Page 5 of 37 [ 589 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 37  Next

Kjas
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2013, 1:24 am

Dantac wrote:
Until there is no brain stem it has no possibility of being considered alive but rather a collection of cells.

Past that however, its murder in my opinion.

Granted however, there may be exceptions to when an abortion would be acceptable. When the mother is in danger, certainty of horrible disease/crippling deformity of the fetus or rape/forced pregnancy of a minor (which basically qualifies of mother's life in danger).

If its none of the above then the woman who does not want the child has the perfectly legit option of giving the child up for adoption. This nonsense of 'its her body' ends when the brain stem forms. Its her body but not her life anymore.

Often they do the same procedure as abortion, after a woman has miscarried, especially if they think she will be at risk of haemorrhaging. It's still a standard D&C, however still classified as medical miscarriage rather than abortion. Also - if they know the woman will almost certainly miscarry anyway due to medical reasons, and it is probably to cause haemorrhaging, in that case, they will do the same procedure regardless, especially if they can obviously see all the signs point that way, it will be heavily recommended. In the first case, the baby will already be dead, in the second, it will be nearing it or with an 80% chance or more of it (in such a case they are likely to be extremely premature anyway and will still probably die even in the extreme situation that they managed to survive).

Essentially it's all the same procedure mecially speaking - still D&C, simply under different names depending on the state of both mother and baby and the circumstances.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2013, 2:57 pm

Dantac wrote:
If said transplant was possible and the male could carry it to term ('birth' would be impossible due to male pelvic bone anatomy so it'd be a c-section birth) you bet guys who dont want to see their children aborted would take the option. 9 months of inconvenience for the life of your child? Quite a deal.

I think men would opt for the foetus transplant, out of high-minded pro-life principles, and then quite a number of them, once pregnant, would think 'screw this, get it out of me!' Men haven't been conditioned to think having a zef inside them is their raison d'etre, so I think that a lot of them would change their mind once they had the actual experience of their bodies not belonging to them any more.

I really wish male anatomy would let you give birth, then women who have C-sections wouldn't get the same guilt-tripping and subtle accusations of going 'against nature' that they currently get.

Also, not wanting to be pregnant is not about inconvenience, it's about bodily autonomy.

I'll always go for plan B if I suspect my birth control won't be effective (due to sickness or missing a pill.) I'd also get an early chemical abortion if my period didn't come after a gap in the pills - so an abortion later than 7 months isn't likely to be needed. However I'm 'lucky' enough that I can take hormonal birth control (with all the 'yay' side effects and gender dysphoria that brings - I'm genderqueer and resent taking extra female hormones, but I also resent even having a body capable of pregnancy, somebody please just sterilise me.) Lots of women can't take hormonal birth control because of various medical reasons and condoms fail quite often (all the abortions I've known to be performed on acquaintances have been due to broken condoms) those women are going to find out their pregnant probably after you 7-week mark.

I've never been pregnant that far (I probably have never been pregnant but there's no way I can know for certain) but just the thought of being forced to carry a foetus I don't want makes me a bit depressed. If abortion is illegal, women will do self-destructive things as well as illegal foetus-destructive things.

I think they should alleviate some of this problem by letting more people get sterilised (not just people who've had x amount of children) and also working on an effective completely reversible male contraceptive with no sexual side-effects. I think doing the latter will finally start the second sexual revolution I've been agitating for.

Last edited by puddingmouse on 23 Jun 2013, 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

23 Jun 2013, 3:12 pm

[quote="AngelRho"][/quote]
I think the flaw in your argument is that a foetus is not a "human being" in any meaningful sense of the word. It is just a collection of cells inside a woman.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2013, 3:33 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Cremation of care. For those who are into that kind of thing.

Young girls could do with knowing a thing like that but nah, doubt it'll happen.

Sadder still - if they knew they were making blood sacrifices to pagan deities they could at least make a wish on the sacrifice. Can't even get that right when they don't know.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2013, 3:39 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
AngelRho wrote:

I think the flaw in your argument is that a foetus is not a "human being" in any meaningful sense of the word. It is just a collection of cells inside a woman.

I think the flaw in your argument is that a toddler is not a "human being" in any meaningful sense of the word. It is just a collection of cells outside a woman.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

23 Jun 2013, 4:20 pm

Two points:

1) It is very hard to tell at what point a Homo sapiens becomes a person, but we know it is after birth. This makes birth a safe cut off point in law.
2) I think the case for killing a very young human (younger than 18 months) is stronger than the case for killing an adult pig. I am against both, but most people are in favour of killing the pig and against killing the young human. I believe infanticide should be illegal because many conscious humans have very strong attachments to infants, but the mother should have the decision about whether she wishes to keep carrying a foetus. Given how traumatising an abortion is, I think any woman who is willing to go through with it must have a very good reason and should be allowed to.

