Should US require mandatory military service of citizens?

Page 5 of 5 [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Should US require mandatory military service of citizens?
Yes 13%  13%  [ 7 ]
No 87%  87%  [ 46 ]
Total votes : 53

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2013, 7:21 am

Mike1 wrote:
While the Nazis openly mocked democracy, the United States maintains the conceit that it is the model of democracy for the whole world.

I was under the impression the United States has the best democracy and politicians that money can buy. :wink:

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2013, 8:31 am

TallyMan wrote:
Mike1 wrote:
While the Nazis openly mocked democracy, the United States maintains the conceit that it is the model of democracy for the whole world.

I was under the impression the United States has the best democracy and politicians that money can buy. :wink:

Legally and constitutionally, the U.S. is a Republic. The Founders did not like democracy.

ruveyn

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2013, 8:37 am

If it was mandatory, such conscripts should legally be restricted to DOMESTIC service only. No sending them overseas to fight in wars. Let them serve in natural disasters, domestic security issues, etc.

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2013, 9:01 am

zer0netgain wrote:
If it was mandatory, such conscripts should legally be restricted to DOMESTIC service only. No sending them overseas to fight in wars. Let them serve in natural disasters, domestic security issues, etc.

Being drafted and sent overseas wouldn't be nearly as bad as it was in previous eras since modern-soldiers get full body armor that works well.

Imagine being a soldier in WWII or the Vietnam War without any body armor and/or a sh***y "flak-jacket" that doesn't help much.

Last edited by Venger on 10 Jul 2013, 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

PrncssAlay
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Jul 2013, 9:13 am

TallyMan wrote:

Not always. The guy in the foreground of this photo was reputed to have "more money than God." (He lost--both the debate and the election.) :)

Last edited by PrncssAlay on 10 Jul 2013, 11:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2013, 11:20 am

Venger wrote:
zer0netgain wrote:

Being drafted and sent overseas wouldn't be nearly as bad as it was in previous eras since modern-soldiers get full body armor that works well.

Um. No. Ballistic Armor only protects the torso. Full body armor (if it actually exists) is heavy, cumbersome, and largely ineffective for any combat situation.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2013, 11:29 am

Vexcalibur wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Vexcalibur wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Yes, it's one of the benefits of being a citizen of a superpower nation. Or should I say THE superpower nation?
:D

27-th country in median income doesn't sound like "THE" superpower.

http://www.alternet.org/economy/america ... paging=off

From a liberal source, of course. :roll:

Don't be illiterate, the article is liberal but the source is the Global Wealth Data book.

Anything I've ever bothered to read has the US in the top 10 or even the top 5.

Vexcalibur wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Besides, who cares as long as we can bomb the countries that think they're above us back to the stone age? :P

You can't anymore. You are poorer than 26 of them.

Sure we can. :P

kabouter
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Jul 2013, 5:23 pm

TallyMan wrote:
Mike1 wrote:

Yea TallyMan, that went down like the proverbial lead balloon.

The problem with the military in the US is that it is probably the biggest employer in the USA and because of the equipment it buys and research it funds supports even more employment.

The military is used to try to solve political problems, and strangely enough it just doesn't work.

The problem of joining the military, is that you are trained to kill, and promise to kill on their command. This is something that is never mentioned in their ads.

I think that the veterans on the vietnam war were badly treated on their return home. The politicians both here and in the USA seemed more concerned about winning the unwinnable war than the welfare of their soldiers and how unpopular the war had become.

Which brings us back to politicians, remember:
- No matter who you vote for, a politician always gets in.
- Vote 1 Guy Fawkes, the only person to enter parliament with honest intentions.

Cheers

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2013, 8:22 pm

I'm just gonna very briefly touch on a few of these.

kabouter wrote:
The military is used to try to solve political problems, and strangely enough it just doesn't work.

After diplomacy fails, and it will sometimes fail, then what? You guessed it; FORCE

Quote:
The problem of joining the military, is that you are trained to kill, and promise to kill on their command. This is something that is never mentioned in their ads.

Behind the guys that go out and clash with the enemy is a very long and complex support structure of technical personnel. They get some defensive/offensive training but their primary role is to take care of the details behind the scenes, not actual killing.