Page 1 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Douchebag Capital of the World (aka Washington D.C.)

14 Feb 2013, 12:25 pm

Part of being on the spectrum/NVLD is being gender atypical to a greater or lesser extent. Most men and women with one of these disorders cannot match the full expectations of sexist society their gender (for women, being empathetic caretakers, for men, being go-getters/taking initiative/being providers, among other things); many deviate from gender norms in much more extreme ways.

I have a general incompetence and ditziness that society associates with blond women. It's due to NVLD.

By trying to erode traditional gender roles, it would seem that feminism would do a big favor to both aspie men and women.

Why am I wrong?

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2013, 2:06 pm

Tyri0n wrote:
Part of being on the spectrum/NVLD is being gender atypical to a greater or lesser extent. Most men and women with one of these disorders cannot match the full expectations of sexist society their gender (for women, being empathetic caretakers, for men, being go-getters/taking initiative/being providers, among other things); many deviate from gender norms in much more extreme ways.

I have a general incompetence and ditziness that society associates with blond women. It's due to NVLD.

By trying to erode traditional gender roles, it would seem that feminism would do a big favor to both aspie men and women.

Why am I wrong?

Well, first of all, you might need to identify what gender differences are due to genotypes, epigenetics and non-hereditary environmental factors. That would make the study of the "erosion of traditional gender roles" much easier.

Furthermore, which one of the 40 branches of feminism are you referring to?

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2013, 3:22 pm

I suppose that we could start our own branch of feminism. That ought to be a hoot.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2013, 12:02 am

I sorta agree with the OP I prefer the woman to take initiative if she likes me!

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2013, 12:07 am

Despite being one of the straightest people I know, I constantly ping on people's gaydar. A lot of other aspie women say similar things on the Women's forum; I assume that the same thing happens to aspie men. We are who we are more than NTs, since we're less aware of, and thus less responsive to, social expectations - including gendered social expectations.

So, yeah: organized efforts against gendered social expectations can only be beneficial to aspies, as a whole, in the long run.

Tensu
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2013, 11:56 pm

Wouldn't it be more appropriate to say "Ending gender stereotypes is good for us"?

And by saying that "part of being on the spectrum is being gender atypical", aren't you stereotyping aspies?

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2013, 12:16 am

In terms of gender I think all paths should be (ultimately) available to all - ie. let guys and girls who don't fit the cookie cutter be their best selves in peace, also edify those who are being their real selves in traditional gender roles. Its up for the individual to assume and its really nobody's business who they are and how they tackle life's biggest philosophical challenges in relationship to their identity only to say that if they're having trouble and need help finding themselves that they get real help and not brainwashing in any particular direction - neither traditional/conservative nor progressive political.

I will add though that the education system and culture should not arbitrarily 'push' the issues in formative years such as grade-school. They're still developing and because of that its confusing rather than elucidating.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2013, 12:39 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
In terms of gender I think all paths should be (ultimately) available to all - ie. let guys and girls who don't fit the cookie cutter be their best selves in peace, also edify those who are being their real selves in traditional gender roles.

Indeed, and this requires not disallowing who clearly wish to serve in certain professions because some find it "exploitative".

As for the rest, I agree with you. I don't think it's healthy for anyone to be trapped in a role they don't feel comfortable in. The truth generally outs in any case.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2013, 4:16 am

Tensu wrote:
Wouldn't it be more appropriate to say "Ending gender stereotypes is good for us"?[

If you know of any named, organized social movements that are doing this other than feminism, I'm all ears. The MRAs seem to exise solely to *reinforce* negative gender stereotypes for both men and women.

Quote:
And by saying that "part of being on the spectrum is being gender atypical", aren't you stereotyping aspies?

That's not what I was saying - I was saying that aspies don't artificially alter our appearances or behaviors (as much as NTs) to fit gender stereotypes. Some, I'm sure, fit perfectly well into those stereotypes without even trying. If we don't fit, though, we're not likely to notice and even less likely to care.

mercifullyfree
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Feb 2013, 2:03 pm

You aren't wrong. For me, feminism is just about not being forced into roles or artificial limitations/expectations just because of what genitals I was born with, and this also applies to men. Men shouldn't need to be macho "alpha" bullshitters to be respected.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

19 Feb 2013, 2:10 pm

mercifullyfree wrote:
You aren't wrong. For me, feminism is just about not being forced into roles or artificial limitations/expectations just because of what genitals I was born with, and this also applies to men. Men shouldn't need to be macho "alpha" bullshitters to be respected.

To be honest I think the "alpha" rubbish is rubbish regardless of your genitals. "Strong women" are just as annoying as the macho men they strive to emulate. We need to get away from the idea that masculine=good, feminine=bad (but equally, masculinity is not necessarily bad).
Tequila wrote:
techstepgenr8tion wrote:
In terms of gender I think all paths should be (ultimately) available to all - ie. let guys and girls who don't fit the cookie cutter be their best selves in peace, also edify those who are being their real selves in traditional gender roles.

Indeed, and this requires not disallowing who clearly wish to serve in certain professions because some find it "exploitative".

You always manage to turn a thread around to being about your irrelevant "button issues", don't you? Go on, say how much you hate Muslims...

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2013, 3:39 pm

LKL wrote:
Tensu wrote:
Wouldn't it be more appropriate to say "Ending gender stereotypes is good for us"?

If you know of any named, organized social movements that are doing this other than feminism, I'm all ears.

[rant]So all those hundreds - if not thousands - of named human rights movements who want to end not just gender stereotypes, but also racial, ethnic, religious and [insert any omitted category] stereotypes just all happened to fly under your radar?

Could it be - Oh, the horror! - that the animosity towards feminism by several posters on this board isn't just about enforcing male privilege and entitlement under the banner of the Patriarchy (oh, one moment... Incoming call... You say *what*? ... *sigh* well, okay).... the Kyriarchy... But that it could be a disdain for a movement that focuses excessively on the (real or perceived) plights of a *subset* of women in the Western world while disregarding the plights of groups that suffer much more severe discrimination... including *other* women facing much more hardships in less developed countries.... But no! Behold the vile misogynists who rejects the greater cause against subtle misogyny and sexual objectification in fashion advertisements in favour of trivial matters like Female Genital Mutilation and de facto legalisation of rape...[/rant]

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2013, 2:18 am

*snort*
being a feminist doesn't preclude being against other kinds of oppression as well, and being a western feminist doesn't preclude being against FGM. Indeed, apart from the Islamophobes who don't give a damn about Muslim women except as a tool to hammer their own culture, it's hard to think of anyone *except* feminists who speak out against FGM.

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2013, 4:08 am

LKL wrote:
*snort*
being a feminist doesn't preclude being against other kinds of oppression as well, and being a western feminist doesn't preclude being against FGM. Indeed, apart from the Islamophobes who don't give a damn about Muslim women except as a tool to hammer their own culture, it's hard to think of anyone *except* feminists who speak out against FGM.

You're being selective. There are many people who've spoken against modern forms of feminism who've also spoken against FGM AND male circumcision.

Christopher Hitchens was an example. Other examples are Christians who reject feminism.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2013, 2:42 pm

Image :D

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

mercifullyfree
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Feb 2013, 2:51 pm

Um, no!