Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2024, 8:15 am

Rep. Ilhan Omar projected to win Minnesota Democratic primary in latest test for "Squad" members

Quote:
Rep. Ilhan Omar of Minnesota has won her Democratic primary, handily defeating challenger Don Samuels, The Associated Press projected Tuesday night. She is the latest "Squad" member to face a primary following the high-profile defeats of Reps. Jamaal Bowman of New York and Cori Bush of Missouri.

For the second time in two years, Omar faced a challenge from Samuels, a former Minneapolis City Council member. Omar narrowly beat Samuels in 2022 with a slim margin of roughly 2,500 votes. However, this time the results were not nearly as close. With more than 99% of precincts reporting, Ilhan was leading Samuels by a margin of 56% to 42%.

Omar didn't leave anything to chance. The incumbent lawmaker crisscrossed the 5th Congressional District knocking on doors, making calls and bringing out progressive heavyweights like Rep. Alexandria Ocasio Cortez and Sen. Bernie Sanders, who campaigned with her at a Minneapolis rally last week.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman