What will it take to convert you from atheism?

Page 6 of 6 [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

25 May 2011, 8:38 pm

For Him to come down from Heaven and say "Hi" to His Creations for once, and for Him to answer all of the questions left unanswered by the bible.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2011, 8:41 pm

Vigilans wrote:
I just don't see why the universe needs to have a creator and I also don't consider Humans all that special in the grand scheme of things

That's cool. In what I had set before you, I had meant to leave those kinds of matters unresolved while allowing each of us to believe/claim as we might about anything related even though we still seem somewhat similar in at least some personal respects and/or matters of character.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2011, 8:44 pm

ruveyn wrote:
leejosepho wrote:
LKL wrote:
I asked for evidence ...

... and I showed you where the prayer of a nation had been answered.

That begs the question. The outcome could have come from some other cause than prayer.

... and if LKL had asked you or someone else other than me, LKL might have been given a different answer to consider.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2011, 10:11 pm

Asked you?! Asked Leejosepho?
Go back and re-read the title, author, and first post of this thread, please.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2011, 10:17 pm

Some people think that everything is about them, or they think at least it all should be.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2011, 10:51 pm

LKL wrote:
Asked you?! Asked Leejosepho?
Go back and re-read the title, author, and first post of this thread, please.

Fnord wrote:
Some people think that everything is about them, or they think at least it all should be.

My bad. :oops:

When you mentioned "Go back and re-read ...", you caused me to just now recall this most-recent bit of discussion had not originated in a specific conversation between you and me, LKL.

Oops.

However, at least that is the only mistake I have made today ...

... and now I just might go sleep well on that! 8)

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2011, 12:55 am

wrt. 'where does the bible proclaim its own divinity,'
here:
2nd Timothy, 3:16
3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
"All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness."
John 16 is argued to be Jesus telling the apostles that their writings will be divinely inspired.
Ephesians 3:3-5
"3 that is, the mystery made known to me by revelation, as I have already written briefly. 4 In reading this, then, you will be able to understand my insight into the mystery of Christ, 5 which was not made known to people in other generations as it has now been revealed by the Spirit to God’s holy apostles and prophets."
1st corinthians:
"Or did the word of God originate with you? Or are you the only people it has reached? 37 If anyone thinks they are a prophet or otherwise gifted by the Spirit, let them acknowledge that what I am writing to you is the Lord’s command. 38 But if anyone ignores this, they will themselves be ignored."
2nd Peter 1:20:
"Above all, you must understand that no prophecy of Scripture came about by the prophet’s own interpretation of things. 21 For prophecy never had its origin in the human will, but prophets, though human, spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit."

also:
http://mb-soft.com/believe/txw/bibleaut.htm
quote:
The authority of the Bible is established by its own claims. It is the word of God. Such declarations as, "Thus says the Lord," or its equivalent, occur so frequently in the OT that it can confidently be asserted that the whole account is dominated by the claim. The NT writers also refer to these Scriptures as having God for their source. In the NT itself both Christ and the gospel are spoken of as "the word of God" and so demonstrate the fact that the tie between the two is a vital and necessary one. Specifically is the gospel in its central content and many aspects, through the action of the Holy Spirit, brought into written form by Christ's appointees as God's authoritative word for the church and in the world. Both testaments therefore belong together under the one designation, "the word of God." As God's word the Bible consequently carries in itself God's authority.

Now, why should I believe any of that any more than I believe the Holy Salvation Meme?

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2011, 1:19 am

LKL wrote:
wrt. 'where does the bible proclaim its own divinity,'

Your "evidence" does not convince me, but maybe I am just untrained.

LKL wrote:
Now, why should I believe any of that ...

Any of what? Your own alleged "evidence" of Scripture proclaiming "its own divinity"?! :roll:

LKL wrote:
... any more than I believe the Holy Salvation Meme?

What might the Holy Salvation Meme say about answers to prayer?