Page 6 of 7 [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

abacacus
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2012, 7:02 pm

*shrug*

It's not really worth arguing about IMO. I'm fairly set in my ways.

You will reap what you've sown.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2012, 7:05 pm

abacacus wrote:
*shrug*

That's unfortunate. Once there were people who argued that different subgroups of Caucasians were inferior or superior. It was always politically or culturally motivated. Now that there is more integration of people from different geographic areas naturally the focus is on those with different skin color and bone structure but the motivation is still the same

abacacus
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2012, 7:18 pm

Vigilans wrote:
abacacus wrote:
*shrug*

That's unfortunate. Once there were people who argued that different subgroups of Caucasians were inferior or superior. It was always politically or culturally motivated. Now that there is more integration of people from different geographic areas naturally the focus is on those with different skin color and bone structure but the motivation is still the same

I'm not arguing about superior or inferior anything, just differences.

If you'd like to put your money on China winning Olympic gold medals in running events, go ahead but I'll be putting my money towards African countries. We can see who walks away richer :p

You will reap what you've sown.

HerrGrimm
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2012, 7:18 pm

Vigilans wrote:
abacacus wrote:
*shrug*

People from the Middle East and North Africa are considered "White, non-Hispanic" in America. Same Caucasian race. They do not get much love there.

Then you have George Lincoln Rockwell, who was killed (maybe) for believing lighter-skinned whites were superior to ones with darker skin. And that was the American 1960's or somewhere there.

DuneyBlues
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Apr 2012, 8:38 pm

Quote:
Race is a construct.

Let the debate begin!

Quote:
How would you define these twins? If a policeperson were stopping them and writing a description of each, one would most probably be listed as black and the other as white (let's assume they've grown up). Police as is the case with most of society does not stop and ask a stranger about their parentage, heritage, genetics, they judge themselves based on what they see and in this case if they made a judgment like police do would judge wrong.

This needs more context because I'm having trouble identifying which judgements are particularly wrong since I do not have enough information to make a conclusion.

Let's play with this though. If were searching for a suspect with only our eyes , we will not judge wrong in these particular cases because one doesn't need knowledge of genetics , heritage nor parentage to identify if one is black or not as we have morphological information.

Quote:
This isn't an isolated "strange case" either.

Not really sure what you mean , please elaborate better.

Quote:
It's just a hard-to-ignore one given the tradition of seeing "difference" in terms of skin color variation and a few other traits. Physical differences tell you basically nothing.

Physical differences in what sense? Such as physiological functions? Those tell you something but you can't see these "differences". I think what you may mean here is morphology.

This is of particular interest to me because I come from a "racially admixed" tribe with heritages from three continents, and noticeable differences in appearance even from sibling to sibling are common, so that to eyes trained to label "race" based on physical markers, one sibling will look and be judged Race A, another will be judged Race B, another Race C, another some other race.

Right , this doesn't contradict my position at all.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/07/ ... 68x593.jpg

Quote:
There's no evidence that on the human genome skin color or other traits are inextricable from intelligence predisposition or other traits.

Right... Intelligence has nothing to do with skin color? Round 2!

Quote:
If a woman with very light skin, straight blonde hair and blue eyes who scores high on intelligence tests has children with a man with very light skin, straight blond hair, and blue eyes who scores low on intelligence tests, and some of their kids end up scoring low on intelligence tests and some high...

Actually they regress towards the mean ( which is 100 ) of intelligence and not to the mean but this depends on the who inherits which parents level of intelligence.

Quote:
no one would attribute it to their father's whiteness.

"Argumentum e silentio" or lack of evidence , next time , explain why.

Quote:
Change the father to very dark skin, dark brown eyes and highly curly dark brown/black hair however and "racial realists" would link intelligence to race (as they already do).

Consider the following argument:

Assume that A and B are two different sets because we find that they are differentiable by test W

Set A scores a 150 mean on test X and a 200 mean on test Y while Set B scores a 125 mean on test X and a 250 mean on test Y

Since they scored differently on these tests A > B on X and B > A on Y , we can conclude that they are also differentiable by tests X and Y as they give us unique characteristics since they are not the same

Thus X and Y are linked to A and B because they are differentiable

Quote:
As I've already mentioned these hypothetical adults based on their physical descriptions could viably be closely related (hopefully not if they're having kids together, but just saying) and of the same racial description.

Your forgetting other factors to take into account ( cherry-picking )

Quote:
What is wrong with this picture? "Race" is being defined in order to keep whiteness culturally privileged. I am referring to cultural privilege so often lately because a lot of people act as if it doesn't exist.

You just used multiple inconsistent arguments to support this conclusion , your drawing attention away from the subject of the argument and your even assuming that it there is one, simple cause of an outcome when in reality it may have been caused by a number of only jointly sufficient causes. ( Kettle Logic & Red Herring [ also see irrelevant conclusion ] & Causal Oversimplification ; respectively )

'Cause there ain't no one for to give you no pain

DuneyBlues
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Apr 2012, 9:26 pm

CloudLayer wrote:
DuneyBlues wrote:
Quote:
CrazyCatLord wrote:
DuneyBlues wrote:
CrazyCatLord wrote:
DuneyBlues wrote:

I'm not quite sure what you are trying to say with this. Race can't be a taxonomy. Taxonomy is the science of identifying and classifying living organisms. Race could be a taxon or a taxonomic rank within the biological taxonomy, but that is not the case. The term has been used in plant taxonomy in the past, but botany has also long replaced it with the species / subspecies taxa.

As for your link, as far as I can tell it has nothing whatsoever to do with your statement. It leads to a review of a book written by Richard Dawkins. I don't think that he is a big supporter of the idea of different human races, but I'm open to being convinced otherwise. Could you please quote the relevant part of the book? Without a quote, it makes little sense to use it as a reference, don't you think?

PS: I'm still waiting for your reply to my post. Do you have a list of human races, preferably one that was published in this century or the second half of the last century and has some scientific validity? Alternatively, you could post your own hypothesis. I still have no idea what exactly you mean when you talk about races. How many are there? What are they called? What are the classification criteria? We need to know this if we are meant to have a meaningful discussion about this subject, and I can't find any racial classification system for humans in the scientific literature for some weird reason.

( Para 2 ) I'm sorry for shifting the burden of proof on you but the whole book is based on this idea that there are different human races.

If the book is about early human evolution, as the description says, it is probably even about different human species. Until approx. 28,000 years ago, there used to be more than one species of humans. But since Neanderthals and other archaic members of the genus Homo are extinct, only one human species remains, which is Homo sapiens.

This thread is about your attempt to divide H. sapiens, the only human species on this planet, into categorical groups. I'd like to know which groups these are supposed to be. You can't really expect all thread participants to read an entire book first. If you propose that different human races exist, it is up to you to provide us with evidence for this idea, or at least with more information.

Quote:
( PS ) Critics of the concept of "race" in humans usually argue that race is a folk taxonomy rather than a scientific classification , typical.

http://www.americanethnography.com/article.php?id=36

^ This argues for my statement.

Did you read the information next to the article?

ABOUT THIS ARTICLE
“The concept of race” originally appeared in American Anthropologist October, 1962

1962... that's a bit dated, don't you think? Anthropological research didn't stop back then. If you want to read the current scientific consensus on the topic of human races, here is a link to a more recent article of the American Anthropological Association:
http://www.aaanet.org/stmts/racepp.htm

This is the important part:

Quote:
"Race" thus evolved as a worldview, a body of prejudgments that distorts our ideas about human differences and group behavior. Racial beliefs constitute myths about the diversity in the human species and about the abilities and behavior of people homogenized into "racial" categories. The myths fused behavior and physical features together in the public mind, impeding our comprehension of both biological variations and cultural behavior, implying that both are genetically determined. Racial myths bear no relationship to the reality of human capabilities or behavior. Scientists today find that reliance on such folk beliefs about human differences in research has led to countless errors.

At the end of the 20th century, we now understand that human cultural behavior is learned, conditioned into infants beginning at birth, and always subject to modification. No human is born with a built-in culture or language. Our temperaments, dispositions, and personalities, regardless of genetic propensities, are developed within sets of meanings and values that we call "culture." Studies of infant and early childhood learning and behavior attest to the reality of our cultures in forming who we are.

It is a basic tenet of anthropological knowledge that all normal human beings have the capacity to learn any cultural behavior. The American experience with immigrants from hundreds of different language and cultural backgrounds who have acquired some version of American culture traits and behavior is the clearest evidence of this fact. Moreover, people of all physical variations have learned different cultural behaviors and continue to do so as modern transportation moves millions of immigrants around the world.

But scientific knowledge is never complete or final. So if you have scientifically valid classifications of human subspecies, I'd be happy to review them with an open mind.

Response 1:

Quote:
I'd like to know which groups these are supposed to be.

http://www.velesova-sloboda.org/antrop/ ... gence.html

Quote:
You can't really expect all thread participants to read an entire book first.

Really justify why I can't. If you don't read the entire book then you have no credibility in justifying that your correct about your interpretation of the book without evidence to support this interpretation ( or in other words: I didn't read the book thus I don't have much knowledge about the other parts but I'm sure my interpretation is right about these other parts ).

Quote:
If you propose that different human races exist, it is up to you to provide us with evidence for this idea, or at least with more information.

Cavalli-Sforza's an italian population geneticist has views that have morphed over time:

“(1977) The differences that exist between the major racial groups are such that races could be called subspecies if we adopted for man a criterion suggested by Mayr (1963) for systematic zoology.[6] ”

“ (1994) The classification into races has proved to be a futile exercise for reasons that were already clear to Darwin.[7] ”

“The History and Geography of Human Genes” (1994) is the culmination of Cavalli-Sforza’s five-decade career up to that final view.

In this photo we see Cavalli-Sforza's genetic map of the Americas, from HGHG.

"One particularly silly objection by Cavalli-Sforza is that “[h]uman races are still extremely unstable entities in the hands of modern taxonomists, who define from 3 to 60 or more races… [T]he level at which we stop our classification is completely arbitrary.” (HGHG, p. 19). This philosophical fallacy also “proves” that height, weight, motion, and food do not exist, since there is no non-arbitrary dividing line between short and tall or thin and fat; nor is there a consensus on what the highway speed limit should be or what kinds of food taste good". - Unamused

Cavalli-Sforza's genetic map of Africa, from HGHG.

