Page 6 of 10 [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Litguy
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2005, 6:34 am

eamonn wrote:
Your probably right Litguy, it would be better if we said i think rather than this IS but the whole point of debating is saying my strongest argument and even playing devil's advocate just to see how strong someones ideas or beliefs are and then decide whether i think there is something to that individuals arguments. I tend to say things like 'my belief is' and ' i read' etc but seing as no-one else seems to be using such pleasentries, i dont bother so much either. 'You are wrong but dont argue with me' wont win any debates.

If i as a single, not very powerful person can have my beliefs questioned, i dont see why an organised religion as big as christianity cant. It's no use saying 'questioning is good, question away' and then when i put forward questions and arguments then saying you are too sure of yourself for me to debate with you. My mind is open to changes in beliefs but i must admit that it is less so to anything supernatural like ghosts if i dont see it myself even holy ones.
I, for one, would rather involve myself in "discussion" than "debate" over such topics. Since religion is something which, in my opinion, is experienced rather than analyzed, I speak far too foreign a "language" on the subject to be treated with any respect here.

I meant no disrespect myself.

eamonn
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2005, 6:53 am

The good thing about experience is that it is yours and something that can help the individual grow (or not) and as long as it is put that way then i cant see how it should be too devisive. Id be interested to know what experiences have made the difference for you.

I have more respect for you as someone who has questioned their belief and came to an individual choice rather than someone who just always believed without truly questioning because that is what they where brought up with.

I do have a problem with the thought that 'non-believers' go to hell regardless of how good they are as individuals so if christianity and this assertion turned out to be true then id still shun it due to what i perceive to be injustice and a god that gave the majority of the population little chance to go to heaven. No disrepect taken from you as an individual or indeed most rational christians as opposed to the raging fundamentalists who act contrary to the teachings of Jesus in the bible.

Last edited by eamonn on 20 Oct 2005, 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

lenny77
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

Location: Hamburg, Germany, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Universe, ???

20 Oct 2005, 6:55 am

i'm not!
never was!
first radical atheist, now secular humanist (including atheist :))
bible says god made man
i (and i'm definately not alone) say: man made god(s)

i like the word deicid.
but the word makes no sense, since you cant kill something thats in one's mind...
but i like it anyway Image

Grievous
Toucan
Toucan

20 Oct 2005, 9:36 am

Quote:
I, for one, would rather involve myself in "discussion" than "debate" over such topics. Since religion is something which, in my opinion, is experienced rather than analyzed, I speak far too foreign a "language" on the subject to be treated with any respect here.

I meant no disrespect myself.

Agreed. I just have a desire to defend what I believe in. Perhaps we can have a discussion later. :D

Grievous
Toucan
Toucan

20 Oct 2005, 9:40 am

eamonn wrote:
I have more respect for you as someone who has questioned their belief and came to an individual choice rather than someone who just always believed without truly questioning because that is what they where brought up with.

Ironically, this is precisely where I am coming from.

eamonn
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2005, 10:31 am

Well i have an incey-wincey bit more respect for you. Now if you can only work up enough logic to leave religion altogether..... :P

Grievous
Toucan
Toucan

20 Oct 2005, 12:07 pm

Sorry, won't ever happen :D And since this has beome more of a philosophy duel. I'll bow out. 8) Peace.

Tim_p
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2005, 2:00 pm

eamonn wrote:
Tim_p wrote:

Matthew 28:19 wrote:
Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,

While i dont believe in christianity any more im just curious why dont the protestant churches do the sign of the cross?

You'll notice that the sign of the cross is never mentioned in the Bible in any form, we do baptize "in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit", we just don't have any hand motions to go with it.

eamonn
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2005, 2:19 pm

Yes the bible and all the christian churches have many contradictions and tweaking, adding on and rejection of scriptures so i was interested to know why the differences came about with regards to that and the fact that protestants here wear the cross with no Jesus but catholics wear a Jesus figure on their crosses. I suppose every church is a bit different so it is just a matter of how each church sees fit to implement Jesus' teachings and what scriptures they consider to implement as relevent in their different versions of the bible. Thanks for filling me in on the difference.

irishmic
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Oct 2005, 10:30 pm

The cross did not become a symbol for Christianity until Constantine.
There are story's about how Constantine saw a cross in the sky and heard a voice that said go and fight under this symbol.

On another note, does not the cross looks remarkably like a sword.

Litguy
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2005, 11:28 pm

eamonn wrote:
The good thing about experience is that it is yours and something that can help the individual grow (or not) and as long as it is put that way then i cant see how it should be too devisive. Id be interested to know what experiences have made the difference for you.

