Page 1 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

pokerface
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2013, 11:13 pm

This may sound strange but that is my secret plan for the future. No one knows about it yet and that is probably for the best.
I wonder it's possible when you are diagnosed with aspergers but I am certainly going to give it a try.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2013, 1:41 am

http://www.cttbusa.org
There are cloistered monks and nuns here, at least a few of whom are western. It's a beautiful setting.

pokerface
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2013, 1:45 pm

I have clicked on the link and it seems like a beautiful and wonderful place but I do wonder if it is some sort of a commercial organization because it comes across as a holiday resort instead of a buddhist monastery.

I have been considering this for a number of years but It will take years befor I will take the definite step though. My mum and grandmother need my help from time to time so it is impossible for me to leave at the moment which I don't mind. This choice will cause an upheaval of enormous proportions within my family and I 'don't know if I am really suitable for becoming a buddhist nun. That may be a proces of trial and error. Furthermore ,I am not certain at all if there will ever be a monastery that is willing to accept me.

Besides, I like several forms of buddhism and I find it almost impossible to make a definite choice. Zen appeals to me but Tibetan buddhism offers a wider range of meditations and an intensive study of the dharma. That does not mean that I am not determined. Once I focus on something I don't tend to let go.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2013, 1:50 pm

I suggest you visit a few places, maybe for a weekend or short retreat first to see how well you like the places and people and how well you fit it. I did the same thing when I was 18 and ended up staying and became a monk. I left a little over a year later and went to university but I don't regret my monastic days.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2013, 1:54 pm

You should do several retreats and attend teachings before you make a choice.You don't have to be a nun to go on retreat,I have some friends that are doing a three year retreat.They have less than a year to go.One person drooped out,it is harder for people that like to be social.If you go for Tibetan,there is an incredible amount of ritual and symbolism.

pokerface
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2013, 2:32 pm

I am not planning on entering a monastery anytime soon. I have a lot of learning to do beforehand.
Do any of you have any suggestions about places that organize good retreats?

arielhawksquill
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2013, 2:33 pm

Gosh, why did you post about it then? Were you hoping to be talked out of it?

pokerface
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2013, 2:45 pm

arielhawksquill wrote:
Gosh, why did you post about it then? Were you hoping to be talked out of it?

I can't be talked out of it. Like I mentioned before, once I have zoned in on something it sticks.
Posting about it is a sign that I made some sort of a definite decision and this post makes it even more definite in a strange sort of way. It is just a proces that takes time in my case. Hurrying into something does not makes much sense to me.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2013, 2:49 pm

pokerface wrote:
I am not planning on entering a monastery anytime soon. I have a lot of learning to do beforehand.
Do any of you have any suggestions about places that organize good retreats?

I'm in the US,so I can't be much help.Any center that is truly interested in the Dharma and not profits will offer you a chance to work, and then you can attend retreats for free.I never paid for any teachings or retreats.I even found offerings on my cushion once when I helped at Shedra.

pokerface
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2013, 3:36 pm

What where your experiences when it comes to retreats?
Is it extra hard when you have aspergers and did people accept you for who you are. Did they know you have aspergers? I have loads of questions.

Last edited by pokerface on 13 Dec 2013, 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2013, 3:52 pm

Everyone I encountered was very open,some knew that I am different mentally.It didn't matter.Some guessed,I had several make Temple Grandin remarks,but never in a bad way.
The center I went to had several people wearing signs that said "observing silence,"so you can go to studies without talking.
Everyone is very accepting,that was maybe a issue for me,I started getting invites to people's homes to watch movies and even visitors.Sometimes it was very awesome,my teacher even came to visit once.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khentrul_L ... e_Rinpoche
I haven't been in awhile,I should go back.Its also hard when people are really friendly,sort of overwhelming.

pokerface
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2013, 4:01 pm

Misslizard wrote:
Everyone I encountered was very open,some knew that I am different mentally.It didn't matter.Some guessed,I had several make Temple Grandin remarks,but never in a bad way.
The center I went to had several people wearing signs that said "observing silence,"so you can go to studies without talking.
Everyone is very accepting,that was maybe a issue for me,I started getting invites to people's homes to watch movies and even visitors.Sometimes it was very awesome,my teacher even came to visit once.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khentrul_L ... e_Rinpoche
I haven't been in awhile,I should go back.Its also hard when people are really friendly,sort of overwhelming.