"Despite the alleged arbitrariness of races, Cavalli-Sforza’s six genetic color maps (the world, Africa, Asia, Europe, the Americas, and Oceania) clearly depict black Africans, Khoisans (Bushmen and Hottentots), East Asians, south-west Asians, white Europeans similar to north Africans, native North Americans, native South Americans, and native Australians (HGHG, color section, Figures 1–6). To be precise, they clearly depict these races according to Cavalli-Sforza’s own captions. In fact, the only races from Richard Lynn’s “Race Differences in Intelligence” which are not clearly depicted are

Arctic Peoples (or Eskimos) as clearly distinct from American Indians — Cavalli-Sforza’s caption to Figure 5 suggests this is “probably because [Eskimos] inhabit a very thin area on the coast,”
South-East Asians as clearly distinct from East Asians” — his caption to Figure 3 notes the “extremely dark color that makes Southeast Asia almost invisible,” and
Pacific Islanders, who occupy an even tinier area, as clearly distinct from native Australians — the map of Australia shows four major regions, one of which is present in Australia but not New Guinea". - Unamused

--

According to the article: http://www.sjsu.edu/edleadership/course ... pology.pdf

Quote:
Contemporary humans are not divisible into biological races. When anthropologists say races aren't biologically real, they also reject the idea that modern humans can be divided into scientifically valid, biologically distinct groupings or races. For races to be real as biological categories, the classification must be based on objective, consistent, and reliable biological criteria. The classification system must also have predictive value that will make it useful in research.

Predictive value? Sure, we can do that. Go out and randomly select 100 whites (group A) and 100 blacks (group B). From each group create a basketball team and a swim team. We can predict with almost complete certainty that group A would win the swimming match and that group B would win the basketball game.

Everybody knows this.

Look at the Olympic games. Blacks at sports that involve sprinting and jumping while whites excel at swimming. Whites on average have a lower bone density than blacks while blacks on average have bodies better suited for sprinting and jumping. Interestingly, blacks from west Africa tend to be better at sprinting while blacks from east Africa tend to be better at marathons. There are physiological differences between the races. And if you don't want to call them "races," fine. There are physiological differences between people whose ancestors came from Europe and people whose ancestors came from Africa.

Other predictive value useful for research include such facts that backs and whites

- metabolize sodium and calcium differently: http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/24155.php
- Blacks have a higher suscesptibility to sickle cell anemia than whites. In fact, sickle cell anemia is rarely seen in descendants of people from northern Europe: http://old.post-gazette.com/healthscien ... 0507p3.asp
- Blacks have a higher rate of prostate cancer than whites, and blacks and whites react to drugs differently: http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/fact ... isparities
- blacks have shorter gestation periods: http://ije.oxfordjournals.org/content/33/1/107.full
- Black children walk and talk sooner than white children: http://human-stupidity.com/stupid-dogma ... ed-my-mind
- Blacks reach puberty earlier than whites: http://www.thegrio.com/health/study-sho ... panics.php
- Blacks have shorter life spans than whites: http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/242252.php
- On average, whites have larger cranial capacity than blacks, and with this we start to get into territory that makes so many people uncomfortable: http://www.charlesdarwinresearch.org/Rushton1992.pdf

A lot of people want to pretend that millions of years of evolution produced only skin-deep difference. The science just does not support the wishful thinking of Lewontin ( see The “variation within populations” line which is Lewontin’s fallacy ), Kamin, Gould ( rejects the IQ ), Diamond, et al.

One of the problems of Racial Realist criticizers is this:

"Sad to say, you simply cannot trust Rushton’s ( racial realist )opponents, in general. Many of them, such as David Suzuki, have demonstrated — even admitted — that when it comes to race, they are activists, not scientists. They make no attempt to discover the truth, and they have no interest in the facts. What they do is appeal to the public’s emotions and its willful ignorance on the issues, shriek insults and spurious accusations of hatred, and attempt to silence dissenting viewpoints and shut down research that contradicts their political beliefs.

These are the sorts of people who said that believing in the IQ gap was “racist,” right up until the accumulated evidence for the gap was so ridiculously overwhelming that they were forced to concede that yes, there are obviously race differences in IQ. So now, according to them, the gap exists, but if you believe it’s not 100% environmental (i.e., caused by evil racist White people) or that IQ has something to do with intelligence, then you’re (still) a big ol’ “racist.” So it goes.

I don’t know who Valencia or her “experts in life history” are, but I would assign no weight whatsoever to their opinions until I was certain they weren’t just more egalitarian activists who happen to work in science when they’re not out “defeating fascism.” Such people have given us every reason not to trust them". - Unamused

Why do you not call yourself a racial activist when as Vigilans pointed out it's the m.o. of "racial realists" as you apparently call yourselves to cheery-pick information that supports inherent differences between races (and specifically "greater intelligence" of white people than black people)? May I ask where the hell anyone gets an idea to measure "innate intelligence" of races?" A desire to claim natural superiority perhaps?

Here's information on biological differences of light-skinned red-haired people as found in some populations of Europe.

http://qjmed.oxfordjournals.org/content/92/3/125.full

Why do people not call people with this eumelanin variant a distinct race? Oh, I don't know, maybe because race is a social construct that is used to validate existing inequalities of privilege.

First off , I do not fit your generalization.
Second , your misinterpreting the stance of racial realism to discredit me.
Third , your as likely to cherry-pick information ( see also confirmation bias ) as their is no consensus by both sides on this issue thus it's meaningless.
Fourth , one is curious and ignorant thus one measures to gain knowledge
Fifth , your falsely attributing me.
Sixth , you have inconsistent and predictably weak data but for some reason you have confident assertions about your prediction , a possible framing bias perhaps?

Again , there is no universal consensus on the definition of race , therefore it is not possible to disagree on whether this is a distinct race or not. However race is still a valued taxonomy , refer to my other posts for more information , in particular to Catlord.

Your hypothesis that race is a social construct used to validate existing inequalities of privilege is not even verified by yourself thus your relationship between these two concepts is illusory.

DuneyBlues
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Apr 2012, 9:55 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Race is bogus. Read this:

Human Genetic Diversity and the Nonexistence of Biological Races
Jeffrey C. Long1 and Rick A. Kittles2
1 Department of Human Genetics, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109-0618.
2 National Human Genome Center, Howard University, Washington, D.C. 20060.
Abstract
Sewall Wright's population structure statistic, FST, measured among samples of world populations is often 15% or less. This would indicate that 85% of genetic variation occurs within groups while only 15% can be attributed to allele frequency differences among groups. In this paper, we show that this low value reflects strong biases that result from violating hidden assumptions that define FST. These limitations on FST are demonstrated algebraically and in the context of analyzing dinucleotide repeat allele frequencies for a set of eight loci genotyped in eight human groups and in chimpanzees. In our analyses, estimates of FST. fail to identify important variation. For example, when the analysis includes only humans, FST = 0.119, but adding the chimpanzees increases it only a little, FST = 0.183. By relaxing the underlying statistical assumptions, the results for chimpanzees become consistent with common knowledge, and we see a richer pattern of human genetic diversity. Some human groups are far more diverged than would be implied by standard computations of FST, while other groups are much less diverged. We discuss the relevance of these findings to the application of biological race concepts to humans. Four different race concepts are considered: typological, population, taxonomic, and lineage. Surprisingly, a great deal of genetic variation within groups is consistent with each of these concepts. However, none of the race concepts is compatible with the patterns of variation revealed by our analyses.

So there.

ruveyn

Oh I'll copy and paste too!

This is a 2009 paper written claiming races are a biological reality -

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v4 ... 1726a.html

There is a whole tun of similar scientific articles as so forth which have reached the same conclusions.

Its not up to race believers to prove race exists. The same would be to ask someone to prove the world is a globe.

The people who need evidence are the race deniers as they are challenging an orthodox view.

CloudLayer
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Apr 2012, 10:56 pm

DuneyBlues wrote:
Quote:
Race is a construct.

Quote:
Let the debate begin!

Quote:
How would you define these twins? If a policeperson were stopping them and writing a description of each, one would most probably be listed as black and the other as white (let's assume they've grown up). Police as is the case with most of society does not stop and ask a stranger about their parentage, heritage, genetics, they judge themselves based on what they see and in this case if they made a judgment like police do would judge wrong.

Quote:
This needs more context because I'm having trouble identifying which judgements are particularly wrong since I do not have enough information to make a conclusion.

Quote:
Let's play with this though. If were searching for a suspect with only our eyes , we will not judge wrong in these particular cases because one doesn't need knowledge of genetics , heritage nor parentage to identify if one is black or not as we have morphological information.

So are you saying that "blackness" is visual morphology alone? What is that morphology? Because police and other public officials uninterested in a person's actual identity in the United States make their own judgment about what "race" a person is (Black, White, Asian, Hispanic, or Middle Eastern, where I live at least).

Quote:
This isn't an isolated "strange case" either.

Quote:
Not really sure what you mean , please elaborate better.

I mean that this is the normal genetic variation that occurs among siblings; it was made a news case because culturally humans overemphasize the importance of a very few traits as what "makes" a person this race or that race, but large variations can and do often occur between siblings in families headed by parents who would be judged by arbitrary cultural definitions to be the same "race." See: eumelanin example in earlier post.

Quote:
It's just a hard-to-ignore one given the tradition of seeing "difference" in terms of skin color variation and a few other traits. Physical differences tell you basically nothing.

Quote:
Physical differences in what sense? Such as physiological functions? Those tell you something but you can't see these "differences". I think what you may mean here is morphology.

I mean physical differences. That is what is used to "identify" people by "race" by the many varying and often contradictory definitions there are. Compare racial definitions in (the U.S. to those in Puerto Rico for example. Or any other country.) People don't, because they CAN'T, know that an anonymous person is great at basketball (to use an example that I cannot believe was brought up earlier) and conclude: This person is Black! Or find out that a person has sickle cell anemia and conclude the same thing.

Quote:
This is of particular interest to me because I come from a "racially admixed" tribe with heritages from three continents, and noticeable differences in appearance even from sibling to sibling are common, so that to eyes trained to label "race" based on physical markers, one sibling will look and be judged Race A, another will be judged Race B, another Race C, another some other race.

Right , this doesn't contradict my position at all.

Yes actually it does.

So, based on morphological information, people have mistaken this guy for white and he has written about it. This is way more common than you seem to realize, being as you stated you [I assume by "you" you mean anyone] can tell if someone's black from morphological information. Why does this guy get varying assessments of his race then?

"Race" in the case of police mentioned earlier is not race at all but whoever's taking the notes' cultural preconceptions about what of five narrow, ill-defined and completely artificial groups someone is based on a perfunctory mostly visual and therefore very informable by context, including preconceptions about who wears what and who talks like what and who exists (notice there are some ethnic groups that no one would say are covered by any of these), assessment of them. My mom has been marked down as and/or mistaken for the following races: Colored. Black. White. Native American. Hispanic. Puerto Rican. Middle Eastern. Mixed race. How can you say people are "black" when people don't agree what "black" is? One police officer will mark down the suspect is A while another will mark them down as B or C.

Quote:

Quote:
There's no evidence that on the human genome skin color or other traits are inextricable from intelligence predisposition or other traits.

Quote:
Right... Intelligence has nothing to do with skin color? Round 2!

Quote:
If a woman with very light skin, straight blonde hair and blue eyes who scores high on intelligence tests has children with a man with very light skin, straight blond hair, and blue eyes who scores low on intelligence tests, and some of their kids end up scoring low on intelligence tests and some high...

Quote:
Actually they regress towards the mean ( which is 100 ) of intelligence and not to the mean but this depends on the who inherits which parents level of intelligence.

