Another Detroit Turnaround Plan: 50,000 Immigrants

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2014, 6:25 pm

The governor of Michigan, Rick Synder has asked the Obama administration for 50,000 EB-2 visas (of highly skilled / advanced degree people) to immigrate 50,000 skilled/educated professional immigrants into the city of Detroit.

Snyder is asking that 5,000 visas be issued in the first year, with 10,000 in each of the next three years, and 15,000 in the fifth year.

A good plan ?

sources,
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/01/ ... P120140123

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

25 May 2014, 6:37 pm

There are too many recent college graduates that are unemployed in this country, there isn't any shortage of workers. If Detroit wants to reverse its population decline then maybe instead of importing foreigners with fake qualifications, offer to help pay off the student loans of these highly skilled workers from this country that they supposedly need.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2014, 6:45 pm

Jacoby wrote:
There are too many recent college graduates that are unemployed in this country, there isn't any shortage of workers. If Detroit wants to reverse its population decline then maybe instead of importing foreigners with fake qualifications.

wow talk about america-centricism. What exactly ascertains that their qualifications are automatically fake other than their being foreigners?

Its this sort of attitude that frustrates immigrants attempts to amalgamate better and become the sort of contributing, upstanding american citizens you want them to be.

My deviant art profile

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2014, 7:39 pm

It should be pretty obvious that it would be better to employ available Americans over going to the effort to bring in a bunch of foreigners. The only reason to do otherwise would be if there were more jobs than Americans to do them or that they can't get Americans to work in Detroit.

TheGoggles
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2014, 8:21 pm

Ah, the Dubai Method.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2014, 9:43 pm

Raptor wrote:
It should be pretty obvious that it would be better to employ available Americans over going to the effort to bring in a bunch of foreigners. The only reason to do otherwise would be if there were more jobs than Americans to do them or that they can't get Americans to work in Detroit.

Its difficult to argue with that logic but I really dislike the idea that because they are foreigners it automatically renders any qualifications they have from their own countries invalid.

My deviant art profile

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2014, 9:51 pm

thomas81 wrote:
Raptor wrote:

Its difficult to argue with that logic but I really dislike the idea that because they are foreigners it automatically renders any qualifications they have from their own countries invalid.

It has nothing to do with qualifications. Can you show me where I said otherwise?
It's called America first where jobs are concerned and we'll fill slots with others after that's been taken care of.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2014, 9:56 pm

Raptor wrote:
thomas81 wrote:
Raptor wrote:

It has nothing to do with qualifications. Can you show me where I said otherwise?
It's called America first where jobs are concerned and we'll fill slots with others after that's been taken care of.

No, It was a response to Jacoby's assertion that because they're foreigners their qualifications are automatically bogus or fake. Its perfectly reasonable you would only (actively) import skills from overseas if there is a shortfall in the indigenous population.

Though I'm not sure what flexibility the city of Detroit has to be picky, given the state its been left in by consecutive Rep-Dem governments.

My deviant art profile

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

25 May 2014, 10:14 pm

thomas81 wrote:
Jacoby wrote:
There are too many recent college graduates that are unemployed in this country, there isn't any shortage of workers. If Detroit wants to reverse its population decline then maybe instead of importing foreigners with fake qualifications.

wow talk about america-centricism. What exactly ascertains that their qualifications are automatically fake other than their being foreigners?

Its this sort of attitude that frustrates immigrants attempts to amalgamate better and become the sort of contributing, upstanding american citizens you want them to be.

They're not automatically fake but there is a lot of abuse in the system. I don't have 1st hand knowledge I will admit but I've heard from people and read that a lot of these workers particularly these H-1b ones come in with fake qualifications and experience so companies can pay them less in bad working conditions with them having no recourse but to return to their home countries. It's bad for American workers and the foreigners they bring in. The "shortage" of skilled workers in this country is a myth, they just don't want wages to rise. There more STEM grads from this country than there are STEM jobs yet these companies are still begging the government to import these workers.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2014, 11:47 pm

Bring back the Homestead act.

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2014, 12:07 am

Why not just invest in the education of American workers? There are Americans who are out of work college graduates looking for work. Firts Conservatives want to send all of our jobs overseas. Now Conservatives want to import foriegn workers to take jobs that Americans can do.

Why?

Because they think they can make more money paying poor, third world immigrants.

Conservatives do not care about America. How much more clear can they make it?

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2014, 3:09 am

Misslizard wrote:
Bring back the Homestead act.

Detroit is giving homes away for free, and hundreds of them are selling for $1

khaoz wrote:
Why not just invest in the education of American workers? There are Americans who are out of work college graduates looking for work. Firts Conservatives want to send all of our jobs overseas. Now Conservatives want to import foriegn workers to take jobs that Americans can do.

Why?

Because they think they can make more money paying poor, third world immigrants.

Poor schools, high crime, and Detroit makes its residents pay a 2% city income tax, so generally educated/ professional Americans generally won't live there. They move to the suburbs.

These people will have to live in Detroit.

Last edited by LoveNotHate on 26 May 2014, 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

RunningFox
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 May 2014, 3:13 am

khaoz wrote:

Why?

Are you one of those paid trolls who job is to screw with ideas in the internet? Why in the hell can you not join a topic without making some idiot political remark? I swear some people have no lives. Do you know what the average high skilled foreign worker makes in the U.S.?

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2014, 6:20 am

I think they just need to do some heavy leveling. So many abandoned properties, roads that shouldn't be there, infrastructure that has to be similarly maintained, property maintenance needing to be paid to keep methlabs and far worse things out of those houses and factories, etc..

It's a bit like back in the 20th century we had a great template for growing cities but no plan for what to do when industrial demographics change and those cities collapse back down again. It's similar to the person who has a good job, buys all the house they can afford, and then loses their job except that the individual goes bankrupt and the problem goes away, not so for cities.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2014, 6:49 am

Great idea.

Bring in a ton of people but have NO JOBS for them when they arrive. :roll:

Typical political think.

The workers won't create the jobs. Entrepreneurs create the jobs.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2014, 7:24 am

zer0netgain wrote:
The workers won't create the jobs. Entrepreneurs create the jobs.

It looks like that's the idea of what they're trying to do.

The question is will these entrepreneurs be able to do something successful or will they be squashed under the thumb of corporatism and local politics? Cleveland and Buffalo have both been in a bind mainly because of business-averse behavior (regardless of, like Detroit, having huge bodies of fresh water right there). Cleveland seems to at least be springing back in medical and R&D but that's still a rather specific market - I'm hoping it'll lead to broader expansion in other areas.