Page 4 of 5 [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Pandora
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2008, 8:55 am

I would go to church if somebody came with me. I feel too exposed going by myself.

Hold your heads up high.
"Western Girls" - Dragon

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2008, 10:24 am

I just wish Chrstians would stop halving sects, because we have way too many denominations as it is, IMO. Paul said not to take such positions, "For it hath been declared unto me of you, my brethren, by them which are of the house of Chloe, that there are contentions among you. Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos; and I of Cephas; and I of Christ.
Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul?" (1 Cor 1:11-13).

Or Luther, or Calvin, or the Pope?

So please, everyone, stop halving sects!

(Hehe, I had also forgotten that my parrot, Chloe, was metioned in the Bible. :lol: )

Juggernaut
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2008, 12:56 pm

Does anyone else seem to notice a propensity of people on WP to be interested in the occult or to be atheist? Perhaps I am wrong, this is the only forum I have ever been involved in. But if it is the case, I would recommend a couple reasons. First, the logic based feelings. Now I do not believe at all that atheism is a rational option, but perhaps it is easier to accept since it also does not require any of the emotions attached to believing in a personal loving God.

Secondly, there are a lot of hurting people here who have struggled with severe depression and rejection, including myself. This has allowed a lot of darkness into my life and thus I have struggled with dark spiritual beings my whole life. To a Christian, this battle may ulitimately temper your faith, but to the lost, the presence of that darkness and the lack of God makes it much easier to succumb to occult religion---if it's not atheism it may be easier to accept darker spirituality if those dark feelings are the only ones you have felt.

I am not saying if you have AS it makes you inherently more connected with evil or seperate from God. I am just saying that a person (and of course it is always a personal thing) has certain challenges, it may make it much easier for them to fall and much harder to pick themselves up in a spiritual sense. This could apply to many people with mental disorders, addictions histories of abuse, etc. It's not your fault that these things happened, but it IS going to affect how you view God and yourself, often in a negative way. The positive side to this is that it is only our God who completely redeems.

Juggernaut
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2008, 2:51 pm

In response to having sects, I am not a big fan of denominations. It's not wrong to have groups of believers who share certain interpretations of scripture. But I myself do not call myself the member or follower of any theologian or preacher other than the Bible.

I do find that certain groups tend to be a little overyly obsessed with denominationalism--namely Calvinists. There are those who get their primary spiritual identity from beleiveing the five points of predestination, rather than from being a Christian. Nothing wrong with identifying with certain theology within Christianity, but my experience with Calvinists has been, no offense to Calvinism itself, but that the ones I have known have been more interested in dividing themselves from other Christians than in finding common ground or inviting people in.

It's like a spiritual country club. "Oh, so you aren't reformed huh, guess you'll just have to learn to accept it to be a REAL Christian like I am". It's an arrogant attitude.

And I am not criticizing someone who believes in Calvinism (I almost do), but rather that I have had issues with certain Calvinists that I have not had with other denominations.

Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Jan 2008, 7:12 pm

I can show you scriptural prophecy fulfilled in the last sixty years. Jeremiah 16 says God wil return His people to the land He gave their fathers. It happened in 1948.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2008, 2:23 pm

The Church I go to is Nondenominational/General Conference Baptist. Most of the leaders have been trained at Moody Bible Institute. I think Calvinism is toward a correct view and I generally will side with Wayne Grudem, but Armenians are Christians as well. Equally. Jesus is both of ours' Salvation.

Helek_Aphel
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Jan 2008, 7:01 pm

The main point of going to a church in the first place is to have fellowship with other believers.
Fellowship with others makes you stronger (Two are better than one and all that).
It's easier to have fellowship with people you agree with.
I don't think denominations violate the Bible in themselves. It's just the manner in which a person can overexalt her/his own denomination.
To 777-
Israel is now a nation, but not all the Jews are back yet (and I personally know a Jewish family).

