[England/Wales] Police and Crime Commissioner elections

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2016, 3:31 am

Is anyone planning to vote in these elections?

Turnout for these elections is traditionally pretty low. Does anyone else think they're worth the bother?

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2016, 1:06 pm

I think the idea of these elections is a bit flawed.

A police commissioner should be a civil servant not a Politician. We don't need to be like the US. That is a totally different scale to us.

Civil servants are derided and sometimes rightly so, however in its purest sense it is someone who does their duty neutrally regardless of who in office.

We have politicians already that oversee policing.

It was a popular idea to start with, but I hasn't really resulted in a better system.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2016, 5:28 am

0_equals_true wrote:
I think the idea of these elections is a bit flawed.

A police commissioner should be a civil servant not a Politician. We don't need to be like the US. That is a totally different scale to us.

Civil servants are derided and sometimes rightly so, however in its purest sense it is someone who does their duty neutrally regardless of who in office.

We have politicians already that oversee policing.

It was a popular idea to start with, but I hasn't really resulted in a better system.

Police commissioners are NOT elected here, they are civil servants. Sheriff's are elected, but For the most part, county Sherriff's Dept's are in charge of running county jails, courtroom security, and serving eviction notices. --They will cover law/traffic enforcement in parts of counties that are unincorporated, or in towns that cannot afford a full time police Dept, but Sherriff's Deputies generally are second tier law enforcement.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2016, 2:22 pm

Fogman wrote:
Police commissioners are NOT elected here, they are civil servants. Sheriff's are elected, but For the most part, county Sherriff's Dept's are in charge of running county jails, courtroom security, and serving eviction notices. --They will cover law/traffic enforcement in parts of counties that are unincorporated, or in towns that cannot afford a full time police Dept, but Sherriff's Deputies generally are second tier law enforcement.

Sure

Police and crime commissioners aren't to be confused with the rank of Commissioner in the police.

Police and crime commissioners don't need any law enforcement training.

In London we have a mayor, so there is no Police and crime commissioner.

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2016, 5:15 pm

Cynic that I am, I see the low turn outs for our General, local Council and MEP elections, and I just wonder whether people really want to have a choice at all. If folks won't get out to vote when it can change entire government policies, are they really going to bother to cast a well informed vote for something such as this? I doubt it somehow.

I'm fed up with the constant hyperbole about having "choice" in every little thing. When I see my doctor, I don't want to "choose" which institution treats me, I just want the treatment that is indicated by my clinical needs. For someone who is not medically trained, or knowledgeable about statistics, how could they possibly make a better choice than a trained clinician, based on a page of data that they have no context for? I go to the doctor precisely so that it is not me that has to choose, in recognition of my lack of medical knowledge.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2016, 12:43 pm

I'll vote here in Lancashire if there's a UKIP candidate. There was last time. As I remember rightly, he was the only candidate who had actually been a policeman.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2016, 1:44 pm

Trogluddite wrote:
Cynic that I am, I see the low turn outs for our General, local Council and MEP elections, and I just wonder whether people really want to have a choice at all. If folks won't get out to vote when it can change entire government policies, are they really going to bother to cast a well informed vote for something such as this? I doubt it somehow.

I get the point you are making. For me it is about structure.

People want to believe there is some substitute for governance. Or everything can be near infinitesimally divided up and voted on.

The reality is you need a good balance of local an national government, and small Parliaments are better IMO.