Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2013, 10:19 am

About time too. If it weren't for his efforts we'd probably be speaking German now.

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2013/12/23/qu ... us-pardon/

My deviant art profile

ModusPonens
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2013, 10:39 am

I agree it's about time for this to happen.

But Turing doesn't need the pardon from these mediocre people. What he did, the queen and Gordon Brown, etc. wouldn't do in 10 lifetimes.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2013, 10:53 am

The U.K. finally did something right, for a change.

rokendearp
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 Dec 2013, 12:05 pm

It should have been a grovelling apology to the world, the queen on her knees professing shame for her genetically challenged line to allow such hideous acts by small minds to a man they barely deserved to be born in the same era as.

I suspect someone will be getting a soundbite going for the Nerd vote, probably hear now how Cameron only got into politics after a vision of Nelson Mandela discussing his future with Alan Turing and that it was his inspiration to create change in the world, by promoting anti apartheid cryptology and advanced mathematics in Bletchley Parks new "Mandela Turing - Rock School" for the advancement of Pop, humanitarianism and a bit of that science stuff.

Miliband is probably thinking how some piece of cloth with the supposed face of jesus was any help during the war, and how to you prosecute a piece of cloth for being gay?

They are stacking up the good news, royal weddings and babies for the empty, a pardon for a crime that never was for outraged semi-thinkers. The last 10% don't vote anyway because they understand that a choice between a sh*t and a turd is no choice at all.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2013, 12:29 pm

to knead festering dogshit into a gaping bloody wound, the conservative government tried to block the apology on the grounds that "he broke the law of the day".

My deviant art profile

rokendearp

30 Dec 2013, 12:39 pm

thomas81 wrote:
to knead festering dogshit into a gaping bloody wound, the conservative government tried to block the apology on the grounds that "he broke the law of the day".

Covering all sides, take the glory if they love it, but we tried to stop it if everyone hates it.

They should just replace parliament with one big fence for everyone to sit on.

If it wasn't for Guy Fawkes catholicism I would call for his return, silly hat too.

ModusPonens
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2013, 1:00 pm

rokendearp wrote:
It should have been a grovelling apology to the world, the queen on her knees professing shame for her genetically challenged line to allow such hideous acts by small minds to a man they barely deserved to be born in the same era as.

I suspect someone will be getting a soundbite going for the Nerd vote, probably hear now how Cameron only got into politics after a vision of Nelson Mandela discussing his future with Alan Turing and that it was his inspiration to create change in the world, by promoting anti apartheid cryptology and advanced mathematics in Bletchley Parks new "Mandela Turing - Rock School" for the advancement of Pop, humanitarianism and a bit of that science stuff.

Miliband is probably thinking how some piece of cloth with the supposed face of jesus was any help during the war, and how to you prosecute a piece of cloth for being gay?

They are stacking up the good news, royal weddings and babies for the empty, a pardon for a crime that never was for outraged semi-thinkers. The last 10% don't vote anyway because they understand that a choice between a sh*t and a turd is no choice at all.

That was an awosome rant! :D

rokendearp

30 Dec 2013, 1:29 pm

ModusPonens wrote:
rokendearp wrote:

That was an awosome rant! :D

Thanks, as usual my plea for an international Catharsis, Unification, Neutralisation Training holiday has been ignored, us minority believers will continue without preaching. ;P

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2013, 3:00 pm

It says a lot about how backward Britain actually was and still is in many ways. Can you imagine if Einstein had been imprisoned or forced to take chemicals so that he grew boobs?

However, I take this apology as an admission by our Queen that the attitudes of her country were wrong in the 1950s.

She should also apologize for allowing David Cameron to become Prime Minister.

salamandaqwerty
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2013, 4:21 pm

Bit too late for Alan

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2013, 4:53 pm

I'm pleased he was pardoned.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2013, 4:53 pm

salamandaqwerty wrote:
Bit too late for Alan

its not all bad news, theres now a campaign to have his face on the next ten pound note design.

My deviant art profile

rokendearp

30 Dec 2013, 5:06 pm

thomas81 wrote:
salamandaqwerty wrote:
Bit too late for Alan

its not all bad news, theres now a campaign to have his face on the next ten pound note design.

It should be him naked with his favourite lover on an enigma machine and an unsolvable paradoxical logic problem and a weekly game show where the public can try to solve it for the chance at their own reality show or be shot, each one forced to scream sorry my line survived Alan, but justice is served!

Hologram of course, don't want easy forgeries!

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2013, 6:59 pm

It is a close as Her Majesty's Government can come to apologizing for a great wrong done to a British Hero who helped to save his country from defeat in a war.

ruveyn

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

30 Dec 2013, 7:25 pm

thomas81 wrote:
salamandaqwerty wrote:
Bit too late for Alan

He'd be a deserving candidate, but would need to wait until around 2030 when the Austen ones need replacing.

Personally though, I'm quite happy with the people we have currently. Fry was an important humanitarian, Darwin probably the most important biologist ever (and certainly the most famous and iconic), Smith was at the top of his field and made important arguments for loosening national borders (though I would prefer Bentham and/or Mill, or Hume). He can go on the £50.

I find the new line up, of Churchill/Austen/Smith/Watt and Boulton, to be underwhelming. I'd prefer Fry/Darwin/Bentham/AN Other (Turing and Seacole could both work).

Ideally, I'd like to see the Queen removed from the front and replaced with a Prime Minister. I'd have Lloyd George on the fiver, Atlee on the £10, and Churchill on the £20- the colours would then work well, as the Welshman is on the green note, the Labour one is on the red note, and the Conservative is on the blue note. The £50 is tricky, good cases can be made for Wilson, Thatcher and (the Duke of) Wellington. Wilson is probably the most deserving, but Thatcher would a) represent women and b) allow 2 conservatives v 2 progressives. Wellington, however, was a driver of social change, a war hero, AND a Tory, as well as being less controversial than Thatcher, so probably makes most sense.