Page 1 of 10 [ 147 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next

dktekno
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Feb 2008, 2:33 pm

Conscription and Jury Duty is slavery! I can't believe that the western world still uses forced labor!

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2008, 2:42 pm

Don't be stupid. You should appreciate that justice in America is still weighed by the citizens. You are part of society, not a parasite. I serve proudly when I'm called.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2008, 3:02 pm

I agree that it is slavery, I am not surprised that the west still uses coerced labor. The issue is then setting up new legal structures that are still less corruptible but also rely on less coercion.

Asterisp
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2008, 3:11 pm

In Europe jury-duty is not that common. So please refine your definition of 'western world'

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2008, 5:24 pm

Jury duty is not slavery you moron. Do you want a fair justice system or a tinpot affair ruled over by government?

mikebw
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2008, 5:58 pm

Jury Duty is not labor. In many states you are only up for jury duty if you have a driver's license. Don't want jury duty, don't get a license. And you can always get out of it.

Conscription or being Drafted into military service, that I consider like slavery. Almost worse.

http://www.imdb.com/user/ur3140151/ratings = My Movie Vote History

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2008, 6:36 pm

Tequila wrote:
Jury duty is not slavery you moron. Do you want a fair justice system or a tinpot affair ruled over by government?

I am assuming he is using the definition of slavery of labor chosen due to threat of penalty by an outside force, and if he is, then he is correct. Now, we can argue that this is justifiable, but it still is a labor chosen due to coercion.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2008, 7:14 pm

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
I am assuming he is using the definition of slavery of labor chosen due to threat of penalty by an outside force, and if he is, then he is correct. Now, we can argue that this is justifiable, but it still is a labor chosen due to coercion.

He might well be correct but sometimes we need to have measures like this in place. Or we could just let the Home Office/Ministry of Justice decide who to bang up and for how long.

National service is slavery though. No doubt about that.

Cyanide
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2008, 10:31 pm

I thought for jury duty you got paid....or am I wrong here? I wouldn't know, since I've never been called for it.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2008, 10:47 pm

Cyanide wrote:
I thought for jury duty you got paid....or am I wrong here? I wouldn't know, since I've never been called for it.

I think they do get paid. The issue is that they don't get a choice.

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2008, 11:00 pm

I have no problem with either jury duty or conscription. a limited "national service" thing may even be a good thing IMO.

dktekno
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Feb 2008, 4:32 am

Quote:
I have no problem with either jury duty or conscription. a limited "national service" thing may even be a good thing IMO.

Why shouldn't the citizens have the right to choose their own occupation, instead of the government forcing them to perform specific labor?

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2008, 4:46 am

dktekno wrote:
Conscription and Jury Duty is slavery!

So is taxation.

dktekno
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Feb 2008, 7:48 am

Orwell wrote:
dktekno wrote:
Conscription and Jury Duty is slavery!

So is taxation.

No it's not. Taxation is not forced labor.
If you don't earn any money, you don't have to pay taxes.

Furthermore there is something called "personal allowance", that means money you may earn before you are taxed.

As long as there is personal allowance, and the tax is not a poll tax, it is not comparable to slavery or any other kind of forced servitude.

alex
Developer
Developer

25 Feb 2008, 9:03 am

dktekno wrote:
Conscription and Jury Duty is slavery! I can't believe that the western world still uses forced labor!

i think it's pretty easy to get out of it if you really want to.

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2008, 9:59 am

dktekno wrote:
Quote:

Why shouldn't the citizens have the right to choose their own occupation, instead of the government forcing them to perform specific labor?

In a democracy the government IS the citizens.