Thoughts on a Canadian Coalition Government crisis

Page 4 of 7 [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

How functional are coalition governments?
Yes (explain) 50%  50%  [ 2 ]
No (explain) 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
I do not know (reason) 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
Who cares? (explain) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 4

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2008, 1:52 pm

Late breaking story on the CTV(newsnet)

Dion just handed in his resignation letter. I understand what you are saying, Fuzzy...the Liberal party is broke but apparently their caucus is going to pick an interim leader--probably Michael Ignatieff. Bob Rae will raise a stink(no doubt) as he has a right. I am not sure how this coalition will operate now, as Iggy has no love for Duceppe.

Fuzzy's Quote:

So no, as I see it, the conservatives will persist through the next confidence vote. The coalition is dead in the water and the liberals cannot afford another election. They are already deeply in debt.

As for the budget, I hope it is a reasonable one. But will the conservatives persist through the next confidence vote? I think if Ignatieff is chosen interim leader, Harper's days are numbered, and his government will not survive. At least I can hope it will not.

And I wonder if the Quebec provincial election will have any bearing on this. :wink:

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

Hurricane_Delta
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Dec 2008, 2:01 pm

sartresue wrote:

Dion just handed in his resignation letter. I understand what you are saying, Fuzzy...the Liberal party is broke but apparently their caucus is going to pick an interim leader--probably Michael Ignatieff. Bob Rae will raise a stink(no doubt) as he has a right. I am not sure how this coalition will operate now, as Iggy has no love for Duceppe.

Fuzzy's Quote:

So no, as I see it, the conservatives will persist through the next confidence vote. The coalition is dead in the water and the liberals cannot afford another election. They are already deeply in debt.

As for the budget, I hope it is a reasonable one. But will the conservatives persist through the next confidence vote? I think if Ignatieff is chosen interim leader, Harper's days are numbered, and his government will not survive. At least I can hope it will not.

And I wonder if the Quebec provincial election will have any bearing on this. :wink:

Can you enlighten me about Ignatieff? I haven't heard of him, I'm sorry to say.

If another election can be done, I like the ring of Prime Minister Ignatieff

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2008, 2:34 pm

I on Ignatieff topic

He has the weirdest eyebrows--my youngest calls them caterpillar brows!

I have to watch my internet usage, as I am nearing 100% if my limit. I have to wait until my internet month is over so I can start with a 0 byte balance.I suppose one can turn to Wiki for some words. I believe he has a website. For starters, Ignatieff is an academic who spent many years teaching/researching outside Canada.

I also have some research to do. He is not well known even to most Canadians.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2008, 5:15 pm

sartresue wrote:

Fuzzy's Quote:

A lot of Pequists I know were very elated when the Bloc was part of the Coalition and I'm sure a lot of them are making as much of this as they can as a means to garner support for their cause. I think it would be more accurate to ask how this will affect the provincial election. Speaking of which, I have to go vote pretty soon...

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2008, 10:15 pm

A majority government topic

Looks good for Charest. I hope this looks bad on Duceppe. :lol:

Hurricane_Delta
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Dec 2008, 10:26 pm

sartresue wrote:
A majority government topic

Looks good for Charest. I hope this looks bad on Duceppe. :lol:

Charest is of the Quebec Liberal Party, right? Based on what I saw, that party is for Liberalism and Quebec staying in the Canadian Confederation. So, if I'm interpreting this right, your saying this recent turn of events is good for the stability of my favorite country (alongside the US).

:D :hail:

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2008, 12:34 am

While I certainly prefer a conservative government to a liberal one, I must say I like Ignatieff much more than Rae. Usually for an opposition leader you want the lame duck(thanks for everything Dion!), Ignatieff just seems better for Canada overall.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2008, 6:12 pm

It is official topic

Ignatieff is now the offical interim leader of the Opposition (not the coalition, I hope). We need a strong leader to oppose Harper. Stay tuned!

Also, the Bank of Canada rate is 1.5%, and Canada is offically in a recession.
This is the lowest rate in 50 years!! 8O

No deal yet on a Government Auto Bailout.

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2008, 2:25 am

sartresue wrote:
No deal yet on a Government Auto Bailout.

The Americans did a bail out, so it seems likely we will too now.

sartresue, are you a member of the Liberal party of Canada?

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2008, 1:11 pm

Member needs a card topic

Not yet...

I just figured Iggy would be the one. Rae has nasty political baggage he has carried since the Days of Rae (NDP).

Dion had to go quickly and the Liberals needed a heavyweight. Big shoes to fill.

Looks like Harper will try to fill those 18 Senate seats with those from the You-know- Who party. Sometimes I wish I was (yuck) a Conservative who was owed some favour to Steve. :P Good wages ($130,000 per annum), a job until 75 years of age and benefits for only an average of 73 Senate sitting days per year (according to CTV newsnet stats). I guess Liz May will be Green with Envy.

