Page 5 of 15 [ 240 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 15  Next

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2019, 10:15 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Have you had bad encounters in the men's room?

I'm sorry if you did.

To me, a toilet is a toilet. They make the same brand of toilets in both men's and women's washrooms. I would just go in, do my stuff, and get out.

I think women's bathrooms have more privacy, anyway----because they have stalls, rather than urinals.

But I get where you're coming from, too.

I've never really had bad experiences. If the place that I'm at doesn't have a unisex washroom, I'd rather hold it in until I get home if possible. I don't like how public places have the modern male and female washrooms back to back and than there's no unisex washroom that I can use. I'd rather use the men's room to be honest.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2019, 12:55 am

LoveNotHate wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
^My late sister was gay and was very masculine in appearance, even occasionally being mistaken for a man. I never once heard her say she felt uncomfortable in a woman's restroom or that anyone had a problem with her going in one. Could be she just never felt like talking about it, I don't know.

I certainly sympathize with some of the concerns brought up in this thread, but I'm just don't believe you can force societal changes through legislation. You can't demonize someone who is uncomfortable with allowing a biological male in their space in a locker room, and tell them they need to change their attitude. We're in new territory, here. It's going to take time to find our way.

It's so enjoyable though.

Planet Fitness revokes the membership of a woman (left) who complained about a "man in the women's locker room" (right).

For me, it's so wonderful to see people get bent out of shape about having the WRONG WORLDVIEW, I think, because as ASD person we're told all our lives that WE'RE WRONG.

"Man in women's locker room" Schadenfreude!

https://insider.foxnews.com/2015/03/10/ ... ocker-room

That's a pretty childish, vindictive attitude, but whatever.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

breaks0
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 May 2019, 9:54 pm

From Wiki: "Homosexual agenda (or gay agenda) is a term introduced by sectors of the Christian religious right (primarily in the United States) as a disparaging way to describe the advocacy of cultural acceptance and normalization of non-heterosexual orientations and relationships. The term refers to efforts to change government policies and laws on LGBT rights-related issues. Additionally, it has been used by social conservatives and others to describe alleged goals of LGBT rights activists, such as recruiting heterosexuals into what they term a "homosexual lifestyle".

So as others have said on this other boards why would you support civil political etc rights and freedoms for people w/developmental disabilities and not those of people of other genders? The US is already far far too heavily politically influenced by Christian right in many many areas of public life and I for one am sick of it. You wanna follow your bible? Go to church and leave the rest of us alone! I don't have time for social conservatives b/c they have throughout history and will continue to come after us as the developmentally disabled like they always have every community that doesn't comform to their puritanical archaic worldview. f**k that s**t!

I want equality for everyone and it'll be over my dead body before someone denies the Queer community to live their lives w/the same freedoms the rest of us have and are entitled to. One of you used the outrageous term I referenced above "the Queer Agenda". Now you know where it comes from and what bs it is should we block and oppose the ASD social agenda? You REALLY want us all to shoot ourself in the leg by doing that? Try putting your thinking cap on before spouting offensive drivel like that.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2019, 7:55 am

breaks0 wrote:
From Wiki: "Homosexual agenda (or gay agenda) is a term introduced by sectors of the Christian religious right (primarily in the United States) as a disparaging way to describe the advocacy of cultural acceptance and normalization of non-heterosexual orientations and relationships. The term refers to efforts to change government policies and laws on LGBT rights-related issues. Additionally, it has been used by social conservatives and others to describe alleged goals of LGBT rights activists, such as recruiting heterosexuals into what they term a "homosexual lifestyle".

So as others have said on this other boards why would you support civil political etc rights and freedoms for people w/developmental disabilities and not those of people of other genders? The US is already far far too heavily politically influenced by Christian right in many many areas of public life and I for one am sick of it. You wanna follow your bible? Go to church and leave the rest of us alone! I don't have time for social conservatives b/c they have throughout history and will continue to come after us as the developmentally disabled like they always have every community that doesn't comform to their puritanical archaic worldview. f**k that s**t!

I want equality for everyone and it'll be over my dead body before someone denies the Queer community to live their lives w/the same freedoms the rest of us have and are entitled to. One of you used the outrageous term I referenced above "the Queer Agenda". Now you know where it comes from and what bs it is should we block and oppose the ASD social agenda? You REALLY want us all to shoot ourself in the leg by doing that? Try putting your thinking cap on before spouting offensive drivel like that.

In my former church, they would call it the “homosexual agenda” or, most often, “gay propaganda.” Any positive depiction of people in the LGBT community in the media was, to them, an example of “gay propaganda.” Revolting! At one religious convention, they showed this movie depicting a member of the church being attacked for not buying a rubber bracelet with a rainbow flag on it from someone raising awareness for gay rights. This imaginary scenario was heralded as “religious persecution.” They just can’t see that they are doing far more fighting from a place of hate than the group they denounce. It’s sickening.

I have a similar reaction when I hear people speaking out against the idea of a man posing as someone who is gender nonconformist to use the women’s changing room to prey on women. The Duggars were coming out very strongly on this issue from their extreme right, Christian, conservative stance. It wasn’t too long after one occasion when they had the platform to push their hate “agenda” particularly far when it came out that Josh Duggar had molested some young women (mostly his sisters).

