Oklahoma orders schools to teach Bible 'immediately'

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2024, 8:27 am

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cjk35vv2ryjo

Quote:

Oklahoma's top education official has ordered schools in the state to begin incorporating the Bible into lessons, in the latest US cultural flashpoint over religion in the classroom.

A directive sent by Republican state Superintendent Ryan Walters said the rule was compulsory, requiring "immediate and strict compliance".

The rule will apply to lessons for all public school students aged from around 11-18.

It comes a week after Louisiana's governor signed a law directing all public schools in that state to display the Ten Commandments.

In a statement on Thursday, Mr Walters described the Bible as "an indispensable historical and cultural touchstone".
"Without basic knowledge of it, Oklahoma students are unable to properly contextualize the foundation of our nation, which is why Oklahoma educational standards provide for its instruction," he added.

Mr Walters, a former public school history teacher, was elected to his post in 2022 after campaigning on a platform of combating "woke ideology" and eliminating "radical leftists" from Oklahoma's education system.
His announcement, which covers grades five to 12, drew criticism from civil rights organisations and groups that advocate for a strict separation of church and state.

"Public schools are not Sunday schools," Rachel Laser, head of Americans United for Separation of Church and State, said in a statement quoted by AP news agency.

"This is textbook Christian Nationalism: Walters is abusing the power of his public office to impose his religious beliefs on everyone else's children. Not on our watch," she added.

Mr Walters has previously argued that secularists in the US have created a state religion out of atheism, by driving faith away from the public square.

In an op-ed last year for Fox News, he wrote that US President Joe Biden and the teacher unions had supplanted biblical values with "woke, anti-education values that tell students that they should treat their classmates differently depending on their race and sex and that they should be taught graphic sexual content at a young of an age as possible".

In a statement, the Interfaith Alliance - a US group that seeks to protect religious freedoms - called the Oklahoma superintendent's directive "blatant religious coercion".

“True religious freedom means ensuring that no one religious group is allowed to impose their viewpoint on all Americans," the statement added.

It comes a week after Louisiana ordered all classrooms up to university level in the state to display a poster of the Ten Commandments.

Days later, nine families in the state sued Louisiana, marking the start of what some expect will be a protracted legal battle.

The complaint, backed by civil rights groups, argues that such a display violates the First Amendment of the US Constitution, which guarantees freedom of religion, and that the display "pressures" students into adopting the state's favoured religion.

There have previously been legal battles over the display of the Ten Commandments in public buildings, including in courts, police stations and schools.

In 1980, in the case Stone v Graham, the Supreme Court struck down a Kentucky law requiring that the document be displayed in elementary and high schools. This precedent has been cited by groups contesting the Louisiana law.

In its ruling, the Supreme Court said the requirement "had no secular legislative purpose" and was "plainly religious in nature" - noting that the commandments made references to worshipping God.

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2024, 9:35 am

They're still calling The Bible a history book? It is a religious doctrine centered around fairy tales and mythos at best.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

Harmonie
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Jun 2024, 10:28 am

A monumentally foolish move. So glad I don't live in that sad state anymore.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2024, 10:30 am

Wow! This is so disturbing. It’s always remarkable to me that people who hold such ignorant, bigoted beliefs can wield so much power in this day and age when we should know better.

Fear-mongering with no basis in reality:

Quote:
In an op-ed last year for Fox News, he wrote that US President Joe Biden and the teacher unions had supplanted biblical values with "woke, anti-education values that tell students that they should treat their classmates differently depending on their race and sex and that they should be taught graphic sexual content at a young of an age as possible".

People should be campaigning for schools to incorporate more critical thinking into instruction, not religion. I even think there should be at least one required class devoted entirely to critical thinking.

MoeTrashPanda
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Jun 2024, 11:07 am

Oh my god this is disgusting. It's sad that I'm not surprised at all that this has happened. ʕ – _ – ʔ

ʕ◉ᴥ◉ʔ

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2024, 1:05 pm

MoeTrashPanda wrote:
Oh my god this is disgusting. It's sad that I'm not surprised at all that this has happened. ʕ – _ – ʔ

It's Oklahoma, what do you expect?

