Is race real or is it just a human invention?

Page 5 of 13 [ 204 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next

15 Aug 2012, 12:46 am

Not at all, Kraichgauer. Funny enough, he and his people were actually the very first Japanese americans. The Ainu are descended from the Jomon, the first people to inhabit the island of Japan. While the Ainu are genetically and linguistically distinct from the Yayoi people(the modern japanese), the are still very much a Mongoloid people.

Besides the khoisan people, the Basques of europe are another example of a people who are so genetically and linguistically isolated that it's very unclear where they fit in according to the 3 race theory. They look caucasoid, but they have genes which are absent from all other indo-european and semitic people.

I often wonder if there may very well have been other races of modern humans which are now extinct, or cease to exist as identifiable groups but may have left genetic fingerprints of their existence in isolated groups, like the basques, hazda, and hunzukuts.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2012, 1:00 am

AspieRogue wrote:
Not at all, Kraichgauer. Funny enough, he and his people were actually the very first Japanese americans. The Ainu are descended from the Jomon, the first people to inhabit the island of Japan. While the Ainu are genetically and linguistically distinct from the Yayoi people(the modern japanese), the are still very much a Mongoloid people.

Besides the khoisan people, the Basques of europe are another example of a people who are so genetically and linguistically isolated that it's very unclear where they fit in according to the 3 race theory. They look caucasoid, but they have genes which are absent from all other indo-european and semitic people.

I often wonder if there may very well have been other races of modern humans which are now extinct, or cease to exist as identifiable groups but may have left genetic fingerprints of their existence in isolated groups, like the basques, hazda, and hunzukuts.

From what I understand, the separateness of the Basque from other Europeans may in fact be overstated, as they belong to the R1b haplogroup. It used to be believed that Basques were Cro Magnon descendents, till it was demonstrated that R1b (the haplogroup Basque people belong to) only reached Europe by the Neolithic - making it impossible for them to be Ice Age European aboriginals. Cro Magnon descendents are more likely to be found among those within haplogroup I, which can be located in what had been the out of the way regions of the old world, such as the mountainous regions of the Balkans, the Germanic northwest, and western Ireland. And despite having an Ice Age origin, all of these populations have been thoroughly Indo-Europeanized, and intermixed with the R1b and R1a haplogroups.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2012, 1:49 am

AspieRogue wrote:
But with regard to the melanesians and the "negroid" peoples, there is a political benefit to this as black skinned people in Asia, Australia, and the pacific face considerable discrimination; especially in Southern India. Also, not only do Papuans the Andamenese look like black africans, they have astoundingly similar cultures.

Sorry, what?
they have 'astoundingly similar culture to black African culture'?
Are you really that uneducated?

You remind me of the people who claim that 'native Americans' worship a Great Spirit, or 'native Americans' ride horses and wear eagle feathers in their hair.

15 Aug 2012, 2:00 am

LKL wrote:
AspieRogue wrote:
But with regard to the melanesians and the "negroid" peoples, there is a political benefit to this as black skinned people in Asia, Australia, and the pacific face considerable discrimination; especially in Southern India. Also, not only do Papuans the Andamenese look like black africans, they have astoundingly similar cultures.

Sorry, what?

You remind me of the people who claim that 'native Americans' worship a Great Spirit, or 'native Americans' ride horses and wear eagle feathers in their hair.

The Navajo people are the ones who worship the 'Great Spirit'. And horses were introduced by Europeans as no species of wild horse can be found in the Americas.So knock it off with the condescension.

WTF do you know about the Papuans anyway? Ever heard of Vudu? The papuans have something extremely similar to voodoo which they call "puri puri". Not to mention the fact that their tribal art looks very much west african art.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2012, 2:16 am

AspieRogue wrote:
LKL wrote:
AspieRogue wrote:

Sorry, what?

The Navajo people are the ones who worship the 'Great Spirit'. And horses were introduced by Europeans as no species of wild horse can be found in the Americas.So knock it off with the condescension.

WTF do you know about the Papuans anyway? Ever heard of Vudu? The papuans have something extremely similar to voodoo which they call "puri puri". Not to mention the fact that their tribal art looks very much west african art.

I know squat about the Papuans, but I do know that there isn't a single 'black African' culture any more than there is a single 'native American' culture. There are thousands of ethnic groups in Africa. Do you mean that the Papuans are like the Masai, who tend to dress in red fabric and beads, heard cattle, and hunt lions? Do you mean that Papuans are like the Tuareg, who are nomads and whose men dress in blue and wear dark veils throughout their adult lives? Do you mean that Papuans are like the Wodaabe, where the men spend hours painting themselves with makeup and have male beauty contests every year?

Shau
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2012, 2:21 am

Some of those Wodaabe guys look pretty damn great, I gotta say.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2012, 2:26 am

Shau wrote:
Some of those Wodaabe guys look pretty damn great, I gotta say.

No kidding :wink:
They look a little manic during the actual competition, but when they're just being normal people, some of them are gorgeous. Of course, that goes for pretty much any culture anywhere.

