Page 7 of 7 [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

McJeff
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Nov 2006, 1:21 am

^^^I'm one of them.

Regardless of whether the Bible is the literal word of God, man's translation of God's word, or a bunch of plagarised myths, that doesn't change the fact that "Thou Shalt Not Kill" and "Thou Shalt Not Lie" are generally good ways to live one's life.

Xuincherguixe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2006, 4:52 am

I think the number one reason not to be a Christian is that people who call themselves Christians will get pissed off if you really embraced the ideas of Jesus.

Actually I don't know what the number one reason would be, but that's a good one.

Hans_Solo
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Nov 2006, 5:38 am

skafather84 wrote:
top ten reasons for not being a christian:

1. i didn't swing "that way" when i was younger and i still don't swing "that way" now.
2. there is no god
3. there is no god
4. there is no god
5. alcohol and marijuana are a better waste of money
6. there is no god
7. there is no god
8. jesus was one of many people claiming to be the messiah around that time period...messiahs were as common as elvis impersonators
9. there is no god
10. i'd rather die a permenant death than contribute to the hate that is institutionalized religion.

Well put.

Xenon
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2006, 8:44 am

I'm an atheist. Always have been. (I was never baptized, for instance.) My own view on religion is, "Whatever gets you through the day". A person can believe whatever they want to believe... just as long as they extend me the same courtesy.

Kahazidhea
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Nov 2006, 12:52 pm

*sighs audibly* The only thing people ever do on this section of the forum is bash each others beleifs without any respect, which makes this section pointless in my opinion since you're not going to get anywhere by insulting someones relegion. If you want to attack another person's belief, at least be civil about it. :roll:

Emettman
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2006, 1:33 pm

Kahazidhea wrote:
If you want to attack another person's belief, at least be civil about it. :roll:

I always have been, I think. I used to be a Christian, so I've seen it from both sides.

And I consider some other options worse:
To declare all beliefs sacrosanct, for example.
That could give some seriously unpleasant views immunity.

There is no inevitable reason why to test, yes even attack, a belief need imply an attack on the person who holds it. Poor argument, personal insults and generic denigration, however, do crop up too often and blur the distinction.

I've always assuned that:
First person to go Ad Hominem loses.
First person to universalise "All xxx are yyy" loses.
First person to use expletives or other derogatory terms loses.

a
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

13 Nov 2006, 2:28 pm

Just to say, i am absolutely appaled and sickened by this thread. Not all people with aspergers are the same, and i have aspergers and am a devoted christian. Sometimes it takes a while to understand religion, but i would not be here today if it wasn't for the lord.
I have memorised most of the new testament, and understand the meanings of everything too, alot of my christian brothers are very understanding and supportive when i am having trouble with my diffilcuties. And just to say to those neutral people do not listen to a word of this thread, it is one wicked lie. I find this very dishearting and upsetting to see this thread and this awful stereotype that people with aspergers can't understand religion must end NOW.

Emettman
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2006, 6:17 pm

a wrote:
...this awful stereotype that people with aspergers can't understand religion must end NOW.

Is there such a sterotype? I can't say I've come across it.
The spectrum of Asperger's appears to contain an almost equal spectrum of belief. (Perhaps with a higher proportion of freethinking and atheism than is the average in the USA, but that is away from the average in other developed countries).

I can understand religion: its formal content, its social function and its history.
I just no longer think it refers to any real, existent, external deity.

And welcome to WrongPlanet, by the way!