Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2015, 2:29 pm

Forgive me if I don't get it.

I go my own way too, but I don't need a label. It seems odd to label something based mostly on what you are not doing.

MGTOW seems like a contrived way of saying you think you are individual, but still need a clique.

For me I don't want to get married becuase I don't believe in it or want it. It has nothing to do with women or anyone else. I'm not reacting against anyone. If I'm reacting against anything it is the concept of marriage, as a legal and cultural status (although I have no problem with cultural/religious marriage for those that want it).

Yes some people are manipulative and there some idiotic social theories which are baseless. however I have to question the reasons behind why some become MGTOWs, I think it is more to do with their own issues which the project on others. Yes you are always able to find people with victim complex, or are self centred. However most people are just people, and if you are going your own way becuase you are reacting against others that are going their own way you can't be surprised if they don't care about your stance.

You are either going you own way, complaining about going your own way.

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2015, 4:11 pm

Glanced at it briefly, it looks like it's the latest fashionable way to reframe failure as choice.

Neotenous Nordic
Toucan
Toucan

04 Nov 2015, 5:16 pm

Sour grapes, the movement.

It's the male equivalent to feminism. What these two have in common is this:

"Opposite gender don't find me attractive, so f**k 'em".

MRAs seem more level headed.

I don't bother with any of it, because I only interact with women in a platonic manner so I never place myself in a situation where I could potentially be set up for abuse of any kind.

In that regard, MGTOW is like new-atheism. Some people are atheist, but don't make their lives revolve around talking about how they don't believe in any religion(because ironically, that would give power to that which they don't believe in). New-atheism however, depends on religion to sustain itself, because it is the center of its focus. Much the same with feminism and MGTOW. It requires the opposite gender boogeyman/woman for sustenance.

They do get into some interesting theories on social dynamics, but what's the point anyway when they boycott women? Why spend all day talking about someone who has no impact on your life? I don't get that.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2015, 6:23 pm

"New-Atheism" is an attempt to homoginise a set of beliefs and congreagtionlise. Totally lame.

However I take issue that I keep my Atheism to myself. I'm a critical thinker, I won't be dissuaded to from criticizing things objectively.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2015, 12:14 am

MGTOWS and "Red Pill Philosophers" are pretty f***d in the head. The people who subscribe to these movements seem transparently bitter to me. It's almost like they want to take a giant dump on romanticism because their life didn't go the way they wanted. I find their anti-romanticism even more disturbing than their misogyny. Their main contention is that love between a man and a women doesn't exist. We're all just walking pieces of meat trying to carry on our own DNA. Every interaction between a man and a woman can be reduced to some kind of "trade in value". That and feminism is the scourge of their existence. They stub their toe and blame it on feminism. Their ideas on evolutionary psychology are also ridiculously simplistic and reductionist. They aren't scientists and don't know what they're talking about most of the time. They just come up with crap that seems to make sense to them (i.e. reinforces their bias). They just continually reinforce their overly cynical view of the world with whacked ideas.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2015, 12:27 am

Wimins Are Eeeeeevil *cue ominous music*

Yea... This guy is a bit nuts...

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2015, 1:27 pm

Thing about red pill, is if you take the phrase at face value it is a pointless metaphor becuase it easier to say you are a realist. In the film it is not pointless becuase it is a visual symbol..

Most people think they are realists, the point is just because you think you are doesn't mean you actually are or everything they think is realistic. Perception is a powerful thing, and reality can sometimes be counter intuitive.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2015, 4:44 pm

0_equals_true wrote:
Thing about red pill, is if you take the phrase at face value it is a pointless metaphor becuase it easier to say you are a realist. In the film it is not pointless becuase it is a visual symbol..

Most people think they are realists, the point is just because you think you are doesn't mean you actually are or everything they think is realistic. Perception is a powerful thing, and reality can sometimes be counter intuitive.

Yea. They may be realists at some level, but a lot of MGTOW and Red Pill people on the internet go too far. They mistake having an ultra-cynical outlook as "realist". Being extremely cynical doesn't necessarily make you more realistic, especially if you start to see the world in rigid black-and-white conceptualizations.

I think part of the problem is that a lot of men put women on a moral pedestal, ironically. They first assume women are better than them. Women are supposed to be the more nurturing gender in their mind. When it turns out some women are just as shallow and self-serving as they are they start to demonize women. You can see that they have a double standard.

I'm not a fan of modern feminism, but it seems like the MGTOW movement is even more crazy and distorted. They are extremists.

Neotenous Nordic
Toucan
Toucan

06 Nov 2015, 4:56 pm

marshall wrote:
0_equals_true wrote:

Yea. They may be realists at some level, but a lot of MGTOW and Red Pill people on the internet go too far. They mistake having an ultra-cynical outlook as "realist". Being extremely cynical doesn't necessarily make you more realistic, especially if you start to see the world in rigid black-and-white conceptualizations.

I think part of the problem is that a lot of men put women on a moral pedestal, ironically. They first assume women are better than them. Women are supposed to be the more nurturing gender in their mind. When it turns out some women are just as shallow and self-serving as they are they start to demonize women. You can see that they have a double standard.

I'm not a fan of modern feminism, but it seems like the MGTOW movement is even more crazy and distorted. They are extremists.

Yes, it seems like MGTOWs initially viewed women and relationships with rose colored glasses, then got hurt and went from one black-white view to another, i.e extreme optimism to extreme pessimism.

A good dose of paranoia and prejudice is a healthy defense against being screwed over, but it can become so much as to be a detriment.

Interestingly, some MGTOWs seem to romanticise camraderie as a reaction to their preconceived notion of women being angels being taken away from them. It's like they needed to replace that which was lost.

Truth be told, men screw each other, and women, over just as much as women screw over men. Don't even get me started on how women screw each other over. I've heard some nasty s**t being said about a girl who was, prior to her leaving the area, being showered with compliments by the other girls in the group. Then as she leaves they proceed to pick her apart completely and slam her in the most vile and disgusting way you can imagine. It was a shock to see the complete contrast in how they talked to her face to face, and how they talked about her once she left.

It's a good thing to discuss gender or relation specific danger areas and tendencies as long as one doesn't paint a black-white world where there is only one oppressor and one oppressed. This is what feminists do, and MGTOWs despite them criticising feminism, do exactly the same thing.