Page 1 of 10 [ 160 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next

Tom
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2005, 5:06 am

I keep seeing white people in Muslim dress walking around the town. What's THAT about? :?

ascan
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2005, 5:42 am

Probably lefties showing solidarity with their Muslim brothers.

But to be honest, Tom, jeans and T-shirts are considered somewhat passé in urban areas these days. Best get to work with the bed sheets, old chap. :wink:

vetivert
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2005, 5:57 am

there are such things as inter-racial marriages, and there are also white people who convert to islam. i know (and know of, in the latter case) several.

as for "lefties showing solidarity"... well, that wouldn't happen, as it's so bloody patronising, for a start.

Ante
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2005, 6:37 am

Deleted

Last edited by Ante on 09 Nov 2005, 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2005, 7:41 am

tom wrote:
I keep seeing white people in Muslim dress walking around the town. What's THAT about? :?

It depends. They could be Albanian or Bosnian Immigrants, though from what I've seen, Many Muslims from that part of Europe don't particularly wear Arab Dress. You could be seeing Converts to the Wahabbi branch of Islam, which is a very strict fundamentalist branch of Islam that appears to be the most common form of Islam in Arabic countries. --Wahabbi's are more inclined to wear traditional Arab dress.

rumio
Toucan
Toucan

31 Jul 2005, 10:10 am

tom wrote:

I'm a white person and a Muslim and I sometimes wear traditional Islamic dress around town. Does that help?

-----------------------------------------------------------

Namiko
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2005, 5:09 pm

I don't see there being anything wrong with being Muslim. Not all Muslims are radical and not all of them want to bomb other parts of the world. Many are nice folks, like Rumio. ;)

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2005, 5:32 pm

Namiko wrote:
I don't see there being anything wrong with being Muslim. Not all Muslims are radical and not all of them want to bomb other parts of the world. Many are nice folks, like Rumio. ;)

I agree. However, Wahabbism is the sect of Islam that is more or less in control in Saudi Arabia, and is seeking to gain control in the rest of the Muslim world. One of the curious facts about Wahabbis' though is the fact that they seem to get really offended at how non Muslims treat muslims, yet they have no problem with killing off, and terrorising other Muslims who don't necessarily believe in their interpretation.

Psychlone
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2005, 6:00 pm

Uh, you guys know that Islam is a religion which any race can be a member of, right?

There are Muslim Turks, Greeks, Bosnians, Russians, etc. etc. all of which are white. And don't forget converts...

Actually, one could argue that Arabs are white.

rumio
Toucan
Toucan

31 Jul 2005, 6:13 pm

Namiko wrote:
Many are nice folks, like Rumio.

cheers namiko

you just saved me from embarrassing myself with a rant about Islamaphobia

fogman wrote:
Wahabbism is the sect of Islam that is more or less in control in Saudi Arabia, and is seeking to gain control in the rest of the Muslim world.

wahabbism is probably one of the most problematic things going on on this planet right now; The Saudi royal family were basically a bunch of backward peasants ('scuse the non-PC shorthand) living in the desert until circumstances combined to give them control of the newly-discovered oil-fields and the unimaginable wealth that comes with it. They joined forces with an ignorant and narrow strand of something calling itself Islam and the modern state of Saudi was born. They purveyed their twisted and narrow brand of islam to the world (supported by the British establishment, Sandhurst, Royal family etc) and that is pretty much what the world thinks of as Islam these days; the traditional wisdom and spirituality that had been there from the beginning was dismissed as innovation and heresy and the salafi movement carried it all on the an even greater degree - Osama bin Laden is a Salafi - and they're very critical of the Saudis who they see as being too soft and in league with the west. Of course the wahabbis are in league with the west as Michael Moore has pointed out very well in Fahrenheit 911 - the saudi royal family and the Bush family are closely linked in a marriage made in hell if ever there was one.

Anyway, suffice it to say that Islam is not what is represented by these people although it can be pretty hard convincing folks of that, so effective has the western campaign against Islam been for the last 10 centuries or so.

