Page 1 of 6 [ 90 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

SkinnyElephant
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2024, 9:23 am

Has anyone else noticed extreme political beliefs (in either direction) are common in the ASD crowd?

If so, what are your theories on why?

On a different online community, a neurotypical claimed the ASD crowd is more prone to brainwash (and that's her explanation of why a lot of us hold extreme political beliefs). I call BS on her explanation.

Here's what I think the explanation is (for why a lot of us hold extreme political beliefs): We're more likely (compared to the general population) to get victimized (because we come across as easy targets).

Victimization doesn't necessarily mean crime victims either (although it certainly includes crime victims).

Here are the ways in which ASD victimization could lead to extreme political beliefs:

If we get victimized by a criminal, we might develop far right authoritarian beliefs (in other words, create a society where criminals are scared into leaving us alone).

If we get treated poorly by a boss because of our ASD mannerisms, we might develop far left pro-worker beliefs. On a related note, ASD adults are far less likely than neurotypical adults to be financially independent (which could lead to us developing the far left belief that the government should help us, or our jobs should pay better, so we can become free of our parents).

If we get treated poorly for our race, we might develop racist beliefs (Racist beliefs can either be far right or far left, depending on your ethnicity, and depending on which ethnicity/ethnicities you're racist against).

If an ASD woman falls victim to sex abuse (which happens to the female ASD population at a higher rate than the general female population), she might develop far left misandrist beliefs.

If an ASD man has bad luck with the ladies (which happens to the male ASD population at a higher rate than the general male population), he might develop far right misogynistic beliefs.

Lastly, one more factor to explain why the ASD crowd is more likely to hold extreme political beliefs: Even though neurotypicals can get victimized too, ASD makes us hyper-focus on one thing. So if we get victimized, we're more likely to make it our lifelong mission to correct the injustice (whereas a neurotypical is more likely to brush it off and move on if victimized)

angelsonthemoon
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

28 Aug 2024, 9:47 am

I think you're pretty much on the money. Another factor is that NTs are more likely to experience group identity through socializing. So, for example, a NT part of a religious group can feel that group identity by getting to know everyone, laughing with them, maybe hugging, etc. Many autistics struggle socially and even those who don't tend to be somewhat socially distant. This could cause them to fixate on the actual beliefs or purpose of a group to feel group identity.

You see this in a lot of things, religion, politics, even hobbies. NTs are more likely to be surface level fans or devotees. They know a little about the subject but are really about the group experience of the subject. Autistics are more likely to be experts on whatever it is. For us, it's more so about the subject itself, while for NTs, it's about the communal bonding over the subject.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2024, 9:58 am

It seems like folks on the spectrum are more prone to black and white thinking than the general population, so I think that could play a role in people’s political alignment. My sister-in-law who’s on the spectrum is a good example of that. She would never question the extreme religious beliefs she was raised with because it seems to be how her brain works. With her, things are either right or wrong; there are no gray areas or extenuating circumstances.

On the other hand, I’m on the spectrum and started questioning stuff as a young child. :shrug: I always wanted to know why such and such was a rule and was bothered by unfairness and injustice. My thinking: why go along with the status quo when something else may be better?

With all that being said, I think the word “extreme” is overused in this context. It seems to be a common ad hominem attack when people don’t like someone’s political beliefs. I’m firmly on the left but wouldn’t consider myself extreme or misandrist despite experiencing a lot of abuse from men. I am especially interested in women’s and LGBTQ+ issues, but I’m concerned about equality and human rights for everyone.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2024, 10:05 am

TwilightPrincess wrote:

I think the word “extreme” is overused in this context. It seems to be a common ad hominem attack when people don’t like someone’s political beliefs. I’m firmly on the left but wouldn’t consider myself extreme or misandrist despite experiencing a lot of abuse from men. I am especially interested in women’s and LGBTQ+ issues, but I’m concerned about equality and human rights for everyone.

100%

I've been abused by women as well as men. Using the OP's train of thought, I should be a radical misanthrope who hates all people and neuroses about revenge or justice. I did seek justice for the people involved but they aren't representative of the general population, and those experiences did not shape my political beliefs. My politics were developed at a very young age as an intrinsic part of who I am.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2024, 11:10 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
TwilightPrincess wrote:

I think the word “extreme” is overused in this context. It seems to be a common ad hominem attack when people don’t like someone’s political beliefs. I’m firmly on the left but wouldn’t consider myself extreme or misandrist despite experiencing a lot of abuse from men. I am especially interested in women’s and LGBTQ+ issues, but I’m concerned about equality and human rights for everyone.

