Page 5 of 15 [ 226 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 15  Next

If guns were made illegal everywhere.
The world would be more safe, because there would be less gun crime. 23%  23%  [ 16 ]
The world would be less safe, because only criminals would have them and the law abiding would have no protection. 39%  39%  [ 28 ]
It would make no difference. 20%  20%  [ 14 ]
I'm really not sure how it would be. 18%  18%  [ 13 ]
Total votes : 71

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2012, 1:57 am

The_Walrus wrote:
Guillotines aren't designed to kill, they are designed to make a sharp object fall as quickly as possible.

Gas chambers aren't designed to kill, they are designed to release toxic airbourne substances or vapours into an airtight container.

Electric chairs aren't designed to kill, they are designed to pass a high-voltage current through something.

Clearly you're not an application engineer, or likely any sort of engineer. The things I mentioned were designed specifically for executions, i.e. killing people and only killing people, where as guns were designed as weapons, which means killing is only one of several possible outcomes of their usage. Even a gun designed specifically for battlefield use is not "designed to kill", it's designed to hold up to the rigors of combat use while delivering mechanical accuracy and being reasonably easy to use, its killing power is derived from the ammunition it fires, which is a whole different story. Contrary to common opinion, the object of war is not to kill the other guys but to force a given target, usually a country, to capitulate to demands, it's just that current technology makes death sort of an inevitable part of the exercise. The same principle applies to self defense, the object is not to kill your attacker but to stop him, guns just happen to accomplish that by delivering physical trauma likely to cause permanent injury or death; other weapons can be less injurious to the attacker but are also less reliably effective.

- Rick Sanchez

enrico_dandolo
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2012, 2:01 am

Burzum wrote:
enrico_dandolo wrote:
I think you missed his point.

I don't think so. He claimed guns are designed to kill things, which is patently false as one can buy a gun and take up sport shooting without the intention of ever pointing it at a living thing. I used bows as an analogy - bows, like guns, can be used as effective killing devices, but if you ever tried to hunt with a bow set up for target shooting you would fail comically. They aren't designed solely for killing.

He may have wanted to correct to "most guns are made for killing", because indeed, some guns are specifically made not to kill. You can do many things for sport, including shooting, archery and fencing. These are all sports and are harmless as such, but they are based on actual military weapons (or rather past ones). Range shooting would not exist if live, made-to-kill guns didn't, just like modern fencing and competitive archery wouldn't be sports if there had never been military version. After all, this is how these sports came to be: peacetime practice for soldiers. War went its own way, so did the army; otherwise we would have target close air support as a sport too!

It could be compared with practicing musical instruments: you can play an electric guitar without an amp to avoid waking your neighbours, and you may even decide never to use one because you don't need to be listened tor, but you would not learn those skills if there weren't amplifiers (or accoustic guitars). If an electric guitar were to appear in a civilisation without amplifiers, it would not be used as an instrument at all because it makes little sound. Like all analogies, it has failures, but still.

Dox47 wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
Guillotines aren't designed to kill, they are designed to make a sharp object fall as quickly as possible.

Gas chambers aren't designed to kill, they are designed to release toxic airbourne substances or vapours into an airtight container.

Electric chairs aren't designed to kill, they are designed to pass a high-voltage current through something.

Clearly you're not an application engineer, or likely any sort of engineer. The things I mentioned were designed specifically for executions, i.e. killing people and only killing people, where as guns were designed as weapons, which means killing is only one of several possible outcomes of their usage. Even a gun designed specifically for battlefield use is not "designed to kill", it's designed to hold up to the rigors of combat use while delivering mechanical accuracy and being reasonably easy to use, its killing power is derived from the ammunition it fires, which is a whole different story. Contrary to common opinion, the object of war is not to kill the other guys but to force a given target, usually a country, to capitulate to demands, it's just that current technology makes death sort of an inevitable part of the exercise. The same principle applies to self defense, the object is not to kill your attacker but to stop him, guns just happen to accomplish that by delivering physical trauma likely to cause permanent injury or death; other weapons can be less injurious to the attacker but are also less reliably effective.

That is like saying that if my computer can play movies, it is not made for use as a workstation.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2012, 2:08 am

auntblabby wrote:
the real point that was missed by many here, is that there are crazy numbers of people being ventilated by guns, and that it is morally bankrupt to just say "that's life in the big city" and leave it at that.

