Do you think IS jihadis should be stripped of citizenship?

Page 1 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2014, 4:43 am

As title.

There is a popular sentiment in the UK at the moment like this. The political party I'm involved in supports that, and we have a very old low going back well over a century that would allow us to strip jihadists of their citizenship were they to try to come back to the UK.

What do you think? Do you support this?

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2014, 4:57 am

The best solution would be to set up a camp on the Isle of Wight. Call it something like Witmo and simply lock up all ISIS supporters there indefinitely without any legal recourse or rights. Or just shoot the buggers and be done. Either way, in my opinion their behaviour precludes them from remaining citizens of the UK... they are inhuman terrorist scum and should be treated as such.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2014, 5:40 am

I have no idea of how it's done in the UK, but when somebody is convicted of a felony in the US, they essentially have their rights of citizenship stripped from them, and in varying degrees from state to state these rights generally are not restored upon release from prison. --Not exactly fair, but it happens.

That being said though, jihadis are quite often immigrants, but unlike other immigrants who plan to take part and contribute to a society, these guys are essentially paying back the generosity of a host nation by attempting to undermine and destroy it's society. -- So in short, F*** them.

Furthermore, if they travel to another country to take part in their jihad, then they should have to deal with the problems that they have caused in that country, via that particular countries' judicial system. The Foreign ISIS fighters have every right to judicial proceedings and outcomes in both Iraq and Syria.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2014, 7:04 am

Fogman wrote:
I have no idea of how it's done in the UK, but when somebody is convicted of a felony in the US, they essentially have their rights of citizenship stripped from them, and in varying degrees from state to state these rights generally are not restored upon release from prison. --Not exactly fair, but it happens..

After they have served their sentence if they are natural born they are still citizens, this is the same in the US. If they weren't natural born they can be deported, so long as there is a country to go to.

I vote for the the south pole. We can put them on the south georgia / sandwich islands. Then arm the penguins.

You could do what China does, which is simply not let them back in and disown them. But I don't trust that will work.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2014, 7:05 am

Yes, and then sent back to the IS, never to return again.

Humanaut
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2014, 7:25 am

They should be court-martialed and shot if they ever return.

CosmicRuss
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2014, 7:26 am

They should be made to complete 3 hours of unpaid community work. That seems to be the going rate of punishment in the UK. :roll:

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2014, 7:29 am

There are actual Salafi mosques in the UK.

Personally I think we need to re-address our relationships with the Gulf states too, they have provided direct and indirect funding to ISIS.

I'm deliberating on how to deal with this becuase these group do well out of publicity, that is how terror works. So in a way our reaction to them can have the effect of legitimizing them. I notice Obama deliberately calls them ISIL not IS, in the UK we call them ISIS.

On the other hand they are very self-sufficient now.

Their strategy does rely heavily on valleys rivers and roads, and part of the reason why they were so successful in that part of Iraq is they could cover the terrain easily.

I do think we need to cut off their routes, use the same divide and conquer.

Aslo there is has to be soemthign to to be said about the propensity of one or other group to shoot themselves in the foot to spite another. That is part of the reason why they were unopposed, particularly in the Sunni regions.

Another reeason, is it fact there is local support for them, where they, go this is the reality of the situation.

Some Yazidis reported that their neighbors turned on them before ISIS.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2014, 7:31 am

Humanaut wrote:

Court martial only is to do with soldiers of that nation. Solders of other nations, military court is not relevant. there are other courts for that.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2014, 7:48 am

Maybe we should call them ISHIT

Islamic State of Hairy Imbecile Tw*** :lol:

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2014, 7:58 am

0_equals_true wrote:
Another reeason, is it fact there is local support for them, where they, go this is the reality of the situation.

I wonder what the women there think about this? Strict Islamic rules effectively making them the property of their husbands, having their clitoris cut off and various other barbaric practices and restrictions. It baffles me that the locals would actually want to return to life as it was in the middle ages with no medical care, no sanitation, no running water or electricity, not much of anything civilised society takes for granted.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2014, 8:13 am

How many actually flocked to the Afghanistan under the Taliban?

I strongly believe that a lot of the local support, and the endemic problem in the region has it roots in neurosis and victim complex. This drive a huge amount of paranoia and factionalism, and it has been going on like this for 13 centuries. This is where most of the self-righteousness come from. I doubt most of them really would want such a life when they actually expedience it.

We need to challenge this idea.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2014, 8:16 am

Their views are also very fickle, they are willing to tell themselves they can live an "immoral" life, but as soon as an Islamic state is impose, they can suddenly switch like a light switch in to this mode. The reality will be different.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2014, 9:03 am

0_equals_true wrote:
There are actual Salafi mosques in the UK.

I favour investigating Deobandi and Salafi mosques. That's about half or more of all mosques in Britain to start with.

Humanaut
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2014, 10:08 am

0_equals_true wrote:
Humanaut wrote:

Court martial only is to do with soldiers of that nation.

Nope.

...courts-martial may be used to try prisoners of war for war crimes. The Geneva Convention requires that POWs who are on trial for war crimes be subject to the same procedures as would be the holding military's own forces.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Court-martial

Atom1966
Toucan
Toucan

23 Aug 2014, 10:50 am

Ofcourse their citizenship should be taken away from them and the possibility of ever returning to the country their parents or forefathers migrated to should be taken away from them!

It is obvious that they have rejected the values of the western countries they came from, only to make a completely different choice instead. No one forced them to do it. They did it by their own free will! Because of the fact that they have already engaged themselves in the most atrocious forms of violence known to mankind by becoming jihadist fools, it has become much easier for them to do the same in the country they came from and the general population has to be protected from that. The chance that they have radicilized even further is there as well ofcourse. A small minority will come to the conclusion that they have made a serious mistake but the majority of them is probably too ignorant to come to that realization. I don't know a lot about islam but the people who made the choice to become jihadist killers are obviously too stupid to understand their own religion. They are just using it as a tool to unleash their personal frustrations and rage. It is very unlikely that they are ever going to become an asset to any society, which they probabley never have been in the first place.

Last edited by Atom1966 on 23 Aug 2014, 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.