Their Education secretary, Ryan Walters, appointed Chaya Raichik (founder of "Libs of TikTok", and doesn't even live in OK) to the state board of education. Her TikTok page regularly features anti-LGBT rhetoric, and she and Walters have been held responsible for the suicide of Nex Benedict.

Then you have state legislators like Tom Woods and that godawful Dusty Deevers who ardently support crap like that.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2024, 1:21 pm

I think that the Bible is well worth reading and studying--it is very entertaining (loads of sex and violence), plus no other book has had a greater impact on the history of Western Civilization.

But, I suspect that Oklahoma schools would insist on an evangelical spin.

MoeTrashPanda
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Jun 2024, 1:29 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
MoeTrashPanda wrote:

It's Oklahoma, what do you expect?

Their Education secretary, Ryan Walters, appointed Chaya Raichik (founder of "Libs of TikTok", and doesn't even live in OK) to the state board of education. Her TikTok page regularly features anti-LGBT rhetoric, and she and Walters have been held responsible for the suicide of Nex Benedict.

Then you have state legislators like Tom Woods and that godawful Dusty Deevers who ardently support crap like that.

Yeerrrp, which is why I said it's sad that I'm not surprised at all. Yuck

ʕ◉ᴥ◉ʔ

roronoa79
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2024, 1:54 pm

I would love if public schools in America would teach kids about the Bible. As part of a required world religions class. Teach them about the Vedas and the Quran and everything else. Have you ever talked to an American about religion? I swear my countrymen have some of the most braindead beliefs about religions.

Hell, even many Christians would benefit from learning about the Bible in a non-religious context. I appreciated Christianity WAY more after studying it than I did while practicing it.

Δυνατὰ δὲ οἱ προύχοντες πράσσουσι καὶ οἱ ἀσθενεῖς ξυγχωροῦσιν.
Those with power do what their power permits, and the weak can only acquiesce.

- Thucydides

Harmonie
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Jun 2024, 8:41 pm

Yes, students can learn about the Bible like I was taught about the Bhagavad Gita from a distant, cultural standpoint.

That isn't the standpoint that Lyin' Walters is taking. He wants Biblical instruction and "morals" taught in class. Make no mistake, this man is most certainly on-board with Project 2025.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2024, 10:45 pm

Um, shouldn't legislators take the Oklahoma government to court?
https://www.digitalhistory.uh.edu/disp_ ... &psid=4087

Did the American public take a "let's all forget for convenience" pill?

Harmonie
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Jun 2024, 9:59 am

cyberdad wrote:

If this goes to the federal Supreme Court, it very well may be ruled in Oklahoma's favor, because the SCOTUS is compromised and is ruling against the Constitution and all past precedents.

The sad thing is that this is the GOAL of these rules that Republicans are making on small scales. There is a clear agenda here set forth by the Religious Right over decades. This is their plan and we've seen it happen time and time again, and the SCOTUS eats it up because it is no longer valid.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2024, 12:14 pm

Harmonie wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

If this goes to the federal Supreme Court, it very well may be ruled in Oklahoma's favor, because the SCOTUS is compromised and is ruling against the Constitution and all past precedents.

The sad thing is that this is the GOAL of these rules that Republicans are making on small scales. There is a clear agenda here set forth by the Religious Right over decades. This is their plan and we've seen it happen time and time again, and the SCOTUS eats it up because it is no longer valid.

This.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2024, 4:10 pm

You've got to love how people will burn books for having characters as wizards or having same-sex relationships because they think they will harm children, but allow a fictional book about an imaginary Sky Daddy that's full of killing, gore and violence is perfectly fine to have in schools.

But then again, they also legally allow guns but not Kinder Surprise Eggs.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2024, 7:40 pm

Harmonie wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Is it even democratic to permit appointment of supreme court judges by a president? same ones who overturned long standing statute law?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2024, 7:47 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
But then again, they also legally allow guns but not Kinder Surprise Eggs.

According to one pro-gun lobbyist, apparently if the Japanese or Germans invaded the US mainland in WWII their numbers would have been eradicated in the first few weeks due to fighting house to house against US troops and armed civilian militia. Japanese imperial forces would have faced grandma or somebodies wife holding a rifle in every house they stormed. About the only advantage in having one of the highest rates of gun ownership in the world.