Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2014, 9:36 am

This is a common saying amongst conservatives. If one follows the law then one has nothing to worry about.

With thousands of laws on the books how is it possible to be able to know and follow every single law that exists? Are any of following every single law that exists and is it possible for one to do this? If it is not then how are any of us USA citizens law abiding citizens?

Dragoness
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Feb 2014, 11:12 am

Good question. I think if you try to follow the laws that you do know, the police and the legal system won't go too hard on you (as long as your white). That's probably the preferred conservative model.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2014, 11:13 am

I hear the average U.S. citizen commits 3 federal felonies a day.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2014, 3:58 am

No man can obey all of the law.

No cop or judge knows all of the law.

But "ignorance of the law is no excuse" is still the nonsense they spew at the accused.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2014, 5:15 am

I am a law abiding citizen.

Well, I am probably about 85% of the time.

There are things I do that go against the law, but I don't really think it automatically makes me a bad person.

There are so many laws, and it's getting harder and harder to be law abiding.

syzygyish
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2014, 8:29 am

The Law, like Religion, is a net for catching and punishing those who disabuse or disagree with the majority authority

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2014, 10:51 am

zer0netgain wrote:
No man can obey all of the law.

No cop or judge knows all of the law.

But "ignorance of the law is no excuse" is still the nonsense they spew at the accused.

Based upon your first two statements, when conservatives state "if one follows the law, one has nothing to worry about" they're full of crap and have their heads up their ass.

thewhitrbbit
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2014, 12:16 pm

I've always taken law abiding citizen to be someone who is of good character, who doesn't commit major crimes, stuff like that.

But your absolutely right, it is rediculous how many laws our society has.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2014, 7:47 pm

cubedemon6073 wrote:
This is a common saying amongst conservatives. If one follows the law then one has nothing to worry about.

It's hardly unique to conservatives, generally it's said by whoever is supporting the law in question, or whichever party is in power depending upon the circumstances.

- Rick Sanchez

appletheclown
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2014, 9:19 pm

One of my favorite terms...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWteX6TmMrI[/youtube]

sonofghandi
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2014, 10:48 am

Dox47 wrote:
cubedemon6073 wrote:

It's hardly unique to conservatives, generally it's said by whoever is supporting the law in question, or whichever party is in power depending upon the circumstances.

^this

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2014, 10:56 am

cubedemon6073 wrote:

With thousands of laws on the books how is it possible to be able to know and follow every single law that exists? Are any of following every single law that exists and is it possible for one to do this? If it is not then how are any of us USA citizens law abiding citizens?

The Congresscritters have worked hard and long to make each and everyone of us a criminal.

ruveyn