I don't know what you mean by "regress towards the mean... and not towards the mean." Regress is a term about averages though, and averages aggregate all of the numbers that lie on one side as well as on the other of the average. Any genetic predisposition to a certain neurology is determined by the interplay of many genes' expression and the expression could favor one, the other, both, or neither parent (if they inherited genes that are not expressed but are carried in either parent).

Quote:
no one would attribute it to their father's whiteness.

"Argumentum e silentio" or lack of evidence , next time , explain why.

Because both of the parents are considered white, and people do not hold racist ideas about whites being of inferior intelligence to blacks.

Quote:
Change the father to very dark skin, dark brown eyes and highly curly dark brown/black hair however and "racial realists" would link intelligence to race (as they already do).

Quote:
Consider the following argument:

Assume that A and B are two different sets because we find that they are differentiable by test W

Set A scores a 150 mean on test X and a 200 mean on test Y while Set B scores a 125 mean on test X and a 250 mean on test Y

Since they scored differently on these tests A > B on X and B > A on Y , we can conclude that they are also differentiable by tests X and Y as they give us unique characteristics since they are not the same

Thus X and Y are linked to A and B because they are differentiable

Um, are A and B supposed to be black and white and X and Y different arenas of performance?

If so you're falling into the racist trap I just described. Why, because someone possesses the four physical characteristics typically seen as "constituting of blackness" in the second example, is their race suddenly linked to their intelligence, but not before when the person possesses four typically seen as constituting of whiteness?

Quote:
As I've already mentioned these hypothetical adults based on their physical descriptions could viably be closely related (hopefully not if they're having kids together, but just saying) and of the same racial description.

Your forgetting other factors to take into account ( cherry-picking )

What are these factors? This example purposely included a small number of variables to sketch a realistic scenario so that the validity of the premise can be scientifically assessed. The only difference in these scenarios are the four factors I mentioned. Hair color, eye color, skin color, hair curliness. My VERY POINT is that these characteristics have not been shown to in any way linked on the genome, riding around together and inherited together, with low intelligence or any kind of intelligence. Yet the variables are what someone's blackness is "determined" by. Then you have "racial realists" asserting the "race" is linked to intelligence. Are you not seeing the problem.

Quote:
What is wrong with this picture? "Race" is being defined in order to keep whiteness culturally privileged. I am referring to cultural privilege so often lately because a lot of people act as if it doesn't exist.

You just used multiple inconsistent arguments to support this conclusion , your drawing attention away from the subject of the argument and your even assuming that it there is one, simple cause of an outcome when in reality it may have been caused by a number of only jointly sufficient causes. ( Kettle Logic

Kettle Logic (la logique du chaudron in the original French) is a type of informal fallacy wherein one uses multiple arguments to defend a point, but the arguments themselves are inconsistent.

I used multiple arguments to defend different facets of a point, using consistent logic. Please show me where I have been inconsistent.

& Red Herring [ also see irrelevant conclusion ]
You are calling my real-world experience with seeing someone carrying genetic information from the exact same two parents, or in fact carrying the exact same genetic information as themselves, irrelevant when it shows that people cannot just a person's "race" on "morphology" as you claim.

Quote:
& Causal Oversimplification

I was very scientific with my use of controls in the example I used that you are saying did not present enough information to judge. Where exactly is this simplification.

I honestly can't believe I'm trying to reason with someone professing blatantly racist views but there you go.

CloudLayer
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Apr 2012, 11:37 pm

DuneyBlues wrote:
CloudLayer wrote:
DuneyBlues wrote:
Quote:
CrazyCatLord wrote:
DuneyBlues wrote:
CrazyCatLord wrote:
DuneyBlues wrote:

I'm not quite sure what you are trying to say with this. Race can't be a taxonomy. Taxonomy is the science of identifying and classifying living organisms. Race could be a taxon or a taxonomic rank within the biological taxonomy, but that is not the case. The term has been used in plant taxonomy in the past, but botany has also long replaced it with the species / subspecies taxa.

As for your link, as far as I can tell it has nothing whatsoever to do with your statement. It leads to a review of a book written by Richard Dawkins. I don't think that he is a big supporter of the idea of different human races, but I'm open to being convinced otherwise. Could you please quote the relevant part of the book? Without a quote, it makes little sense to use it as a reference, don't you think?

PS: I'm still waiting for your reply to my post. Do you have a list of human races, preferably one that was published in this century or the second half of the last century and has some scientific validity? Alternatively, you could post your own hypothesis. I still have no idea what exactly you mean when you talk about races. How many are there? What are they called? What are the classification criteria? We need to know this if we are meant to have a meaningful discussion about this subject, and I can't find any racial classification system for humans in the scientific literature for some weird reason.

( Para 2 ) I'm sorry for shifting the burden of proof on you but the whole book is based on this idea that there are different human races.

If the book is about early human evolution, as the description says, it is probably even about different human species. Until approx. 28,000 years ago, there used to be more than one species of humans. But since Neanderthals and other archaic members of the genus Homo are extinct, only one human species remains, which is Homo sapiens.

This thread is about your attempt to divide H. sapiens, the only human species on this planet, into categorical groups. I'd like to know which groups these are supposed to be. You can't really expect all thread participants to read an entire book first. If you propose that different human races exist, it is up to you to provide us with evidence for this idea, or at least with more information.

Quote:
( PS ) Critics of the concept of "race" in humans usually argue that race is a folk taxonomy rather than a scientific classification , typical.

http://www.americanethnography.com/article.php?id=36

^ This argues for my statement.

Did you read the information next to the article?

ABOUT THIS ARTICLE
“The concept of race” originally appeared in American Anthropologist October, 1962

1962... that's a bit dated, don't you think? Anthropological research didn't stop back then. If you want to read the current scientific consensus on the topic of human races, here is a link to a more recent article of the American Anthropological Association:
http://www.aaanet.org/stmts/racepp.htm

This is the important part:

Quote:
"Race" thus evolved as a worldview, a body of prejudgments that distorts our ideas about human differences and group behavior. Racial beliefs constitute myths about the diversity in the human species and about the abilities and behavior of people homogenized into "racial" categories. The myths fused behavior and physical features together in the public mind, impeding our comprehension of both biological variations and cultural behavior, implying that both are genetically determined. Racial myths bear no relationship to the reality of human capabilities or behavior. Scientists today find that reliance on such folk beliefs about human differences in research has led to countless errors.

At the end of the 20th century, we now understand that human cultural behavior is learned, conditioned into infants beginning at birth, and always subject to modification. No human is born with a built-in culture or language. Our temperaments, dispositions, and personalities, regardless of genetic propensities, are developed within sets of meanings and values that we call "culture." Studies of infant and early childhood learning and behavior attest to the reality of our cultures in forming who we are.

It is a basic tenet of anthropological knowledge that all normal human beings have the capacity to learn any cultural behavior. The American experience with immigrants from hundreds of different language and cultural backgrounds who have acquired some version of American culture traits and behavior is the clearest evidence of this fact. Moreover, people of all physical variations have learned different cultural behaviors and continue to do so as modern transportation moves millions of immigrants around the world.

But scientific knowledge is never complete or final. So if you have scientifically valid classifications of human subspecies, I'd be happy to review them with an open mind.

Response 1:

Quote:
I'd like to know which groups these are supposed to be.

http://www.velesova-sloboda.org/antrop/ ... gence.html

Quote:
You can't really expect all thread participants to read an entire book first.

Really justify why I can't. If you don't read the entire book then you have no credibility in justifying that your correct about your interpretation of the book without evidence to support this interpretation ( or in other words: I didn't read the book thus I don't have much knowledge about the other parts but I'm sure my interpretation is right about these other parts ).

Quote:
If you propose that different human races exist, it is up to you to provide us with evidence for this idea, or at least with more information.

Cavalli-Sforza's an italian population geneticist has views that have morphed over time:

“(1977) The differences that exist between the major racial groups are such that races could be called subspecies if we adopted for man a criterion suggested by Mayr (1963) for systematic zoology.[6] ”

“ (1994) The classification into races has proved to be a futile exercise for reasons that were already clear to Darwin.[7] ”

“The History and Geography of Human Genes” (1994) is the culmination of Cavalli-Sforza’s five-decade career up to that final view.

In this photo we see Cavalli-Sforza's genetic map of the Americas, from HGHG.

"One particularly silly objection by Cavalli-Sforza is that “[h]uman races are still extremely unstable entities in the hands of modern taxonomists, who define from 3 to 60 or more races… [T]he level at which we stop our classification is completely arbitrary.” (HGHG, p. 19). This philosophical fallacy also “proves” that height, weight, motion, and food do not exist, since there is no non-arbitrary dividing line between short and tall or thin and fat; nor is there a consensus on what the highway speed limit should be or what kinds of food taste good". - Unamused

Cavalli-Sforza's genetic map of Africa, from HGHG.

"Despite the alleged arbitrariness of races, Cavalli-Sforza’s six genetic color maps (the world, Africa, Asia, Europe, the Americas, and Oceania) clearly depict black Africans, Khoisans (Bushmen and Hottentots), East Asians, south-west Asians, white Europeans similar to north Africans, native North Americans, native South Americans, and native Australians (HGHG, color section, Figures 1–6). To be precise, they clearly depict these races according to Cavalli-Sforza’s own captions. In fact, the only races from Richard Lynn’s “Race Differences in Intelligence” which are not clearly depicted are

Arctic Peoples (or Eskimos) as clearly distinct from American Indians — Cavalli-Sforza’s caption to Figure 5 suggests this is “probably because [Eskimos] inhabit a very thin area on the coast,”
South-East Asians as clearly distinct from East Asians” — his caption to Figure 3 notes the “extremely dark color that makes Southeast Asia almost invisible,” and
Pacific Islanders, who occupy an even tinier area, as clearly distinct from native Australians — the map of Australia shows four major regions, one of which is present in Australia but not New Guinea". - Unamused

--

According to the article: http://www.sjsu.edu/edleadership/course ... pology.pdf

Quote:
Contemporary humans are not divisible into biological races. When anthropologists say races aren't biologically real, they also reject the idea that modern humans can be divided into scientifically valid, biologically distinct groupings or races. For races to be real as biological categories, the classification must be based on objective, consistent, and reliable biological criteria. The classification system must also have predictive value that will make it useful in research.

Predictive value? Sure, we can do that. Go out and randomly select 100 whites (group A) and 100 blacks (group B). From each group create a basketball team and a swim team. We can predict with almost complete certainty that group A would win the swimming match and that group B would win the basketball game.

Everybody knows this.

Look at the Olympic games. Blacks at sports that involve sprinting and jumping while whites excel at swimming. Whites on average have a lower bone density than blacks while blacks on average have bodies better suited for sprinting and jumping. Interestingly, blacks from west Africa tend to be better at sprinting while blacks from east Africa tend to be better at marathons. There are physiological differences between the races. And if you don't want to call them "races," fine. There are physiological differences between people whose ancestors came from Europe and people whose ancestors came from Africa.

