Don't feel confident about the election tomorrow

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2024, 1:50 pm

I still feel quite undecided as to who I will vote for. I don't know whether it is labour, liberal etc. It won't be conservative though as I am not a big fan of the Tories. I don't really like Starmer though. My dad who usually votes Tory talks to me into not voting Labour probably because he remembers times under a labour government before Thatcher when they had strikes and blackouts in the 1970s and worries things like that will happen under a labour government but I mean we are in a different time now than it was back then but he quite liked Tony Blair and how he did some things. My mum and her partner vote for labour and they insist I look at their manifestos but a part of me just feels uninterested because I just feel disillusioned with UK politics at the moment. I just feel used to the Tories being in power for a long time and not used to change with a new political party in power.

King Kat 1
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2024, 9:11 pm

Hmm? I'm American so I've never had the experience of living in The UK nor living under its system of government.

However, I do know a little bit about politics there. I'd say The United States and Great Britain probably have the most drama when it comes to politics, although in American it's a total circus show and then some these days.

I've heard stories about Britain in the late 70s, with James Callaghan as PM and how things were really going bad, along with a top tax rate over 80%(I think). In America, Jimmy Carter was not faring much better.

The Democrats in The United States, tend to lose when they go too far to the left politically as it seems Labour in The UK seems to fall the same fate when the leader is too left wing.

Blair, seemed to me, similar to Bill Clinton as far as running the government in a more centrist fashion. My family tends to lean more Republican, but they did like some of the stuff Clinton did in office. i.e, welfare reform.

For me, I cannot vote for Trump as I think he's an awful person. Biden, is so feeble and frail, my guess is if he wins, Harris will likely wind-up being president at some point. It seems like more things get done when The Democrats are in power, and things tend to not get done when the government is divided. When the Republicans run everything, in recent times, everything seems to get messed up.

Yes.. I can see how it is not fitting into one party or another. These days this is where i am at.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2024, 10:16 pm

the GOP generally, by design, run things into the ground to prove their point that less gov't is better, at least for themselves and their moneybags.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2024, 6:45 am

American politics and British politics are different in that in Britain, one votes and while it maybe wize not to disclose who one has voted for, in reality one will never be looked down on by those who had different voting oppinions as at the end of the day, we all would rather have people vote than not vote, so even politicians would rather one vote for another party than not vote at all, as we all appreciate that we should have the choice and the recent low turnout has been because of the UK following stupid EU advice and insisting we have voting I.D. Those without I.D. such as middle age to elderly people who don't drive and who have never been abroad so don't have a passport, were told they had to apply for a "Voting I.D." and apply online. Most in that catagory don't even have access to the internet, so I would say that the voting numbers are down between 10 and 20 percent mainly due to elderly people who don't have I.D. and have no means to get information on how to apply for voting I.D.
My Mum had to apply for voting I.D. and it took us a few months to find how to get it for her (I had to look up on line and could jot use government sites as they immediately flood ones online device with so many cookies my tablet crashes and they don't work without them). Eventually found a phone number, and Mum delayed because she did not like the principle, but eventually she got one.
Now it took a while to to process as the person on the phone said they had not had anyone apply for one before, and when it arrived it was a piece of paper that was so easy to forge with anyone who has a PC and a printer, that one wonders what the point was?
We ALREADY have the voting slips sent to us individually through the post so why they insist on a voters I.D. is puzzling! Most elderly without I.D. have just not bothered to vote as for them the system to get I.D. is just too difficult to bother with as they are less likely to be online, and this is unfair, as the votes would have been a good 10% higher if not more.