Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Cash__
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2014, 7:09 pm

I can't fathom this? Why would 1 out of 6 French people support ISIS? I don't understand? See link.

1 out of 6 French people support ISIS

Humanaut
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2014, 7:16 pm

Islam is the second-most widely practiced religion in France behind Roman Catholicism by number of worshippers. With an estimated total of 5 to 10 percent of the national population, France has the largest number of Muslims in Western Europe. The majority of Muslims in France belong to the Sunni denomination.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islam_in_France

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2014, 7:16 pm

Well that's weird.Doesn't Islam have dietary restrictions?Will the French be able to consume escargot under Sharia law?

Cash__
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2014, 7:59 pm

Humanaut wrote:
Islam is the second-most widely practiced religion in France behind Roman Catholicism by number of worshippers. With an estimated total of 5 to 10 percent of the national population, France has the largest number of Muslims in Western Europe. The majority of Muslims in France belong to the Sunni denomination.

I knew they had a big muslim population. But making a worse case scenario, let's say it is 10% and that all of them are radicalized. That still means that 6% of non-muslim French people still support ISIS. That's a worse case scenario. Chances are not every muslim in France is radicalized and realistically, we should use a percent in the middle of the reported amount. So somewhere around 1 in 10 of non-muslim French people support ISIS. Seems crazy to me. I don't get it.

Cash__
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2014, 8:00 pm

Misslizard wrote:
Well that's weird.Doesn't Islam have dietary restrictions?Will the French be able to consume escargot under Sharia law?

You can eat whatever you want if you hide it under your veil and burka.

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2014, 8:08 pm

Misslizard wrote:

I think snails are not forbidden for Muslims. They are for Jews though. You would like the kosher diet, reptiles and amphibians are forbidden.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2014, 8:08 pm

So those women have spools and spools of sausages under their burka?Someone tell Homer Simpson.

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2014, 8:13 pm

Cash__ wrote:
Humanaut wrote:

I knew they had a big muslim population. But making a worse case scenario, let's say it is 10% and that all of them are radicalized. That still means that 6% of non-muslim French people still support ISIS. That's a worse case scenario. Chances are not every muslim in France is radicalized and realistically, we should use a percent in the middle of the reported amount. So somewhere around 1 in 10 of non-muslim French people support ISIS. Seems crazy to me. I don't get it.

I think that in just about any poll there is at least a 10% of people who have a batcrap crazy opinion. There was a poll in the Netherlands and 10% of people said they believed gay people should be in jail. Anyone saying that 5-8% of the population should be in jail is CRAAAYZEEEY.
Maybe for some people saying they support ISIS is because they hate what they see as the enemies of ISIS: the US, Israel, European governments, Assad.... just about anyone really. Maybe the Gaza conflict made all this more emotional.
I doubt many of those 16% would support the actual policies of ISIS in their own area.

Humanaut
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2014, 8:16 pm

Cash__ wrote:
Humanaut wrote:

Growing anti-Semitic sentiments among other groups could, perhaps, explain the discrepancy.

Newsweek?s France Correspondent, Anne-Elizabeth Moutet, was unsurprised by the news. ?This is the ideology of young French Muslims from immigrant backgrounds,? she said, ?unemployed to the tune of 40%, who?ve been deluged by satellite TV and internet propaganda.? She pointed to a correlation between support for ISIS and rising anti-Semitism in France, adding that ?these are the same people who torch synagogues?.
http://www.newsweek.com/16-french-citiz ... nds-266795

Anyway, France and six other nations have commited to arming the Kurds.
http://www.defense.gov/news/newsarticle.aspx?id=123016

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2014, 8:20 pm

trollcatman wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

I think snails are not forbidden for Muslims. They are for Jews though. You would like the kosher diet, reptiles and amphibians are forbidden.

No land snails,they are vermin.Someone tell the French!!' :D
http://islamqa.info/en/114855

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2014, 8:29 pm

Misslizard wrote:
trollcatman wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

No land snails,they are vermin.Someone tell the French!!' :D
http://islamqa.info/en/114855

Hmm, I did not know that. Those people seem to have a strange definition of "insects and vermin" though. I don't know that they really have a lot of land snails in Arabia though. Probably a bit too dry for them.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2014, 2:19 am

As someone who lives in France, I have to call BS on this; it sounds like propaganda. What did they do? Interview a bunch of Muslims wearing bandanas in a Muslim neighbourhood in a Paris suburb as they exited a mosque chanting ISIS, ISIS?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2014, 2:27 am

Seeing the poll numbers, with ISIS support being the lowest in Germany, I can honestly say that I'm happy that the country of my ancestors is displaying the most common sense. :lol:

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2014, 6:40 am

Cash__ wrote:
Humanaut wrote:

You know those contrarian Frenchies. They like ANY thing that the USA doesnt like. Jerry Lewis, ISIS, its all the same!

Humanaut
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2014, 9:44 am

Bear in mind that the survey was conducted before Foley's beheading. After that, people became aware of ISIS' methods. They have probably lost most of the support by now.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2014, 10:17 am

Humanaut wrote:
Bear in mind that the survey was conducted before Foley's beheading. After that, people became aware of ISIS' methods. They have probably lost most of the support by now.

Can't say I know anybody here in France who support ISIS; but then I don't move in fundamentalist Islamic circles.