Other predictive value useful for research include such facts that backs and whites

- metabolize sodium and calcium differently: http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/24155.php
- Blacks have a higher suscesptibility to sickle cell anemia than whites. In fact, sickle cell anemia is rarely seen in descendants of people from northern Europe: http://old.post-gazette.com/healthscien ... 0507p3.asp
- Blacks have a higher rate of prostate cancer than whites, and blacks and whites react to drugs differently: http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/fact ... isparities
- blacks have shorter gestation periods: http://ije.oxfordjournals.org/content/33/1/107.full
- Black children walk and talk sooner than white children: http://human-stupidity.com/stupid-dogma ... ed-my-mind
- Blacks reach puberty earlier than whites: http://www.thegrio.com/health/study-sho ... panics.php
- Blacks have shorter life spans than whites: http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/242252.php
- On average, whites have larger cranial capacity than blacks, and with this we start to get into territory that makes so many people uncomfortable: http://www.charlesdarwinresearch.org/Rushton1992.pdf

A lot of people want to pretend that millions of years of evolution produced only skin-deep difference. The science just does not support the wishful thinking of Lewontin ( see The “variation within populations” line which is Lewontin’s fallacy ), Kamin, Gould ( rejects the IQ ), Diamond, et al.

One of the problems of Racial Realist criticizers is this:

"Sad to say, you simply cannot trust Rushton’s ( racial realist )opponents, in general. Many of them, such as David Suzuki, have demonstrated — even admitted — that when it comes to race, they are activists, not scientists. They make no attempt to discover the truth, and they have no interest in the facts. What they do is appeal to the public’s emotions and its willful ignorance on the issues, shriek insults and spurious accusations of hatred, and attempt to silence dissenting viewpoints and shut down research that contradicts their political beliefs.

These are the sorts of people who said that believing in the IQ gap was “racist,” right up until the accumulated evidence for the gap was so ridiculously overwhelming that they were forced to concede that yes, there are obviously race differences in IQ. So now, according to them, the gap exists, but if you believe it’s not 100% environmental (i.e., caused by evil racist White people) or that IQ has something to do with intelligence, then you’re (still) a big ol’ “racist.” So it goes.

I don’t know who Valencia or her “experts in life history” are, but I would assign no weight whatsoever to their opinions until I was certain they weren’t just more egalitarian activists who happen to work in science when they’re not out “defeating fascism.” Such people have given us every reason not to trust them". - Unamused

Why do you not call yourself a racial activist when as Vigilans pointed out it's the m.o. of "racial realists" as you apparently call yourselves to cheery-pick information that supports inherent differences between races (and specifically "greater intelligence" of white people than black people)? May I ask where the hell anyone gets an idea to measure "innate intelligence" of races?" A desire to claim natural superiority perhaps?

Here's information on biological differences of light-skinned red-haired people as found in some populations of Europe.

http://qjmed.oxfordjournals.org/content/92/3/125.full

Why do people not call people with this eumelanin variant a distinct race? Oh, I don't know, maybe because race is a social construct that is used to validate existing inequalities of privilege.

Quote:
First off , I do not fit your generalization.
How?
Quote:
Second , your misinterpreting the stance of racial realism to discredit me.
No, unfortunately you discredit yourself. I am far from the only one to have drawn the "racial realism"/racism connection and I find it incredibly offensive.
Quote:
Third , your as likely to cherry-pick information ( see also confirmation bias ) as their is no consensus by both sides on this issue thus it's meaningless.
If it's meaningless why argue about it? I am arguing about it because I'm really offended. How about you?
Quote:
Fourth , one is curious and ignorant thus one measures to gain knowledge
You are starting out trying to prove the premise that groups which have suffered unbelievable amounts of historical and continuing oppression are inherently inferior. First try correcting the cultural inequality if you want to get anything close to an accurate measurement.
Quote:
Fifth , your falsely attributing me.
Where?
Quote:
Sixth , you have inconsistent and predictably weak data but for some reason you have confident assertions about your prediction , a possible framing bias perhaps?
Where is my data weak and why did you predict that it would be weak?

Quote:
Again , there is no universal consensus on the definition of race , therefore it is not possible to disagree on whether this is a distinct race or not. However race is still a valued taxonomy , refer to my other posts for more information , in particular to Catlord.

Oh, hmm, that's very convenient for you that it's not possible to disagree on whether a term that you've made liberal use of in this thread to refer to black people's "lower intelligence" exists as a catgory for a subgroup of white people. I am not at all interested in creating the illusion of more racial categories, my exact point is that inconsistency in the application of the term "race" to different groups of people based on variations in morphology means that no definable "races" exist and I have no clue why you created this thread full of links to studies about racial differences between black people and white people.

Quote:
Your hypothesis that race is a social construct used to validate existing inequalities of privilege is not even verified by yourself thus your relationship between these two concepts is illusory.

I don't know what you mean "verified." I've been presenting my argument on this all along.

TM
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2012, 3:20 am

CloudLayer wrote:
TM wrote:
CloudLayer wrote:
I am "obsessed" with the fact that someone is proudly posting racist videos that attempt to claim that "whites" are superior to "blacks." The pride is evident in the use of a term like"anti-racists."

Not to play Devil's advocate completely here, but I think its safe to say that the use of the terms "racist" and "racism" are used in a few too many situation where their use is not warranted. Secondly, would anyone object to me saying that blacks are superior dancers, basketball players (except for the shooters as the best ones are white), runners? Would anyone object it to me saying that a side-effect of a bris (Jewish circumcision) is a higher chance at winning a Nobel price?

It's not actually safe to say that. Find me a situation it's widely used in where it's not warranted. People don't point out racism for fun. People literally point it out for their health, it's profoundly unhealthy living in a society where microassaults are made all the time on a person's right to be seen and treated equally.

I object to you saying that "blacks" are superior dancers, basketball players even with whatever exception you are claiming, or runners. Strongly. First of all I wasn't aware that dancing was a measurable sport.

Quote:
Would anyone object it to me saying that a side-effect of a bris (Jewish circumcision) is a higher chance at winning a Nobel price?
Is this part a joke?

I'd say its significantly more unhealthy to deny the existence of measurable differences because pointing out that there are in fact genetic differences between members of the human species that does make them more suited or less suited for different activities. The problem with the "left" is the fact that "equal" is used as a synonym for "identical" which is more offensive to me because it indicates that there is one universal fit for all of us.

http://run-down.com/guests/je_black_athletes_p2.php

The left approaches the world through the pseudoscience of sociology, whereas some people elect to say, let a real science take a look first.

The second part is half joke, half truth, because if you look at Nobel prize winners you have an over-representation of people with Jewish ancestry.

flipflopjenkins
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Apr 2012, 7:09 am

Declension wrote:
"Racial realists" are white people who desperately want certain things to be true.

White liberal race-deniers are people who desperately want certain things to be true for their own comfort and peace of mind.

Declension wrote:
Their lives are not very interesting, and so they have fantasies that there is a hierarchy of races based on intelligence and that their race is near the top. In this way, they can feel like they are a part of something interesting, a part of a "team" larger than themselves.

Many white liberal race-deniers on the other hand are people cannot bear the idea of belonging to a team that they were born into, because that might imply that there is some sort of competition going on, and they would then be expected to pull their weight as part of that team, and they would then be shown up for the weaklings that they are. White liberals are like the scrawny kids who get picked last for games and then take a pleasure in every setback their own team suffers. They comfort themselves by talking about all humanity, and convincing themselves that all humanity is progressing as surely as night follows day. If they display any partisan tendencies, they display them towards things like political parties - then they can just change their minds when the going gets tough.

Declension wrote:
Unfortunately, other white people don't actually like them very much. They pretend that the reason that other white people do not like them is that other white people have been brainwashed and need to be "woken up".

In addition to the subset of white liberal race-deniers who are self-centred weaklings, there is an overlapping subset who consist of people who stick their fingers in the air, find out which way the wind is blowing, and then follow. If the wind changed, they would change with it, but they declare that anyone who moves against the wind is ignorant, needs to be educated, and is standing in the way of progress.

The fact that the professed racial views among so many in, say, the United States, have turned around 180 degrees within 50 years simply is a testament to the fact that the masses do not think for themselves, regardless of whether you believe the majority today are right or whether you believe the majority 50 years ago were right. That's just the way it is - the obedience of the masses is something that helps keep society cohesive and civilized ... under the right conditions.

Declension wrote:
I don't know if I would describe them as "racists". I think that I would describe them as "sad".

We should send Declension off to Sri Lanka or Kashmir or Sudan. He could tell the people there how "sad" they are to care whether or not their own team prevails. I'm sure with his great wisdom he could solve their problems within weeks.

Declension wrote:
Joker wrote:
Hmm lets see their have been Italian Black and Mexican raical realists not just white people

You have to remember that
(a) the vast majority of self-described "racial realists" are white

If this is true, it is because in most non-western countries, race-realism comes so naturally to non-whites that it does not even warrant a name, whereas in western countries, non-whites have little incentive to promote race-realism and every incentive to promote race-denial. Of course, race-denial does not stop non-whites forming their own advocacy groups (so that those socially constructed blacks who don't really exist can protect themselves against those socially constructed whites who don't really exist - or something).

Declension wrote:
and (b) modern racial realists do not say that whites are the most intelligent. They say that East Asians and Jews are more intelligent than whites.
So you don't need to believe that your race is at the top in order to achieve a sick pleasure out of being a racial realist. You only need to believe that some races are under you.

With their squeamishness about this subject, race-deniers show themselves to be place greater importance on IQ than the race-realists they complain about. Person A could have a higher IQ than person B and still be inferior according to a whole host of other criteria.

What on earth is so sick about believing that your own group scores more highly on some criteria than some other groups? You just need to apply this logic at the individual level to see how ridiculous it is.

For example, do you Declension believe yourself to have a higher IQ than at least some other people on this planet? Do you think there are some other things that you also do better than at least some other people? Do you think you have certain unique characteristics as an individual? Do you have value to yourself because you are you and not someone else? And can I call you sick if you answered yes to any of these questions?

blunnet
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2012, 9:47 am

Declension wrote:
and (b) modern racial realists do not say that whites are the most intelligent. They say that East Asians and Jews are more intelligent than whites.

And what would make asians and jews "more intelligent"? Their physical difference? It's funny how some people make that simplistic and flawed relation, likely they are not that intelligent.

Funny thing about racialists is that they claim the science is in favor of their ideology, their stance is not that much different from creationists. Pretty much they seem to rely on a conspiracy theory, what other choice would they have anyway?

