing"\"MAGA" protests are described as:
Quote:
In Phoenix a group of pro-Trump protesters, some of them armed, gathered outside the Maricopa county election center, where sheriff’s deputies were guarding both the outside of the building and the counting inside.

Many wore “Make America great again” hats and some carried signs baselessly alleging fraud. The Associated Press and other news organizations, including the conservative network Fox News, declared Biden the victor in Arizona yesterday, but Trump has been inching closer to a tie. Demonstrators chanted: “Shame on Fox.”

Despite reports that counting would be halted as a result of the demonstration, county officials confirmed that ballots would continue to be tallied into the night. Reporters, however, were asked to leave as the pro-Trump protesters crowded outside.

The incident echoed an earlier event in Michigan, when a rightwing, anti-lockdown group crowded outside a ballot-counting site in Detroit. The small cluster of Trump supporters descended on the center amid chants of “Stop the count!”. (In Phoenix, where Biden’s lead was shrinking, Trump supporters shouted the opposite.)

So, from your source, the right wing people were "demonstrating", with no indication of riots, or even violence (whether against people or property).

Contrast this with the description of the earlier riots in NY, which you dishonestly labelled as being by "MAGAs":
Quote:
Police made some arrests at the various demonstrations, including in New York. Dozens of protesters were also arrested in Minneapolis after demanding action on a range of issues including policing, climate change and immigration, according to local media reports. Arrests were also made in Los Angeles and in Portland, Oregon.

I hope at some point you will stop attacking\falsely accusing this group of humans which you appear to dislike...

As a related note, having seen your earlier comment where you vindictively hoped for the winners to "rub the losers nose in" the result of the victory, coupled with these frequent (and almost entirely inaccurate) attempts to demean\dehumanise\falsely accuse this group, I would like request you to cease addressing any future comments (or communication) towards me from this time on. That sort of sentiment reminds me too much of the rich (often private school) bullies from my school years who acted in a similar manner, continually putting down, and attacking (verbally or physically), those they saw as being "below" them, and this is not the sort of person who I would wish to be (or feel comfortable) associated with, even in conversation.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

05 Nov 2020, 7:11 am

I repeat my appeal.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2020, 10:06 am

This is an important topic. If this thread is locked by rules we can not start a new thread on the same topic and no further developments can be reported.

There are two related but separate things going on.

There are Trump supporters trying to stop vote counting by descending on places where the votes are being counted and making a lot of noise. This is probably criminal trespass and they should have been arrested. What it is not is a riot.

There are “Count the Vote” demonstrations by Trump opponents. In New York the protests got violent on one block. Among other things trash was lit on fire in the street creating the APPEARANCE of anarchy. While not good or justified it was more of a disturbance then a riot.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2020, 10:44 am

What we thought the election would be:

What it been like so far:

^gif of paint drying

Tempus Fugit
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2020, 11:48 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
This is an important topic. If this thread is locked by rules we can not start a new thread on the same topic and no further developments can be reported.

There are Trump supporters trying to stop vote counting by descending on places where the votes are being counted and making a lot of noise. This is probably criminal trespass and they should have been arrested. What it is not is a riot.

There are “Count the Vote” demonstrations by Trump opponents. In New York the protests got violent on one block. Among other things trash was lit on fire in the street creating the APPEARANCE of anarchy. While not good or justified it was more of a disturbance then a riot.

A certain level of civil unrest is perfectly understandable.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2020, 4:41 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:

But if they try to destroy the voting counting, that is sabotaging the election, and they will just have to have a whole new election as a result. Don't they see that that doesn't help anything, but they are just going to cause a repeat of an election to happen?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2020, 6:38 pm

ironpony wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

But if they try to destroy the voting counting, that is sabotaging the election, and they will just have to have a whole new election as a result. Don't they see that that doesn't help anything, but they are just going to cause a repeat of an election to happen?

Recount at most, not redo the election.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2020, 7:40 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
ironpony wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

Oh okay, I thought the rioters might try to destroy the evidence of the votes, and therefore, they cannot be recounted, if the votes are destroyed.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2020, 10:23 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
ironpony wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

A redo of the election (at least in certain states) may not be out of the question, following a precedent the Democrats set last year:
Quote:
The decision came after a dramatic day, during a dramatic hearing, in a dramatic race. North Carolina election officials on Thursday ordered a new election in the state’s fraud-tainted Ninth Congressional District, the only 2018 U.S. House race that still doesn’t have a winner.

The contest between the Republican Mark Harris and the Democrat Dan McCready appeared to have been decided, albeit by a small margin, in Harris’s favor on Election Night. Now voters will remain without congressional representation until a new election is held, following shocking revelations of a brazen scheme to break the law and swing the election using absentee ballots.

Source: https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2019/02/north-carolina-9th-fraud-board-orders-new-election/583369/

Whether it occurs, or is even suggested: Who knows.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2020, 6:50 am

Well yeah if they bomb the building the election will have to be redone. So far it was a lot of screaming, banging on walls and threatening phone calls.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2020, 5:40 pm

But why do both sides want to destroy the election and have it be redone, if that is more ideal? Wouldn't people still vote the same way, and it would have to be done all over again? Why do people feel it would be different if it were redone?

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2020, 6:35 pm

I think one side is perfectly happy with how the election has gone