Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Keniichi
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2012, 5:25 am

Ok I have been told its -"so bad-" to cuss, and all that, and I have been told its just as bad to do this -****, because its the meaning behind the word. Well if that's the case, why do people use -"substitute-" words if its the meaning behind the word that is -"so bad-"-:?

I got into a little facebook dispute over this issue and the people attacking me, NEVER answered that question of mine.
Can anyone tell me why, they didnt answer that-? Is it because they use substitute words themselves-?Were they embarassed, ashamed, or what-?
I have talked to them in real life and they kept -"dodging around the/my question-".-(I confronted them about it-). Finally they said I was annoying and just left.

I

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2012, 8:44 am

When in Rome, do as the Romans do.

ruveyn

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2012, 10:19 am

They may be walking away because whatever your question is, is unclear. I'm not even sure what it is you're really asking here.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

knowbody15
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Dec 2012, 12:53 pm

The answer to your question is that the person still wants to use the F****** word, they just want to be less f****** offensive. Leave a little bit to the M*****F****** imagination. Now, if someone tells you that writing cuss words is bad, and also writing words like this ***** is bad, but then writes cuss words like this ****, then they are probably ******************. Does that make sense:)

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2012, 12:59 pm

Keniichi wrote:
Ok I have been told its -"so bad-" to cuss, and all that, and I have been told its just as bad to do this -****, because its the meaning behind the word. Well if that's the case, why do people use -"substitute-" words if its the meaning behind the word that is -"so bad-"-:?

I agree, substitute words are silly. They are still referring to the same thing, just in a dorky way. However, I don't like constant swearing. It's unimaginative and lazy. Save it for when you really want to make a point.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2012, 1:00 pm

knowbody15 wrote:
Does that make sense:)

Nope.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

knowbody15
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Dec 2012, 1:26 pm

MrXxx wrote:
knowbody15 wrote:

Nope.

Lets take it from the top Keniichi -- so if someone says..........

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2012, 1:32 pm

knowbody15 wrote:
MrXxx wrote:
knowbody15 wrote:

Nope.

Lets take it from the top Keniichi -- so if someone says..........

:lol: Yeah, my kids try that on me all the time, and I have to keep telling them, "If I didn't understand it the first time, why would you think repeating the same thing over again just like the first time will clarify anything for me?"

Anyway, I was being facetious. I got your point, it just makes no sense to me. Uncommon sense I suppose.

I'm still unclear as to the OP's real question though.

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2012, 1:32 pm

knowbody15 wrote:
then they are probably ******************.

Hey! Calm down there, no need to be that offensive :shameonyou:. I wouldn't even use that word against a ******** with six *********** on a Wednesday!

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2012, 2:07 pm

Sometimes they are stupid, sometimes they are used in conversation.

I say f**k them all.

:)

People are too damn sensitive nowadays.

knowbody15
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Dec 2012, 2:20 pm

:) You guys are just being a bunch of ******** ***** * ********8 ******

I wont even tell you what that 8 means......(I'm totally kidding lol, I wrote jibberish)

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2012, 2:24 pm

Gosh Darn.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2012, 2:41 pm

IF the OP is still around watching this thread:

Which one of these questions are you actually asking?

Are you asking why is it acceptable to use substitutions for certain words, if those words are not acceptable, when everybody pretty much knows what words you intended anyway?

I'm really confused what is is you're really asking, because the only real question in your post doesn't make sense:

Quote:
why do people use -"substitute-" words if its the meaning behind the word that is -"so bad-"

The reason the question doesn't make sense is that the answer to the actual question you are asking there is right in the question itself.

Substitute words have a different meaning from the word being substituted. That's exactly why people use them.

Because "stinking" does not mean the same thing as "f*****g," even though we all know what stinking is a substitute for.

It sounds to me like what you are really asking is:

"Why, if swearing is 'so bad,' do people use substitute words when everybody knows they really mean the swear, and not just change the way we speak so as not to be using either substitutes or swears?"

I have a feeling that's what you're really asking, and that because of the direction this thread has taken, that may be why you've give up responding to it.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2012, 4:12 pm

One of the reasons that subsitute words were tolerated is that they acted as a means for a person to demonstrate they they can exercise control over their responses to stimuli.

Swearing has very useful therapeutic value. Psychologists have routinely demonstrated that using strong language improves pain tolerance, for example. But the value of swearing also diminishes as its use becomes normalized. If everything you say is, "f**k this," and, "f**king that," then when the time comes, a really good, loud, "F**K!! !" is going to be much less effective for you.

abacacus
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2012, 7:53 pm

visagrunt wrote:
One of the reasons that subsitute words were tolerated is that they acted as a means for a person to demonstrate they they can exercise control over their responses to stimuli.

Swearing has very useful therapeutic value. Psychologists have routinely demonstrated that using strong language improves pain tolerance, for example. But the value of swearing also diminishes as its use becomes normalized. If everything you say is, "f**k this," and, "f**king that," then when the time comes, a really good, loud, "F**K!! !" is going to be much less effective for you.

There is always a bigger curse, or a more creative one.

Me, I can make a sailor blush and a nun go run for her bible, and frequently do. I enjoy cursing. It's an art form. I'm perfectly capable of cleaning up my speech when I feel like it, but I usually don't bother. F-Bombs and C-Bombs and bombs you've never heard of all spill from my mouth quite often.

The stuff I save for when I need a good dose of therapy tends to be a wordless roar.

You will reap what you've sown.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2012, 8:09 pm

The armed forces is a great place to learn advanced creative profanity. :D