I do have a problem with the thought that 'non-believers' go to hell regardless of how good they are as individuals so if christianity and this assertion turned out to be true then id still shun it due to what i perceive to be injustice and a god that gave the majority of the population little chance to go to heaven. No disrepect taken from you as an individual or indeed most rational christians as opposed to the raging fundamentalists who act contrary to the teachings of Jesus in the bible.
First of all, it is the teaching of the Catholic Church, as it always has been, that anyone can go to Heaven. While those who seek righteousness in their lives might not consciously turn to God, they do so regardless. Therefore, those of any faith, or no faith, can still live in a way that is pleasing to God, thus being fit for the Kingdom of God. The Church does teach, however, that even this form of salvation comes from God through His church.

Now, let me tell you a story. I left the Church when I was in high school, around 1965. I was going to an all-boys Catholic prep school and I think I had had enough. I decided that my intelligence informed me that God was a fairy tale.

I went through undergraduate college, met all kinds of people, made few friends, lost my "innocence," looked into all sorts of spiritual philosohies including satanism (reading about it and having a girl friend who was also into reading about it).

In 1976, I met a group of people (the cast of a play I was in) that were among the best people I have ever known. I needed a friend and I found several there. A couple of them were very convicted Catholics.

Slowly, I began to explore different Churches. The Unitarian Church, various Protestant denominations, but I always found something missing.

By 1977, I found myself attending the local Roman Catholic Church (I had quite consciously decided that I would not end up there). I began to attend Sunday Mass, and a few weeks later, I picked out a priest and decided that I could talk to him. I attended a mass he was celebrating (they were listed in the weekly "bulletin"). As I sat there, I decided I would talk to him "some other week."

He began to read the Gospel, the parable of the Prodigal Son. I thanked God for using such a heavy club to knock me over the head.

I have experienced many such "coinicidences" in my life, some related to Church, others just connected to people I know. I have long ago abandoned believing in "coincidences."

I'm not very good at putting a face onto the Holy. What the hell, we aspies aren't good at putting faces onto anything, but I know what I have experienced.

Peace.

eamonn
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2005, 11:59 pm

Good story Litguy. My Dad was hunted down by rebels in the Congo (he was site foreman and machine operator but he stopped to help injured people and apparently he stopped to help the 'wrong side' and took them to hospital) he reckons he was saved by praying to God despite the fact bullets where sprayed all around him (sounds a bit like 'Pulp Fiction' actually.(ironically his friend and local worker who was shot down as he ran alongside my Dad getting him to keep up had a biblical name 'Moses'.) He has had a few run close calls but that was the first time he was targeted and needless to say that was his last stint of work in that area. Funnily enough the UN couldnt meet him where he was because of rebel activity in the area but they agreed to fly a helicopter in once he made it outside the 'hotspot'. I think he was just lucky though. I do believe in coincidences. :wink:

Litguy
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2005, 9:33 am

eamonn wrote:
Good story Litguy. My Dad was hunted down by rebels in the Congo (he was site foreman and machine operator but he stopped to help injured people and apparently he stopped to help the 'wrong side' and took them to hospital) he reckons he was saved by praying to God despite the fact bullets where sprayed all around him (sounds a bit like 'Pulp Fiction' actually.(ironically his friend and local worker who was shot down as he ran alongside my Dad getting him to keep up had a biblical name 'Moses'.) He has had a few run close calls but that was the first time he was targeted and needless to say that was his last stint of work in that area. Funnily enough the UN couldnt meet him where he was because of rebel activity in the area but they agreed to fly a helicopter in once he made it outside the 'hotspot'. I think he was just lucky though. I do believe in coincidences. :wink:
While, happily, I've never actually been shot at in the literal sense, there have been plenty of times when the bullets flew around me figuratively. There have been times in life when I have stepped back and wondered what I was saved for. When I look at the needs of my children, I wonder if that is not the answer.

irishmic
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Oct 2005, 11:24 pm

For those who like posting these scriptural references about many nations, it is important to note the the Jews had experienced two diaspora's by the time of Jesus, and were about to experience a third. Thus the Jews were spread out through many nations. The apostles were to go to the Jewish people in these nations and share the good news.

Soma
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Oct 2005, 1:59 am

A bullet has landed on this board. I'm sickened. "Why Jews don't believe in Jesus" Check it out. :evil: :evil: :evil:

Henry David Thoureau, 1854

kevv729
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2005, 5:16 am

Soma

Sorry to say not all believe in Jesus, they all have free will to choose what they want to believe in this WORLD, that is FREE WILL.

THOUGH I BELIEVE IN JESUS.