Last edited by LKL on 15 Aug 2012, 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

15 Aug 2012, 2:29 am

LKL wrote:
AspieRogue wrote:
LKL wrote:
AspieRogue wrote:

Sorry, what?

I know squat about the Papuans, but I do know that there isn't a single 'black African' culture any more than there is a single 'native American' culture. There are thousands of ethnic groups in Africa. Do you mean that the Papuans are like the Masai, who tend to dress in red fabric and beads, heard cattle, and hunt lions? Do you mean that Papuans are like the Tuareg, who are nomads and whose men dress in blue and wear dark veils throughout their adult lives? Do you mean that Papuans are like the Wodaabe, where the men spend hours painting themselves with makeup and have male beauty contests every year?

There are tribes in Papua, notably the Korowai and Asmat, who have strikingly similar customs to west african tribes in Benin and the Congo. None of the african tribes you mentioned live in climes that are anything like Papua(which has a climate almost identical to tropical west africa but with different wildlife). The Tuareg and Wodaabe are both desert tribes and the Maasai live out on the plains of Kenya.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2012, 2:33 am

AspieRogue wrote:
LKL wrote:
AspieRogue wrote:
LKL wrote:
AspieRogue wrote:

Sorry, what?

There are tribes in Papua, notably the Korowai and Asmat, who have strikingly similar customs to west african tribes in Benin and the Congo. None of the african tribes you mentioned live in climes that are anything like Papua(which has a climate almost identical to tropical west africa but with different wildlife). The Tuareg and Wodaabe are both desert tribes and the Maasai live out on the plains of Kenya.

Ok, saying that the cultures of the Korowai and Asmat are something like the cultures of tribes in Benin and the Congo is a much more valid statement than saying that they're like "black Africans." However, without some specifics it's pretty tempting to think that any similarities between one rain forest culture and another are merely examples of convergent cultural evolution.

JakobVirgil
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2012, 6:30 am

AspieRogue wrote:
JakobVirgil wrote:
AspieRogue wrote:
I will say one thing though: The 3 race theory seems to work very well when it comes to classifying people based on their appearance. So-called "negroid" peoples share common physical traits: very dark skin, flat noses, full lips, rounded faces, and dolichocephaly. Most have nappy hair but some have wavy hair. And interestingly enough, some have epicanthic folds(in africa) whereas some are blond(melanesia). Caucasoid people have varying skintone but they are mesencephalic, have variable eye and hair color, considerably variation in hair texture(from nappy to straight)and in the size and shape of the nose. Mongoloids are brachycephalic and have epicanthic folds. There is variation in skintone and nasal size(FYI, native americans have been shown to be direct descendents of east asians).

only because those traits are cherry-picked (not by you but by folks now dead.)
if one choose size of the Supraorbital ridge, length of the femur and degree of steatopygia he would get different divisions. Also head ratios have been shown to be almost completely plastic so not really useful in making distinctions.

What do you see as the benefits of the 3 race theory?

(1)What benefits do you see to racially distinguishing native americans from east asians? You do realize that the genetic relationship between these 2 groups has been firmly established, do you not? I remember when odinists in my home state of WA tried to claim Kennewick man as a nordic aryan, when in fact he had no relationship to white europeans whatsoever.

(2)But with regard to the melanesians and the "negroid" peoples, there is a political benefit to this as black skinned people in Asia, Australia, and the pacific face considerable discrimination; especially in Southern India. Also, not only do Papuans the Andamenese look like black africans, they have astoundingly similar cultures.

(1) What benefit do you get making sh!t up and pretending I said it?
Where did I say that amerinds are not descended from closely related to Asians?
I hope you don't take this as an ad hom but boy you are stupid.
(2) Being black has is only a political benefit in the minds of conspiracy theorists and racists.

Their hungry thirsty roots??

http://jakobvirgil.blogspot.com/

15 Aug 2012, 6:44 am

JakobVirgin wrote:

(1) What benefit do you get making sh!t up and pretending I said it?
Where did I say that amerinds are not descended from closely related to Asians?
I hope you don't take this as an ad hom but boy you are stupid.

No U!

JakobVirgin wrote:

(2) Being black has is only a political benefit in the minds of conspiracy theorists and racists.

:lol:

Being black is what some people ARE and have to put with being treated like s**t for it. Clearly you got this idea from your fellow ret*ds on the Short Bus.

Last edited by AspieRogue on 15 Aug 2012, 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

JakobVirgil
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2012, 6:47 am

wogaboo wrote:
AspieRogue wrote:
I will say one thing though: The 3 race theory seems to work very well when it comes to classifying people based on their appearance. So-called "negroid" peoples share common physical traits: very dark skin, flat noses, full lips, rounded faces, and dolichocephaly.

Correct and the question is, if so called negroids are all so physically similar, why are they so genetically dissimilar? That doesn't make sense since physical traits are largely coded by genes.

The reason is they are probably NOT genetically dissimilar. They are only dissimilar in junk DNA, because junk DNA by definition is uninfluenced by natural selection, and as a result junk DNA mutates at a predictable rate allowing scientists to measure how old populations are and how long ago they diverged.

