Page 31 of 100 [ 1585 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 100  Next

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2012, 6:34 pm

androbot2084 wrote:
I have worked worked with male nurses at the hospital. The first adaptations that male nurses demand is to have their job descriptions expanded so that they can perform surgeries just like a combat medic is able to perform in a battlefield.

that sounds like 'a male nurse' or 'some male nurses,' as opposed to male nurses in general. I know a dozen or so personally, and none have ever mentioned such a thing. They're all competent, caring individuals and I've never seen any of them cross the line of their scope of practice; the same goes for the female nurses I know. In the ED, their scope of practice (as MICNs, vs. RNs) is considerably wider than in other departments, but the use of that expanded scope is patient-based rather than gender-based (ie, it depends on what the patient needs).

DC
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2012, 7:19 pm

hyperlexian wrote:
AspieRogue wrote:
I see this as being the legacy of chivalry. Feminists obviously want equality, but at the same time there were certain social amenities they had as a compensation for having less power and they clearly do not want to give these up.

what social amenities to i supposedly want to retain?

In the name of equality do you support men and women competing against each other at the Olympics?

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2012, 7:39 pm

Male nurses do not cross the line in civilian jobs or they would get fired. But perhaps male nurses do not mention it because they are not asked. But I asked a male nurse and I got the impression that he would perform a heart transplant in the battlefield if there were no Doctor around and he had the confidence to do it. To him it would not be any more controversial than replacing an engine because the soldier was going to die anyway.

When I work at a hospital I cross the line but I do it in a way that does not get me immediately fired. I have an interest in humanoid robots. These are my toys and can anyone legally stop me from playing with my toys ? But the message comes in loud and clear and that message is that I'm smarter than all of the Doctors combined.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2012, 10:51 pm

Tequila wrote:
AspieRogue wrote:
Even feminists don't like that much, despite her projecting a "strong woman" image to the world.

Perhaps that is because they don't have much of their own...?

this borders on a personal attack, Tequila. there are feminists on WP (on this thread right now) and it is not acceptable to imply or state that we are unattractive by virtue of being feminists.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2012, 10:51 pm

DC wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:
AspieRogue wrote:
I see this as being the legacy of chivalry. Feminists obviously want equality, but at the same time there were certain social amenities they had as a compensation for having less power and they clearly do not want to give these up.

In the name of equality do you support men and women competing against each other at the Olympics?

do you think this answers my question?

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2012, 2:06 am

hyperlexian wrote:
Tequila wrote:
AspieRogue wrote:
Even feminists don't like that much, despite her projecting a "strong woman" image to the world.

Perhaps that is because they don't have much of their own...?

this borders on a personal attack, Tequila. there are feminists on WP (on this thread right now) and it is not acceptable to imply or state that we are unattractive by virtue of being feminists.

It at least serves nicely to highlight the entrenched types of misogynist thinking feminism fights:

"Men are women's peers and deserve to be treated as such."
"Yeah, well YOU'RE UGLY."
~head pat~
"Leave the grown-up discourse for the adults, sweetheart."

to his Interest."

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2012, 2:11 am

DC wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:
AspieRogue wrote:

And here we have DC, silver medal winner and first male athlete to compete in the Olympic women's pole vault competition!! !!

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2012, 2:17 am

Vigilans wrote:
DC wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:
AspieRogue wrote:

And here we have DC, silver medal winner and first male athlete to compete in the Olympic women's pole vault competition!! !!

Someone more intelligent than I,
please explain to me why some conflate "equal" with "identical", outside mathematical proofs.

I'm serious.

to his Interest."

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2012, 9:32 am

Equal and identical are the same thing in mathematical proofs either.

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2012, 9:34 am

"I have no problems , so everyone else should shut up about theirs".

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2012, 11:29 am

ValentineWiggin wrote:
Vigilans wrote:
DC wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:
AspieRogue wrote:

please explain to me why some conflate "equal" with "identical", outside mathematical proofs.

I'm serious.

DC
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2012, 6:25 pm

ValentineWiggin wrote:
I'm serious.

I wonder the same thing about feminists sometimes, which is why I asked the Olympics question.

Here is an example of what I'm rather poorly trying to say.

In the military men and women have to meet different fitness requirements with the male requirements being quite a lot tougher. Special forces don't recruit women. Most militaries allow women to serve in support roles but not as front line troops.

Research into PTSD over the last 20 years has shown that when exposed to the same level of combat, women are 3 times more likely to suffer from PTSD than men are.

To balance things out a little, UN research into it's troop deployments as peacekeepers shows that women do an excellent job in peacekeeping roles. They are less corrupt, they generally don't rape people and they are trusted more by the local population, especially the native female population.

The question is this, do you really think it is a good idea to demand women be put into front line elite units where people are expected to be able to do things like the Falklands yomp?

In case you are wondering, when Britain recaptured the Falkland Islands the parachute regiment and the royal marines had to do a forced march across hilly/boggy terrain carrying 60kg-80kg of gear without sleep and while under enemy fire. Oh and they also had to fight and win a war against an enemy with superior numbers that had been given months to dig in and plant lots of mines.

What exactly is the point of feminists making an issue of the recruitment policy of the military when clearly there are so few women physically capable of doing what the job entails it would be a waste of money even opening the recruitment process to them.

Why exactly do you feel the need to show 'feminist solidarity' when someone claiming to be a feminist loses the plot and starts demanding absurd things like this or that 'all sex is rape' etc etc etc

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2012, 6:41 pm

DC wrote:
Why exactly do you feel the need to show 'feminist solidarity' when someone claiming to be a feminist loses the plot and starts demanding absurd things like this or that 'all sex is rape' etc etc etc

where have we said that?

DC
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2012, 6:57 pm

hyperlexian wrote:
DC wrote:

where have we said that?

That wasn't a dig at you Hyperlex, at various times the feminist movement has gotten behind some strange ideas because they came from radical feminists and at various times erupted into self righteous outrage about absurd things.

For example the Skepchick debacle.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2012, 7:00 pm

DC wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:
DC wrote:

where have we said that?

That wasn't a dig at you Hyperlex, at various times the feminist movement has gotten behind some strange ideas because they came from radical feminists and at various times erupted into self righteous outrage about absurd things.

if you're using that as an argument against feminists though, you should take into account the feminists who have spoken up in this thread. we haven't gotten behind things like that, so promoting the idea that "feminists support _X_" is not accurate.

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2012, 7:16 pm

hyperlexian wrote:
DC wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:
DC wrote:

where have we said that?

if you're using that as an argument against feminists though, you should take into account the feminists who have spoken up in this thread. we haven't gotten behind things like that, so promoting the idea that "feminists support _X_" is not accurate.

The great bit is that the person who supposedly said this (Andrea Dworkin) said no such thing,
and the "source" for this supposed quote (her book Intercourse) doesn't contain it.

So while it's true that it's absurd to waste time talking about what one individual from a progressive movement numbering in the tens of millions did or did not say,
in this instance,
the individual in question didn't even say it.

:lol:

to his Interest."