Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2014, 11:17 pm

http://watnawamin.org/gallery/watyan

I have been a Buddhist for a long time but this image is a bit frightening to me. Certainly not, in my mind, is going to promote Buddhism. Very ostentatious and excessive it seems, for Buddhism, but I think the west has pretty much bastardized every religion by now. This is more akin to one of the mega churches that make me want to vomit three weeks of breakfasts every time I see one

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2014, 11:52 pm

I couldn't get the image to appear.
There was a full page ad in one Buddhist magazine that had a big gaudy gold ring with the OM symbol on it.The ad said it was to show the world what you believe in.You could buy a lot of meals for the homeless for the price of one of those rings.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2014, 11:57 pm

Misslizard wrote:
You could buy a lot of meals for the homeless for the price of one of those rings.

Instead, you buy a whole lot of meals for a handful of people who do little more constructive than burn incense, chant, pray, and sell cheap, gaudy jewelry.

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2014, 12:06 am

It is Wat Namawin temple in Boston, a huge mansion. They have a FB page with some pictures and links. It seems anything associated with Buddhism is America is about money. Everything it seems but Magnolia Grove Vietnamese monastery in Batesville Mississippi. And there is a Thai Temple in California for westerners where I think they accept people pretty easily to become monks, and people can visit and sleep in tents in the nearby Olive groves for free if space is available. There is also a temple in Thailand exclusively for westerners to go and become monks. Japanese and Korean Buddhism in America, especially the big cities, seem all about making money.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2014, 12:14 am

khaoz wrote:
... It seems anything associated with Buddhism is America is about money...

What did you expect?

It's RELIGION, dude!

:roll: :lol:

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2014, 12:38 am

The retreat center I went to was pretty nice about letting people that couldn't pay for the teachings to work there instead,like helping to get the meals ready and clean up.The nuns and monks there had jobs to earn a living rather than being supported by the sangha.Its a nice place but not fancy.They also had plenty of good food and snacks.The prices for classes were reasonable compared to some places I've seen advertised.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2014, 7:38 am

Is this it?

http://watnawamin.org/

http://arcusa.com/node/71

It looks something like an American retirement home, but with a big stupa on the roof.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2014, 7:42 am

khaoz wrote:
Certainly not, in my mind, is going to promote Buddhism. Very ostentatious and excessive it seems, for Buddhism, but I think the west has pretty much bastardized every religion by now. This is more akin to one of the mega churches that make me want to vomit three weeks of breakfasts every time I see one

Actually, the Buddhist temples in SouthEast Asia are quite big on ostentation and excess.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=an0iToHmyfk[/youtube]

That new one in Massachusetts is rather modest and utilitarian in comparison.

wornlight
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Feb 2014, 11:15 am

the temple in the link appears to be a markedly thai expression, centered around the thai community in the boston area. in any case, it's not as though theravadin monks solicit monetary donations or handle money. american dharma centers that are not specifically centered around asian expatriates, of those that i am familiar with, seem to be of a more pragmatic orientation. far from bastardization, what i'm seeing from prominent western dharma teachers is, with a perfunctory lip-service to the 'special effects', a focus on the practical application of buddhist teachings to understanding stress and ultimately how to experience less of it.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2014, 8:14 am

wornlight wrote:
... what i'm seeing from prominent western dharma teachers is, with a perfunctory lip-service to the 'special effects', a focus on the practical application of buddhist teachings to understanding stress and ultimately how to experience less of it.

More wealth --> Less stress

THAT is what Buddhism teaches, by example.

While you're busy mastering the full lotus and the full frontal om, the monks are collecting your 'donations' and living in comfort.

Of course, they have to put on a show of piety; but what religious leader doesn't?

Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2014, 8:38 am

khaoz wrote:
http://watnawamin.org/gallery/watyan

I have been a Buddhist for a long time but this image is a bit frightening to me. Certainly not, in my mind, is going to promote Buddhism. Very ostentatious and excessive it seems, for Buddhism, but I think the west has pretty much bastardized every religion by now. This is more akin to one of the mega churches that make me want to vomit three weeks of breakfasts every time I see one

Its not a western thing, its a universal thing. Although, I have never encountered anything quite so gaudy as wealth in Beijing. I really want to see the Pagoda in Rangoon and its hopefully going to happen in the next few months.

http://www.nst.com.my/thai-monks-rebuke ... 2F7.320411

Was not spoken of the soul.