Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

enz
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2019, 7:38 pm

I believe no-one should criticize a ethnicity unless they are part of that ethnicity

But under democracy any governments decisions are fair game as long as you don't generalize about its people

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2019, 10:15 pm

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2019, 11:42 pm

enz wrote:
I believe no-one should criticize a ethnicity unless they are part of that ethnicity

But under democracy any governments decisions are fair game as long as you don't generalize about its people

Rights guaranteed to citizens by the constitution should not be dependent on the whims of the majority that may have discriminatory feelings toward an unpopular minority.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2019, 11:54 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
enz wrote:

Rights guaranteed to citizens by the constitution should not be dependent on the whims of the majority that may have discriminatory feelings toward an unpopular minority.

Such as the right to choose their president based on an established set of rules (electoral college) which allows for the "popular" winner by individual vote count to lose?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2019, 12:20 am

Brictoria wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
enz wrote:

Such as the right to choose their president based on an established set of rules (electoral college) which allows for the "popular" winner by individual vote count to lose?

Walks us through it. What are you talking about?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2019, 12:24 am

enz wrote:

Not sure why you posted this.

Some folks say "all criticism of Israel is antisemitic". But Israel is a democracy. Its own people criticize the Israeli govt. with the same vigor Americans and Brits and Frenchmen criticize their own respective governments. So obviously criticizing individual policies of Israel is not, per se, antisemitism.

So I guess that I agree with you.

Last edited by naturalplastic on 22 Oct 2019, 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2019, 1:55 am

Brictoria wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
enz wrote:

I'm not a fan of the Electoral College. Regardless, it's apples and oranges.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2019, 2:26 am

enz wrote:

Why?

enz
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2019, 3:13 am

Wolfram87 wrote:
enz wrote:

Why?

It's not appropriate in the majority of situations

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2019, 3:18 am

I believe genital mutilation is a barbaric practice, no matter the ethnicity of the people practicing it. This practice is more common among certain ethnicities than others. Am I therefore not to criticise them?

Also, this would then mean that everyone talking about the evils of "white people" should keep their teeth together.

enz
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2019, 3:32 am

Wolfram87 wrote:
I believe genital mutilation is a barbaric practice, no matter the ethnicity of the people practicing it. This practice is more common among certain ethnicities than others. Am I therefore not to criticise them?

Also, this would then mean that everyone talking about the evils of "white people" should keep their teeth together.

point taken

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2019, 5:41 am

enz wrote:

Ethnicities are fair game for criticism.

Quote:
An ethnic group or ethnicity a category of people who identify with each other, usually on the basis of a presumed common genealogy or ancestry or on similarities such as common language or dialect, history, society, culture or nation.

These absolutely should be open to criticism.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2019, 8:44 am

enz wrote:
Wolfram87 wrote:
enz wrote:

Why?

Very true. Criticizing an entire ethnicity is racism, including when you're criticizing white people as a whole, but it's not racism to criticize individual people when you see the need, regardless of if you're of the same ethnicity as them or not.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2019, 8:51 am

It's wrong to ascribe a general characteristic to an individual person---in other words, to "generalize."

It's ridiculous to assume that a black person will be like the stereotype of black people which has been circulating for centuries. Much of the stereotype is based on erroneous information.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2019, 8:58 am

Fireblossom wrote:
enz wrote:
Wolfram87 wrote:
enz wrote:

Why?

Very true. Criticizing an entire ethnicity is racism, including when you're criticizing white people as a whole, but it's not racism to criticize individual people when you see the need, regardless of if you're of the same ethnicity as them or not.

Completely false, and literally the post above this one explains why.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2019, 9:05 am

Criticizing an entire ethnic group is certainly generalization.

Especially when one person from that ethnic group is criticized because of the alleged characteristics of that ethnic group----without really knowing the person at all.