Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2016, 7:16 pm

Do you believe in spirits?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2016, 7:22 pm

As disembodied personalities? No. There is no evidence for such things.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2016, 7:42 pm

Are you referring to things like Non-Solid Entities ? Sure, plenty of evidence exists for Inter-Frequency (Infra-Red/Ultra-Violet Spectrum) Phenomenon, but very few in the populations will ever encounter such experiences.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2016, 10:34 pm

Something's wrong with the posting on WP today so I might have to phrase this differently than I wanted to.

IMHO - yes, although I doubt you'll find anything conclusive enough in terms of empirical testing to give you closure. Really the most sure-fire way to pick it up is literally on your own neural wiring. That tends to obscure/confuse the issue if you're just trying to contemplate the possibility in an intellectually detached way but when you do have the right kinds of experiences you'll find yourself realizing that you literally couldn't psych yourself into having them. Certain kinds of reactions that I've had to entities seemed to involve just about every cell in my body elating - I have no idea how to do that and I've never successfully huffed, puffed, or hyperventilated myself into anything more than needing to take a nap let alone giving myself profoundly bizarre sensations like the one I described or like touch impressions at a distance.

I have no doubt that the impulses are delivered neurologically and the content almost entirely subjective in its receipt, but I would strongly suspect their autonomy from that subjective experience to be valid.

mikeman7918
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2016, 12:13 am

I don't know what to believe anymore. A few months ago I would have said yes, but I have been questioning my religion lately.

Diagnosed with Asperger's, ADD, and Generalized Anxiety Disorder in 2004.
In denial that it was a problem until early 2016.

Deviant Art

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2016, 12:22 am

You betcha! I believe in spirits, ghosts, and Satan. I'm not going to get into it here, but the house I grew up in was haunted.

There's a couple of haunted houses I would like to see, but everyone I know is too scared.

A couple from work wanted to go here: Stull, KS.
NOT ME! They say it's a Gateway to Hell!

http://www.weirdus.com/states/kansas/st ... y_to_hell/

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

cavernio
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2016, 1:32 am

Maybe. I have started to believe, more similarly to ban-dodger, that there is FAR more to life than what we know. I think there is quite a decent chance something of me will exist after I die and not just the physical form. I don't think that it will retain memory though, so I'm not sure if that counts as a spirit.

I'm a dualist at heart, and I really think that physics will eventually find this dualism. Afterall, my mind actually exists for me. However there is also the point that it only exists due to how other physical realities exist, in which case perhaps the whole universe is a spirit of some sort.

Geez, we're small-minded enough to define life as only things that exist within a human's time-frame and perception. But just take for instance something like a slow-moving starfish going towards a slow-moving prey. It doesn't outwardly -look- like any sort of prey/predator thing is happening, but time-lapse it and it's quite obvious. What happens if you time-lapse 10,000 years to our eyes every second? 1 000 000 years? And then there's the physical scale to, the SIZE scale. Atoms, when looked at, don't act the same way they do when they AREN'T observed. Does that not strike you as like, EXACTLY what happens when you try to watch a wild animal and it knows you're nearby? The act of observing it changes it's behavior. When watching a cat it's because we attribute that the cat has awareness. Why do we not attribute an electron as having awareness?

We don't a f*****g clue what is 'alive' or not in existence, so I can't really say anything about what is 'dead' or not either.

Poor motivation

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2016, 6:11 am

Belief proves nothing.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2016, 7:09 am

Some, like Stuart Hameroff MD and Deepak Chopra, suggest consciousness exists as an entangled quantum field.

So, that after death, we may still exist as this field of energy.

"Could consciousness exist outside the body after death? We believe it can. We should point out that Sir Roger Penrose may not agree with our assertions about the soul, and we do not claim to speak for him. Nonetheless his work is essential to our proposal"
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/deepak-ch ... 75107.html

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2016, 8:25 am

It's nice to have a fully stocked cabinet of them.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2016, 8:51 am

I've detected some Class-III free-form floating vapors coming from the back of the house, especially since I started my fruit-and-fiber diet.