Blabs, even if you threw out every murder committed by firearm and assumed no substitution, that criminals wouldn't switch to other weapons if guns were not available, our level of violence would still be very high comparatively speaking (IIRC 3X that of Japan). What we, the gun people, have been trying to get across is that violence is violence, the victim of an assault is usually not relieved to have been stabbed or bludgeoned rather than shot, and that focusing on the implement used rather than the systemic conditions which fuel the violence is foolish. End the drug war and you'll stop more violence than magically putting the gun genie back in the bottle ever would, foster economic growth in the stagnant areas that breed violence and you'd save even more lives. Focusing on guns to the exclusion of everything else feels like partisanship and culture war, and it causes people like me who are pretty socially liberal to vote more conservatively than we'd like to in order to both directly prevent gun control by defeating its proponents at the ballot box, and also send the message that it's politically inadvisable and will hurt the party that champions it. Look at it this way, as long as the Democratic party has gun control as a plank and the GOP doesn't, millions of people won't even consider voting Democrat, and is gun control really that important to you that you'd see the rest of your political agenda sink behind it?

- Rick Sanchez

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2012, 2:14 am

enrico_dandolo wrote:
That is like saying that if my computer can play movies, it is not made for use as a workstation.

Which one was your computer designed to do? Sure a media-center machine could be used as a workstation and vise-versa, but that wouldn't be what it was created for and would be less efficient than using it for its intended purpose. I'm rebutting the oft-made and incorrect statement that guns were "designed for killing"; I'm not saying that they aren't weapons or that they can't be used to kill, just that to say that killing is their specific or only purpose is false. Like the media station being used for work, the .22 short target pistol could be used as a weapon, but it wouldn't be what it was designed for (the crux of the argument), and it wouldn't make a very good one.

- Rick Sanchez

enrico_dandolo
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2012, 3:30 am

Dox47 wrote:
enrico_dandolo wrote:

Which one was your computer designed to do? Sure a media-center machine could be used as a workstation and vise-versa, but that wouldn't be what it was created for and would be less efficient than using it for its intended purpose. I'm rebutting the oft-made and incorrect statement that guns were "designed for killing"; I'm not saying that they aren't weapons or that they can't be used to kill, just that to say that killing is their specific or only purpose is false. Like the media station being used for work, the .22 short target pistol could be used as a weapon, but it wouldn't be what it was designed for (the crux of the argument), and it wouldn't make a very good one.

My computer can do everything I want it to. It was designed to do several things.

To be accurate, I said that some guns were not designed for killing earlier in the same post. I was referring to the bit where you said that other things matters in the design of army weapons, actually. Because may concerns are taken into account into their making doesn't mean the ultimate intent is that they be used in such a way that any living target should be disabled. You can define everything as you like, and yes, it is true that "disabled" is not the same as "dead", but this is really a lot of technicalities without real value. For brevity's sake, the words: "Guns are made to kill" are basically true, even if it is a simplification -- like all categorical five word sentences.

If you don't intend to be convinced, I propose we agree to disagree right now. The last thing I wanted was to be dragged into a discussion about guns, but I can't get out of an argument until I stop being quoted.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

30 Jul 2012, 5:21 am

Raptor wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
Raptor wrote:

Quote:
…..then there are those who think guns are good despite the deaths they cause but think they should only be used if absolutely necessary. That quote was one guy on Omegle, but I've seen similar expressions from others.

They don’t cause deaths any more than forks and spoons cause obesity. They are tools, not living breathing entities. If a drunk driver runs over someone do you blame the car or the drunk driver?

Reductio ad absurdium.

Guns are weapons, not tools like forks or spoons or cars (or alligators). They are designed to kill.

How did gators get into this? A gator acts on it's own. You're grasping at straws now.
Guns are acted upon, they do not act on their own or take control of people's minds.
It could not be any simpler.

Which, if any, of these would you say "causes deaths"?

Volcanoes
Fires
Floods
Tropical storms
HIV
Car bombs

Shau
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2012, 7:08 am

I'd like to bring a unique perspective to this discussion, perhaps. I grew up in the states until I was 17, and I've lived in New Zealand since.

There's a lot more guns in the US than there are here in NZ. I don't really understand why, but it's how it is. Gun-related crime in this country is practically unheard of. I've never known anyone that's had a gun pulled on them in this country, and it seems like each and every time it DOES happen it makes big news, cause it's that uncommon. But, I've also gone hunting several times in this country with shotties, rifles, and pistols. The guys who need the guns don't seem to have major problems getting them, yet you also don't have psychos wasting dozens of people in our theatres guns-blazing either.