Fundamentalist Christians who speak out the loudest against the LGBT community have even more trouble protecting women and children than the group they are denouncing. Maybe they should fix their own problems first before trying to find problems where there aren’t any. It just makes them look ridiculous. My former religion also really struggles in this regard and has been referred to as a “pedophile paradise” and yet, in the past, they have accused gay men of being predatory.

Extreme right, Christian groups frequently speak of the “need” to nurture “strong men” because, apparently, any hint of feminine behavior is “weak.” That’s extremely troubling. I think the current push for diversity is empowering because it’s breaking barriers and unhealthy stereotypes which is allowing people to be their authentic selves.

I have lots of experience with having to live life in a little box, and it was far from pleasant. That’s not the type of world that I want to raise my son in.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2019, 8:54 am

VegetableMan wrote:
^My late sister was gay and was very masculine in appearance, even occasionally being mistaken for a man. I never once heard her say she felt uncomfortable in a woman's restroom or that anyone had a problem with her going in one. Could be she just never felt like talking about it, I don't know.

I certainly sympathize with some of the concerns brought up in this thread, but I'm just don't believe you can force societal changes through legislation. You can't demonize someone who is uncomfortable with allowing a biological male in their space in a locker room, and tell them they need to change their attitude. We're in new territory, here. It's going to take time to find our way.

I don't think you can legislate away people's attitudes either; however, sometimes, the government needs to consider whether they're going to come down on the side of people's rights, or their "comfort."

A lot of people weren't "comfortable" when segregation was ended, either.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2019, 9:52 am

XFilesGeek wrote:
I've been told I shouldn't be allowed in women's restrooms because I appear male.

The kicker is, I'm biologically female and do not identify as a man. Why should I be forced to hold it in just because some random bimbo is "uncomfortable" with me in the bathroom?

That's f****d up dude , I'd be inclined to get my genitals out to shut down that kind of crap. :twisted:

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2019, 10:07 am

Yep. That's ridiculous. You're a woman. You shouldn't have to hold it in because of some bimbo.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2019, 11:14 am

^ Thanks.

The full story is that I was washing my hands in the restroom when a woman came up to me and claimed I was in the wrong bathroom, and that I was scaring her daughter.

I replied that I was female, and I proceeded to show her my driver's license as proof.

She huffed and said, "Well, people like you shouldn't be allowed in public restrooms!" before stomping off.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2019, 11:54 am

XFilesGeek wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:

I don't think you can legislate away people's attitudes either; however, sometimes, the government needs to consider whether they're going to come down on the side of people's rights, or their "comfort."

A lot of people weren't "comfortable" when segregation was ended, either.

I get your point, but I'm still very leery of social engineering through legislation. That's where I diverge from progressives, and don my libertarian cap, I suppose. I believe society can become more understanding and tolerant through means other than implicating laws.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2019, 1:21 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:
^ Thanks.

The full story is that I was washing my hands in the restroom when a woman came up to me and claimed I was in the wrong bathroom, and that I was scaring her daughter.

I replied that I was female, and I proceeded to show her my driver's license as proof.

She huffed and said, "Well, people like you shouldn't be allowed in public restrooms!" before stomping off.

Well I suppose that's puts a different slant on the matter , if a kid doesn't have the awareness to know the difference then I could see how it would be scary for the kid. It explains the mothers behaviour but doesn't excuse it.

Then again it sounds like the kid story was just an excuse for the mother's failings .

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

31 May 2019, 2:15 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:
^ Thanks.

That's weird. Some people, especially older, appear quite genderless. Should they not be allowed to use public restrooms because of it?
Never came across anything like this, maybe I'm just lucky (people sometimes called me 'sir' or 'dude' by mistake, esp. when I had short hair, but never any problems because of it)

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2019, 8:07 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:
^ Thanks.

You do not have to show her your driver's license

Nobody needs a driver's license to go to the bathroom

But I know you were just trying to appease her

Failed

She could have destroyed your driver's license

According to that woman, only cisgender people should be allowed to go to public bathrooms

That's a long way from, just ignorance.

Everyone is ignorant

She truly believes that only cisgender people should be in public bathrooms

Everyone else, private bathroom or public urination

:roll:

Please do not take it personally

That woman is homophobic

:ninja:

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2019, 12:12 pm

I'm all for fighting transphobia, but this is just beyond absurd. So, now we're going to teach children that there is no male or female anatomy?

Oscar Meyer Lansky

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

01 Jun 2019, 12:18 pm

I understand they are for erasing the "male" and "female" terms form the dictionary?
Some new words would be invented with exactly the same meaning, because in reproductive physiology, we just need those terms.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2019, 12:24 pm

magz wrote:
I understand they are for erasing the "male" and "female" terms form the dictionary?
Some new words would be invented with exactly the same meaning, because in reproductive physiology, we just need those terms.

I haven't seen anything about that, but it wouldn't surprise me one bit.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

01 Jun 2019, 12:31 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
magz wrote:

I haven't seen anything about that, but it wouldn't surprise me one bit.

How else do they want to teach reproductive anatomy without using these words? Make it taboo? No male or female ducks or lizards? Or using these words talking of animals would be okay but not about humans?
I just don't get it.