LittleLu
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Jun 2016, 8:53 am

Yes.

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes. And more yes to that. I'm probably gonna get attacked for saying this stuff, but here goes anyway. (Not like I'm unused to being ridiculed for my beliefs...)

I have seen, heard, felt, and witnessed things that I can't explain by any other means except "spirits did it." Ever seen a parked car suddenly jerk into motion after you get out of it and watch it fly down the road and crash into a fence? Probably not, but I have. Terrified beyond reason so much that I actually hitchhiked the rest of the way home because I didn't want to touch that car. Even my parents, who believe in spirits, didn't believe that account.

I've been witness to glass objects in my kitchen literally fly off the counter and smash in the middle of the floor. My wife has seen socks fly off piles of folded laundry and sale across her parents' living room. I've watched doors slam all on their own without any breeze in the house.

I've heard someone knock on my door first thing in the morning as soon as I turned on the lamp. My. Bedroom. Door. And my wife was witness to it as well. I instantly thought it was a crazy burglar and actually went to check all of the apartment and guard my baby from harm that morning out of fear. This happened the day after a particular claimed "haunted" package arrived in the mail for us from a metaphysical seller who was a witch.

My sister claims she has a little ghost boy who runs around her house giggling and knocking on doors. Even my brother in law, who is as atheist and scientific as you can get, said he couldn't explain it.

Ever used a Ouija board by yourself? I invite you to try it if you don't believe in spirits. The planchette moves by itself and I have used several different boards in my lifetime to try it. Each one, no matter its size, shape, and material, moves by itself after I open up the ritual.

Mind you I am Pagan, so I believe that multiple deities exist. The only one I don't believe in I won't mention here because I'll get lynched.

The thing about belief as it is, is that you cannot base your opinion on the matter over someone else's belief. If you're looking for your own proof, go buy yourself a Ouija or other "ghost talking" tool and try it out in your own home. Too many people go around saying "[insert ethereal being here] doesn't exist because there's no proof." Well go get your own proof if you're that inclined to believe they aren't real. THEN you have a real and valid argument.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2016, 9:23 am

^

I'd be interested in hearing what would happen if you guys tried Golden Dawn LBRP and Israel Regardie's Middle Pillar on a regular basis. Also no need for paraphernalia with LBRP, just use your pointer finger as a focus - unless you have ceremonial dagger you're already cozy with.

I really tend to think this is by and large either a sort of place memory in the more calm and situationally oriented cases or, if things are getting lifted, that its' a situation akin to some kind of deep subconscious spasm, ie. something's cracked or herniated in the foundation (for whoever these experiences keep following - it's them) the way a sleepwalker's mechanism for sleep paralysis isn't quite working right.

Also, lol, if the one deity you don't believe in would prohibit you from using Golden Dawn divine names (and no you wouldn't get lynched for saying it but yes - Golden Dawn uses loads of YHVH), you could always try Star Ruby instead. I don't know if there's a Thelemic rewrite of the divine names for Middle Pillar but I'm sure Crowley's Liber 777 could alter some alternate godforms in the middle pillar sephira that could point you in the right direction.

LittleLu
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Jun 2016, 9:44 am

Although I do have a lot of respect for Crowley's findings and the Golden Dawn, I have my own paths. ^-^ I perform Enochian Magick and work with several different deities of various faiths. I was Wiccan for a time, but decided to leave the church I was attending due to some uncomfortable circumstances with the High Priestess, and simply felt that Wicca was not my path. I'm now investigating the Luciferian path and work heavily in archaic necromancy.