Friendly and kind people can be quite overwhelming but that is probably caused by the fact that we are not used to being treated with kindness by others Seems to me like your experiences were quite positive and that doesn't do anybody any harm I think.

pokerface
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2013, 4:05 pm

Misslizard wrote:
You should do several retreats and attend teachings before you make a choice.You don't have to be a nun to go on retreat,I have some friends that are doing a three year retreat.They have less than a year to go.One person drooped out,it is harder for people that like to be social.If you go for Tibetan,there is an incredible amount of ritual and symbolism.

That is true but eventhough I certainly don't claim to know everything about tibetan buddhism there is to know I think these ritals are not there for the sake of ritualism in itself. They probably have a lot of depth, meaning and learning value.
Besides, there are quite a number of rituals in zen buddhism as well.

TheBicyclingGuitarist
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2013, 4:21 pm

The 20th century philosopher and "spiritual entertainer" Alan Watts traveled the world in the 1960s explaining eastern philosophies to western audiences. He spoke a few times about westerners wanting to learn eastern philosophies. One problem with westerners going to eastern spiritual centers (a westerner going to a Zen monastery in Japan was the example he used) is that the rituals do have a purpose, yes, for the people of that culture. Many of the rituals and techniques of those schools are used to break the bonds of the culture those people grew up in and live in so they can see things in a new way outside the way their culture conditions them to see.

For westerners, those rituals and techniques may be worse than useless because we come from a different culture entirely. You are basically learning something just to unlearn it. But you can't expect a particular school or tradition to change its curriculum for people from another culture even if the end result may be enlightenment. I'd suggest just be aware of the possibility some of the teachings and methods used may not even be necessary if you know what is going on and why those teachings and methods exist.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to live a monastic life. The routine and peace and quiet should be very nice for someone with autism. But if the goal is to seek spiritual awakening or enlightenment, that can be done much more simply. Alan Watts also said something to the effect that yes, spiritual instruction is needed IF you think it is needed. People make all kinds of excuses to themselves, saying it will take years of dedication and meditation and sacrifice, but there are other people who just say psshaw, why is that necessary, and they are enlightened instantly.

A warning about Alan Watts: some say he did not really teach Zen; he taught about Alan Watts. To some degree this is true, but he was an eclectic genius on many subjects with a very broad perspective and awareness of the limitations we all have from our own culture and even the structure of the language we think our thoughts in.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2013, 5:00 pm

You should go to China and become one of those shaolin monks.

That way you can learn buddhism and kung fu at the same time.

My deviant art profile

pokerface
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2013, 5:01 pm

Alan Watts may have a point there allthough I think that at least some of these rituals can have a universal value. Apart from the buddhist rituals I think it is quite hard for western buddhists who leave their own country to enter monastries in for instance Japan, Thailand or the Himalaya to come to terms with and understand the culture of the country they temporarily or permanently inhabit Not to mention the fact that a lack of knowledge of the local language can be a problem.

That doesn't take away the fact that I would prefer to go to the countries that buddhism originates from and partake in the rituals as well. That is because of the fact that I am a bit afraid of a watered down and " easy to digest" form of buddhism that is specifically meant and adapted for the benefit of us westerners I am aware of the fact that the sectarianism in buddhism is caused by the fact that buddism has spread to different coountries and cultures which all had an effect on buddhism. Zen is influenced by the japanese culture for instance and tibetan buddhism by the tibetan culture and the original bon religion, There is nothing wrong with that in itself but still!