But, growing up in my hometown of Lawton, Oklahoma, I can still remember listening to that police shootout that was occuring somewhere nearby, and I remember the "popopopopop" of a modified TEC-9 going off against the cops' glocks. I've had a gun PERSONALLY pulled on me, and I wasn't the only one who's had that privilege. In the US, I have memories of lots of gun, and lots of gun-related s**t going down. In NZ, I have memories of few guns, and practically zero gun-related crime.

Somehow, getting mugged by some criminal with a gun, or getting shot up in a theatre by some psycho, seems to be a largely AMERICAN problem. Here in New Zealand, the gun count is low, the people that want them for hunting and stuff still have them, and the criminals just can't seem to get a hold of any.

What is it, exactly, that we in New Zealand are doing so much better than the US, to keep the guns where they belong without outlawing them? Personally, I've come to believe that American culture is simply unable to handle the responsibility of having guns as part of their society, at least in modern times. Give guns to Americans? You've got criminals using them to mug and shoot up theatres. Give guns to some Kiwis? And we have ourselves a nice hunt and a good feed from the meat later.

aSKperger
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jul 2012, 8:24 am

Shau - no no we don't want to hear it, it is our sacred right to have as many guns as we need for feeding our paranoia and exterminate theaters, schools or just someone on the street :wink:

Quote:
The long and short of it is that we don't know. It's one of those risks in life that we take when we get out of bed to face the day.
Prepare yourself accordingly for that risk as well as all the others and soldier on.

Well, I suppose you do not sit in airplane with homemade pilot, do you? Do you go to surgery thinking "what the hell, maybe he is not a surgeon, maybe he just loves blood, but it is risk I warmly accept because... " because what?! If there are psychos with guns on the street, the right action is to wipe them out, lock them somewhere and do not give them any guns at all. And not saying "that's fine, I have guns too, I am prepared". That's BS.

Quote:
I don't think so. He claimed guns are designed to kill things, which is patently false as one can buy a gun and take up sport shooting without the intention of ever pointing it at a living thing. I used bows as an analogy - bows, like guns, can be used as effective killing devices, but if you ever tried to hunt with a bow set up for target shooting you would fail comically. They aren't designed solely for killing.

We are talking about killing tools here, you should disscuss grany's silver cutlery elsewhere

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2012, 10:05 am

Shau wrote:
......What is it, exactly, that we in New Zealand are doing so much better than the US, to keep the guns where they belong without outlawing them? Personally, I've come to believe that American culture is simply unable to handle the responsibility of having guns as part of their society, at least in modern times. Give guns to Americans? You've got criminals using them to mug and shoot up theatres. Give guns to some Kiwis? And we have ourselves a nice hunt and a good feed from the meat later.

What you just said reinforces the point I've made in several recent posts (different threads) about not just poorly understood cultural aspects of violent crime in America, but also that violent crime is a symptom of deeper-rooted problems in society that taking guns away doesn't help.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

Shau
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2012, 12:09 pm

John_Browning wrote:
What you just said reinforces the point I've made in several recent posts (different threads) about not just poorly understood cultural aspects of violent crime in America, but also that violent crime is a symptom of deeper-rooted problems in society that taking guns away doesn't help.

To be fair, I've always believed that gun rights advocates do have one very solid argument:

You strip away all the guns from the citizens, and in what capacity would they ever be able to resist their government, should it become corrupt and in need of being resisted or even overthrown? We gonna rely on the UN to come save the day? Look what that's done for the Syrians so far.

That's the one argument I lack a proper retort to. I get the distinct impression that if the US government pissed off enough citizens to start an armed rebellion, the govt would have a really major problem on its hands I reckon, cause that's a lot of citizens with a LOT of guns and ammo. Here in NZ? The only thing protecting us is the fact that our military is pretty pathetic to start with. Our airforce has like 3 craft.

Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2012, 12:20 pm

[quote="Dox47weapons if guns were not available, our level of violence would still be very high comparatively speaking (IIRC 3X that of Japan). What we, the gun people, have been trying to get across is that violence is violence, the victim of an assault is usually not relieved to have been stabbed or bludgeoned rather than shot, and that focusing on the implement used rather than the systemic conditions which fuel the violence is foolish. [/quote]

Yse and no. People will still try to kill each other, but there is a problem with how easy and sucessful a particular method is. I bet the murder rate would be more like Iraq if explosive laws were more lax. I have no with people shooting in a range but what is the difference between carrying a loaded gun in the public and driving a truckload of explosive or nerve gas in a city center?

Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2012, 12:24 pm

Shau wrote:
John_Browning wrote:

To be fair, I've always believed that gun rights advocates do have one very solid argument:

You strip away all the guns from the citizens, and in what capacity would they ever be able to resist their government, should it become corrupt and in need of being resisted or even overthrown? We gonna rely on the UN to come save the day? Look what that's done for the Syrians so far.

That's the one argument I lack a proper retort to. I get the distinct impression that if the US government pissed off enough citizens to start an armed rebellion, the govt would have a really major problem on its hands I reckon, cause that's a lot of citizens with a LOT of guns and ammo. Here in NZ? The only thing protecting us is the fact that our military is pretty pathetic to start with. Our airforce has like 3 craft.

Bombs are more efficient to resist the government. Iraq and Afagan prove this.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2012, 4:13 pm

Someone else posted this link in the News forum, but I think it offers an interesting glimpse of the future futility of gun regulations:

Popular Science wrote:
A Working Assault Rifle Made With a 3-D Printer

Get ready. It's now possible to print weapons at home.

An amateur gunsmith, operating under the handle of "HaveBlue" (incidentally, "Have Blue" is the codename that was used for the prototype stealth fighter that became the Lockheed F-117), announced recently in online forums that he had successfully printed a serviceable .22 caliber pistol.

Despite predictions of disaster, the pistol worked. It successfully fired 200 rounds in testing.

HaveBlue then decided to push the limits of what was possible and use his printer to make an AR-15 rifle. To do this, he downloaded plans for an AR-15 receiver in the Solidworks file format from a site called CNCGunsmith.com. After some small modifications to the design, he fed about $30 of ABS plastic feedstock into his late-model Stratasys printer. The result was a functional AR-15 rifle. Early testing shows that it works, although it still has some minor feed and extraction problems to be worked out.

HaveBlue has also been testing the "marketplace" for 3-D printing weapons. To do this he asked Thingiverse, the 3-D design sharing site run by Makerbot Industries, whether it was permissible to post weapons designs or not. According to HaveBlue, Makerbot's senior leadership decided to not disallow, but to discourage, the posting of weapons designs. Haveblue then posted a design for an AR-15 part on Thingiverse, but in the intensive legal discussion that followed Haveblue's posting, Thingiverse decided to ban weapons designs outright. However, since Haveblue's design is still on the site, it's unclear whether Thingiverse is enforcing a ban or not.

While there are still some details to sort out, it's pretty clear that making weapons at home using 3-D printers from commonly available materials is going to become much more commonplace in the near future. In fact, as 3-D printing technology matures, materials feedstock improves, and designs for weapons proliferate, we might soon see the day when nearly everyone will be able to print the weapons of their choice in the numbers they desire, all within the privacy of their own homes.

http://www.popsci.com/technology/articl ... -d-printer

- Rick Sanchez

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2012, 4:34 pm

01001011 wrote:
Bombs are more efficient to resist the government. Iraq and Afagan prove this.

High explosive is the most effective means, yes. It's illegal in most cases, though, barring commercial uses.

That's one thing I never got: why people don't argue that the 2nd Amendment doesn't apply to explosives and explosive based weapons. Firearms are fairly useless in resisting an oppressive government or fighting a war (2nd Amendment seems to be based on war rather than target shooting).

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2012, 5:29 pm

aSKperger wrote:

Quote:
If there are psychos with guns on the street, the right action is to wipe them out, lock them somewhere and do not give them any guns at all.

How do you find/identify them? Do they wear signs that say Murderer Trainee, Active Shooter Candidate, Undergraduate Rapist?
Wipe them out how? Sounds like you want to suspend due process based on suspicion alone and have them all exterminated.
Who’s giving them guns? What’s with this delusion you people have that guns are placed in the hands of criminals, or they’re handed out like candy, or anyone can run into any gun shop and buy a machine-gun?
Maybe you need to learn the law before proposing new ones.

Quote:
And not saying "that's fine, I have guns too, I am prepared". That's BS.

Okay, so let’s all stop wearing our seatbelts and disable the airbags since preparation is “BS” and seatbelts and airbags don’t always save the day in an accident.
That’s the same kind of logic.

LennytheWicked
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2012, 6:25 pm

Well, we'd have different types of crime. Like with the prohibition, there would become a black market for guns, but that would mostly be contained to the people connected with the black market since guns tend not to be an addiction or as popular of a social thing. And many of the people who buy guns live in more rural areas, whereas during the prohibition bootlegging was more common in large cities.

However, I see absolutely no reason why automatic weapons should be available for civilian use. You don't need a freaking machine gun for self-defense or hunting, which are the only reasons anyone should ever use their gun.