Page 6 of 7 [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Didymus
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Nov 2006, 6:23 pm

Scrapheap wrote:
Jehova/Yawhey/ god of Abraham is a sadistic, cynical, capricious as$hole. If there is a god, he/she/it doesn't even realise we exist.

Sorry folks for coming in late on this conversation. :D

Just wanted to make an observation....

It seems that the Christians and other religious folks who post to the board seem to be rather peaceful and at rest, like Grevious (whom I thank immensely for posting the original post).

But the posts of those who oppose religion and Christianity seem to have a lot of bad language, hate and emptiness in them.

I wonder why that is. :roll:

Could it be that God and religion gives folks something special that the non-religious don't have?

:wink:

I know that for me personally, God has taken away the hate and emptiness I used to have, and so when I look at the more heated posts here against religion, it is sort of amusing, in a pathetic sort of way, to realize that I was once like that before I accepted the Holy Spirit with my whole heart.

I have known the hate and pain that many of you seem to feel. Sometimes I still feel it. But whenever that happens, I open my mind and heart to God and things clear up quickly.

Part of me thinks that you all want to open up your hearts to God too, otherwise you would not be reading any of the religous posts. Is that true?

From 2 Peter 1:10 So, dear brothers and sisters, work hard to prove that you really are among those God has called and chosen. Doing this, you will never stumble or fall away.

Last edited by Didymus on 10 Nov 2006, 7:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Flagg
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2006, 6:57 pm

http://www.positiveatheism.org/crt/whichcom.pdf

Emettman
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2006, 3:11 am

Didymus wrote:
It seems that the Christians and other religious folks who post to the board seem to be rather peaceful and at rest, like Grevious (whom I thank immensely for posting the original post).

But the posts of those who oppose religion and Christianity seem to have a lot of bad language, hate and emptiness in them.

Could it be that God and religion gives folks something special that the non-religious don't have?

:wink:

Part of me thinks that you all want to open up your hearts to God too, otherwise you would not be reading any of the religous posts. Is that true?

On the contentedness, there are good reasons for feeling more comfortable with a sure belief (whether or not totally erroneous) and with a surrounding community of like opinion.

(Levi-Strauss, on the concept of "necessary myths", or Douglas Adams noting people moving to "smaller universes of their own devising" rather than face the real one).

I have seen people go to any lengths rather than lose the warmth of their community.
And as for good language being associated with Christians, you should hear, or perhaps rather you should not, some of the terms I've been called. Never mind the language of Christian divisiveness.

I used to be a Christian. I trained bible study leaders. It was in study of the bible and the history of the Christian church that I slowly and reluctantly concluded that at core it was not true.

Yes, that was a massive loss of comfort, security and happiness.
And an increase in truth, as far as I can see it. And worth the exchange.

Scintillate
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2006, 5:34 am

Hmmn..

I don't think being christian = being morally right...

We all know of the christian molesters, abusers, thieves, launderers, and paedophiles.

If you need faith have it, personally I couldn't live happily believing in an afterlife.

Personally I only need faith in terms of my fellow man, not in terms of pointless belief in the good in all people, but in terms of believing in the infinite potential of conciousness.

Try not to criticise those that aren't christian, some of us hate the term atheist, which seems quite derogatory considering god itself is unknowable. I'm obsessed with the infinite nature of reality, does this make me obsessed with god?

If I said to you I dream of god, would you call me atheist? christian? agnostic? pantheistic?

Don't you see it doesn't matter what you call yourself, if you need a community to fit into, obviously you'll feel happier if they agree with you.

Personally my favourite people question everything, and find answers in self-evident truth..

A quote from a recent south park "maybe the belief in god is exactly why god exists"

Faith itself is unprovable any other way..

Anti-christian NEVER means violent, horrible, abusive, depressed, or ignorant.. Obviously there are cases, but you'll find many in christian circles too.

Lets stop the separation..

I will continue my travels, knowing what I know, and using these tools to guide me through the unknown, if you need faith, have it, but please stop criticising those that function in a different way to yourself.

Scrapheap
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2006, 11:27 am

Didymus wrote:

It's because ignorance is bliss 'tard.

McJeff
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Nov 2006, 11:55 am

Top 1 reason for being a Christian: Because most atheists are so belligerant, it's worth converting just to see them seethe and gibber.

I haven't converted yet, but I've thought about it.

Flagg
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2006, 2:58 pm

Scrapheap wrote:
Didymus wrote:

I'm an atheist and quite at peace with myself. I don't believe in a god but I believe in something - humanity and a better tomorrow. One doesn't have to believe in a god to be at peace with ones self. Once just has to believe in something. It can be as simple as the sun rising every day or as grandiose as believing humanity has a bright future.

Emettman
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2006, 3:04 pm

Scrapheap wrote:
Didymus wrote:

Very often, very true.

But the original poem was hardly disparaging about that...
What is on offer, to tempt away from "world with everying in the hand of a loving god"?

"And I believed in Father Christmas
And I looked at the sky with excited eyes
'Till I woke with a yawn in the first light of dawn
And I saw him and through his disguise."
(I believe in Father Christmas: Emerson, Lake and Palmer)

Or perhaps Terry Pratchett's "knurd":
so sober you see the world as it actually is, with no comforting illusions at all.

Not many people want to be that sober.

Scrapheap
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2006, 3:24 pm

McJeff wrote:
Top 1 reason for being a Christian: Because most atheists are so belligerant, it's worth converting just to see them seethe and gibber.

You'll need to loose about 30 IQ points first. :roll:

Emettman
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2006, 3:47 pm

Scrapheap wrote:

Cry "Havoc", and let slip the dogs of intelligence?

Scrapheap
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2006, 3:49 pm

Emettman wrote:
Scrapheap wrote:

LMAOROTF!! !

McJeff
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Nov 2006, 4:42 pm

Scrapheap wrote:
McJeff wrote:

And why do you think I haven't actually done it yet? :D

tinky
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2006, 4:48 pm

Scrapheap wrote:
Emettman wrote:
Scrapheap wrote:

LMAOROTF!! !

wouldn't it be cry idiot or duh?

tinky's WP Mod email account: [email protected]

you may tire of the world but the world will never tire of you

Didymus
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Nov 2006, 6:41 pm

tinky wrote:
Scrapheap wrote:
Emettman wrote:
Scrapheap wrote:

LMAOROTF!! !

wouldn't it be cry idiot or duh?

Ah, here we go with the jokes and barbs aimed at Christianity!

McJeff wrote:

If you did convert, you'd think that joke was sad and not funny. Christians who are strong in their faith don't delight in belligerency, seething, and gibbering. Their interest is in seeing the love of God prevail so that the belligerency, seething, and gibbering of the world disappears and gets replaced by peace.

From 2 Peter 1:10 So, dear brothers and sisters, work hard to prove that you really are among those God has called and chosen. Doing this, you will never stumble or fall away.

McJeff
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Nov 2006, 7:12 pm

If you believe AND LIVE that, you're one of the Christians I've got plenty of respect for.

Scintillate
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2006, 12:19 am

That is true, however one can also believe in upholding ideals without the need for christianity.