I don't think an infant has an intrinsic right to life beyond that of a pig or dog, only an instrumental one. Certainly I wouldn't have minded being killed before being 18 months old, but my parents (and family and family friends) would have been more upset than if the family cat had died.

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2013, 4:57 pm

I think the whole debate about how many cells constitute a person is irrelevant.

For me, the main problem with outlawing abortion is that the government would essentially enslave women for 9 months and reduce them to child-breeding factories. Childbirth is also extremely painful and sometimes dangerous. People should only go through that of their own free will.

Here's a nice map of abortion laws from wikipedia:

I know I sound like an elitist when I say this, but those orange countries aren't the most enlightened ones. That is where the True Believers live. People who actually believe the pope is a really big deal in the 21st century, and our non-pork eating friends.
Somehow half the world forgot to notice the sexual revolution half a century ago.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2013, 6:29 pm

AngelRho wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
AngelRho wrote:

I think the flaw in your argument is that a toddler is not a "human being" in any meaningful sense of the word. It is just a collection of cells outside a woman.

That whole 'inside' vs. 'outside' part is pretty important.

seaturtleisland
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2013, 6:39 pm

AngelRho wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
Dantac wrote:
a living, sentient being that is growing. There is life there. Its not about consciousness,

Contradiction? Sentience requires consciousness.

AngelRho wrote:
seaturtleisland wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
seaturtleisland wrote:
mrwhite23 wrote:
I am not a religious person but I do believe Abortion is murder

Is it murder to scrape your knee?

What does that have to do with anything?

When you scrape your knee you kill numerous skin cells.

So what? Make your point, please.

I would have thought that obvious.

An embryo is a collection of cells comparable to the collection of cells that die when you scrape your knee. Why should killing that collection of cells be "murder", but this collection of cells isn't?

Simple. One means killing a collection that is a PART of a human being and not the whole. The other means killing a WHOLE human being, not just part.

Incidentally, there are issues concerning the scraping of knees. If, say, you're sending a text message, trip, and fall on your own driveway and scrape your knee, you'll probably just go on with life without a second thought at best. At worst you'll clean the wound, apply anti-bacterial ointment, and bandage it.

Now, say you're at your workplace and trip over a tool or other piece of hardware, and scrape your knee on a bare concrete floor, you can now sue for liability. Generally speaking, there's workman's comp and liability insurance, etc., that will keep emergency room costs and so forth from ever making it to a courtroom. Nevertheless, you have certain rights that come from negligence in the workplace. As another example, parents are responsible for all kids on their property, not just their own. I'm "borrowing" property for a vegetable garden and it's not out of the ordinary for my kids to play on the plot past the garden. If there was, say, a bear trap out there and one of my kids lost a leg from getting caught in it AND my neighbor didn't tell us, we could sue him for personal injury and negligence. Just like if one of our kids was playing on someone's trampoline, fell, and ONLY scraped a knee, we could still hold that parent responsible for emergency room bills and so forth. Not only THAT, but if the wound got infected resulting in an amputation, we'd be within our rights to hold the other parent responsible for that as well.

What I'm getting at is this: A scraped knee isn't JUST a scraped knee in the eyes of biology or the law. If I trip and fall down on my own gravel driveway, scrape my knee, develop an infection, and get my leg amputated, I can't hold anyone responsible but myself. Serves me right for not being more careful. If someone else causes me an injury, whether trying to start a fight or negligence, it's no longer JUST a scraped knee, and that isn't something we can just let go.

Come to think of it, scraped knees have more recourse under the law than the unborn.

Now, let's change that and make it about killing a person. If someone invades my home at night, fails to identify themselves, and fails to clearly make any good intentions, I have every right to shoot first and ask questions later. If I decide to kill myself, that's MY problem. If I'm out hunting, fire a gun without identifying the target, and accidentally kill another hunter, then I'm guilty of manslaughter. If I break into someone's house with the intention of stealing their stuff and I kill the occupant, or if kill someone for any other reason than self-defense or defending someone in danger, I'm guilty of murder. Manslaughter isn't always prosecutable or punishable like murder, but it has to be dealt with in some way. Premeditated murder demands a higher degree of justice. The difference between that and scraping a knee is a PERSON dies while the one responsible for said person's death is held accountable. One kind of injury a person can usually bounce back from. The other a person cannot.

