B'ham Muslim community didn't tell police of terror plot

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2013, 8:13 am

Quote:
Birmingham's Muslim community did not inform police of terrorism plot

No-one in the Birmingham bomb plotters' own community tipped the police off with their concerns, despite finding out they were sending young men to terror training camps in Pakistan.

Three Birmingham men were found guilty of planning a massive terrorist bomb attack, while a further six had previously admitted their involvement in the plans.

But at no point during the 18-month investigation by the West Midlands counter-terrorism unit did anyone in Birmingham's Muslim community inform on the behaviour of Irfan Naseer, Irfan Khalid and Ashik Ali, raising questions over the health of relations between officers and community leaders.

As I keep saying - community leaders provide cover and protection for the nasties. We must stop treating extremists who promote nothing but themselves as representative of Muslims as a whole.

One suspects that the reason behind no-one informing the police may be fear?

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2013, 9:17 am

Tequila wrote:

Dropping a dime on a Brother is haram.

ruveyn

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2013, 12:41 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Tequila wrote:

Dropping a dime on a Brother is haram.

ruveyn

That sums up what I was going to say; it shows where their loyalties are.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

iBlockhead
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Feb 2013, 8:26 pm

The police said the community did not disrupt the investigation, and there seems to be no real evidence the COMMUNITY (not the extended family, who were incensed they went and probably did not say anything because this was just an act of idiocy) knew about this. And what exactly was this plot? It's hard to tell the authorities something when there is no real plan at a specific target.

52 of the 140 documented tips against terrorism in America since 9/11 have come from Muslims, so it looks like Tequi£a is just on another "misinformed" rant.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2013, 8:32 pm

iBlockhead wrote:
52 of the 140 documented tips against terrorism in America since 9/11 have come from Muslims, so it looks like Tequi£a is just on another "misinformed" rant.

This only means that the majority (63%, or 88/140) of the tips you've cited came from non-Muslims.

Tequila is spot-on in his observations.

There is no denying the facts.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

iBlockhead
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Feb 2013, 8:37 pm

Fnord wrote:
iBlockhead wrote:

This only means that the majority (63%, or 88/140) of the tips you've cited came from non-Muslims.

Um...Muslims aren't the only ones committing terrorism in America (even though no people were injured or killed in 2012 from Muslim American terrorist activity). That is ALL terrorist attacks...I don't know the actual numbers of who is who.

You want to take that back, now?

Last edited by iBlockhead on 23 Feb 2013, 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2013, 8:38 pm

iBlockhead wrote:
Fnord wrote:
iBlockhead wrote:
This only means that the majority (63%, or 88/140) of the tips you've cited came from non-Muslims. Tequila is spot-on in his observations. There is no denying the facts.
Um...Muslims aren't the only ones committing terrorism in America.

Diverting attention from the hole you've just dug yourself into will not change the facts that you have helped reveal.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

iBlockhead
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Feb 2013, 8:39 pm

Fnord wrote:
iBlockhead wrote:
Fnord wrote:
iBlockhead wrote:
This only means that the majority (63%, or 88/140) of the tips you've cited came from non-Muslims. Tequila is spot-on in his observations. There is no denying the facts.
Um...Muslims aren't the only ones committing terrorism in America.

Diverting attention from the hole you've just dug yourself into will not change the facts that you have helped reveal.

You honestly mean to tell me a Muslim is going to know that a neo-Nazi is going to perform a terrorist attack? GTFO. Absolutely incredible...

Are you seriously suggesting that every single documented tip against terrorism in America has to come from a Muslim? You are trolling me, right?

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2013, 8:42 pm

iBlockhead wrote:
Um...Muslims aren't the only ones committing terrorism in America (even though no people were injured or killed in 2012 from Muslim American terrorist activity).

And you want the American people to be grateful for this?!

iBlockhead
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Feb 2013, 8:50 pm

Tequila wrote:
iBlockhead wrote:
Um...Muslims aren't the only ones committing terrorism in America (even though no people were injured or killed in 2012 from Muslim American terrorist activity).