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2008, 11:21 am

I still think the prophecies have a partial application at least.

monty
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2008, 11:56 am

Juggernaut wrote:
Does anyone else seem to notice a propensity of people on WP to be interested in the occult or to be atheist? Perhaps I am wrong, this is the only forum I have ever been involved in. But if it is the case, I would recommend a couple reasons. First, the logic based feelings. Now I do not believe at all that atheism is a rational option, but perhaps it is easier to accept since it also does not require any of the emotions attached to believing in a personal loving God.

Secondly, there are a lot of hurting people here who have struggled with severe depression and rejection, including myself. This has allowed a lot of darkness into my life and thus I have struggled with dark spiritual beings my whole life. To a Christian, this battle may ulitimately temper your faith, but to the lost, the presence of that darkness and the lack of God makes it much easier to succumb to occult religion---if it's not atheism it may be easier to accept darker spirituality if those dark feelings are the only ones you have felt.

I am not saying if you have AS it makes you inherently more connected with evil or seperate from God. I am just saying that a person (and of course it is always a personal thing) has certain challenges, it may make it much easier for them to fall and much harder to pick themselves up in a spiritual sense. This could apply to many people with mental disorders, addictions histories of abuse, etc. It's not your fault that these things happened, but it IS going to affect how you view God and yourself, often in a negative way. The positive side to this is that it is only our God who completely redeems.

Not sure that atheist and occult go in the same categories - in my experience, people with these two very different belief systems tend to be quite different in their God-given personalities. Atheists do tend to be more scientific/rational/skeptical. And people that believe in various types of magic tend to jump to conclusions and attribute the normal course of things to supernatural explanations.

I think the common factor is that auties are less concerned with social conventions. I wonder if parents in India and Saudi Arabia are lamenting the fact that their autistic kids are less likely to follow traditions related to fashion, politics and religion?

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2008, 3:31 pm

monty wrote:
Juggernaut wrote:

Not sure that atheist and occult go in the same categories - in my experience, people with these two very different belief systems tend to be quite different in their God-given personalities. Atheists do tend to be more scientific/rational/skeptical. And people that believe in various types of magic tend to jump to conclusions and attribute the normal course of things to supernatural explanations.

I think the common factor is that auties are less concerned with social conventions. I wonder if parents in India and Saudi Arabia are lamenting the fact that their autistic kids are less likely to follow traditions related to fashion, politics and religion?

I don't think he meant that occult and atheism are in the same category but that most of the members here are either atheistic or into the occult.

India has more freedom so they'd get away with it more likely than in Saudi Arabia where they'd be stoned/burnt/cut/boiled/etc to death.

monty
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2008, 3:44 pm

Oh, I thought he was placing them in the same category (Non-Christian) ... and my explanation for that is that aspies are less likely to follow a religion just because their parents do.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2008, 3:57 pm

monty wrote:
Oh, I thought he was placing them in the same category (Non-Christian) ... and my explanation for that is that aspies are less likely to follow a religion just because their parents do.

Ya, it's easy to misread. I made a poll for the purpose of seeing what Wrong Planet's religious demographics look like. http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt53258.html Under the category of NonChristian you could put 2/3 of the world, but here I think it's more like 3/5.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2008, 1:47 pm

So far only 16% of WP voters are Christian on that poll...

NoNameRockBand
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2008, 2:25 pm

JESUS IS AWESOME!! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

@_@ I think I'm persecuting myself.

AFC who likes KFC

MissPickwickian
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2008, 7:01 am

I'm not a Christian, but I am obsessed with religion and love to read the New Testament.

If one sloughs away all the ugly history, the politics, and the dogmatism (i.e. listens to Christ rather than his followers), Christian philosophy shows itself to be quite mystical and gorgeous.

Jesus is one of many great teachers.

I am very solitary about my faith. Too many church services seem too much like parties to me. I see religion as more of a journey than a community, probably because of the introversion. Serious mystics off all kinds fascinate me.