100%

I've been abused by women as well as men. Using the OP's train of thought, I should be a radical misanthrope who hates all people and neuroses about revenge or justice. I did seek justice for the people involved but they aren't representative of the general population, and those experiences did not shape my political beliefs. My politics were developed at a very young age as an intrinsic part of who I am.

I think it’s an important thing to talk about because there have been times when people were dismissive of our opinions because of the abuse we experienced which isn’t right.

Sometimes negative experiences can give one insight into stuff that others might not want to think about. I’m thinking especially about issues related to sexism, consent, and abortion. Some of the most vocal fighters for justice and change are people who’ve experienced abuse or discrimination based on gender, race, or sexual identity themselves. Without them, I think society would look a lot different than it currently does. On a personal note, if I hadn’t experienced abuse, I might not be such an advocate for abortion rights. I wouldn’t be against abortion, but I suspect it’d be one of those things I’d try not to think about.

I know that Elizabeth Smart has used her experiences to fight for change in specific arenas as well.

I wouldn’t say that my experiences changed my fundamental political beliefs/leanings, but they have made me more interested in certain core issues and aware of the need for change. Once again, a lot of it concerns stuff that most people don’t like thinking about, but if no one thought about it, no change would be made.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2024, 11:27 am

TwilightPrincess wrote:

Some folks would probably be surprised if they knew how much we’ve done for men around here and how much we value the male friendships we have.

It's sad that your belief in human rights/equality could be considered divisive, radical, extreme, or controversial in any social or political arena.

I know you've reported several instances of bullying toward men on WP, including men who aren't particularly kind to you or men who bully and insult you as a 'radical feminist' in return. They likely have no idea you've helped or supported them behind the scenes because the details of reports aren't disclosed that way, and rightfully so to protect everyone's privacy.

TwilightPrincess wrote:
I wouldn’t say that my experiences changed my fundamental political beliefs/leanings, but they have made me more interested in certain core issues and aware of the need for change. Once again, a lot of it concerns stuff that most people don’t like thinking about, but if no one thought about it, no change would be made.

Exactly. Advocacy changes the world.

SkinnyElephant
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2024, 11:55 am

angelsonthemoon wrote:
I think you're pretty much on the money. Another factor is that NTs are more likely to experience group identity through socializing. So, for example, a NT part of a religious group can feel that group identity by getting to know everyone, laughing with them, maybe hugging, etc. Many autistics struggle socially and even those who don't tend to be somewhat socially distant. This could cause them to fixate on the actual beliefs or purpose of a group to feel group identity.

You see this in a lot of things, religion, politics, even hobbies. NTs are more likely to be surface level fans or devotees. They know a little about the subject but are really about the group experience of the subject. Autistics are more likely to be experts on whatever it is. For us, it's more so about the subject itself, while for NTs, it's about the communal bonding over the subject.

Well-said.

As an example, a neurotypical might join the Proud Boys simply because he views the Proud Boys as a drinking club.

If a man with ASD becomes a Proud Boy, on the other hand, he's more likely to put his all into the specific beliefs of the Proud Boys.

SkinnyElephant
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2024, 12:02 pm

On the topic of human rights, obviously human rights are important.

That being said, some criminals are irredeemable. By supporting the human rights of an irredeemable criminal (for example, by advocating for early release), you end up hurting the inevitable future victims of the irredeemable criminal.

I place the human rights of the victims over the human rights of the irredeemable criminal.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2024, 12:06 pm

Violent criminals forfeit their rights.
I'm not including them and nor am I a bleeding heart.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2024, 12:09 pm

SkinnyElephant wrote:

That being said, some criminals are irredeemable. By supporting the human rights of an irredeemable criminal (for example, by advocating for early release), you end up hurting the inevitable future victims of the irredeemable criminal.

I place the human rights of the victims over the human rights of the irredeemable criminal.

Caring about the rights of inmates doesn’t mean that one doesn’t also care about the rights of victims. When people broach this topic, it’s often presented as a false dichotomy. Some people can change if they are given the resources to do so. Those that can’t should be kept away from folks they can harm. However, I’m a strong advocate for prison reform. I believe that incarcerated folks should be treated humanely.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2024, 12:23 pm

I guess hating politics and politicians so much it hurts and wishing they'd all just drop dead, even though that would likely make everything worse, is an extreme political belief.

Also I've never voted for anyone or anything in my life, and I'd be clueless since they all look like idiots. Yeah, "look like".

I learned that politicians are bad because they lie and break promises constantly even as a small child. The first political joke I remember hearing was "How do you know a politician's lying? When his lips are moving!" And then there was an episode of The Muppet Show where comedian Phyllis Diller told Fozzie he had to learn to lie in his jokes, such as making up a spouse when he wasn't married. That way, if he didn't make it as a comedian, he could make it into politics.