DuneyBlues
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Apr 2012, 10:50 am

I will address two responses here:

Quote:
Race is bogus. Read this:

Human Genetic Diversity and the Nonexistence of Biological Races
Jeffrey C. Long1 and Rick A. Kittles2
1 Department of Human Genetics, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109-0618.
2 National Human Genome Center, Howard University, Washington, D.C. 20060.
Abstract
Sewall Wright's population structure statistic, FST, measured among samples of world populations is often 15% or less. This would indicate that 85% of genetic variation occurs within groups while only 15% can be attributed to allele frequency differences among groups. In this paper, we show that this low value reflects strong biases that result from violating hidden assumptions that define FST. These limitations on FST are demonstrated algebraically and in the context of analyzing dinucleotide repeat allele frequencies for a set of eight loci genotyped in eight human groups and in chimpanzees. In our analyses, estimates of FST. fail to identify important variation. For example, when the analysis includes only humans, FST = 0.119, but adding the chimpanzees increases it only a little, FST = 0.183. By relaxing the underlying statistical assumptions, the results for chimpanzees become consistent with common knowledge, and we see a richer pattern of human genetic diversity. Some human groups are far more diverged than would be implied by standard computations of FST, while other groups are much less diverged. We discuss the relevance of these findings to the application of biological race concepts to humans. Four different race concepts are considered: typological, population, taxonomic, and lineage. Surprisingly, a great deal of genetic variation within groups is consistent with each of these concepts. However, none of the race concepts is compatible with the patterns of variation revealed by our analyses.

So there.

ruveyn

LKL wrote:
DuneyBlues wrote:
LKL wrote:
http://www.livinganthropologically.com/anthropology/race-reconciled-debunks-race/

See Lewontin's fallacy: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... 5/abstract

Lewontin's fallacy does not apply to the major point of the article, which is that human variation is clinal rather than clumped (the latter being necessary for the biological concept of 'race' to be applied to a species).

lulz

I like how you think this is new and unrelevant, as if I haven’t seen exactly this sort of thing before. The comparison of variation “within groups” versus variation “among groups” is generally known as “Lewontin’s fallacy” (because to the extent that the claim is meaningful, it’s false).

I can refute the “non-existence” of genetic race in four pictures:

1. Genetic variation worldwide : http://unamusementpark.com/wp-content/u ... _world.png

2. Genetic variation in Africa : http://unamusementpark.com/wp-content/u ... Africa.png

3. Genetic distances between populations : http://unamusementpark.com/wp-content/u ... c_tree.jpg

4. Genetic map of the world : http://unamusementpark.com/wp-content/u ... _world.jpg

The first three are from Tishkoff et al. (2009), the third is from Luigi Luca Cavalli-Sforza’s “The History and Geography of Human Genes” (1994) : http://unamusementpark.com/2011/04/debu ... li-sforza/
As the author puts it: “The [genetic] color map of the world [see below] shows very distinctly the differences that we know exist among the continents: Africans (yellow), Caucasoids (green), Mongoloids… (purple), and Australian Aborigines (red).”

In “Genetic structure of human populations” (2002), N. A. Rosenberg et al. showed that people cluster genetically according to major geographic regions — in other words, races (Science 298(5602): 2381–2385).

In “Genetic Structure, Self-Identified Race/Ethnicity, and Confounding in Case-Control Association Studies” (2005), H. Tang et al. demonstrated that genetic clusters match self-reported race (White, Black, Hispanic, or East Asian) 99.9 percent of the time (American Journal of Human Genetics 76(2): 268–275).

Cavalli-Sforza found, among other things, that the genetic distance between the English and the Italians is about 2.5 times as large as the distance between the English and the Danish. The Iranians are 9 times farther away, genetically speaking, from the English than the Danes are from the English. The Japanese are 59 times farther away. The distance from the English to the Bantus of sub-Saharan Africa is 109 times as big as the English-Danish distance.

Why the discrepancy with the race denialists’ claims? Lewontin’s fallacy is addressed quite thoroughly in “Race: A Social Destruction of a Biological Concept” (2001) by Neven Sesardic (Biology and Philosophy 25(2): 143-162): http://www.ln.edu.hk/philoso/staff/sesardic/Race.pdf
In brief, two people of the same race are always more similar genetically than two people of different races (pp. 150–154). The main problem is that Lewontin measured genetic variation by looking at each genetic indicator separately, thereby failing to account for genetic clustering.

I suggest you read the posts categorized under “Nature of Race.” : http://unamusementpark.com/category/hum ... e-of-race/ As I explained in this post: http://unamusementpark.com/2011/11/welc ... go-part-4/ for example, human races could be considered subspecies by Mayr’s 1963 criterion for systematic zoology: we can assign people to their correct major racial group with near-perfect accuracy, while Mayr was willing to accept a 75% success rate for non-human species.

By the way, can you tell the difference between Blacks, Whites, and East Asians? And when you know the race of the parents, is there ever any doubt what race the child will be? Doubt you can answer either of those questions without contradicting yourself or lying.

“Haha” indeed.

--

By the way, the main point is that race hustlers like Blakey don’t want anyone to do any sort of research into biological differences between the races, because they need a continuous supply of White guilt to keep the “reparations” flowing.

He wants to bash Whites for the benefit of Blacks, thereby stirring up Black resentment, rage, and racial hatred toward Whites, and he won’t let a few inconvenient facts stand in the way.

--

Oh, and read this refutation as well (in particular, “F_ST Follies”).

http://www.goodrumj.com/RFaqHTML.html

DuneyBlues
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Apr 2012, 11:11 am

blunnet wrote:
Declension wrote:

And what would make asians and jews "more intelligent"? Their physical difference? It's funny how some people make that simplistic and flawed relation, likely they are not that intelligent.

Funny thing about racialists is that they claim the science is in favor of their ideology, their stance is not that much different from creationists. Pretty much they seem to rely on a conspiracy theory, what other choice would they have anyway?

They have been shown to be intelligent over years and years of research , the gap is still their between Jews and Asians.
Read this book

Creationist's don't use science , if they did they would already be converted after the reason that it's just unjustified pseudobabble therefore your comparison is inconsistent.

I'm pretty sure that science is conspiracy theory ( sarcasm ) - read the scientific method

Last edited by DuneyBlues on 15 Apr 2012, 1:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.

DuneyBlues
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Apr 2012, 11:50 am

flipflopjenkins wrote:
Declension wrote:
"Racial realists" are white people who desperately want certain things to be true.

White liberal race-deniers are people who desperately want certain things to be true for their own comfort and peace of mind.

Declension wrote:
Their lives are not very interesting, and so they have fantasies that there is a hierarchy of races based on intelligence and that their race is near the top. In this way, they can feel like they are a part of something interesting, a part of a "team" larger than themselves.

Many white liberal race-deniers on the other hand are people cannot bear the idea of belonging to a team that they were born into, because that might imply that there is some sort of competition going on, and they would then be expected to pull their weight as part of that team, and they would then be shown up for the weaklings that they are. White liberals are like the scrawny kids who get picked last for games and then take a pleasure in every setback their own team suffers. They comfort themselves by talking about all humanity, and convincing themselves that all humanity is progressing as surely as night follows day. If they display any partisan tendencies, they display them towards things like political parties - then they can just change their minds when the going gets tough.

Declension wrote:
Unfortunately, other white people don't actually like them very much. They pretend that the reason that other white people do not like them is that other white people have been brainwashed and need to be "woken up".

In addition to the subset of white liberal race-deniers who are self-centred weaklings, there is an overlapping subset who consist of people who stick their fingers in the air, find out which way the wind is blowing, and then follow. If the wind changed, they would change with it, but they declare that anyone who moves against the wind is ignorant, needs to be educated, and is standing in the way of progress.

The fact that the professed racial views among so many in, say, the United States, have turned around 180 degrees within 50 years simply is a testament to the fact that the masses do not think for themselves, regardless of whether you believe the majority today are right or whether you believe the majority 50 years ago were right. That's just the way it is - the obedience of the masses is something that helps keep society cohesive and civilized ... under the right conditions.

Declension wrote:
I don't know if I would describe them as "racists". I think that I would describe them as "sad".

We should send Declension off to Sri Lanka or Kashmir or Sudan. He could tell the people there how "sad" they are to care whether or not their own team prevails. I'm sure with his great wisdom he could solve their problems within weeks.

Declension wrote:
Joker wrote:
Hmm lets see their have been Italian Black and Mexican raical realists not just white people

You have to remember that
(a) the vast majority of self-described "racial realists" are white

If this is true, it is because in most non-western countries, race-realism comes so naturally to non-whites that it does not even warrant a name, whereas in western countries, non-whites have little incentive to promote race-realism and every incentive to promote race-denial. Of course, race-denial does not stop non-whites forming their own advocacy groups (so that those socially constructed blacks who don't really exist can protect themselves against those socially constructed whites who don't really exist - or something).

Declension wrote:
So you don't need to believe that your race is at the top in order to achieve a sick pleasure out of being a racial realist. You only need to believe that some races are under you.

With their squeamishness about this subject, race-deniers show themselves to be place greater importance on IQ than the race-realists they complain about. Person A could have a higher IQ than person B and still be inferior according to a whole host of other criteria.

What on earth is so sick about believing that your own group scores more highly on some criteria than some other groups? You just need to apply this logic at the individual level to see how ridiculous it is.

For example, do you Declension believe yourself to have a higher IQ than at least some other people on this planet? Do you think there are some other things that you also do better than at least some other people? Do you think you have certain unique characteristics as an individual? Do you have value to yourself because you are you and not someone else? And can I call you sick if you answered yes to any of these questions?

The Psychology of Modern Leftism

10. By "feelings of inferiority" we mean not only inferiority feelings in the strictest sense but a whole spectrum of related traits: low self-esteem, feelings of powerlessness, depressive tendencies, defeatism, guilt, self-hatred, etc. We argue that modern leftists tend to have such feelings (possibly more or less repressed) and that these feelings are decisive in determining the direction of modern leftism.

11. When someone interprets as derogatory almost anything that is said about him (or about groups with whom he identifies) we conclude that he has inferiority feelings or low self-esteem. This tendency is pronounced among minority rights advocates, whether or not they belong to the minority groups whose rights they defend. They are hypersensitive about the words used to designate minorities. The terms "negro," "oriental," "handicapped" or "chick" for an African, an Asian, a disabled person or a woman originally had no derogatory connotation. "Broad" and "chick" were merely the feminine equivalents of "guy," "dude" or "fellow." The negative connotations have been attached to these terms by the activists themselves. Some animal rights advocates have gone so far as to reject the word "pet" and insist on its replacement by "animal companion." Leftist anthropologists go to great lengths to avoid saying anything about primitive peoples that could conceivably be interpreted as negative. They want to replace the word "primitive" by "nonliterate." They seem almost paranoid about anything that might suggest that any primitive culture is inferior to our own. (We do not mean to imply that primitive cultures ARE inferior to ours. We merely point out the hypersensitivity of leftish anthropologists.)

12. Those who are most sensitive about "politically incorrect" terminology are not the average black ghetto-dweller, Asian immigrant, abused woman or disabled person, but a minority of activists, many of whom do not even belong to any "oppressed" group but come from privileged strata of society. Political correctness has its stronghold among university professors, who have secure employment with comfortable salaries, and the majority of whom are heterosexual, white males from middle-class families.

13. Many leftists have an intense identification with the problems of groups that have an image of being weak (women), defeated (American Indians), repellent (homosexuals), or otherwise inferior. The leftists themselves feel that these groups are inferior. They would never admit it to themselves that they have such feelings, but it is precisely because they do see these groups as inferior that they identify with their problems. (We do not suggest that women, Indians, etc., ARE inferior; we are only making a point about leftist psychology).