And I really am not happy if there's anti-Islamic prejudice on Wrong Planet but I guess this is just a section of society and will have all sorts of opinion on it.

eamonn
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2005, 8:18 pm

The wests "campaign against Islam" is on the mild scale compared to a lot of muslim countries were it is ileagal to build a christian or jewish place of worship and in fact being jewish and living in one of theses places is a serious risk on your life.

Also it is everyones right to be anti-anything as long as they stay within the law and dont hassle anyone.

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2005, 8:46 pm

I just with that the peaceful Muslims would alert the proper authorities when they know that some hostile group of Muslims is up to no good.

NoMore
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2005, 9:46 pm

rumio wrote:
Namiko wrote:
Many are nice folks, like Rumio.

cheers namiko
you just saved me from embarrassing myself with a rant about Islamaphobia.

People are PEOPLE, regardless of religion. There are good and bad people in every religion - EVERY religion. People come and go, good and bad. A particular religion stands on it's own, regardless of the comparative goodness or badness of it's adherents.

rumio wrote:
And I really am not happy if there's anti-Islamic prejudice on Wrong Planet but I guess this is just a section of society and will have all sorts of opinion on it.

Yeah, that's life. There will always be people who feel somehow justified in criticizing or insulting the faith/no faith of others, whether Isalm, Christianity, Judaism, Paganism, Atheism - take your pick.

I chose my faith years ago AS AN INTELLIGENT, INDEPENDENT, SINGLE ADULT. I am convinced of it, irrespective of the other good or bad people who claim the same faith. I do not feel the need to put down the faith of others, even jokingly. I don't understand why others feel the need to insult my FAITH (which is independent of people) because of the unpleasant PEOPLE who have been a part of it throughout history. As I said before, there are and have been both good and bad PEOPLE in EVERY religion/no religion, all throughout history.

BTW, my faith of choice is Roman Catholicism.

vetivert
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2005, 2:36 am

here, here, cindy (except i'm not a catholic anymore).

i take the point about people expressing their opinions, which is healthy, as it leads to debate, which then leads to education (both ways, i might add). however, racism/religionism (have i just made that word up?) is unacceptable, here as well as everywhere else, and there are WP rules about it.

just thought i'd be "teacher" and remind people :) just in case...

ascan
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2005, 3:37 am

Sean wrote:
I just with that the peaceful Muslims would alert the proper authorities when they know that some hostile group of Muslims is up to no good.

I'm sure most would. But many wouldn't. Some, here in the UK, support the terrorist actions. Others, although not supporting them, would be unlikely to give much help in informing on their Muslim brothers. That, alas, is human nature — it's inevitable that people of similar race, religion and culture will stick together. You N American Christians are probably no different.

Personally, I think the "outrage" in the UK Muslim community is somewhat stage-managed — by the media, government, Muslim "community leaders" and the all-pervasive dogma of PC multiculturalism that prevents people believing that any ethnic minority group could be anything other than victims.

rumio
Toucan
Toucan

01 Aug 2005, 4:12 am

eamonn wrote:
The wests "campaign against Islam" is on the mild scale compared to a lot of muslim countries were it is ileagal to build a christian or jewish place of worship and in fact being jewish and living in one of theses places is a serious risk on your life.

see the post above for info on the intolerance in Islam and where most of it comes from; there are plenty of Christians in the Muslim countries of the Middle East - Egypt, Syria, Lebanon all have Christians of various denominations

Sean wrote:

you hear this a lot and its very naive to be honest. The closest family members don't know anything about it, these guys keep secret.
'That young Ali, he's planning to blow up another tube train you know'.
'I've told him about that before'.
'Do you think we should alert the proper authorities?'
'Nah,probably won't come to anything'.

I don't think so

ascan wrote:
I'm sure most would. But many wouldn't. Some, here in the UK, support the terrorist actions. Others, although not supporting them, would be unlikely to give much help in informing on their Muslim brothers. That, alas, is human nature — it's inevitable that people of similar race, religion and culture will stick together. You N American Christians are probably no different.

Personally, I think the "outrage" in the UK Muslim community is somewhat stage-managed — by the media, government, Muslim "community leaders" and the all-pervasive dogma of PC multiculturalism that prevents people believing that any ethnic minority group could be anything other than victims.

this is just racist crap, as is
ascan wrote:

Best get to work with the bed sheets, old chap.