So although the genetic distance trees you guys read correctly document the fact that Melanesians have left Africa say 60,000 years ago, it's probably incorrect to say they are genetically distant from Africans. They are genetically distant only in the subset of DNA scientists use to clock divergence times but this DNA by definition does not code for anything that matters because if it did, it would be influenced by natural selection(instead of just time) and thus serve as unreliable molecular clock.

If we ignored the junk DNA and created a genetic distance tree based on functional DNA, the simple 3 race model would probably be supported. However such a tree would tell us little about when races split apart and the history of human migrations. For that we need junk DNA

Wow thanks, for all the cites and insights.
So what you are saying is that in your mind experiment if people look blackish then they are Probably are African? Lets not read papers or do science lets just assume what Probably happened and because it takes to much thinking. Lets just say the Races we got work real good?

You have totally convinced me of your view.
If we ignore bone structure actually shapes of features the fact that all DNA is functional etc.
ignore that capoids and Australoids have anatomical differences that can been seen with eyeballs, Forget India the pacific islands and southeast asia then your lazy theory is exactly right.

There are only 3 races my eyes have been opened.
Thanks for sharing it. :lol:

15 Aug 2012, 6:59 am

JakobVirgil wrote:
So what you are saying is that in your mind experiment if people look blackish then they are Probably are African? Lets not read papers or do science lets just assume what Probably happened and because it takes to much thinking. Lets just say the Races we got work real good?

If we ignore bone structure actually shapes of features the fact that all DNA is functional etc.
ignore that capoids and Australoids have anatomical differences that can been seen with eyeballs, Forget India the pacific islands and southeast asia then your lazy theory is exactly right.

There is no "Australoid" race, you dumb white b1tch. They australian aborigines are melanesians. The supraorbital ridges among melanesians, along with their apparent genetic proximity to non-black SE asians, are the result of interbreeding with Denisova Hominids(a subspecies closely related to Neanderthals). I've already addressed the Khoisan people anyway.

JakobVirgil
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2012, 7:11 am

AspieRogue wrote:
JakobVirgil wrote:

There is no "Australoid" race, you dumb white b1tch. They australian aborigines are melanesians. The supraorbital ridges among melanesians, along with their apparent genetic proximity to non-black SE asians, are the result of interbreeding with Denisova Hominids(a subspecies closely related to Neanderthals). I've already addressed the Khoisan people anyway.

No "Australoid" race what a macaroon.
Are you a sock puppet for the other guy?
Or are you arguments so weak in the conversation you where having with me you needed a change of venue?

Melanesians are from Melanesia right? Do you think that Australian aboriginals are from Melanesia?
Does Google not work from your house? look up Australoid and get back to us.
Maybe you could use a new account so we won't remember how dumb you were on this one.
or two?

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2012, 9:01 am

wogaboo wrote:
AspieRogue wrote:
I will say one thing though: The 3 race theory seems to work very well when it comes to classifying people based on their appearance. So-called "negroid" peoples share common physical traits: very dark skin, flat noses, full lips, rounded faces, and dolichocephaly.

Correct and the question is, if so called negroids are all so physically similar, why are they so genetically dissimilar? That doesn't make sense since physical traits are largely coded by genes.

The reason is they are probably NOT genetically dissimilar. They are only dissimilar in junk DNA, because junk DNA by definition is uninfluenced by natural selection, and as a result junk DNA mutates at a predictable rate allowing scientists to measure how old populations are and how long ago they diverged.

So although the genetic distance trees you guys read correctly document the fact that Melanesians have left Africa say 60,000 years ago, it's probably incorrect to say they are genetically distant from Africans. They are genetically distant only in the subset of DNA scientists use to clock divergence times but this DNA by definition does not code for anything that matters because if it did, it would be influenced by natural selection(instead of just time) and thus serve as unreliable molecular clock.

If we ignored the junk DNA and created a genetic distance tree based on functional DNA, the simple 3 race model would probably be supported. However such a tree would tell us little about when races split apart and the history of human migrations. For that we need junk DNA

junk dna is an outdated term from the genetic dark ages,

using it only shows that you do not know what is and isnt "junk"

the pop culture "junk" is dead, it simply doesnt chime with reality,

what is called "junk"(they usually never use that word, usualy they use non functional today)
is such a vanishingly small part of genetics that it in your context gives almost no meaning.

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

15 Aug 2012, 9:39 am

JakobVirgin wrote:
AspieRogue wrote:

No "Australoid" race what a macaroon.
Are you a sock puppet for the other guy?
Or are you arguments so weak in the conversation you where having with me you needed a change of venue?

Melanesians are from Melanesia right? Do you think that Australian aboriginals are from Melanesia?
Does Google not work from your house? look up Australoid and get back to us.

Australia and New Guinea were once part of a single landmass that separated do to rising sea levels. The ancestors of australians and papuans settled this land before they were divided by the Torres srait! So yeah, I'm aware of what "australoid" refers to but that term is quite passe' and your pathetic ad hominems aren't working.

Last edited by AspieRogue on 15 Aug 2012, 10:31 am, edited 2 times in total.