Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

frinj
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Jul 2009, 11:22 am

Imagine there is a boxn the inside of which you cannot see or otherwise sense in any way.

A theist is like a a person saying, "I believe there is a benevolent wizard in that box, because that's what shamans said thousands of years ago, and some of those shaman's writings survived to today and, hell, any notion that has survived over 2000 years must be true. Plus, every time anything coincidental happens, I figure it must be the wizard in the box because, afer all, coincidences are statistically impossible, right? Right?...."

An atheist, on the other hand, is like a person saying, "Since I cannot sense the inside of that box, I must assume nothing is in there until there is evidence to the contrary."

I think the flaws in the theist's logic are fairly obvious, so I'll focus on what I perceive to be the flaws in the atheist's logic.

Basically, I think the atheist thinks it is scientifically appropriate to assume the negative in the absence of knowledge to the contrary. However, even though we cannot sense the inside of the box, we CAN sense the outside of the box. The outside of the box is NOT empty. It is full of people and consciousness and love (and hate). I think the better scientific approach is, in the absence of knowledge, to assume the unknown is like the known. I call this the "law of similarities." The atheist's view seems premised on the "law of nothingness."

Anyway, I believe in the absence of knowledge, the more logically valid position is to extrapolate from the known to the unknown rather than to assume nothingness.

I apply this notion to god in this way: My body is a mix of minerals, chemicals, life, and energy, and I am conscious. The universe is made up of minerals, chemicals, life and energy. Without knowing one way or the other, I think the more logical belief is that the universe is conscious, like me, until proven otherwise.

So, anyway, I believe what exists outside of me is similar to what exists inside of me. To assume what exists outside of me is different from me, without evidence, seems rather random.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2009, 11:38 am

frinj wrote:
Imagine there is a boxn the inside of which you cannot see or otherwise sense in any way.

A theist is like a a person saying, "I believe there is a benevolent wizard in that box, because that's what shamans said thousands of years ago, and some of those shaman's writings survived to today and, hell, any notion that has survived over 2000 years must be true. Plus, every time anything coincidental happens, I figure it must be the wizard in the box because, afer all, coincidences are statistically impossible, right? Right?...."

An atheist, on the other hand, is like a person saying, "Since I cannot sense the inside of that box, I must assume nothing is in there until there is evidence to the contrary."

I think the flaws in the theist's logic are fairly obvious, so I'll focus on what I perceive to be the flaws in the atheist's logic.

Basically, I think the atheist thinks it is scientifically appropriate to assume the negative in the absence of knowledge to the contrary. However, even though we cannot sense the inside of the box, we CAN sense the outside of the box. The outside of the box is NOT empty. It is full of people and consciousness and love (and hate). I think the better scientific approach is, in the absence of knowledge, to assume the unknown is like the known. I call this the "law of similarities." The atheist's view seems premised on the "law of nothingness."

Anyway, I believe in the absence of knowledge, the more logically valid position is to extrapolate from the known to the unknown rather than to assume nothingness.

I apply this notion to god in this way: My body is a mix of minerals, chemicals, life, and energy, and I am conscious. The universe is made up of minerals, chemicals, life and energy. Without knowing one way or the other, I think the more logical belief is that the universe is conscious, like me, until proven otherwise.

So, anyway, I believe what exists outside of me is similar to what exists inside of me. To assume what exists outside of me is different from me, without evidence, seems rather random.

If you shake that box and feel its weight and try to get the box to activate something with no result it seems reasonable to assume the box has nothing to offer insofar as innovation is concerned. Everything around the box accounts quite well for what happens so, although you can have all sorts of imaginative theories about what is in the box, from chocolate covered marshmallows to an inert god, the damned thing might as well be ignored.

Insofar as the universe is concerned each part is dynamic in a rather special way. A star might contain all the elements comprising you but you are definitely not so energetic. A dead body definitely contains similar quantities and qualities of matter as you but do you really believe it is conscious, even though it even contains all the mechanisms for consciousness?

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2009, 12:49 pm

frinj, you have the issue wrong. Atheists deny there is a box at all, and thus nothing supernatural and such.

frinj wrote:
appropriate to assume the negative in the absence of knowledge to the contrary.

You mean Occam's razor. It is appropriate to assume no additional entities if there is no knowledge that promotes the existence of an additional entity. This is a standard line of reasoning and has been for centuries, originally devised by a theologian no less.

Quote:

Well, the issue is that only the human brain is conscious by our best knowledge, and it is a device that if damaged, can easily become unconscious. Not only that, but even without seeing the brain, we see you interacting with your environment in a manner that tends to indicate intentionality and goals.

