Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

CoCotheMonkey
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Mar 2012, 8:48 pm

Im a Christian and have recently been diagnosed with Aspergers. Im wondering if this is why ive had a difficult time not wanting to punch people in the brain at church. Its like i pick the worst churches. If its not a tiny cult where they want to hang out with other 5 days a week and guilt you into doing things its a big megachurch where the Pastor doesnt feel like he needs to ever talk with you.
have other aspies found church to be like an even more painful high school?

one-A-N
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2012, 9:58 pm

I don't know about "an even more painful high school", but church of any kind can pose problems for people with AS.

First, you may be the only one in that congregation with an ASD, and so you may feel isolated and misunderstood by everyone. Some NTs can be very understanding of Aspies - but not all are. Of course, you might have a few diagnosed or undiagnosed (or even unsuspecting) Aspies in your congregation, especially if it is a big one.

Second, churches can provoke all sorts of sensory problems: people trying to touch/hug you, people displaying emotions (overload!), people chattering before and after church, smells, people playing loud instruments (I'd gladly throw certain tambourines into the nearest creek!), people trying to be helpful by preparing food for you, rather than let you pick safe foods (either for taste or for gastric problems). I am often near panic before church, but generally calm down during the service and am fine at the end.

Third, many churches can be very socially intense for Aspies - prayer groups can feel like emotionally incestuous and draining activities; mixing with small groups can overload Aspies; sharing can be difficult when you are in groups larger than two people, etc.

Aspies may prefer quieter, more predictable, more contemplative services (I do) - eg liturgical services. But Aspies, like other people, vary a lot - so your preferences may be different to mine.

Last edited by one-A-N on 29 Mar 2012, 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2012, 11:44 pm

I'm a life long Lutheran, and have been going to the same church since I was about two or three. Essentially, my congregation is a small, mainline denomination with a strong sense of family, and without any sort of intense dissociative religious experiences in or out of worship. I was diagnosed only later in life with Asperger's, but my church is a comfortable fit for me. My suggestion is, try to find a mainline denomination without any of the nutso evangelical theology, especially a congregation that isn't overly big, and is tolerant.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

abacacus
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2012, 11:47 pm

I never found church to be painful so much as mind shatteringly DULL.

"Oh great you're going to read another verse of BS from a bronze age fairy tale. Congratu-fucking-lations. Let me go the f**k home."

You will reap what you've sown.

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2012, 12:33 am

CoCotheMonkey wrote:
Im a Christian and have recently been diagnosed with Aspergers. Im wondering if this is why ive had a difficult time not wanting to punch people in the brain at church. Its like i pick the worst churches. If its not a tiny cult where they want to hang out with other 5 days a week and guilt you into doing things its a big megachurch where the Pastor doesnt feel like he needs to ever talk with you.
have other aspies found church to be like an even more painful high school?

It's tough to find a suitable church. In some megachurches, it just isn't practical for the senior pastor to meet everyone. I go to a megachurch and I find it useful to get into a small group activity. There are a lot of medium sized churches with a wide variety of group dynamics as well.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2012, 2:01 am

I've found that Protestant churches seem to have more of a social aspect to them than Catholic ones. Even though Catholic parishes offer just as many groups to join and outings to go on and social events, they don't seem to have that cliquish feel. If you aren't objectionable to Catholocism, try a Catholic church or two. You don't even have to socialize with others there, and inside the church, when sitting there waiting for Mass to start, Catholics normally pray or sit quietly. You won't find much talking going on inside the church before the service starts.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com