Harper likes to play political chess. But it is the Queen he needs to worry about. :idea:

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2008, 7:37 pm

The queen is a figure head. Her representative only plays the role of arbitrator in the case deadlocks, confidence issues, etcetera. GG cannot dissolve the government. The queen cannot either, even in her own country.

What does Harper have to fear from them?

Its standard practice to load senate seats whenever you can. Will those 18 seats put the conservatives past parity with the liberals? I bet not.

Do you remember TWO specific Liberal prime ministers that defied the electoral wishes of Alberta in choosing Alberta senators? Does a liberal now sit in the seat of the late Stan Waters, Canada's only elected senator? What a slap in the face of grass roots. Tradition for the sake of tradition, for the sake of political power is wrong. Why dont the liberals want to further and deepen the democratic voice of Canadians?

Steve Harper is going for parliamentary reform. Triple E was a bust, so his angle of attack is currently dealing with funding for parties. When that funding is gone, it will ease the entry of independents, small parties... it will be more expensive, but will level the playing field.

That is good political reform.

Steve is a good chess player. But I bet Iggy is just as good, if not better. That man is smart.

In a lot of ways he and Harper want the same things. I bet he doesn't vote down the government.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2008, 10:23 pm

Fuzzy wrote:
The queen is a figure head. Her representative only plays the role of arbitrator in the case deadlocks, confidence issues, etcetera. GG cannot dissolve the government. The queen cannot either, even in her own country.

What does Harper have to fear from them?

Its standard practice to load senate seats whenever you can. Will those 18 seats put the conservatives past parity with the liberals? I bet not.

Do you remember TWO specific Liberal prime ministers that defied the electoral wishes of Alberta in choosing Alberta senators? Does a liberal now sit in the seat of the late Stan Waters, Canada's only elected senator? What a slap in the face of grass roots. Tradition for the sake of tradition, for the sake of political power is wrong. Why dont the liberals want to further and deepen the democratic voice of Canadians?

Steve Harper is going for parliamentary reform. Triple E was a bust, so his angle of attack is currently dealing with funding for parties. When that funding is gone, it will ease the entry of independents, small parties... it will be more expensive, but will level the playing field.

That is good political reform.

Steve is a good chess player. But I bet Iggy is just as good, if not better. That man is smart.

In a lot of ways he and Harper want the same things. I bet he doesn't vote down the government.

The Queen and I(ggy) topic

I was not referring Her Majesty!

Harper is an opportunist. I think it is a stretch to call him a reformer.

He is moving his King. Iggy is moving the Queen. They both want the same thing: Power. We all know which chess piece is the most powerful.

And the auto bailout will only happen here if the US does it there.

I am on the edge of my seat with all these developments. Stay tuned.

Thanks for your input Fuzzy.

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2008, 1:56 am

sartresue wrote:
Harper is an opportunist. I think it is a stretch to call him a reformer.

One can be both.

Quote:
He is moving his King. Iggy is moving the Queen. They both want the same thing: Power. We all know which chess piece is the most powerful.

You'll have to put names to the king and queen figures, I'm curious what you think they are.

Quote:
And the auto bailout will only happen here if the US does it there.

Agreed, but I think its a done deal there. Do you feel it should only happen here if it happens there?

Quote:
I am on the edge of my seat with all these developments. Stay tuned.

On this, we agree! Exciting, isnt it?

Quote:
Thanks for your input Fuzzy.

And you for yours my friend. I'm going to think on what they will do next! I'll hopefully post my thoughts tomorrow.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2008, 9:15 am

National Harpoon's Christmas gift? topic

On the well-worn heels of Bailing Bush's 17.4 billion to GM and Chrysler our conniving leader is announcing 4.2 billion rescue dollars (hope it is adjusted to match US currency) for our equally aling Auto sector. Harper will be on TV tonight (December 20) at 7PM ET to issue a formal statement. I will be watching on CTV newsnet.

Leaders in decline sure want to exit with a bang! :?

Stay tuned.

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2008, 3:21 am

sartresue wrote:
National Harpoon's Christmas gift? topic

On the well-worn heels of Bailing Bush's 17.4 billion to GM and Chrysler our conniving leader is announcing 4.2 billion rescue dollars (hope it is adjusted to match US currency) for our equally aling Auto sector. Harper will be on TV tonight (December 20) at 7PM ET to issue a formal statement. I will be watching on CTV newsnet.

Leaders in decline sure want to exit with a bang! :?

Stay tuned.

Oh get over it.

If the Liberals did it, you would praise it. Look at it from an end effect perspective. IS it a good thing? Or not?

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2008, 2:43 pm

Getting over it topic

I am going to follow my own advice and stay tuned on this one, Fuzzy. It is a real nail-biter. I would like such a bail out to work--though I am not sure how it will. I can see it from both sides--but only one will show when all is said and done.

I am not a liberal, Fuzzy. But I think Iggy is the only Iffy left.