In any case, the universe does not seem to have any devices in it that would provide consciousness, nor does it display intentionality, so it seems that the atheistic conclusion is false.

Quote:
So, anyway, I believe what exists outside of me is similar to what exists inside of me.

Here's the issue, we know what is outside of you, and it isn't similar to what is inside of you. Rocks are outside of you, but they are utterly unlike what you are like on the inside. In fact, if anything, you are more similar to the rock, than the rock is similar to your consciousness.

Because we have that basic information about rocks and physics and such, while your rule isn't invalid, what you derive using your rule isn't valid, as you neglect a lot of our knowledge.

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2009, 2:03 pm

well, in the case of the strong-atheistic perspective, which is usually something like this: "I know god doesn't exist". I have heard the position of that being the argumentum ad ignorantiam fallacy from the oposition and from some being apparentely neutral when criticizing that atheistic position, which seems to be the case.

From wikipedia:

Argument from ignorance wrote:
The argument from ignorance, also known as argumentum ad ignorantiam ("appeal to ignorance" [1]), argument by lack of imagination, or negative evidence, is a logical fallacy in which it is claimed that a premise is true only because it has not been proven false, or is false only because it has not been proven true.

argument:
"Something is currently unexplained or insufficiently understood or explained, so it is not (or must not be) true."

Argument from personal incredulity wrote:
The argument from personal incredulity, also known as argument from personal belief or argument from personal conviction, refers to an assertion that because one personally finds a premise unlikely or unbelievable, the premise can be assumed to be false, or alternatively that another preferred but unproven premise is true instead.

argument:
"I can't believe this is possible, so it can't be true." (The person is asserting that a proposition must be wrong because he or she is [or claims to be] unable or unwilling to fully consider that it might be true, or is unwilling to believe evidence which does not support her or his preferred view.)
And this is apparantely very common, about other things as well.

Irvy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Jul 2009, 2:26 pm

In many cases, the athiest is saying "I used to be believe there was a wizard in the box, but then he allowed my friend/mum/pet poodle to die, so now I refuse to believe in him because I'm very very angry with him"

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2009, 3:49 pm

Irvy wrote:
In many cases, the athiest is saying "I used to be believe there was a wizard in the box, but then he allowed my friend/mum/pet poodle to die, so now I refuse to believe in him because I'm very very angry with him"

In many cases, the theist is saying "My parents believed this doctrine and pushed it really deep into my head, plus I don't like to think for things myself much either"

I mean, irrational decisions of religious belief exist on both sides of the spectrum, to say the atheist is the only questionable one is itself questionable.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2009, 3:54 pm

How about the simple position? There is no credible empirical evidence indicating that the god, gods or supernatural beings of the various religions in fact exist.

An atheist is one who does not believe in the existence of the deity de jour.

ruveyn

Irvy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Jul 2009, 4:04 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
In many cases, the theist is saying "My parents believed this doctrine and pushed it really deep into my head, plus I don't like to think for things myself much either"

Absolutely, I agree with you 100%

Henriksson
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2009, 4:34 pm

I didn't spot any 'logical fallacy of atheism', but I did see a false analogy and a strawman.

Insist that there is a wizard in a box all you like, but you'd have to present a pretty good case if you'd like to convince me.

claire-333
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2009, 4:46 pm

Some days I care what is in the box. Some days I do not. Today I do not.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2009, 4:54 pm

claire333 wrote:

Claire, what if there is candy in the box? Would you be willing to reject all of that candy just because you feel a bit tired of trying to figure out the box? Just think of all of the mouth-watering candy that could be in there.

claire-333
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2009, 5:00 pm

My luck, they would all have the pink in the middle...those are kind of gross.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2009, 5:06 pm

claire333 wrote:
My luck, they would all have the pink in the middle...those are kind of gross.

Yeah, I agree. Those are gross. No wonder you aren't interested in what is in the box.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2009, 5:20 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
claire333 wrote:

Claire, what if there is candy in the box? Would you be willing to reject all of that candy just because you feel a bit tired of trying to figure out the box? Just think of all of the mouth-watering candy that could be in there.

The wizard has candy? Didn't your mother warn you about old men who offer you candy?

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2009, 5:57 pm

Orwell wrote:
The wizard has candy? Didn't your mother warn you about old men who offer you candy?

Her mother probably warned her that old men offering her candy only offer the stuff with the pink in the middle.

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2009, 8:34 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
Her mother probably warned her that old men offering her candy only offer the stuff with the pink in the middle.

I was wondering why those were gross.