Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

boothinator
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Jun 2006, 3:21 pm

I believe that most of what people talk to each other about is just to manipulated each other's emotions and how they feel. In a sense it is a way to pass the time, and in another, it keeps people close enough to each other so that when something actually happens, they can do it together. The reason that I have trouble making friends is that I tend to be disinterested in much of what people say, and so that when they decide to do something together, like get dinner, I'm off doing something else. At gatherings I would always jump from group to group to see if they were saying anything interesting and actually miss opportunities to hear interesting things. But as I've gotten older, I've learned more about how to appreciate what people say even if it's not that interesting.

Also, I decided that since most of the time people are just manipulating each other's emotions by speaking and body language, and since that is all they could possibly be communicating to me, it is not necessarily true that they are telling the truth. It is just as easy for them to lie in their body language and what they are saying, just as actors do, in order to manipulate your emotions. An not only that, but if all their signals are saying the same thing, nobody could know the difference. But that is usually not the case. If their intention is to lie, then it is possible to see that because what they are saying will be inconsistent with their tone and body language. So, in that situation, it is best to manipulate back, but in a slighly different way so that they don't assume you are just imitating. The bigger the difference in response while staying on-topic, the better you are at this silly game. And that is how people manipulate your emotions for fun.

But if they are manipulating you to take advantage of you, then they are going to communicate one message to you and do something else. This is where a person with asperger's has the advantage. An average person might put in irrational amount of trust in how good people are manipulating your emotions. Why do women love diamonds, when a hundred years ago they were worthless? It is because DeBeers made them love diamonds, and it became a standard way to manipulate a woman's emotions. Not everyone subscribes to the standard, thankfully. But to me, a diamond is pointless since it is overvalued by a company that limits supply, and sure, it's shiny and all, but so is glass. I don't care.

And so what people say must always be reinterpreted by yourself no matter what. If a person tells you to get up, you might do it no matter what is happening. But you don't know the actual reason why they told you to get up, or even taken yourself into account. My boss can often be a bit micromanaging, but when he tells me "Clean the cutting board", I know that it really means that "I see that the cutting board is dirty. It needs to be cleaned", and I'll clean it because I agree with his assesment. I do this because otherwise it would just make me angry that he is telling me what to do, and he is right. Remember, nobody can make you do ANYTHING. You have to want to do it. I wanted to do it because the board was dirty and I didn't want to dirty up the food that was going to be put on it. I try not to do something for anyone unless I want to either. Now if you feel that he is bossing you around needlessly (in certain situations, there could be a need to boss you around), then it is your responsibility to express that to him. One day, I did feel that way and I confronted him about why, and he was happy to tell me that in the heat of the moment, he was just forgetting his manners. It happens in an intense situation for efficiency.

subatai_baadur
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2006, 7:39 pm

That was fairly open ended, so I'll respond by asking whether it was intentional that your topic is the motto of Gregory House. I will then continue by telling you that lieing is much deeper than that. You lie to yourself all the time. If you ever have felt love, that is your unconscious mind telling you to procreate. There are also no positive nerve reactions in my opinion. There are only negative nerve reactions and neutral nerve reactions combined with an unconscious feeling of happiness, which combine to make you think that you are experiancing positive nerve reactions. About 85% of the life of everyone on the earth is comprised ot lies, deceit, trickery, and other such phenomina. Get used to it.