Any "collection" of cells that constitutes an entire human life form and not part must be dealt with as such. Destroying an entire human being, whether that human being is a single cell or a fully grown adult is either manslaughter or murder. Any "collection" of cells that constitutes only part of a human life is dealt with differently because personal injury is NOT THE SAME as death.

I think it's sad that a scraped knee has more rights than an unborn child.

I can't disagree with you when you make the distinction between injury caused by the person being injured and injury caused by someone else.

I can point out that you're assuming a fetus is a collection of cells that constitutes a human being. Where is that coming from? What is necessary for something to be considered human and who decides that? Obviously it needs to be alive and a fetus is alive. Does it have to be capable of conscious thought and self-reflection in order to be considered human? Does it have to react to it's environment? A fetus reacts to it's environment but only once it's developed past a certain point. It doesn't even have a brain at first.

I don't even know what's necessary for something to be considered human but you haven't even said what it is? How do you know that a fetus is human? How do you know when it becomes human? You're just saying it's human but you're not saying what makes it human.

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2013, 6:59 pm

LKL wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
AngelRho wrote:

The inside vs. outside thing is absurd and shouldn't be used as an argument unless you're morally consistent. Say a mad scientist, for experimentation sake, shoved your baby back into your body somehow and the only way for it to survive is for you to wait out a few months and let it eventually get out of the body. Say it's not so painful that it exceeds the normal pain of pregnancy. Say also that you can safely kill the baby without risk to yourself by drinking/consuming something that kills it and disintegrates it. In this case, would you consider killing the baby to be moral because it's inside your body and you don't want it there?

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2013, 10:03 pm

MCalavera wrote:
LKL wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
AngelRho wrote:

The inside vs. outside thing is absurd and shouldn't be used as an argument unless you're morally consistent. Say a mad scientist, for experimentation sake, shoved your baby back into your body somehow and the only way for it to survive is for you to wait out a few months and let it eventually get out of the body. Say it's not so painful that it exceeds the normal pain of pregnancy. Say also that you can safely kill the baby without risk to yourself by drinking/consuming something that kills it and disintegrates it. In this case, would you consider killing the baby to be moral because it's inside your body and you don't want it there?

Not only moral, but legal; no person has the right to use another person's body without their permission. Attempting to do so justifies homicide in every state.

Shatbat
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2013, 10:15 pm

^ I'd assume if that hipothetical person wanted the baby she'd go through basically the same again (from your description of it, everything would be just like a normal pregnancy) and if she didn't want it then she'd have aborted during the first pregnancy anyway, so the situation you're postulating wouldn't happen in the first place.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2013, 10:27 pm

seaturtleisland wrote:
I can't disagree with you when you make the distinction between injury caused by the person being injured and injury caused by someone else.

I can point out that you're assuming a fetus is a collection of cells that constitutes a human being. Where is that coming from? What is necessary for something to be considered human and who decides that?

My main objection is the whole "collection of cells" argument in favor of abortion. The argument that "it's just a scraped knee" is WRONG because a scraped knee is not JUST a scraped knee. I'm not going off on another diatribe about it, but I think you get my point. Since I debunked the "scraped knee" argument, I've also debunked the "collection of cells" argument and even pointed out the inequitable distribution of justice between a scraped knee and an entire human being.

seaturtleisland wrote:
Obviously it needs to be alive and a fetus is alive.

It does, and it is. And the same can be said of a blastocyst.

One important thing to note, because this will inevitably come up in discussion: Life doesn't start at conception. Life begins before conception because gametes are also living cells. The difference between sperm/ovum and a zygote is that sex cells are a part of a parent just as much as skin cells. They need no more concern than a scraped knee (haha). Sex cells die all the time just like skin cells die off, and we don't mourn them. There's no point. A zygote, on the other hand, is a unique individual formed from the union of sex cells. Apart from shared DNA, it has nothing to with its parents. It exists independently.

seaturtleisland wrote:
Does it have to be capable of conscious thought and self-reflection in order to be considered human?

I say no. People suffering from dementia wouldn't be considered human. Comatose people wouldn't be considered human. The elderly who become unresponsive due to senility, stroke, or otherwise some loss of brain function wouldn't be considered human. So that argument fails.

seaturtleisland wrote:
Does it have to react to it's environment?

No. Same reason. However, you kinda answered your own question:

seaturtleisland wrote:
A fetus reacts to it's environment but only once it's developed past a certain point. It doesn't even have a brain at first.