14. Feminists are desperately anxious to prove that women are as strong as capable as men. Clearly they are nagged by a fear that women may NOT be as strong and as capable as men.

15. Leftists tend to hate anything that has an image of being strong, good and successful. They hate America, they hate Western civilization, they hate white males, they hate rationality. The reasons that leftists give for hating the West, etc. clearly do not correspond with their real motives. They SAY they hate the West because it is warlike, imperialistic, sexist, ethnocentric and so forth, but where these same faults appear in socialist countries or in primitive cultures, the leftist finds excuses for them, or at best he GRUDGINGLY admits that they exist; whereas he ENTHUSIASTICALLY points out (and often greatly exaggerates) these faults where they appear in Western civilization. Thus it is clear that these faults are not the leftist's real motive for hating America and the West. He hates America and the West because they are strong and successful.

16. Words like "self-confidence," "self-reliance," "initiative", "enterprise," "optimism," etc. play little role in the liberal and leftist vocabulary. The leftist is anti-individualistic, pro-collectivist. He wants society to solve everyone's needs for them, take care of them. He is not the sort of person who has an inner sense of confidence in his own ability to solve his own problems and satisfy his own needs. The leftist is antagonistic to the concept of competition because, deep inside, he feels like a loser.

17. Art forms that appeal to modern leftist intellectuals tend to focus on sordidness, defeat and despair, or else they take an orgiastic tone, throwing off rational control as if there were no hope of accomplishing anything through rational calculation and all that was left was to immerse oneself in the sensations of the moment.

18. Modern leftist philosophers tend to dismiss reason, science, objective reality and to insist that everything is culturally relative. It is true that one can ask serious questions about the foundations of scientific knowledge and about how, if at all, the concept of objective reality can be defined. But it is obvious that modern leftist philosophers are not simply cool-headed logicians systematically analyzing the foundations of knowledge. They are deeply involved emotionally in their attack on truth and reality. They attack these concepts because of their own psychological needs. For one thing, their attack is an outlet for hostility, and, to the extent that it is successful, it satisfies the drive for power. More importantly, the leftist hates science and rationality because they classify certain beliefs as true (i.e., successful, superior) and other beliefs as false (i.e. failed, inferior). The leftist's feelings of inferiority run so deep that he cannot tolerate any classification of some things as successful or superior and other things as failed or inferior. This also underlies the rejection by many leftists of the concept of mental illness and of the utility of IQ tests. Leftists are antagonistic to genetic explanations of human abilities or behavior because such explanations tend to make some persons appear superior or inferior to others. Leftists prefer to give society the credit or blame for an individual's ability or lack of it. Thus if a person is "inferior" it is not his fault, but society's, because he has not been brought up properly.

19. The leftist is not typically the kind of person whose feelings of inferiority make him a braggart, an egotist, a bully, a self-promoter, a ruthless competitor. This kind of person has not wholly lost faith in himself. He has a deficit in his sense of power and self-worth, but he can still conceive of himself as having the capacity to be strong, and his efforts to make himself strong produce his unpleasant behavior. [1] But the leftist is too far gone for that. His feelings of inferiority are so ingrained that he cannot conceive of himself as individually strong and valuable. Hence the collectivism of the leftist. He can feel strong only as a member of a large organization or a mass movement with which he identifies himself.

20. Notice the masochistic tendency of leftist tactics. Leftists protest by lying down in front of vehicles, they intentionally provoke police or racists to abuse them, etc. These tactics may often be effective, but many leftists use them not as a means to an end but because they PREFER masochistic tactics. Self-hatred is a leftist trait.

21. Leftists may claim that their activism is motivated by compassion or by moral principle, and moral principle does play a role for the leftist of the oversocialized type. But compassion and moral principle cannot be the main motives for leftist activism. Hostility is too prominent a component of leftist behavior; so is the drive for power. Moreover, much leftist behavior is not rationally calculated to be of benefit to the people whom the leftists claim to be trying to help. For example, if one believes that affirmative action is good for black people, does it make sense to demand affirmative action in hostile or dogmatic terms? Obviously it would be more productive to take a diplomatic and conciliatory approach that would make at least verbal and symbolic concessions to white people who think that affirmative action discriminates against them. But leftist activists do not take such an approach because it would not satisfy their emotional needs. Helping black people is not their real goal. Instead, race problems serve as an excuse for them to express their own hostility and frustrated need for power. In doing so they actually harm black people, because the activists' hostile attitude toward the white majority tends to intensify race hatred.

22. If our society had no social problems at all, the leftists would have to INVENT problems in order to provide themselves with an excuse for making a fuss.

23. We emphasize that the foregoing does not pretend to be an accurate description of everyone who might be considered a leftist. It is only a rough indication of a general tendency of leftism.

OVERSOCIALIZATION

24. Psychologists use the term "socialization" to designate the process by which children are trained to think and act as society demands. A person is said to be well socialized if he believes in and obeys the moral code of his society and fits in well as a functioning part of that society. It may seem senseless to say that many leftists are over-socialized, since the leftist is perceived as a rebel. Nevertheless, the position can be defended. Many leftists are not such rebels as they seem.

25. The moral code of our society is so demanding that no one can think, feel and act in a completely moral way. For example, we are not supposed to hate anyone, yet almost everyone hates somebody at some time or other, whether he admits it to himself or not. Some people are so highly socialized that the attempt to think, feel and act morally imposes a severe burden on them. In order to avoid feelings of guilt, they continually have to deceive themselves about their own motives and find moral explanations for feelings and actions that in reality have a non-moral origin. We use the term "oversocialized" to describe such people. [2]

26. Oversocialization can lead to low self-esteem, a sense of powerlessness, defeatism, guilt, etc. One of the most important means by which our society socializes children is by making them feel ashamed of behavior or speech that is contrary to society's expectations. If this is overdone, or if a particular child is especially susceptible to such feelings, he ends by feeling ashamed of HIMSELF. Moreover the thought and the behavior of the oversocialized person are more restricted by society's expectations than are those of the lightly socialized person. The majority of people engage in a significant amount of naughty behavior. They lie, they commit petty thefts, they break traffic laws, they goof off at work, they hate someone, they say spiteful things or they use some underhanded trick to get ahead of the other guy. The oversocialized person cannot do these things, or if he does do them he generates in himself a sense of shame and self-hatred. The oversocialized person cannot even experience, without guilt, thoughts or feelings that are contrary to the accepted morality; he cannot think "unclean" thoughts. And socialization is not just a matter of morality; we are socialized to confirm to many norms of behavior that do not fall under the heading of morality. Thus the oversocialized person is kept on a psychological leash and spends his life running on rails that society has laid down for him. In many oversocialized people this results in a sense of constraint and powerlessness that can be a severe hardship. We suggest that oversocialization is among the more serious cruelties that human beings inflict on one another.

27. We argue that a very important and influential segment of the modern left is oversocialized and that their oversocialization is of great importance in determining the direction of modern leftism. Leftists of the oversocialized type tend to be intellectuals or members of the upper-middle class. Notice that university intellectuals [3] constitute the most highly socialized segment of our society and also the most left-wing segment.

28. The leftist of the oversocialized type tries to get off his psychological leash and assert his autonomy by rebelling. But usually he is not strong enough to rebel against the most basic values of society. Generally speaking, the goals of today's leftists are NOT in conflict with the accepted morality. On the contrary, the left takes an accepted moral principle, adopts it as its own, and then accuses mainstream society of violating that principle. Examples: racial equality, equality of the sexes, helping poor people, peace as opposed to war, nonviolence generally, freedom of expression, kindness to animals. More fundamentally, the duty of the individual to serve society and the duty of society to take care of the individual. All these have been deeply rooted values of our society (or at least of its middle and upper classes (4) for a long time. These values are explicitly or implicitly expressed or presupposed in most of the material presented to us by the mainstream communications media and the educational system. Leftists, especially those of the oversocialized type, usually do not rebel against these principles but justify their hostility to society by claiming (with some degree of truth) that society is not living up to these principles.

29. Here is an illustration of the way in which the oversocialized leftist shows his real attachment to the conventional attitudes of our society while pretending to be in rebellion against it. Many leftists push for affirmative action, for moving black people into high-prestige jobs, for improved education in black schools and more money for such schools; the way of life of the black "underclass" they regard as a social disgrace. They want to integrate the black man into the system, make him a business executive, a lawyer, a scientist just like upper-middle-class white people. The leftists will reply that the last thing they want is to make the black man into a copy of the white man; instead, they want to preserve African American culture. But in what does this preservation of African American culture consist? It can hardly consist in anything more than eating black-style food, listening to black-style music, wearing black-style clothing and going to a black-style church or mosque. In other words, it can express itself only in superficial matters. In all ESSENTIAL respects more leftists of the oversocialized type want to make the black man conform to white, middle-class ideals. They want to make him study technical subjects, become an executive or a scientist, spend his life climbing the status ladder to prove that black people are as good as white. They want to make black fathers "responsible." they want black gangs to become nonviolent, etc. But these are exactly the values of the industrial-technological system. The system couldn't care less what kind of music a man listens to, what kind of clothes he wears or what religion he believes in as long as he studies in school, holds a respectable job, climbs the status ladder, is a "responsible" parent, is nonviolent and so forth. In effect, however much he may deny it, the oversocialized leftist wants to integrate the black man into the system and make him adopt its values.

30. We certainly do not claim that leftists, even of the oversocialized type, NEVER rebel against the fundamental values of our society. Clearly they sometimes do. Some oversocialized leftists have gone so far as to rebel against one of modern society's most important principles by engaging in physical violence. By their own account, violence is for them a form of "liberation." In other words, by committing violence they break through the psychological restraints that have been trained into them. Because they are oversocialized these restraints have been more confining for them than for others; hence their need to break free of them. But they usually justify their rebellion in terms of mainstream values. If they engage in violence they claim to be fighting against racism or the like.

31. We realize that many objections could be raised to the foregoing thumb-nail sketch of leftist psychology. The real situation is complex, and anything like a complete description of it would take several volumes even if the necessary data were available. We claim only to have indicated very roughly the two most important tendencies in the psychology of modern leftism.

32. The problems of the leftist are indicative of the problems of our society as a whole. Low self-esteem, depressive tendencies and defeatism are not restricted to the left. Though they are especially noticeable in the left, they are widespread in our society. And today's society tries to socialize us to a greater extent than any previous society. We are even told by experts how to eat, how to exercise, how to make love, how to raise our kids and so forth.

THE POWER PROCESS

33. Human beings have a need (probably based in biology) for something that we will call the "power process." This is closely related to the need for power (which is widely recognized) but is not quite the same thing. The power process has four elements. The three most clear-cut of these we call goal, effort and attainment of goal. (Everyone needs to have goals whose attainment requires effort, and needs to succeed in attaining at least some of his goals.) The fourth element is more difficult to define and may not be necessary for everyone. We call it autonomy and will discuss it later (paragraphs 42-44).