SkinnyElephant
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2024, 2:03 pm

TwilightPrincess wrote:
SkinnyElephant wrote:

Caring about the rights of inmates doesn’t mean that one doesn’t also care about the rights of victims. When people broach this topic, it’s often presented as a false dichotomy. Some people can change if they are given the resources to do so. Those that can’t should be kept away from folks they can harm. However, I’m a strong advocate for prison reform. I believe that incarcerated folks should be treated humanely.

My post would get removed if I elaborated on what exactly I think should happen to certain criminals.

Let's just say I support an authoritarian far right government where criminals are scared into behaving (Then again, I also hold some beliefs that could be described as far left. There's truth to the horseshoe theory).

I suppose there are far left authoritarian governments where criminals are scared into behaving too (China)

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2024, 2:08 pm

I wouldn’t want anything bad to happen to people in prison who abused me. I’d probably feel guilty about it if it did, not that it’d be my fault. I’m just sayin’. Apart from more human concerns, prison reform/more humane practices are more effective.

A somewhat abstract concern that I have: I think that dehumanizing people isn’t good for anyone. IMO, we should be moving towards a more empathetic society.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2024, 2:16 pm

TwilightPrincess wrote:
I wouldn’t want anything bad to happen to people in prison who abused me. I’d probably feel guilty about it if it did, not that it’d be my fault. I’m just sayin’. Apart from more human concerns, prison reform/more humane practices are more effective.

A somewhat abstract concern that I have: I think that dehumanizing people isn’t good for anyone. IMO, we should be moving towards a more empathetic society.

I agree. When I said they forfeit their rights I meant their rights to personal freedom, freedom of travel, liberty, choice, privacy, and to some extent the pursuit of happiness while incarcerated.

I’m not advocating for torture or inhumane treatment. I do believe in reform for those who can be rehabilitated.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2024, 2:28 pm

I don’t think I’d mind violent criminals having good times in prison to some extent as long as they are away from those they could harm.

On the topic of efficacy in more humane settings:

Quote:
Norway has an inmate population comparable to 75 per 100,000 inhabitants. By comparison, the United States stands at 707/100,000,* and France at 114/100,000. Regardless of the smaller Norwegian population, currently standing at 5.3 million people, the numbers are glaring. Additionally, the recidivism rate has dropped 50% since the 1990s, from 70% to 20% today, one of the lowest in the world. What happened?

Let’s look at what did not happen. Norway did not extend prison sentences. They did not increase security and harsh treatment in their jails. They did not increase policing or militarization. They instead increased spending on better accommodations, which focused on building more agreeable and inclusive jails and changed their approach to jail systems to become more humane.

Norway now spends $127,671 per year per inmate, compared to an average of $25,000 in the United States. This spending increase has gone to newer, more modern prison facilities aimed at teaching the inmates to live in society after they are released, as well as remedial classes and better accommodations. If “Freedom is the only right taken away,” in other words, convicted criminals do not lose any other political and civil rights while incarcerated or after release. Since that is considered enough of a punishment, the inmates have the opportunity to benefit from school lessons and skill training in mechanics, cooking, and much more. The reforms from the 1990s have had a plethora of benefits. According to the Borgen Project, a non-profit aimed at reducing global poverty, the reformed system effectively reduced the population of prisoners, increased employment rates after release by 40%, and has had “long-term benefits to its country’s economy and also improves [the] personal lives [of inmates and ex-inmates].”

Another major change that occurred in the last decade of the century was a reduction of the maximum prison sentence. Gone is the time of life sentences, which has been replaced with a maximum sentence of 21 years, which can be extended by 5-year increments if the prisoner is not deemed suited for normal society.

Their incarceration system does not simply aim to punish but rather treats the prisoners like human beings and teaches them the skills necessary to become good citizens. From an outsider’s perspective, it seems to be rooted in compassion rather than disdain. Officers are trained for 2 to 3 years before being sent to work, with an emphasis on defusing violence and building relationships with the inmates. In the United States, training to be a correctional officer lasts weeks, if not months. More importantly, officers are trained to be aggressive and taught to expect the worst from inmates, leading to a culture of tension for everyone working and living within the system.

https://bpr.studentorg.berkeley.edu/202 ... on-system/

* Apparently, in 2021, the incarceration rate was 531 per 100,000 people, so the number has gone down a bit in recent years.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_ ... ation_rate

SkinnyElephant
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2024, 4:29 pm

TwilightPrincess wrote:

In the authoritarian society I aim for, the idea would be to scare most would-be criminals out of committing the offense in the first place (therefore they wouldn't get incarcerated in the first place)