I mainly meant saying "I don't believe directly in the Christian variation of God" might get people to jump down my throat on here, as I've seen quite a few devout and outward Christians posting, lol. I have no issue with respecting the name, but it's the followers I'm terrified of offending. I used to be Mormon, and now they've decided to consider me their greatest enemy in the community because I am openly into witchcraft and told them upfront that I didn't believe in their god. It used to be that they'd send their missionaries to me, but now they're sending the bigwigs from the church in a hopes to "correct" my faith. I'm days away from filing a restraining order. (Soooo a little gunshy, you could say.)

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2016, 9:55 am

LittleLu wrote:
[color=green]Although I do have a lot of respect for Crowley's findings and the Golden Dawn, I have my own paths. ^-^ I perform Enochian Magick and work with several different deities of various faiths. I was Wiccan for a time, but decided to leave the church I was attending due to some uncomfortable circumstances with the High Priestess, and simply felt that Wicca was not my path. I'm now investigating the Luciferian path and work heavily in archaic necromancy.

First I might apologize for a knee-jerk reflex on something, ie. just because things are happening might not necessarily mean that you want them to go away. Making a lot of prescriptions like that isn't always desired.

From what little I know about Enochian (it's a pretty advanced system and probably a bit too technically and bulky for me at this stage in my own unfoldment) you have the smaller of the five tables for the sub-elements of spirit. That would probably be your go-to for recalibrating things. While I am active in BOTA I don't necessarily share Paul Foster Case's evaluation of the system, just that I have understood it right - particularly by way of people like Nick Farrell and Pergrin Wildoak - that any work in Enochian is residual, building, and the results can become overpowering if that's not taken into account. To that extent the etiquette with Enochian seems quite a bit like gun-range etiquette with respect to user safety.

Personally I've been enjoying a lot of Mark Stavish's work and his Institute of Hermetic Studies recordings on Youtube. I'm not sure if would necessarily be your thing but I'm amazed by how much good information is there.

LittleLu
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Jun 2016, 10:06 am

[quote=techstepgenr8tion]First I might apologize for a knee-jerk reflex on something, ie. just because things are happening might not necessarily mean that you want them to go away. Making a lot of prescriptions like that isn't always desired.

From what little I know about Enochian (it's a pretty advanced system and probably a bit too technically and bulky for me at this stage in my own unfoldment) you have the smaller of the five tables for the sub-elements of spirit. That would probably be your go-to for recalibrating things. While I am active in BOTA I don't necessarily share Paul Foster Case's evaluation of the system, just that I have understood it right - particularly by way of people like Nick Farrell and Pergrin Wildoak - that any work in Enochian is residual, building, and the results can become overpowering if that's not taken into account. To that extent the etiquette with Enochian seems quite a bit like gun-range etiquette with respect to user safety.

Personally I've been enjoying a lot of Mark Stavish's work and his Institute of Hermetic Studies recordings on Youtube. I'm not sure if would necessarily be your thing but I'm amazed by how much good information is there.[/quote]

I'm actually still in the student stages of Enochian Magick, and haven't been in it too long. It is quite technical, but what drew me in was the linguistic side of it. Studying the Enochian alphabet and using language for meditation and vision magick is very fascinating to me. I base most of my Enochian work off the original texts of John Dee and Edward Kelley, as I'm not a big fan of the Golden Dawn's variation. (Though I do like it as well!) There's definitely no "official" system of Enochian, which I think makes it that much more interesting because a lot of the work is up to the magician, and not based on dogmatic thinking or following directions or instructions.

And no need to apologize. XD Everyone's entitled to their opinions on a matter no matter what it be. As far as the spiritual happenings in my home, some were desired and others were not. I actually work in the line of metaphysics and spirit communication, so I'm entirely used to it all. My own philosophical standpoint when it comes to "rationalizing" spiritual activity is still in the line of metaphysics. Spirits, in my belief, are made up of energy, as everything else is. The thoughtforms created from people's imaginations have just as much power and energy to them as a spirit would. Are spirits simply thoughtforms? For that I'll keep my opinion to myself, but it's an interesting thought.