34. Consider the hypothetical case of a man who can have anything he wants just by wishing for it. Such a man has power, but he will develop serious psychological problems. At first he will have a lot of fun, but by and by he will become acutely bored and demoralized. Eventually he may become clinically depressed. History shows that leisured aristocracies tend to become decadent. This is not true of fighting aristocracies that have to struggle to maintain their power. But leisured, secure aristocracies that have no need to exert themselves usually become bored, hedonistic and demoralized, even though they have power. This shows that power is not enough. One must have goals toward which to exercise one's power.

35. Everyone has goals; if nothing else, to obtain the physical necessities of life: food, water and whatever clothing and shelter are made necessary by the climate. But the leisured aristocrat obtains these things without effort. Hence his boredom and demoralization.

36. Nonattainment of important goals results in death if the goals are physical necessities, and in frustration if nonattainment of the goals is compatible with survival. Consistent failure to attain goals throughout life results in defeatism, low self-esteem or depression.

37. Thus, in order to avoid serious psychological problems, a human being needs goals whose attainment requires effort, and he must have a reasonable rate of success in attaining his goals.

SOURCES OF SOCIAL PROBLEMS

45. Any of the foregoing symptoms can occur in any society, but in modern industrial society they are present on a massive scale. We aren't the first to mention that the world today seems to be going crazy. This sort of thing is not normal for human societies. There is good reason to believe that primitive man suffered from less stress and frustration and was better satisfied with his way of life than modern man is. It is true that not all was sweetness and light in primitive societies. Abuse of women and children was common among the Australian aborigines, transsexuality was fairly common among some of the American Indian tribes. But it does appear that GENERALLY SPEAKING the kinds of problems that we have listed in the preceding paragraph were far less common among primitive peoples than they are in modern society.

46. We attribute the social and psychological problems of modern society to the fact that that society requires people to live under conditions radically different from those under which the human race evolved and to behave in ways that conflict with the patterns of behavior that the human race developed while living under the earlier conditions. It is clear from what we have already written that we consider lack of opportunity to properly experience the power process as the most important of the abnormal conditions to which modern society subjects people. But it is not the only one. Before dealing with disruption of the power process as a source of social problems we will discuss some of the other sources.

47. Among the abnormal conditions present in modern industrial society are excessive density of population, isolation of man from nature, excessive rapidity of social change and the break-down of natural small-scale communities such as the extended family, the village or the tribe.

48. It is well known that crowding increases stress and aggression. The degree of crowding that exists today and the isolation of man from nature are consequences of technological progress. All pre-industrial societies were predominantly rural. The industrial Revolution vastly increased the size of cities and the proportion of the population that lives in them, and modern agricultural technology has made it possible for the Earth to support a far denser population than it ever did before. (Also, technology exacerbates the effects of crowding because it puts increased disruptive powers in people's hands. For example, a variety of noise-making devices: power mowers, radios, motorcycles, etc. If the use of these devices is unrestricted, people who want peace and quiet are frustrated by the noise. If their use is restricted, people who use the devices are frustrated by the regulations... But if these machines had never been invented there would have been no conflict and no frustration generated by them.)

49. For primitive societies the natural world (which usually changes only slowly) provided a stable framework and therefore a sense of security. In the modern world it is human society that dominates nature rather than the other way around, and modern society changes very rapidly owing to technological change. Thus there is no stable framework.

50. The conservatives are fools: They whine about the decay of traditional values, yet they enthusiastically support technological progress and economic growth. Apparently it never occurs to them that you can't make rapid, drastic changes in the technology and the economy of a society with out causing rapid changes in all other aspects of the society as well, and that such rapid changes inevitably break down traditional values.

51. The breakdown of traditional values to some extent implies the breakdown of the bonds that hold together traditional small-scale social groups. The disintegration of small-scale social groups is also promoted by the fact that modern conditions often require or tempt individuals to move to new locations, separating themselves from their communities. Beyond that, a technological society HAS TO weaken family ties and local communities if it is to function efficiently. In modern society an individual's loyalty must be first to the system and only secondarily to a small-scale community, because if the internal loyalties of small-scale communities were stronger than loyalty to the system, such communities would pursue their own advantage at the expense of the system.

52. Suppose that a public official or a corporation executive appoints his cousin, his friend or his co-religionist to a position rather than appointing the person best qualified for the job. He has permitted personal loyalty to supersede his loyalty to the system, and that is "nepotism" or "discrimination," both of which are terrible sins in modern society. Would-be industrial societies that have done a poor job of subordinating personal or local loyalties to loyalty to the system are usually very inefficient. (Look at Latin America.) Thus an advanced industrial society can tolerate only those small-scale communities that are emasculated, tamed and made into tools of the system. [7]

53. Crowding, rapid change and the breakdown of communities have been widely recognized as sources of social problems. but we do not believe they are enough to account for the extent of the problems that are seen today.

54. A few pre-industrial cities were very large and crowded, yet their inhabitants do not seem to have suffered from psychological problems to the same extent as modern man. In America today there still are uncrowded rural areas, and we find there the same problems as in urban areas, though the problems tend to be less acute in the rural areas. Thus crowding does not seem to be the decisive factor.

55. On the growing edge of the American frontier during the 19th century, the mobility of the population probably broke down extended families and small-scale social groups to at least the same extent as these are broken down today. In fact, many nuclear families lived by choice in such isolation, having no neighbors within several miles, that they belonged to no community at all, yet they do not seem to have developed problems as a result.

56. Furthermore, change in American frontier society was very rapid and deep. A man might be born and raised in a log cabin, outside the reach of law and order and fed largely on wild meat; and by the time he arrived at old age he might be working at a regular job and living in an ordered community with effective law enforcement. This was a deeper change than that which typically occurs in the life of a modern individual, yet it does not seem to have led to psychological problems. In fact, 19th century American society had an optimistic and self-confident tone, quite unlike that of today's society. [8]

57. The difference, we argue, is that modern man has the sense (largely justified) that change is IMPOSED on him, whereas the 19th century frontiersman had the sense (also largely justified) that he created change himself, by his own choice. Thus a pioneer settled on a piece of land of his own choosing and made it into a farm through his own effort. In those days an entire county might have only a couple of hundred inhabitants and was a far more isolated and autonomous entity than a modern county is. Hence the pioneer farmer participated as a member of a relatively small group in the creation of a new, ordered community. One may well question whether the creation of this community was an improvement, but at any rate it satisfied the pioneer's need for the power process.

58. It would be possible to give other examples of societies in which there has been rapid change and/or lack of close community ties without he kind of massive behavioral aberration that is seen in today's industrial society. We contend that the most important cause of social and psychological problems in modern society is the fact that people have insufficient opportunity to go through the power process in a normal way. We don't mean to say that modern society is the only one in which the power process has been disrupted. Probably most if not all civilized societies have interfered with the power process to a greater or lesser extent. But in modern industrial society the problem has become particularly acute. Leftism, at least in its recent (mid-to-late -20th century) form, is in part a symptom of deprivation with respect to the power process.

DISRUPTION OF THE POWER PROCESS IN MODERN SOCIETY

59. We divide human drives into three groups: (1) those drives that can be satisfied with minimal effort; (2) those that can be satisfied but only at the cost of serious effort; (3) those that cannot be adequately satisfied no matter how much effort one makes. The power process is the process of satisfying the drives of the second group. The more drives there are in the third group, the more there is frustration, anger, eventually defeatism, depression, etc.

60. In modern industrial society natural human drives tend to be pushed into the first and third groups, and the second group tends to consist increasingly of artificially created drives.

61. In primitive societies, physical necessities generally fall into group 2: They can be obtained, but only at the cost of serious effort. But modern society tends to guaranty the physical necessities to everyone [9] in exchange for only minimal effort, hence physical needs are pushed into group 1. (There may be disagreement about whether the effort needed to hold a job is "minimal"; but usually, in lower- to middle-level jobs, whatever effort is required is merely that of obedience. You sit or stand where you are told to sit or stand and do what you are told to do in the way you are told to do it. Seldom do you have to exert yourself seriously, and in any case you have hardly any autonomy in work, so that the need for the power process is not well served.)

62. Social needs, such as sex, love and status, often remain in group 2 in modern society, depending on the situation of the individual. [10] But, except for people who have a particularly strong drive for status, the effort required to fulfill the social drives is insufficient to satisfy adequately the need for the power process.

63. So certain artificial needs have been created that fall into group 2, hence serve the need for the power process. Advertising and marketing techniques have been developed that make many people feel they need things that their grandparents never desired or even dreamed of. It requires serious effort to earn enough money to satisfy these artificial needs, hence they fall into group 2. (But see paragraphs 80-82.) Modern man must satisfy his need for the power process largely through pursuit of the artificial needs created by the advertising and marketing industry [11], and through surrogate activities.

64. It seems that for many people, maybe the majority, these artificial forms of the power process are insufficient. A theme that appears repeatedly in the writings of the social critics of the second half of the 20th century is the sense of purposelessness that afflicts many people in modern society. (This purposelessness is often called by other names such as "anomic" or "middle-class vacuity.") We suggest that the so-called "identity crisis" is actually a search for a sense of purpose, often for commitment to a suitable surrogate activity. It may be that existentialism is in large part a response to the purposelessness of modern life. [12] Very widespread in modern society is the search for "fulfillment." But we think that for the majority of people an activity whose main goal is fulfillment (that is, a surrogate activity) does not bring completely satisfactory fulfillment. In other words, it does not fully satisfy the need for the power process. (See paragraph 41.) That need can be fully satisfied only through activities that have some external goal, such as physical necessities, sex, love, status, revenge, etc.

65. Moreover, where goals are pursued through earning money, climbing the status ladder or functioning as part of the system in some other way, most people are not in a position to pursue their goals AUTONOMOUSLY. Most workers are someone else's employee as, as we pointed out in paragraph 61, must spend their days doing what they are told to do in the way they are told to do it. Even most people who are in business for themselves have only limited autonomy. It is a chronic complaint of small-business persons and entrepreneurs that their hands are tied by excessive government regulation. Some of these regulations are doubtless unnecessary, but for the most part government regulations are essential and inevitable parts of our extremely complex society. A large portion of small business today operates on the franchise system. It was reported in the Wall Street Journal a few years ago that many of the franchise-granting companies require applicants for franchises to take a personality test that is designed to EXCLUDE those who have creativity and initiative, because such persons are not sufficiently docile to go along obediently with the franchise system. This excludes from small business many of the people who most need autonomy.

66. Today people live more by virtue of what the system does FOR them or TO them than by virtue of what they do for themselves. And what they do for themselves is done more and more along channels laid down by the system. Opportunities tend to be those that the system provides, the opportunities must be exploited in accord with the rules and regulations [13], and techniques prescribed by experts must be followed if there is to be a chance of success.

