Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2011, 5:23 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7dR1_rHntII[/youtube]

Enjoy.

Interesting...guess it's not working for that video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 7dR1_rHntI

^The link.

Edit: fixed. The extra featureblahblahblah was messing up the youtube code.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

Last edited by skafather84 on 25 Feb 2011, 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2011, 5:27 pm

That's such bs. How does that reflect on our health care system in any way? I have heard many Republicans lament that people are kept alive 'against Gods will'. Here is a baby in a vegetative state. The baby will likely never even get to experience consciousness. Can they just please for once not try and avoid the real issues at hand in your country and leave my country out of it? lol

BTW, I would totally do Lisa Reed

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2011, 5:29 pm

Vigilans wrote:

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2011, 5:33 pm

Vigilans wrote:
That's such bs. How does that reflect on our health care system in any way? I have heard many Republicans lament that people are kept alive 'against Gods will'. Here is a baby in a vegetative state. The baby will likely never even get to experience consciousness. Can they just please for once not try and avoid the real issues at hand in your country and leave my country out of it? lol

They say its in a vegetative state, yet they also say they don't want to do an operation because the kid may experience pain. Uh that kinda is contradictory.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2011, 5:35 pm

Inuyasha wrote:
Vigilans wrote:

They say its in a vegetative state, yet they also say they don't want to do an operation because the kid may experience pain. Uh that kinda is contradictory.

You ignored "also increase risk of infection and pneumonia".

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2011, 5:36 pm

Inuyasha wrote:
Vigilans wrote:

A tracheotomy involves cutting a hole into the infants throat so that breathing can be maintained artificially via a tube. The brain is not in a conscious state but the risk of infection or other complications are there. 'Discomfort' was a poor choice in words on their part, unnecessary risk would be better. It's just humane

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2011, 8:41 pm

Okay. You follow the clues, you get a sense. This is about that.

I almost did not click - scafather 84, titled big picture, gotta be a video, right.? But I did, it was, And there are enough clues to know what is under discussion.

So - really - if what my wife was passing from her blog scanning yesterday is not too far off, the alternatives being presented are these:

A. keep the child in hospital, cut support, it dies in the hospital

B. give it a tracheotomy, cut the tubes, take it home,it dies at home.

Is this accurate? I'm not saying, I'm asking, it is what I think I have heard.

So - lets see: option A it is dead in an environment it cannot perceive and free from infection.

Option B it is dead in an environment it cannot perceive, but one that gives the parents comfort, and maybe it gets infected before it dies.

And if either way it dies and either way it does not know, but on one side maybe the survivors are a bit less traumatized, why are the staff so anxious it should not get sick before inevitably dying?

Anybody actually understand that, or has everything set before me misrepresented the case.

Like if the child is NOT doomed that would change the voting.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2011, 8:48 pm

Quote:
why are the staff so anxious it should not get sick before inevitably dying?

They take care of comatose people, such as moving them to prevent bedsores. Their body is still alive and susceptible to infection or damage. While under their care it is their responsibility to ensure no harm comes to the subject, even if it seems counter-intuitive to their stance on letting a person die if it seems completely unlikely they will ever 'think' or experience the world consciously

Course, this still begs the question, wtf does this have to do with Canadian health care in any relevant way. I will defend our health care to my last breath, probably because it is literally keeping me alive. I live in one of the most corrupt places in North America (Quebec) and the only reliable institution is our provincial health care despite all the other obstacles. What does that say?

The biggest problem we had was Americans coming up here and using our cards to get free care. Recently they solved this by putting pictures on the cards so now it isn't possible. So essentially the biggest problem we have is American family members of Canadians coming up here and committing fraud against our system. I could almost compare it to the way Americans complain that Mexicans come up and 'took'r jobs!' except that I think Americans deserve equal health care to Canadians so I feel for those people who come up here

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2011, 9:07 pm

Quebec health care - interesting. I only know a bit firsthand from Ontario and 2nd hand from BC. Reports from our man in Vancouver - literally being kept alive, barely - advanced Parkinson's complicated by too many years on the meds AND his habit of ignoring the instructions that come with the meds- are not as favorable. But then, you are comparing against a different backdrop.

I had not heard of Americans sneaking in - in the days when I had much to do with Ontario it may not have startred, had it been prevalent I think I would have heard gripes. I know the UK was long past beset with health seekers, perhaps not surprising the US would get onto it in Canada.

Of course, there is an obligation to protect it while in their care. But id the facts are as I have heard, a less rulebound mentality might let it out the door.

AND I know - all too well - how poeerful the rule-mind can be,

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2011, 9:28 pm

Quote:
Quebec health care - interesting.

I would be among the first to say that it isn't perfect, but the benefit it provides is well worth it. I haven't had any experience with the systems in other provinces, so I don't know if they are superior or inferior in any way, or even if there are major differences. I think our society's well being is kept in high places with the knowledge that people you know, close or not, aren't going bankrupt and losing everything because of health-related costs... It really takes the cut-throat, us vs them mentality out, in my opinion; except perhaps for the non-related language struggle in Quebec, or the occasional discontent with the Ottawa government from out West & East, which doesn't seem to look very harsh when compared to American politics, to me, at least.

jamieboy
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2011, 9:41 pm

skafather84 wrote:
Vigilans wrote:

I'd f**k her with a Bush mask on!

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2011, 12:52 pm

:lol:

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2011, 1:11 pm

skafather84 wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
Vigilans wrote:

You ignored "also increase risk of infection and pneumonia".

Again if the boy is incapable of feeling anything why would they care? Really has anyone done any tests to check for brain activity or they just claim the lights are on and nobody is home?

jamieboy wrote:

@ jamieboy

First that looks like Tom Delay, second that commit isn't even remotely funny and is quite frankly disgusting. You claim to be all for women's rights yet you joke about raping someone cause you disagree with them politically, reaalllll classyyy... :roll:

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2011, 2:01 pm

jamieboy wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
Vigilans wrote:

Wait, is the Bush mask on you or her?

ikorack
Veteran