And you want the American people to be grateful for this?!

Um...I know how much you like to exaggerate things, but it continues to point out that there is a disproportionate use of resources to combating Muslim terrorism in America compared to other terrorist activity. And you exaggerating the threat of Islamic terrorism and the threat of Sharia Law to America.

Actually, I would be grateful that people and law enforcement are working together to have that number be zero, as I would for any other dangerous group in America, so that answer is yes, I myself am personally grateful for having no people hurt or killed. Next question?

We are getting a little off subject here, but how can you say the Muslim community is hiding the bad guys if the article says the community abhors terrorism and did not disrupt the investigation? Plus having to show the COMMUNITY, not just the extended family, knew about whatever they were thinking about.

Cei
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Feb 2013, 6:39 am

Fnord wrote:
iBlockhead wrote:

Are you assuming Muslims are more likely to have anything to report, or what? Even in that case, considering that Muslims are a minority in America, I don't see the problem.

If 10 out of 10 people in a group donate their cars to charity, and 8 of those people are men, does that indicate that women are stingy, since they only made 20% of the donations in that group? :roll:

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2013, 7:04 am

It is difficult to know what is going on, but I suspect it is because we have pushed such group further underground, and random anti-western rants, don't bat an eyelid.

Mainstream mosques don't publicly want these group in their mosques, and they don't really want the responsibility of policing them. But on the other hand, these people were know fro their radical views.

Problem is there are an awful lot of people with radical views. Can all of these be monitored at one time?

I think the security services did a good job in this case.

Also you can't know for sure if there were any informants, because Mi5 is not exactly going to corroborate, if is still using them. They don't infiltrate these groups by sticking John Smith in there.

Arran
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Feb 2013, 7:31 am

iBlockhead wrote:
The police said the community did not disrupt the investigation, and there seems to be no real evidence the COMMUNITY (not the extended family, who were incensed they went and probably did not say anything because this was just an act of idiocy) knew about this.

You may well be right there. Clearly and undeniably violent terrorists from Muslim backgrounds (in my locality at least) are very low profile individuals who stay well below the radar of the bulk of the local Muslim population. This is in contrast to clearly non-violent Muslims who have been subject to terrorism laws for possession of the 'wrong' magazine or are steadfast supporters of Sharia law who are open and well known by the local community.

iBlockhead
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Feb 2013, 7:44 pm

I see that instead of answering my question of how the community knew, Tequi£a has started a new thread asking what if the terrorists were Jews, but instead using a Daily Mail source, which has this section in the middle of a larger article.

I guess when someone is not going to take his personal attacks (I've already made a joke out of one, I hope he's got something good for me when I called him out here so I can use it as material somewhere else) he's got nothing useful to contribute.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2013, 7:52 pm

^^^

I don't know what you're talking about. He didn't come close to attacking you or anyone else on this thread.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2013, 7:57 pm

iBlockhead wrote:
I see that instead of answering my question of how the community knew, Tequi£a has started a new thread asking what if the terrorists were Jews, but instead using a Daily Mail source, which has this section in the middle of a larger article.

No, what I said was that it sounds like people in that community knew that they were going to terrorist training camps in Pakistan (i.e. they weren't just going 'home' to see relatives). What is being suggested is not necessarily that the Muslim community here knew that a terrorist attack was being planned, but that some knew that they were going to Pakistan to train as terrorists/shahids/martyrs and kept schtum. The point being that the police would have known what was going on a lot earlier if worried people had let the police know.

Would some of the people trying their best to ignore the lack of response from those in the know in the Islamic community in Birmingham have preferred it if people from the "white community" knew that racist elements from that community were up to something dodgy, but that wasn't directly related to a terrorist attack in the UK? Somehow, I think the response would have been extremely different.

I never used a Daily Mail source in the Douglas Murray article, and this thread doesn't use a Daily Mail source either. So I don't know what you're on about.

Last edited by Tequila on 25 Feb 2013, 7:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.