67. Thus the power process is disrupted in our society through a deficiency of real goals and a deficiency of autonomy in pursuit of goals. But it is also disrupted because of those human drives that fall into group 3: the drives that one cannot adequately satisfy no matter how much effort one makes. One of these drives is the need for security. Our lives depend on decisions made by other people; we have no control over these decisions and usually we do not even know the people who make them. ("We live in a world in which relatively few people - maybe 500 or 1,000 - make the important decisions" - Philip B. Heymann of Harvard Law School, quoted by Anthony Lewis, New York Times, April 21, 1995.) Our lives depend on whether safety standards at a nuclear power plant are properly maintained; on how much pesticide is allowed to get into our food or how much pollution into our air; on how skillful (or incompetent) our doctor is; whether we lose or get a job may depend on decisions made by government economists or corporation executives; and so forth. Most individuals are not in a position to secure themselves against these threats to more [than] a very limited extent. The individual's search for security is therefore frustrated, which leads to a sense of powerlessness.

68. It may be objected that primitive man is physically less secure than modern man, as is shown by his shorter life expectancy; hence modern man suffers from less, not more than the amount of insecurity that is normal for human beings. But psychological security does not closely correspond with physical security. What makes us FEEL secure is not so much objective security as a sense of confidence in our ability to take care of ourselves. Primitive man, threatened by a fierce animal or by hunger, can fight in self-defense or travel in search of food. He has no certainty of success in these efforts, but he is by no means helpless against the things that threaten him. The modern individual on the other hand is threatened by many things against which he is helpless; nuclear accidents, carcinogens in food, environmental pollution, war, increasing taxes, invasion of his privacy by large organizations, nation-wide social or economic phenomena that may disrupt his way of life.

69. It is true that primitive man is powerless against some of the things that threaten him; disease for example. But he can accept the risk of disease stoically. It is part of the nature of things, it is no one's fault, unless it is the fault of some imaginary, impersonal demon. But threats to the modern individual tend to be MAN-MADE. They are not the results of chance but are IMPOSED on him by other persons whose decisions he, as an individual, is unable to influence. Consequently he feels frustrated, humiliated and angry.

70. Thus primitive man for the most part has his security in his own hands (either as an individual or as a member of a SMALL group) whereas the security of modern man is in the hands of persons or organizations that are too remote or too large for him to be able personally to influence them. So modern man's drive for security tends to fall into groups 1 and 3; in some areas (food, shelter, etc.) his security is assured at the cost of only trivial effort, whereas in other areas he CANNOT attain security. (The foregoing greatly simplifies the real situation, but it does indicate in a rough, general way how the condition of modern man differs from that of primitive man.)

71. People have many transitory drives or impulses that are necessary frustrated in modern life, hence fall into group 3. One may become angry, but modern society cannot permit fighting. In many situations it does not even permit verbal aggression. When going somewhere one may be in a hurry, or one may be in a mood to travel slowly, but one generally has no choice but to move with the flow of traffic and obey the traffic signals. One may want to do one's work in a different way, but usually one can work only according to the rules laid down by one's employer. In many other ways as well, modern man is strapped down by a network of rules and regulations (explicit or implicit) that frustrate many of his impulses and thus interfere with the power process. Most of these regulations cannot be disposed with, because the are necessary for the functioning of industrial society.

72. Modern society is in certain respects extremely permissive. In matters that are irrelevant to the functioning of the system we can generally do what we please. We can believe in any religion we like (as long as it does not encourage behavior that is dangerous to the system). We can go to bed with anyone we like (as long as we practice "safe sex"). We can do anything we like as long as it is UNIMPORTANT. But in all IMPORTANT matters the system tends increasingly to regulate our behavior.

73. Behavior is regulated not only through explicit rules and not only by the government. Control is often exercised through indirect coercion or through psychological pressure or manipulation, and by organizations other than the government, or by the system as a whole. Most large organizations use some form of propaganda [14] to manipulate public attitudes or behavior. Propaganda is not limited to "commercials" and advertisements, and sometimes it is not even consciously intended as propaganda by the people who make it. For instance, the content of entertainment programming is a powerful form of propaganda. An example of indirect coercion: There is no law that says we have to go to work every day and follow our employer's orders. Legally there is nothing to prevent us from going to live in the wild like primitive people or from going into business for ourselves. But in practice there is very little wild country left, and there is room in the economy for only a limited number of small business owners. Hence most of us can survive only as someone else's employee.

74. We suggest that modern man's obsession with longevity, and with maintaining physical vigor and sexual attractiveness to an advanced age, is a symptom of unfulfillment resulting from deprivation with respect to the power process. The "mid-life crisis" also is such a symptom. So is the lack of interest in having children that is fairly common in modern society but almost unheard-of in primitive societies.

75. In primitive societies life is a succession of stages. The needs and purposes of one stage having been fulfilled, there is no particular reluctance about passing on to the next stage. A young man goes through the power process by becoming a hunter, hunting not for sport or for fulfillment but to get meat that is necessary for food. (In young women the process is more complex, with greater emphasis on social power; we won't discuss that here.) This phase having been successfully passed through, the young man has no reluctance about settling down to the responsibilities of raising a family. (In contrast, some modern people indefinitely postpone having children because they are too busy seeking some kind of "fulfillment." We suggest that the fulfillment they need is adequate experience of the power process -- with real goals instead of the artificial goals of surrogate activities.) Again, having successfully raised his children, going through the power process by providing them with the physical necessities, the primitive man feels that his work is done and he is prepared to accept old age (if he survives that long) and death. Many modern people, on the other hand, are disturbed by the prospect of death, as is shown by the amount of effort they expend trying to maintain their physical condition, appearance and health. We argue that this is due to unfulfillment resulting from the fact that they have never put their physical powers to any use, have never gone through the power process using their bodies in a serious way. It is not the primitive man, who has used his body daily for practical purposes, who fears the deterioration of age, but the modern man, who has never had a practical use for his body beyond walking from his car to his house. It is the man whose need for the power process has been satisfied during his life who is best prepared to accept the end of that life.

76. In response to the arguments of this section someone will say, "Society must find a way to give people the opportunity to go through the power process." For such people the value of the opportunity is destroyed by the very fact that society gives it to them. What they need is to find or make their own opportunities. As long as the system GIVES them their opportunities it still has them on a leash. To attain autonomy they must get off that leash.

FINAL NOTE

231. Throughout this article we've made imprecise statements and statements that ought to have had all sorts of qualifications and reservations attached to them; and some of our statements may be flatly false. Lack of sufficient information and the need for brevity made it impossible for us to formulate our assertions more precisely or add all the necessary qualifications. And of course in a discussion of this kind one must rely heavily on intuitive judgment, and that can sometimes be wrong. So we don't claim that this article expresses more than a crude approximation to the truth.

232. All the same we are reasonably confident that the general outlines of the picture we have painted here are roughly correct. We have portrayed leftism in its modern form as a phenomenon peculiar to our time and as a symptom of the disruption of the power process. But we might possibly be wrong about this. Oversocialized types who try to satisfy their drive for power by imposing their morality on everyone have certainly been around for a long time. But we THINK that the decisive role played by feelings of inferiority, low self-esteem, powerlessness, identification with victims by people who are not themselves victims, is a peculiarity of modern leftism. Identification with victims by people not themselves victims can be seen to some extent in 19th century leftism and early Christianity but as far as we can make out, symptoms of low self-esteem, etc., were not nearly so evident in these movements, or in any other movements, as they are in modern leftism. But we are not in a position to assert confidently that no such movements have existed prior to modern leftism. This is a significant question to which historians ought to give their attention.

Comments on sanity:

On criticism of "leftism"

His views on leftism are sound and insightful, and nowadays shared by many who oppose political correctness. Those opponents typically do not reject large-scale technology as the Unabomber does though, on the contrary. This paradox is resolved by assuming the Unabomber's rejection of technology is irrational and related to a mental illness.

Less convincing are the Unabomber's attempts to connect his criticism of leftism to his criticism of technology, for instance by claiming people become leftists because their power process is disrupted by technological society. There, he is trying to artificially connect two types of criticism that are really independent; he his trying to artificially connect a sound criticism (leftism) to a largely unsound one (technology).

Paradoxical are also the Unabomber's "green" views on environmental issues; such views are common for leftists, so he is siding with the enemy there. This has to do with his preference for primitive life, which in turn results from his rejection of technology. So again, the paradox is resolved by assuming this rejection is irrational.

Another paradox, solvable in the same way, is leftism's association with the "soft" alpha sciences. Leftists are no fans of the "hard" beta sciences that constitute technology. So again, in this respect the Unabomber sides with the enemy through his probably unsound rejection of technology.

There are more such paradoxes in the manifesto; generally put, his rejection of technology now and then leads him to viewpoints or conclusions that are leftist, in other words, that are in contradiction with his own criticsm of leftism.
On "the power process"

The concept of "the power process" is reminiscent of Maslow's hierarchy of needs. Remarkable is that the Unabomber only qualifies a very limited set of goals to truly serve the power process. From paragraph 64:

"That need can be fully satisfied only through activities that have some external goal, such as physical necessities, sex, love, status, revenge, etc."

Most goals striven for in modern society he dismisses as "surrogate activity" and "fulfillment". Interestingly he mentions status and revenge as genuine goals; I assume he includes those because he experienced his own strivings for status and revenge (the Unabomb activities and other revenge actions) as satisfying his power process.
On feelings of inferiority

A very interesting remark in paragraph 11, about leftists:

"When someone interprets as derogatory almost anything that is said about him [...] we conclude that he has inferiority feelings or low self-esteem."

The psychiatric report actually says about exactly the same about the Unabomber himself, but concludes something different, to wit that he is over-sensitive and paranoid.

DuneyBlues
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Apr 2012, 12:04 pm

Vigilans wrote:
abacacus wrote:
See, the thing is I'm actually a realist, I don't subscribe to crackpot theories about one race being better than another.

Different does not mean inferior or superior, it simply means different.

Racial realist is just a euphemism and its main advocates include men like David Duke. The point is "races" are not actually taxonomical subgroups so any attempt to make it sound scientific is simply incorrect. The implication of Racial realism is that what we think of as "races" are fundamentally different subgroups of Homo sapiens. Unfortunately that is not realism, that is stupidity motivated by malice, and profoundly unscientific. Acknowledging there are differences caused by genetic drift and geography does not make one a racial realist, unless you actually believe in the concept of race

“Anti-racism” is just a euphemism for anti-White racism.

First my other posts prove that we are fundamentally different subgroups of the homo sapiens , read those.

Read these posts that address your claim that supposed racism by science is unscientific:

http://unamusementpark.com/2011/04/scie ... ce-part-1/
http://unamusementpark.com/2011/04/scie ... ce-part-2/

Again , another ignorant Strawman argument "acknowledging there are differences caused by genetic drift and geography does not make one a racial realist".

Sigh , Here's the definition of Racial Realism:

Quote:
Racialism is belief in the existence and significance of racial differences, but not necessarily that any absolute hierarchy between the races has been demonstrated by a rigorous and comprehensive scientific process. Racialists usually reject some claims of racial superiority (see Supremacism), but may explicitly or implicitly subscribe to others, such as that races have acted in morally superior or inferior ways, at least in certain instances or periods of history.
- Wikipedia

Last edited by DuneyBlues on 15 Apr 2012, 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.