Even single cell organisms react to their environment. And we all start out as single cell organisms immediately after mating of sperm and egg and just before cell division sets in. Not only that, but all cells have internal systems in place that have the same functions as large organs, like respiration, excretion, chemical manufacturing, etc.

seaturtleisland wrote:
I don't even know what's necessary for something to be considered human but you haven't even said what it is?

See above. To clarify, it's a human if it is a separate, independent organism that came from human DNA. It doesn't matter if it's a single cell or a fully grown adult. And by "independent" I'm referring to a unique individual that exists apart from its parents. Embryos are one stage of development, and a new, growing human being in the womb should not carry the expectation that it is a permanent resident. I'm aware that new life is dependent on the mother for nourishment during the gestational stage, but like I said it is a unique individual and the arrangement is only temporary. Human life always knows what to do on its own. You don't have to tell a baby how to grow in the womb. It will normally do what it's supposed to do without any help.

seaturtleisland wrote:
How do you know that a fetus is human? How do you know when it becomes human? You're just saying it's human but you're not saying what makes it human.

It's human if it comes form a human. It's a dog if it comes from a dog. It's a monkey if it comes from a monkey. There's no "when" when it becomes something it never was...it always was what it is. The difference between an elderly person nearing the end of life and a blastocyst just getting started is a matter of its developmental stage. I don't feel the need to conform to some recondite definition of "human" to make my point.

Oh, and I'm also aware that the early stages of virtually all organic life forms share the same tadpole-y appearance. But no matter how much we all look alike, we are not all the same. Combined human sex cells yield humans, combined monkey cells yield monkeys, and so on. And if it is a human, it is deserving of full protection just as we expect for any other human being.

It's a human life, and no amount of arguing or discussion can change what it is. Sentience vs. sapience is utterly irrelevant (unless "sapience" is defined as having to do with the human species). Intelligence is irrelevant. Being able to feel pain is irrelevant. Either it is human or it isn't, and so far the only things humans carry in human wombs are more humans.

At any rate, one thing I highly dislike is playing silly word games. We can deconstruct words to meaninglessness all day long, but that isn't going to help me take counterarguments seriously. If words don't mean anything, we're not having a discussion right now, so it's irrelevant anyway. So suffice it to say that in my response to "What does it mean..." I like to keep my life simple. There's nothing esoteric or recondite about it. How do you make yogurt? From yogurt! How do you make a human? From a couple of humans!

I think we can safely agree that the new life formed at conception is human life.

The disagreement is about what to do with it. For that you move from biology to law. And for law to work, you need definitions.

I say it is a new human life once the sex cells unite.

However, whether we can LEGALLY do it justice depends on at which point we can start protecting it under the law. That's why I believe that for legal purposes life should be defined once a blastocyst has implanted in the uterine wall. The reason I say that is because, as we all know, implantation does not always occur, nor are we ever aware of exactly when that happens. It doesn't make sense to treat a non-viable blastocyst or embryo as a legally defined person since we have no immediate control over its life or death--it lived and died before we were even aware of it. Once implanted, however, it can sustain itself by taking nourishment from the mother's body. At that point, in my view, it can be granted legal protection.

I'm not 100% anti-abortion. I mean, I AM anti-abortion in the sense that I hate it. However, I recognize that there CAN be situations in which the mother has to choose between preserving her own life OR the life of the unborn. People already have the right to defend themselves against threats. In the case of rape, the ability to choose to have sex is taken away and thus the only way to get balanced justice is to at least allow the women the option of termination. However, if this happens, I think the man who raped her, leading to the abortion, should be put on trial for murder.

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2013, 11:08 pm

LKL wrote:
MCalavera wrote:
LKL wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
AngelRho wrote:

Not only moral, but legal; no person has the right to use another person's body without their permission. Attempting to do so justifies homicide in every state.

What homicide? Only the baby is being harmed if it gets killed.

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2013, 11:09 pm

Shatbat wrote:
^ I'd assume if that hipothetical person wanted the baby she'd go through basically the same again (from your description of it, everything would be just like a normal pregnancy) and if she didn't want it then she'd have aborted during the first pregnancy anyway, so the situation you're postulating wouldn't happen in the first place.

Maybe she doesn't want to go through it again.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2013, 5:51 pm

MCalavera wrote:
LKL wrote:
MCalavera wrote:
LKL wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
AngelRho wrote:

What homicide? Only the baby is being harmed if it gets killed.

= justifiable homicide, if the zef/baby is using the mother's body agaisnt her will.