Page 1 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Scrapheap
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2006, 11:26 pm

Debating with several (Biblical Literalist) Christians on this board, I've noticed that they have a tendancy to counter reasonable arguments with arrogance and anti-logical brain washing statements. Since I don't believe in cencorship or banning these people, I think their comments should be re-posted for all to see.

Here's a classic.....

Didymus wrote:
That's a nice thought, and it's good that you could create it here in the image of the thought that was in your mind and breathe life into it by re-creating it on this page.

I have a request though, if you don't mind.

The next time you have any thoughts, instead of creating them here in the IMAGE of what's in your mind, could you pick those actual thoughts out of your brain and send them to me via FedEx so that I can hold your thoughts in my hand, look at them, know they are real, and understand them better?

What's that?

Your thoughts have no physical form?

Well, then I don't believe they exist.

Yet I am willing to make a deal with you.

I will entertain the possibility that your thoughts MIGHT exist, if you will entertain the possibility that my God MIGHT exist.

Xuincherguixe
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2006, 12:15 am

I can't help but think if I could understand what that was supposed to say, it might be an interesting comment.

It sounds vaguely Existentialist.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2006, 12:23 am

Xuincherguixe wrote:
vaguely Existentialist.

the entire religious experience (especially the muslim/judeo-christian experience) described in two words.

Xuincherguixe
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2006, 12:32 am

skafather84 wrote:
the entire religious experience (especially the muslim/judeo-christian experience) described in two words.

I don't know if it was supposed to, but I couldn't help but laugh at that.

Mostly because it's true.

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2006, 1:49 am

That's not arrogant, it's very intelligent.

Scrapheap
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2006, 1:03 pm

Postperson wrote:
That's not arrogant, it's very intelligent.

Dee Dee Dee

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2006, 5:13 pm

dah dah dah

Scrapheap
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2006, 9:20 pm

Xuincherguixe wrote:
I can't help but think if I could understand what that was supposed to say, it might be an interesting comment.

It sounds vaguely Existentialist.

That is untill you read the last couple of lines. Then it becomes obvious that he's just talking $hit. There's a world of difference between the existence of thoughts (Scientificaly provable) and the existence of god (Scientificaly unanswerable). Besides, he's trying to barter with me as if truth is something that can be somehow negotiated.
If you read the entire thread, you'd see that he, along with other christians, was using the same tactics that all evolution deniers use. Poke holes in your opponents arguments without defending your own position. This amounts to an "Either Or" falicy. If "A" isn't right, then "B" is correct. This is their logic. Why can't "C", "D", "E" or "F" be correct?? What makes the christian creation myth better than all the other religious creation myths that have existed?? The christians don't have logical answers for this. This puts the Evolution deniers in the same catagory as at least 2 other groops, the Holocaust deniers and the Moon Landing deniers. LOOK AT THE METHODS THEY EMPLOY. THEY'RE ALMOST IDENTICAL!! !

Xuincherguixe
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2006, 11:36 pm

I think more disturbing then the arguments they make, is that they actually might believe what they're saying.

Endersdragon
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2006, 12:55 am

The question I am thinking about is why do you care, why do you so frequently insult these people?

Vote for me in 2020 :-D

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2006, 1:37 am

mm... it's like guys who hang around outside gay bars or something, these people who hang around christian threads. you do wonder why.

Xuincherguixe
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2006, 3:15 am

Endersdragon wrote:
The question I am thinking about is why do you care, why do you so frequently insult these people?

Makes me wonder who you're talking about. In the end I suppose it doesn't matter. Anyone on either side could say the same.

It is right now both the in thing to bash Athiests and Christians.

Postperson wrote:
mm... it's like guys who hang around outside gay bars or something, these people who hang around christian threads. you do wonder why.

You do realize that there is an answer to this if you actually looked right? Or is this supposed to be a sarcastic and rhetorical insult?
And to be fair I do wonder about things like this, but then I wonder about everything. A lot of things occupy a much greater amount of my time. And again, it's not exactly that mysterious.

Endersdragon
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2006, 1:28 pm

Actually Ive yet to see a post where a Christian insulted an atheist without first being attackted himself, maybe the atheists should just realize that no Christian is going to just up and decide to convert to atheism because of what you say so its best to go by the old say "if you dont have anything nice to say dont say anything at all."

Scrapheap
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2006, 2:58 pm

Endersdragon wrote:

I'm not the one who started with the insults! This whole dabate started when I pointed out that it isn't incumbent on Non-beleivers to disprove god. IT IS incumbent on Christians to prove the existence of God. (Something they can't do)
I can't let these statements go because they polute the scientific process with religious theology. They are unable to understand the boundaries between fact and faith. In a philosophical sense, they're like a bull in a China shop.

Scrapheap
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2006, 3:02 pm

Endersdragon wrote:
Actually Ive yet to see a post where a Christian insulted an atheist without first being attackted himself, maybe the atheists should just realize that no Christian is going to just up and decide to convert to atheism because of what you say so its best to go by the old say "if you dont have anything nice to say dont say anything at all."

If I simply said what was nice, that would be letting people get away with dispensing whatever crap they want to. The sort of Anti-logical brain-washing statements christians make, have to be shouted down to keep them from bluring the lines between fact and fiction.

Endersdragon
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2006, 3:40 pm

As far as I can tell they only starting spewing this "crap" after you attacked their faith. I would reither you go to Iraq and see you debate faith over there :-D.